• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If only anything else benefited from that attach rate =(. Maybe this new base of users will be far more engaged starting February thanks to Nintendo releasing some first party games.

Yeah, as I wrote in the thread about revised forecast, Nintendo has a big issue with the software sales. Wii U (or 3ds outside Japan) owners don't buy software. Except for Mario and Zelda nothing sells properly.

qq more

sonic_lost_world_yoshi_stage_header.jpg

While I'm with you that Sonic Lost World does copy off Mario in ways, but this is a really stupid example. That's a crossover DLC stage, that's not the same thing.

JABEE

If PS4 is 900k+ AND still being supply constrained, that is now truly nuts. This war is fascinating so far. As I've said from the start, Jan, February and March will show us the true landscape

Yeah. I wasn't really sure why everyone was going nuts in the start to the thread. I'm surprised it was that close with all of the supply constraints. It will be interesting to see which manufacturer moves more in January with nothing of note being released. Will demand drop or will a lot of the people who missed out on PS4's in November and December will be patient enough and motivated enough to purchase now.

SmokyDave

Actually, if Vita/3DS multiplats routinely sell better on Vita over 3DS that leaves me to wonder if Sony has a future in the handheld arena afterall. I suspect what they may do next is some sort of dual OS thing where you can buy games from the Playstation store, or buy them from Google Play and run them in a sandboxed Android mode, and possibly dump carts entirely. Though I'd only think that's a good idea if they move to Micro SD cards or at least price their proprietary ones competitively.
Routinely? What figures have I missed? It wouldn't surprise me too much, but I'd like to see the details.

Sony have a future with handheld devices, but I can't see them making another dedicated gaming handheld.

terrier

I'm pretty confused by this post. If I remember correctly, the 360 sold at least 15 million more in the US. Many people shouted how important retail launch exclusives were and how amazing the Xbone lineup was. Despite reducing the launch from 18 to 13 countries and being readily available, it's still behind the PS4 US LTD (which launched in 50 countries and is sold out everywhere in the US).

And you're trying to say that begging for sales parity benefits consumers....Really? If you really cared about us consumers, you would be hoping for a landslide.

He doesn't care about consumers, if you knew him. He used to say his fellow spaniard comrades bought the wrong hw because they were ignorant in the past (PS3 vs 360 days)
Now that is the opposite his message is radically different. Power or price does not seem to be important anymore.

Now on topic, solid numbers for all next gen systems including wiiU, but again, it is a special period in the year + launch (both hype and stock issues) so it won't be until february or march that we may see what the trend may be this generation

Go_Ly_Dow

Throwing in two other games probably helped. 3 games for the price of one? In a popular series? Who can resist? I know I couldn't.

Marketing it alongside KH3 after the announcement was a great move.

Seems to have rekindled the fandom somewhat.

Will be interesting to see how XHD performs given the high rate of next gen adoption. Maybe they will bring 2.5 to PS4 as well...

He doesn't care about consumers, if you knew him. He used to say his fellow spaniard comrades bought the wrong hw because they were ignorant in the past (PS3 vs 360 days)
Now that is the opposite his message is radically different. Power or price does not seem to be important anymore.
n

oh wow, finally someone has tracked my post history! yay fans! /sarcasm

If you have something constructive to say instead of trying to dismiss my opinion and trying to make a fanboy of me, just say it, otherwise don't try start an argument like that.

Some good #NPD SW facts: #XboxOne YTD 2013: 4.8M retail games vs. 4.2M for PS4. COD & BF4 both sold better on #XboxOne.

Last #NPD fact: 1st/2nd party (exclusives) SW sales for #XboxOne 1.5M units vs. 599K for PS4. Led by Dead Rising, Forza 5 and Ryse.

1st/2nd party = 1.5 million XBO
1st/2nd party = 599K PS4

3rd party = 3.3 million XBO
3rd party = 3.6 million PS4

"Some good NPD facts."

lol. Poor guy.

B:TS ~ 202k
kh1.5 ~ 438k
tox ~ 156k
miku ~ 16k
TLOU ~ 1473k
gowa ~ 783k
sly ~ 208k
ni no kuni ~ 329k

tumblr_inline_muuftxX7N41rrc78e.gif

Especially that KH number. ToX doing well as well. Still cannot believe how well Ni No Kuni did with no advertisements.

PS4 keeping up with XB1 despite being supply constrained is surprising as well.

Eusis

Routinely? What figures have I missed? It wouldn't surprise me too much, but I'd like to see the details.

Sony have a future with handheld devices, but I can't see them making another dedicated gaming handheld.
It was something I saw mentioned in the Conception II rating thread, so I'm not sure how valid that is, though I can see among certain niche games like that it would do better. Kind of like how PC isn't where the largest sales are to be made on AAA games in the short term but indies can have far more success on Steam than consoles.

EDIT: And seeing the original post it COULD be just for Japan, though I wouldn't be surprised if similar happened here for the more niche games:
I have yet to play a Vita/3DS multiplat that isn't vastly superior on the Vita (there is a reason why such games sell far more on Vita in Japan than on 3DS, despite the 3DS's much larger userbase). 3DS is great for its exclusives, but when it comes to multiplats Vita is the only way to go, assuming you have both systems, of course.

Big props to MS. Selling more or even the same amount of a $100 more expensive console than your biggest and better competitor is nothing but impressve.

If my random math is correct MS made ~$100M more on HW than Sony in December?

That is very impressive given its specs and the overall internet bile and hate towards Xbone.

Jomjom

Banned
Losing by 45k in december to launch in many more countries and a 1.2 million install base lead ww? I think Sony can live with that.

Big props to MS. Selling more or even the same amount of a $100 more expensive console than your biggest and better competitor is nothing but impressve.

If my random math is correct MS made ~$100M more on HW than Sony in December?

That is very impressive given its specs and the overall internet bile and hate towards Xbone.

If you are talking about gross income sure, but definitely not net. The xbone costs more to produce than the ps4.

terrier

oh wow, finally someone has tracked my post history! yay fans! /sarcasm

If you have something constructive to say instead of trying to dismiss my opinion and trying to make a fanboy of me, just say it, otherwise don't try start an argument like that.

you post was confusing and some background may help. You already tried to spin the results by saying that PS4 shortages should not be considered in a sales thread in Christmas + Launch period just because a few said PS4 was outselling XB.

I heard many people expecting to be outsold by PS4 (some even thinking Wii U would outsell it) and arguing that would be doing badly because the US market is MS's priority and best market, so being outsold by the competition would be a failure

It is being outsold by the PS4 though, isn't it? Since launch, the PS4 is ahead or am I reading this stuff wrong?

I'm pretty confused by this post. If I remember correctly, the 360 sold at least 15 million more in the US. Many people shouted how important retail launch exclusives were and how amazing the Xbone lineup was. Despite reducing the launch from 18 to 13 countries and being readily available, it's still behind the PS4 US LTD (which launched in 50 countries and is sold out everywhere in the US).

I don't think my post is confusing at all. MS sold 15 mill units more because of some facts but mainly, they launched 1 year earlier and being 200$ cheaper than PS3 (50$ more expensive than Wii for the Core 360), those were the reasons that made MS sell that amount. Now MS and Sony are in a very different situation, while Sony learned from their mistakes and offered a great system for an incredible price, focused on gamers, MS went the other way, a more expensive console, less powerful but focusing on other multimedia aspects and adding Kinect to every SKU, offering something different. I didn't expect XB1 outselling PS4, that's the truth, I expected PS4 outselling it for 200k, but it didn't, so it could be because of shortages and these coming months PS4 could outsell again XB1, but as of now people keep buying XB1 so MS didn't do as bad as many expected, even more, they're doing very well.

And you're trying to say that begging for sales parity benefits consumers....Really? If you really cared about us consumers, you would be hoping for a landslide.

I'm saying that because, in my opinion, a neck to neck situation means more games and services to attract more costumers. but, hey, I might be wrong.

It is being outsold by the PS4 though, isn't it? Since launch, the PS4 is ahead or am I reading this stuff wrong?

well, I should've said "they would be outsold for this December's NPD"

If you are talking about gross income sure, but definitely not net. The xbone costs more to produce than the ps4.

Yeah that's what I said random math. For sure they made more money on the HW but I do not know really how much...

It's crazy, Sony should think about reassigning the stock from Europe back to the US. They should gain the biggest gap possible before Xbone gets a price drop - you won't achieve that with supply constrain.

BigDug13

And yeah Titanfall will slaughter PS3 and PS4 in March.

On what platform though? Xbox 360 sold 2/3 as many consoles as the XBO in December which is damned impressive this late in the generation. That system still has strong legs in the US. Titanfall will do quite well on the 360 and will sell to a majority of current XBO owners, but as a title to get people rushing to the store to buy the $500 console that is already sitting on store shelves? A game that is also available on 360 and PC? I don't see it making the splash that people think it will as far as XBO system seller.

I'm still trying to figure out what it's doing that even requires next gen technology, since it was originally designed with this engine so that it could be ported to PS3 and 360 easily.

It's not Gears of War. There's no WOW factor like there was when I played Gears of War for the first time.

madmad90

Banned
March NPD:

Titanfall 360+Xbone sales > 2x (best selling PS4 title + best selling PS3 title)

You can bookmark that.

100% agreed. And once the price factor gets wavered down and people look at the market for games, Titanfall and all the already released games will close the gap a lot. Not totally there will be a 1-2 Million lead for awhile.

But the Xbox One will always sell way better than expected.

Goddamn. Well done MS. The PS4 was outsold by a more expensive machine in the most important market in the world during the busiest shopping season. Crazy.

B:TS ~ 202k
kh1.5 ~ 438k
tox ~ 156k
miku ~ 16k
TLOU ~ 1473k
gowa ~ 783k
sly ~ 208k
ni no kuni ~ 329k
Jesus. Beyond sold 800k outside the US? That's pretty damn impressive. Also surprised about The Last of Us. Great number, but since it did 985k in June alone I kinda figured it would do more than 488k in 6 additional months. Oh well, still a great number.

Artorias

Banned
March NPD:

Titanfall 360+Xbone sales > 2x (best selling PS4 title + best selling PS3 title)

You can bookmark that.

I don't think I need to bookmark it, it sounds pretty reasonable. What's even coming out on PS3 in March?

I was just confused about why you were drooling over the thought of it, but after seeing a few of your posts I'm not confused anymore.

This gives us a lot of info about the 2013 sales So at 3 million 2013 we have:

US: 1817k
UK: 364k
DE: 100k

= 2281k

So 719k Sold total in the other 10 launch markets? do we feel the 3 million is accurate? 71k on average seems a little high for the remaining 10 countries IMO. What other figures do we have?

This is one of the takeaways from these numbers. And they don't really add-up for MS.

I think they have used some insane math to get to '3 million sold-through'. Actual units sold is likely closer to 2.5-2.8 million.

Steroyd

Yeah it sold about 865k.

Only a 40k difference in sales? Microsoft have already blew their load supply and demand wise while Sony is still keeping up demand January could get ugly, that's not promising looking forward from MS's perspective.

tbh I was expecting both consoles to break the 1 million barrier for some reason because of the focus on America Sony lesser so because of the they've gone international.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Software compilation:

Wii
Just Dance 2014 >800K

Wii U
Lego City Undercover - 242K
Pikmin 3 - 210K
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 93K
Rayman Legends - 88K
Sonic: Lost World - 82K
The Wonderful 101 - 49K
Game & Wario - 36K
Resident Evil: Revelations - 16K

3DS

Pokemon X - 1.63M
Pokemon Y - 1.54M
Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon >1M
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 910K
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - 472K
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS - 386K
Fire Emblem: Awakening - 370K
LEGO City 3DS - 365K
Mario Party: Island Tour - 252k
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 224K
Sonic Lost Worlds 3DS - 97k
Shin Megami Tensei IV - 96K
Project X Zone - 87K
Rune Factory 4 - 47k
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 36K
Etrian Odyssey 4 - 36K
Brain Age - 26K

PS3

The Last of Us - 1473K
Call of Duty: Ghosts <800K
God of War: Ascension - 783K
Kingdom Hearts 1.5HD - 438K
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - 329K
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - 208K
Beyond: Two Souls - 202K
Gran Turismo 6 <180K
Tales of Xillia - 156K
Resident Evil: Revelations - 53K
Rayman Legends - 30K
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F - 16K

PS4

Call of Duty: Ghosts >800K
Battlefield 4 - between 550K and 600K
Assassin's Creed 4 - between 500K and 550K
NBA 2K14 - between 400K and 450K
Killzone Shadowfall - between 400K and 450K
Madden NFL 25 - between 350K and 400K
Need for Speed - between 250K and 300K
FIFA 14 - between 200K and 250K
Knack - between 150K and 200K
Lego Marvel Superheroes - between

PSV

Killzone: Mercenaries - 102K
Soul Sacrifice - 72K
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - 67k
Tearaway -50K
Rayman Legends - 20k

Xbox 360
Minecraft - 1862K
Gears of War: Judgement - 764K
Resident Evil: Revelations - 55K
Rayman Legends - 42K

Xbox One
Call of Duty: Ghosts - between 800K and 900K
Battlefield 4 - between 550K and 650K
Dead Rising 3 - 526K
Forze Motorsport 5 - 457K
Ryse - 431K
Madden NFL 25 - between 350K and 400K
Assassin's Creed 4 - between 350K and 400K
NBA 2K14 - between 200K and 350K
FIFA 14 - between 150K and 200K
Need for Speed - between 100K and 150K
Lego Marvel Superheroes - between 100K and 150K
Just Dance 2014 - between 100K and 150K

Let me know if I've missed anything or anything is wrong and I'll correct.

Really happy for Pikmin 3 and seeing Rayman Legends, I think, Ubisoft made a big mistake with the porting decision. Had they released the game in February for Wii U, the more active userbase in the launch drought would have made this a more sucessful release. Also they could still have ported it to PS360 with some small additions later on anyway. Regarding Sonic, do we have numbers for Sonic Generations PS360 from year's end 2011? I wonder how this compares.

Eusis

Gran Turismo 6 has to be up there with the biggest franchise missteps this gen.
That one must be kind of weird because by most accounts it's a better game than GT5 and was otherwise a fairly conservative sequel in a genre that doesn't exactly require reinventing the wheel (well, maybe the wheel physics.) Just they had to release it BOTH in December one of the worst months for a launch in general from my understanding) and right after the PS4 launched. Maybe it'd work better had the PS4 been way more expensive/less desirable like the PS3, and if the generation hadn't gone on as long as it did, but it seems people are just ready to move on except probably for the small niche that'll buy up late JRPGs.

Facism

Goddamn. Well done MS. The PS4 was outsold by a more expensive machine in the most important market in the world during the busiest shopping season. Crazy.

even crazier when you know sony sold everything they sent out and xboxes are still widely available on shop shelves. a 50k difference when you've saturated your prime market and supply has outreached demand.

Big, big numbers. Wow.

Top Bottom