• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

Zinthar

That is correct. They have numbers from a large selection of retailers and predict the rest.

And yea, we can gauge that PS4 demand is much higher, but by how much? How much more stock would Sony have had to bring in before it's demand also bottomed out in the sense that stock would be plentiful or healthy?

Hard to say, especially because we don't know how much Sony will hold in inventory for the Japan launch. There's at least a 6-week drought until Titanfall, Infamous, and MGS arrive, so Sony could conceivably manage supply to where PS4 is commonly sold out, which would probably be smart to do for at least a while longer.

After creamsugars latest post on the console difference and going with 858K for PS4, plus using Greenbergs software numbers, which look to be rounded amounts, I get this for a swag at the US tie ratios:

XB1 US LTD: 909+908 = 1817
PS4 US LTD: 1138+858 = 1996

Software
XB1 Total: 4800
XB1 1st/2nd Party: 1500
XB1 3rd Party: 3300

PS4 Total: 4200
PS4 1st/2nd Party: 600
PS4 3rd Party: 3600

Tie Ratio
XB1 Total: 2.64
XB1 1st/2nd Party: 0.82
XB1 3rd Party: 1.82

PS4 Total: 2.10
PS4 1st/2nd Party: 0.30
PS4 3rd Party: 1.80

Damn.

And still sold out too.

MS might have sold more in Dec, but it seems like a Pyrrhic victory when your competitor is keeping pace and sold out. I expected both to be in the realm of 1.5 million units though. I was hoping for a really big Dec.

Zinthar

Do we have a reliable estimate on PS4 WW sales through the end of December? I'm curious as to whether it has passed Wii U yet.

Mr Swine

Banned
Good numbers for PS4, Xbone and I guess Wii U since it beat PS3?

How much less did Vita sell against Wii U? Hasn't the Wii U passed Vitas LTD?

FTF

And of course, there's this:
MZHVoFl.jpg

Dayum! And it'd be/look even more crazy if the PS4/Xbone lines started in Nov when they launched instead of Oct. (unless I'm missing something with that)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
XB1's software is the most surprising part of the month to me.

Well that and Mario Party doing 252K. Had no idea anyone was going to buy that when it came on a completely stacked day.

Zinthar

Dayum! And it'd be/look even more crazy if the PS4/Xbone lines started in Nov when they launched instead of Oct. (unless I'm missing something with that)

The numbers are recorded for the end of the month, so starting at zero units in October is saying that they hadn't sold any as of Oct 31.

Chinner

Banned
you can tell the ps4 numbers were just a blip in november, and you can already tell the hype for titanfall build up. wow its going to be colossal, the biggest gaming event we'll ever see.

Bulzeeb

That's kind of surprising. Wonder if Rayman would've done much better launching in February as a Wii U exclusive for 6 months.

thats a possibility I mean what other good games where around that time for wii U and don't forget that the game had a lot of hype back thn

Lumyst

Oh wow, that's way lower than I remembered. XD Thanks!

I remember wondering about Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate on the 3DS. As much as I love niche Japanese games, I had an uneasiness about whether Arkham Origins Blackgate would be one of the last "core" western, retail titles for the 3DS. Reggie saying third parties are waiting for the install base to be driven before jumping in to Nintendo consoles. Okay, well if the WiiU hasn't met that condition yet, what about 3DS? But I'm not getting the feeling that there's more games such as that coming to the 3DS in the future. Do you remember its numbers?

ZoddGutts

Looks like the gap between the PS4 and Xbox One isn't that far apart despite the PS4 being supply constraint and the XOne having a huge shipment. Next few months will be interesting.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Last month Sony sold 1138K PS4 consoles.

This month Sony sold -24% consoles.

And? They sold every console they shipped, so they shipped 24% less, which isn't saying much because Nov had a time to stock pile.

Xbox One is going to be a distant second this whole gen. WOW at PS4 numbers. Impressive.

Probably. I tend to think that the disparity in demand is 20% hype and 80% price. Microsoft will be chasing Sony on the price for most of the generation. Unless...

Microsoft could cut the price on the current bundle to $450, and then sell a Kinect-less SKU for $350, and get ahead of Sony on the price.

They could, but they won't. If the focus on profitability that Microsoft is rumored to have for the Xbone is true, then Microsoft may not be willing to sacrifice cash flow for system sales. If they are a distant second and profitable, they won't care. And the Xbone will still sell enough to get third party support, the same way the PS3 did during the first half of the last generation.

If it were this system, with the Microsoft of old, there would already be price parity, and the Xbone would be ahead in the US by pushing supply into the market.

Actually the Wii U is a great system. I was disappointed with the Wii and thought the Wii U looked terrible when revealed at E3. I picked one up and never expected to like it as much as I did.

It already has a ton of great games and the gamepad actually makes many of them better even when used for small things like inventory.

Mario 3d
Wonderful 101
Zombi U
Monster Hunters
Pikmin 3
WiiFit U
Zelda WW
Batman Arkham Origins
Batman Arkham City AE
Lego City Undercover
Lego Marvel
Nintendoland
New Super Mario U
CoD BLOPS2
Rayman Legends *Vita
RERevelaitons *3DS
AC4 *PS4
and many more have been keeping me plenty busy and entertained.

After a crappy launch the system really has gotten some great games.

Edited your list - I have every game listed, as it is now.

Whether the system has a respectable (yet limited) library, does not determine quantifying the system as failure.

Vita launched with 26 games, built up a fantastic library (I love the Vita library) & here we are: Newsflash! Vita is also a failure.

Enjoy the WiiU. I surely do.

But whether or not you enjoy the system, whether or not you fancy the library - neither instance precludes the factual reality:

WiiU is selling worse the GCN. The WiiU is a failing home system. If Nintendo aspires GCN sales (25 million); why compete in the home segment?

Anyone else surprised Last of Us only sold 1.5 million in NA? I expected a lot more units sold by now. =

Hmm there would be some digital sales of it but I'm not sure how much of an effect that would have. I think it did quite well considering it's the last year the PS3 was the main playstation console

LOCK

Console sales are decent, even the Wii U. Handheld sales are disappointing, but understandable.

I think the Wii U could see close to a 100k January. Either way 2014 will be a growth year for the industry and Nintendo needs to expand the 3DS line further.

After creamsugars latest post on the console difference and going with 858K for PS4, plus using Greenbergs software numbers, which look to be rounded amounts, I get this for a swag at the US tie ratios:

XB1 US LTD: 909+908 = 1817
PS4 US LTD: 1138+858 = 1996

Software
XB1 Total: 4800
XB1 1st/2nd Party: 1500
XB1 3rd Party: 3300

PS4 Total: 4200
PS4 1st/2nd Party: 600
PS4 3rd Party: 3600

Tie Ratio
XB1 Total: 2.64
XB1 1st/2nd Party: 0.82
XB1 3rd Party: 1.82

PS4 Total: 2.10
PS4 1st/2nd Party: 0.30
PS4 3rd Party: 1.80

Haven't added up the math, but I think the PS4 did in 2 months what took the PS3 an entire year.

Top Bottom