• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

Majmun

Yeah because there is no good reason to buy an Xbox .... I think we know who is the fanboy here.

PS4 has a higher install base in US, so why didn't JD sell more? Nothing to do with not being able to find consoles.

I dunno. Maybe X1 users wanted a game for their Kinect? JD is a fun Kinect game.

Mess.

I'm just saying the casual audience will give XBO more longevity. Sony can't rely only on hardcores.

$500 is A LOT for casuals just to play the latest Just Dance..........Peggle 2 on the other hand!!!

People are desperately lost to fanboyism and would buy a box of rocks if it said XBox on it just so they could feel cool. Old habits die hard.

Maybe people just liked what the system had to offer, games included. No need to crap on them.

Artorias

Banned
There actually was a standalone PS4 in stock for a moment, shipping the 25th. Pretending he happened upon it is obviously BS and I didn't see any bundle in stock but the standalone was there for a moment.

spekkeh

Banned
60 pages hoo boy. Sorry for asking something that's probably done to death. So Wii U sold 640k? That's actually better than Gamecube's second christmas?

edit: oh 430k and less? someone needs to update the op..

Kimppis

Americans surely love their Xbox. 360 (Netflix machine for 'Muricans?) is great, but One for that price on the other hand...

One is dead outside the US, though. Gap will just widen everywhere, when PS4's supply problems are over. However, because of the US sales, One might do decently overall. Maybe even half of the worldwide PS4 numbers or something...

quickwhips

2 things shocked me.
1) That PS4 didn't beat X1. I thought they were just selling out as fast as they got in. I didn't realize it was that supply constrained..I though the X1 was going to be more supply constrained than PS4.

2) Sony did add the 2 month thing up which sounds like something MS would do...

Good stuff though over all. Next Gen has begun and its pretty awesome. March is going to be amazing for games.

plank

I hope Ubisoft can help Nintendo out a little and for go the next iteration of JD for Wii and just port it to WiiU instead. Maybe that will help out in WiiU hardware sales a bit.

Xenon

2 things shocked me.
1) That PS4 didn't beat X1. I thought they were just selling out as fast as they got in. I didn't realize it was that supply constrained..I though the X1 was going to be more supply constrained than PS4.

2) Sony did add the 2 month thing up which sounds like something MS would do...[/p]

Good stuff though over all. Next Gen has begun and its pretty awesome. March is going to be amazing for games.

LOL. No Sony has been doing shit like this for years,

Ricky_R

Salvor.Hardin
Banned
(Today, 12:33 PM)

ozvl.jpg

I hope Ubisoft can help Nintendo out a little and for go the next iteration of JD for Wii and just port it to WiiU instead. Maybe that will help out in WiiU hardware sales a bit.

The Wii versions of all Ubisoft dancing games outsell other ports by a wide margin. It is not in Ubisoft's interest to skip Wii especially as Just Dance sales are decreasing now. I can see Wii support for Just Dance for at least 3 more years.

Elios83

Is it confirmed that the PS4 sold around 900k?
That would be incredibly close to the X1 number even considering the stock issues.
The most interesting thing is how badly the PS3 did, it seems like PS4 is killing it quickly in the US but honestly....the price is terrible...a 7-8 years old console still sold at 200$ or more while the next gen is at 399$ LOL
Vita is so dead....
Wii U did zombie like numbers, honestly I thought it do worse :p

So I have been saying that I expect to see MS win NPD for the next several months, but now I am not so sure. A couple maybe, but not several in a row.

~50k difference in sales despite OOS situation for PS4 as the norm and XB1 largely being in stock at most major retailers since before Christmas paints a pretty clear story.

I still think MS is in for a win in at least January due to continuing supply issues on Sony's end. We have seen that PS4 is still selling out within hours when large numbers come up on Amazon, and with PS4 launching in Japan soon, I can't see the supply issues getting much better in January.

Once supply catches up with demand for PS4, then we will see the Sony domination (Salvor.Hardin's words) for at least a few months.

Once PS4 has met the demand threshold, however, I expect the NPDs to go back and forth with the ebb and flow of big game releases.

I don't expect US Sony domination for the entirety of the generation, but even if Sony comes in a close second in the US, it has devastating implications for MS' market share there. They can't really afford to lose much more than they already have.

Harts316

X1 did pretty well considering Gaf was making me think sales where gonna be really weak because of the overstock pictures

I was thinking the same thing. The doom patrol on the XBO was really predicting bad things for Microsoft. They are still handing the generation to Sony. The fact that the system is $100 more than their direct competition and they outsold them during the holidays is incredible.

Once supply catches up with demand for PS4, then we will see the Sony domination (Salvor.Hardin's words) for at least a few months.

Once PS4 has met the demand threshold, however, I expect the NPDs to go back and forth with the ebb and flow of big game releases.

I don't expect US Sony domination for the entirety of the generation, but even if Sony comes in a close second in the US, it has devastating implications for MS' market share there. They can't really afford to lose much more than they already have.

It's bold statements like this that are hilarious. Regardless of who "wins" both consoles are selling really well and Sony and Microsoft stand to make a boatload of money this generation. Especially since they are turning a profit on hardware on day one. Words like "domination" and "devastating" are why people do not take these discussions seriously.

Curufinwe

We have PS3 numbers?

I was thinking the same thing. The doom patrol on the XBO was really predicting bad things for Microsoft. They are still handing the generation to Sony. The fact that the system is $100 more than their direct competition and they outsold them during the holidays is incredible.

All that shows is how supply constrained Sony was in the US due to launching in 48 countries in 2013.

marrec

Banned

I don't think many people were seriously considering the PS4 would outsell the XBO until Sony released the 4.2 mil number at CES. That's when you heard people start murmuring about an upset. With supply constraints it's hard to tell where the PS4 demand ceiling would have been in DEC, but it seems pretty obvious that the XBO had peaked with plenty of stock still available.

Standalone PS4 is in stock again on Amazon. I know its way off topic but I don't want to start a thread since it will sell out in minutes. Ships Jan 24th

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Console/dp/B00BGA9WK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389963946&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4

Mere minutes earlier and Salvor would have been saved by the console he so very wants to hate.

It's bold statements like this that are hilarious. Regardless of who "wins" both consoles are selling really well and Sony and Microsoft stand to make a boatload of money this generation. Especially since they are turning a profit on hardware on day one. Words like "domination" and "devastating" are why people do not take these discussions seriously.

That bold wording came from an MS supporter...I was simply using it in jest. I feel like you read up to that single word and then stopped.

And you don't think that losing a significant (oops, another descriptive type word you may disapprove of) portion of market share in a stronghold (do you approve of this one? I'm afraid to use descriptors now) territory would not have far reaching effect on the xbox brand?

Harts316

We have PS3 numbers?

All that shows is how supply constrained Sony was in the US due to launching in 48 countries in 2013.

Nobody knows this for sure. These statements are based on a bunch of anecdotal reports of people's visits to Target and Walmart and random pictures of pallets of consoles at someone's local Costco.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
My prediction is that Sony will state their sales in the next day or two, just like last time MS announced sales.
Considering that there are reports of new shipments of PS4 having arrived and sold during this week, could it be possible that Sony has now passed the 5M mark? They could soon put out a press release about reaching their FY goal a couple of months ahead of planned.

shandy706

I....well, I expected the PS4 to outsell the X1.

Guess not. I ended up contributing to the sales of one each. Did my part for both :)

I guess MS really did push the majority of their supply to the US. They may have sold a few more if they had dropped a bit of that stock in a couple more countries.

Sami+

Did the chart angles. They were close to what shinra-bansho got, and as he posted, they do not work with the numbers we have. Therefore, can't use the chart. :(

On the plus side, we don't need it for consoles! :D

Here's what we got, so far.

1. 3DS - ?
2. XB1 - 908K
3. PS4 - ~860K
4. 360 - 643K
5. WIU - 481K
6. PS3 - 299K
7. WII
8. PSV - ~95K

Just need 3DS. :)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where are these numbers coming from? I haven't been able to follow the whole thread.

goonergaz

I still think MS is in for a win in at least January due to continuing supply issues on Sony's end. We have seen that PS4 is still selling out within hours when large numbers come up on Amazon, and with PS4 launching in Japan soon, I can't see the supply issues getting much better in January.

I think patcher said Sony are shipping ~1m WW per month with 55% to the US, so that would suggest a ~500k for PS4 in January...not sure if XBO will do that many unless the overstocked XBO is just down to MS being much better at supply...

YMMV, but I am hearing stores like Best Buy are going to have PS4s for sale on this coming Sunday. Stock may be limited though. Sounds like PS4s are finally starting to trickle back into the retail chains after Sony pushed up shipments to before Christmas.

So starting Sunday we should start to see more regular shipments. Will be interesting to gauge how high consumer demand is still.

Pociask

The Wii versions of all Ubisoft dancing games outsell other ports by a wide margin. It is not in Ubisoft's interest to skip Wii especially as Just Dance sales are decreasing now. I can see Wii support for Just Dance for at least 3 more years.

Yep yep yep. All the more baffling that TT would ditch Wiii support for their Lego games. I know they said technology reasons or whatever, but come on. How many years did EA release a version of Madden on PS2? You've got fans on a system. Sell games to them.
The only reason I can think TT would do such a thing would be a money hat from Nintendo, which would be so crazy it might almost be believable.

No time to catch up to the whole thread now, but looking at the PS4 sw numbers that were creamy, it's no wonder third parties want to develop for Sony but not for Nintendo. Quick edit add: Wow those Wii U HW numbers. The sequel to a console that once almost sold 4 million units in one December. Somewhere deep inside me, my inner Nintendo fanboy child is weeping.

Is it confirmed that the PS4 sold around 900k?
That would be incredibly close to the X1 number even considering the stock issues.
The most interesting thing is how badly the PS3 did, it seems like PS4 is killing it quickly in the US but honestly....the price is terrible...a 7-8 years old console still sold at 200$ or more while the next gen is at 399$ LOL
Vita is so dead....
Wii U did zombie like numbers, honestly I thought it do worse :p

PS4 is supposedly 865K.

Here is another one...

I feel pretty strongly that both consoles are heavily front loaded right now. Maybe due to generational fatigue from the long x360/ps3 gen or other factors I am not aware of.

We have seen unprecedented sales for both consoles, which at face value seems like a great thing, but I think the supply meeting demand for PS4 (and maybe what we are going to start seeing for X1 in the US) is going to be like hitting a wall head on. I expect both consoles to be waaaay overstocked in the coming months.

I am expecting incredibly low sales for both from about May to Halo5 (if it launches in September...haven't all the Halos launched in Sept? I don't remember). I don't believe the PS4 is a Wii situation as some have speculated since Wii was a huge cultural phenomenon, so I expect PS4 sales to drop off as radically X1's will until the Black Friday/Christmas holidays 2014.

Top Bottom