• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

nampad

Damn, the gap between PS4 and XB1 is small if this is true. MS lucky to beat Sony with just a bunch of units so they can shout it from the roof.

donny2112

(I've always thought that franchise was kind of pointless on a portable system..but what do I know x.x)

The e-Reader version was interesting, since it was a board game with certain cards scannable for mini-games. GBA version was a divergence for the series, but Mario Party DS was supposed to be very good. On the flipside, Mario Party 3DS is supposed to be a steaming pile of vomit, so we'll see how it's legs go.

Radec

Final image. The real image is over my chart, you can see how my numbers are still off for a perfect match:

capturarjr.png

This is goood

So
-Holy shit XB1 > PS4, oh wait by aprox. less than 10k (Both twins doing very good)
-Wii U doing bad, but looking at how it was selling + New Twins + WTF Wii U > PS3, in the major scheme of things did better than expected
-Again WTF @PS3 numbers, Both Vita and PS3 sold really bad, but goes to show the hype around PS4 and how Sony is pushing for it.
-Damn Abysmal Vita #
-Still missing 3DS but it did apparently well aprox 1mil. Also considering that both new twins seem to be taking life out of every other system, that is a very good result.

Zinthar

The numbers for the Wii U seem pretty good to me, considering how poorly they did during the rest of the year. In the worst case scenario it seemed possible that they wouldn't crack 400k for the month.

Investors trading Nintendo's stock in Japan at the moment evidently aren't pleased, though, as the stock is trading down about 3% on the day, and down 9% for the week: http://quotes.wsj.com/JP/7974. The Nikkei 225 index is pretty much flat as a whole.

Did 3DS numbers come in under expectations, or were investors predicting much more from the Wii U? Or something else?

480K is "good" or probably more accurately just "a lot higher than expected"... considering how poorly the Wii U has been doing. It's much higher than I personally expected for sure.

It's still terrible in any wider context; e.g. last December Nintendo sold 1.1M units of home console hardware, this December that will only be ~630K.

It's bad compared to past Nintendo December's for the likes of the GCN.

And of course, there's this:
MZHVoFl.jpg

I think its a terrible showing.

The GCN was seen by gamers as a failure. It was profitable for Nintendo, sure, but the console was not a mainstream success. The library is revered (in hindsight), but at the time the system was plagued by seemingly long droughts. Third party software was lacking in volume (occasionally, receiving a gem from Capcom, Atari, Ubisoft or SEGA).

I vowed to never want that main console experience again. Ever since, MS/Sony have been my main system, alongside a Nintendo system.

Nintendo parrots the same old song and dance about change and learning from mistakes - and it's always a bold faced lie/affront.

Again - I loved the GCN (then and today), it was a terrible period and in no way was the system revered for its sales. It was a disappointment and a flop.

WiiU is less than that.

If Nintendo pulled the plug on WiiU after 2014, I'd applaud them for being brave and conceding a tough decision.

Killing a console early Is no less damaging than having a toxically terrible flop system. Both scenarios do potent damage to the Nintendo brand.

Lumyst

I bought it
after they dropped the price to $30

Okay, I'll admit. I got it at the B2G1 Target sale in November along with Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker. But of course I was cautious about getting it day one! It's not like other Nintendo games or anything else I'd ever played so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I have to say, I'm finding that there's an "addictive" quality to action games, the way they "stimulate" you continuously. But I now think, shouldn't "not being like anything you've seen before" have been an invitation to discover something new? I wish the guys who will buy a WiiU for Zelda would consider that there was a time when Zelda was new to them.

(And to stay on topic, I hope again that those new holiday owners of WiiU's drive the sales of the 2014 games, they surely didn't plop down $300 before tax just to have a Mario machine...)

So best guess right now is PS4 Dec NPD is 900K to 905K?

That would be insane if true

This makes me laugh, and I'm not entirely sure why. I'm happy to see both consoles doing well (though, the sony fanboy in me is pleased by them being so close).

Ah well...still not as gold as the PR from last month! I want more months like that.

Amir0x

Banned
If PS4 is 900k+ AND still being supply constrained, that is now truly nuts. This war is fascinating so far. As I've said from the start, Jan, February and March will show us the true landscape

sinnergy

Damn, the gap between PS4 and XB1 is small if this is true. MS lucky to beat Sony with just a bunch of units so they can shout it from the roof.

Yes, but a win is a win.

And with all the stories here about Xbox ones rotting in stores.. it's pretty funny. If you went by those threads Xbox One would have sold 300k.

The GCN was seen by gamers as a failure. It was profitable for Nintendo, sure, but the console was not a mainstream success. The library is revered (in hindsight), but at the time the system was plagued by seemingly long droughts. Third party software was lacking in volume (occasionally, receiving a gem from Capcom, Atari, Ubisoft or SEGA).

I vowed to never want that main console experience again. Ever since, MS/Sony have been my main system, alongside a Nintendo system.

Nintendo party's the same song and dance about change and learning and it's always a lie.

As much as I loved the GCN (then and today), it was a terrible period and in no way was the system revered for its sales. It was a disappointment and a flop, WiiU is less than that.

If Nintendo pulled the plug on WiiU after 2014, I'd applaud them for being brave and doing the tough and smart decision.

Killing a console early Is no less damaging than having a toxically terrible flop system. Both scenarios do damage to the brand.

Agree. Cutting and running too early hurts your most dedicated fan base, the people who actually bother to buy your disappointing console to begin with. That, more than anything else, is what killed Sega as a hardware manufacturer. Nintendo is stuck with the WiiU for at least another couple of years.

Edit. Misunderstood. Actually agree with you point. Kinda. Don't think it would be smart to kill the WiiU in 2014.

Final image. The real image is over my chart, you can see how my numbers are still off for a perfect match:

capturarjr.png
Wow so these are the numbers? MS won the month by the very skin of their teeth. I can see them going into overdrive to keep the NA market seeing as Sony was dealing with supply constraints. This generation will be a bitter war between the two giants for sure.

Wii U is doing worse than Gamecube on Nintendo's historical best month of the year. There is no spinning how dire a situation they've got there.

ethomaz

Banned
Guys I was talking with a friend and he said... thanks justiceiro

Remember, according MS PR, x360+x1 = 46%
100% = 3372

3372 - (X360 + X1) = 1821

PS3+ Wii+ WiiU + PS4 = 1821

This graph says:
299+150+480+900 = 1829
So would be like
298+149+479+896 = 1822

this is the most accurate we can get i think

So the numbers are few k to match the 46% from MS PR.

AHA-Lambda

just joined the thread, can someone explain that chart? I thought wiiu was 480k?

edit: nvm, read it wrong. looked at wii numbers by mistake

Zinthar

If it's that close between the big two that'd be hilarious. Well within the margin of error.

Hey nib, I remember you from some good arguments, errr discussions, some 7-8 years ago.

Anyway, is there a margin of error with the NPD's? That is, is it a statistical sample from a subset of retailers that they're extrapolating these numbers from?

In any event, the PS4 numbers are still supply-capped and I suspect it would have a large lead but for that. I wonder what kind of install base deficit Microsoft would be willing to accept before they decide to cut to $400. It wouldn't surprise me if they decide to match on price by September, because Fall 2014 may prove to be definitive.

Krakn3Dfx

So if Sony had managed to allocate just another 10k to the U.S. for December...

That's crazy, especially given that you can't find a PS4 in a store, while XB1s are everywhere at this point. Makes me wonder what numbers are going to look like now that the launch/holiday buying frenzy is winding down.

Hey nib, I remember you from some good arguments, errr discussions, some 7-8 years ago.

Anyway, is there a margin of error with the NPD's? That is, is it a statistical sample from a subset of retailers that they're extrapolating these numbers from?

In any event, the PS4 numbers are still supply-capped and I suspect it would have a large lead but for that. I wonder what kind of install base deficit Microsoft would be willing to accept before they decide to cut to $400. It wouldn't surprise me if they decide to match on price by September, because Fall 2014 may prove to be definitive.

Yes, that's basically it. NPD gets hard numbers from a large (?) percentage of the market, but they have models to estimate the rest. The numbers are close enough, but not 100% accurate.

KOHIPEET

Well, it was kind of expected I think. You need to count on things like supply constrains when you try to stock your console in more than 40 countries vs 13. It is still nice from the X1 though.

(It is nice in the short term, but PS4 willcontinue to considerably outsell it worldwide.)

any word on sw sales in the top 10 for this month?

edit: or vita numbers?

From earlier:

138991395288zqojr.jpg

1. Call of Duty Ghosts: 2.7-2.8 million

2. Battlefield 4: 1.3-1.4 million

3. Just Dance 2014: 1.3 million

4. Madden NFL 25: >1.2 million

5. NBA 2K14 : >1.1 million

6. Assassin's Creed IV: 1.1-1.2 million

7. Grand Theft Auto V: >1.0 million

8. LEGO Marvel Superheroes

9. FIFA 14: >0.5 million

10. Skylanders Swap Force

Lumyst

Agree. Cutting and running too early hurts your most dedicated fan base, the people who actually bother to buy your disappointing console to begin with. That, more than anything else, is what killed Sega as a hardware manufacturer. Nintendo is stuck with the WiiU for at least another couple of years.

I also wonder how it would affect the trust of the family audience if Nintendo were to, say, kill off the WiiU before the Xbox 360 (which also seems to have a hold of the family audience) is wound down. They have to stick with it, they at least need a platform to "practice" on to grow their software development experience and to grow their online community (Miiverse). I do hope they find a niche for providing at least some of the bigger family friendly franchises.

nib95

Banned

That is correct. They have numbers from a large selection of retailers and predict the rest.

And yea, we can gauge that PS4 demand is much higher, but by how much? How much more stock would Sony have had to bring in before it's demand also bottomed out in the sense that stock would be plentiful or healthy?

Zinthar

Ya in North America being equal sales to ms would be good for Sony, they will still destroy in Europe and Asia

Yeah, at this point Microsoft execs are probably sacrificing goats and crossing their fingers that Titanfall becomes the first runaway system seller exclusive. Otherwise they're going to get stuck in the ugly place where analysts start to call for a price cut and gamers hold off on buying it because they're expecting a price cut.

Nintendo parrots the same old song and dance about change and learning from mistakes - and it's always a bold faced lie/affront.

Again - I loved the GCN (then and today), it was a terrible period and in no way was the system revered for its sales. It was a disappointment and a flop.

WiiU is less than that.

If Nintendo pulled the plug on WiiU after 2014, I'd applaud them for being brave and conceding a tough decision.

Killing a console early Is no less damaging than having a toxically terrible flop system. Both scenarios do potent damage to the Nintendo brand.

Actually the Wii U is a great system. I was disappointed with the Wii and thought the Wii U looked terrible when revealed at E3. I picked one up and never expected to like it as much as I did.

It already has a ton of great games and the gamepad actually makes many of them better even when used for small things like inventory.

Mario 3d
Wonderful 101
Zombi U
Monster Hunters
Deus Ex
Resident Evil Revelations
Splinter Cell
Need for Speed
Pikmin 3
Mario 2d
Zelda WW
Rayman (love the touch screen Murfy sections)
Assassin's Creed 4
and many more have been keeping me plenty busy and entertained.

After a crappy launch the system really has gotten some great games.

I think they care a lot. They bundled TLOU and Batman with a 250 gig unit and sold it for 199 this holiday season. It's just not an attractive console in the US. Well, not as much as the 360 , PS4, One. And apparently the WII U once a year.

It comes down to this, sell 400k consoles at break even or sell 250k consoles at a $50 profit? People buying machines this late in the game are budget conscious. They are unlikely to shell out big dollars for new titles unless they are totally established. If they are buying library titles those are heavily discounted. With that $50 per machine they would need to buy around 5 games to make up for the software license fee Sony charges per copy. That sort of a tie ratio this late in the game is unlikely. Make money on the hardware while you can and slowly burn off the stock.

CrisKre

In comparison to its own previous sales, sure?

Compared to every other major system sold in the US it's tracking worse
That goes without saying. But it gaff a good bump of the back of 3d Mario. That may be an indicator that with notable releases it could become a viable system. It will be ingesting to see what Smash and Kart do for the system.

Now the vita, that is a train wreck. Good Lord.

Top Bottom