• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

Maedhros

The base price of the 3DS XL is still higher than the NDS ever cost in general, isn't it? Yeah, there were sales, but even still, the NDS didn't take off big time until it was $129 as I recall. I think there is still room for growth in 2014, at least in the US.

I don't think they can afford a price drop on 3DS XL right now... it's not like it's components are getting cheaper at the same pace as smartphone ones. It would be better for them to introduce a new handheld in 2015 (releasing it on 2016).

goonergaz

I feel pretty strongly that both consoles are heavily front loaded right now. Maybe due to generational fatigue from the long x360/ps3 gen or other factors I am not aware of.

If you exclude the WiiU it's been a while since the last 'nextgen' launch...so that would make sense...long overdue

Artorias

Banned
those are over RRP - I think that's the point?

The person bolded the date(they were in stock at the time, not resellers).

Not a big deal, but it literally says "In stock, ships Jan 24th." That's how Amazon phrases it, and always has. People just like to nitpick.

test_account

XP-39C²
Really happy for Pikmin 3 and seeing Rayman Legends, I think, Ubisoft made a big mistake with the porting decision. Had they released the game in February for Wii U, the more active userbase in the launch drought would have made this a more sucessful release. Also they could still have ported it to PS360 with some small additions later on anyway. Regarding Sonic, do we have numbers for Sonic Generations PS360 from year's end 2011? I wonder how this compares.
Shouldnt Game & Wario and The Wonderful 101 have sold better then though? Those games were also released in a drought.

If you exclude the WiiU it's been a while since the last 'nextgen' launch...so that would make sense...long overdue

Yes, sorry, I always forget the WiiU...mostly because the system is a mystery to me. I have not been able to decipher why, but I have blanked it out of my vocabulary.

Pretty funny coming from a Vita owner which is arguably a platform on a whole other level of dead from the WiiU.

shandy706

Just saw that you get $100 to use towards an X1 at Best Buy if you trade in your PS3 or 360 (latest models).

That basically makes the X1 the same price as the PS4 for those who don't mind trading in to upgrade.

FE ~ 370k
Sly PSV ~ 67k
EO4 ~ 36k
Brain age ~ 26k
Dark moon ~ 1M+
MH3U ~ 224k
SS ~ 72K
LEGO 3DS ~ 365k
DS:SH ~ 36k
DKCR ~ 386k
ACNL ~ 910k
X zone ~ 87k
SMT4 ~ 96k
M&L ~ 472k
KZ:M ~ 102k
RF4 ~ 47k
Rayman PSV ~ 20k
Sonic 3DS ~ 97k
Party ~ 252k

All above LTDs didn't count bundle, but count special ed.

Time to crunch some numbers.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/1...ire-emblem-awakening-luigis-mansion-and-more/
The last numbers from September had: (Retail + digital)
Fire Emblem: Awakening 390.000
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon 863,000
Animal Crossing New Leaf 739,000
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D 268,000
Mario & Luigi Dream Team 190,000

I assume Creamsugar's numbers are without digital sales. So:now we are at (retail ONLY)
Fire Emblem: Awakening 370.000
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon 1M+
Animal Crossing New Leaf 910,000
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D 386,000
Mario & Luigi Dream Team 472,000
All are close or have surpassed their September digital + retail numbers with retail only.

Nintendo's recent (retail + digital) numbers have Animal Crossing: New Leaf at 1.1 million (So at least it has 190K digital sales) and 1.21 million for Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/16/p...ds-outsells-all-other-gaming-systems-in-2013/

As for Fire Emblem: Awakening. It was announced in April it sold 80.000 digital copies.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/1...sales-on-3ds-fire-emblem-awakening-at-240000/
So. It has at least sold (retail + digital) 450.000 in the US alone. Probably quite a bit higher now considering we are missing 8 months of digital sales ,but I can't confirm it without a source.
Worldwide FE sales are at least at: 450K (US) + 453K (Japan) = 903K.
Sadly. No numbers from Europe ,but I'm sure it sold enough to pass the 1 million barrier considering it only needs another 100K.

Bundy

Banned
Standalone PS4 is in stock again on Amazon. I know its way off topic but I don't want to start a thread since it will sell out in minutes. Ships Jan 24th

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Console/dp/B00BGA9WK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389963946&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4

gklj.jpg

Asd202

So Fire Emblem is around 500k with digital? Fucking ace.

KFWXeM2.png

I have to say, this is really interesting.

Casual audience is non existent on PS4, could be bad thing in the long run, especially seeing the XBO version selling well, even more than the Wii U version.

XBO is looking like the winner of this generation, they have both hardcores and casuals.

lol

Pociask

Yeah yeah yeah... was typing on my phone, brevity was important. In any event, Nintendo released 9 Wii titles in the US as Nintendo Selects. I can't find a US only list, but around 100 Gamecube games got Player's Choice releases. I'd also add in that Nintendo didn't release a Player's Choice game in the United States until May 2011. That was almost 5 years after the system launched. Hence my statement that Nintendo refuses to release greatest hits titles. Pointing out the tiny amount of games eventually released, one of which (Wii Sports) came with the system for many purchases, doesn't really change that. The greater point was that Nintendo was not serving its Wii audience - toward the end with any new first party releases, and not with aggressively marketing its library toward that audience either. And so the Wii audience drifted away.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The sales numbers worldwide for Dark Moon are a pretty solid piece of evidence that people in general aren't experiencing Nintendo franchise fatigue. Their problems lie elsewhere.

Genuinely shocked the X1 managed to outsell the PS4. Wonder if that will continue in the coming months. Especially with Titanfall on its way in a couple of months.

RELIGHT

Banned
Not in December!

Lol I know right. So it's 100k lead has been shaved to a miserable 50-70k lead while supplying fewer consoles. People are saying that GAFers were wrong to assume that just because there are a plethora of Bones on shelves that the system wasn't selling well. To me what this means is that Microsoft shipped over 1 million Bones to the US and failed to sell out during holiday season whereas the PS4 didn't ship 1 mill to the US and sold out. So essentially Microsoft should have beaten the PS4 more substantially in December than it did and it's a major failure that they couldn't sell out during peak shopping months. It appears the PS4 is in a position to win the long term in all major territories individually as soon as supply stabilizes which it always does. This is not spin, it's basic economics.

Lol I know right. So it's 100k lead has been shaved to a miserable 50-70k lead while supplying fewer consoles. People are saying that GAFers were wrong to assume that just because there are a plethora of Bones on shelves that the system wasn't selling well. To me what this means is that Microsoft shipped over 1 million Bones to the US and failed to sell out during holiday season whereas the PS4 didn't ship 1 mill to the US and sold out. So essentially Microsoft should have beaten the PS4 more substantially in December than it did and it's a major failure that they couldn't sell out during peak shopping months. It appears the PS4 is in a position to win the long term in all major territories individually as soon as supply stabilizes which it always does. This is not spin, it's basic economics.

Wow
such spinning
very whirling
much dizziness

Amazing results for the Bone considering the price point. They'll have no problems selling into the summer at this price. Titanfall is going to be a big hit and they'll be able to ride that wave for a while. Probably will need a price drop around then if their goal is to keep up with total sales (although it may not be).

Soriku

Good sales for Xillia and SMT IV. SMT IV I thought would be a bit higher, but still pretty good (plus it launched at $50). First month was 65-70k IIRC. Should be a little over 100k with digital sales. With Xillia, the PS+ deal should drive its sales a bit too, which is good.

graboids

Just saw that you get $100 to use towards an X1 at Best Buy if you trade in your PS3 or 360 (latest models).

That basically makes the X1 the same price as the PS4 for those who don't mind trading in to upgrade.

thats not too bad, I wonder if my PS3 is a "latest model" though... hmmm.

Kyoufu

Genuinely shocked the X1 managed to outsell the PS4. Wonder if that will continue in the coming months. Especially with Titanfall on its way in a couple of months.

It might. High demand worldwide and the Japanese launch coming in February means they will probably sell as many as they can supply for a while yet.

SmokyDave

The sales numbers worldwide for Dark Moon are a pretty solid piece of evidence that people in general aren't experiencing Nintendo franchise fatigue. Their problems lie elsewhere.

I'm not sure a franchise with 12 years inbetween installments is the best proof for that theory.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm not sure a franchise with 12 years inbetween installments is the best proof for that theory.

I mean franchise as in the characters themselves. One of the major complaints in the daily "what should Nintendo do next?" threads is that they keep putting Mario characters in everything, or that they don't put out enough new IP. That's all.

marrec

Banned
I mean franchise as in the characters themselves. One of the major complaints in the daily "what should Nintendo do next?" threads is that they keep putting Mario characters in everything, or that they don't put out enough new IP. That's all.

I think you're missing the point of that 'complaint'. It's more about the style of game being extremely similar to the previous one. New Super (X) titles seem to come out every 9 months and they all feature the same gameplay.

Whereas Dark Moon is a sequel to a well received 12 year old game that hasn't been replicated since.

The fact that it sold so well is actually proof of the kind of fatigue that's talked about.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I think you're missing the point of that 'complaint'. It's more about the style of game being extremely similar to the previous one. New Super (X) titles seem to come out every 9 months and they all feature the same gameplay.

Whereas Dark Moon is a sequel to a well received 12 year old game that hasn't been replicated since.

The fact that it sold so well is actually proof of the kind of fatigue that's talked about.

No, I'm not responding to the complaint that there are too many similar-looking (and playing) sequels released in too short a period of time. I'm responding to the complaint about too many games featuring the same characters period. The "everything has Mario in it" complaint.

For example, there have been a lot of calls in recent months for the short term "retirement" of Mario characters. That's the kind of talk that I'm addressing.

If this doesn't describe your view, then I'm not addressing you or trying to argue with you.

gtj1092

So I know this is a no no but Amazon rankings have been on point for Xone and Ps4 rankings in NPD.

On Amazon Ps4 won November and the Year and Xone won December. Same in the UK and Germany expect Ps4 won across the board for the year and both months.

Right now Ps4 is winning Janurary in the US and still going for over $100 above MSRP while the Xone is below MSRP from secondary sellers.

Also can some of the people claiming that everyone was saying xone would have bad sales in December because they could be found on shelves quote a post saying this. Should be easy considering so many were saying it. What the majority was saying is that sales would be good in December but demand was plateauing and sales would begin to drop in the coming months in contrast to Ps4 demand still being high.

Tsundere

Banned
It might. High demand worldwide and the Japanese launch coming in February means they will probably sell as many as they can supply for a while yet.

It's much easier to supply Asia/Japan than it is North America since the transportation of the units is much more complicated and takes a much longer time to reach its destination.

SmokyDave

There's no Mario, no Princess, no Bowser, and no Mushroom Kingdom*. I think it's those elements that make people groan.

*At least, I assume so. I haven't finished it yet.

It's a Mario spin-off, which is likely what was meant.
But it's not jam-packed with familiar faces and it doesn't take place in the same ol' environments.

marrec

Banned
No, I'm not responding to the complaint that there are too many similar-looking (and playing) sequels released in too short a period of time. I'm responding to the complaint about too many games featuring the same characters period. The "everything has Mario in it" complaint.

For example, there have been a lot of calls in recent months for the short term "retirement" of Mario characters. That's the kind of talk that I'm addressing.

If this doesn't describe your view, then I'm not addressing you or trying to argue with you.

That complaint is indeed silly... but Dark Moon selling so much shouldn't indicate that 'their problems lie elsewhere' unless by 'elsewhere' you mean the type of fatigue I was talking about.

Mario fatigue in general is a silly idea.

Good on Dark Moon either way.

Calamari41

41 > 38
There's no Mario, no Princess, no Bowser, and no Mushroom Kingdom*. I think it's those elements that make people groan.

*At least, I assume so. I haven't finished it yet.

But it's not jam-packed with familiar faces and it doesn't take place in the same ol' environments.

Right, I completely understand what you're saying and even agree with the sentiment to an extent. I'm just addressing the contingent that, for example, would complain about Kirby being in Epic Yarn rather than having it be a new IP with Prince Fluff as a new "mascot" character.

That complaint is indeed silly... but Dark Moon selling so much shouldn't indicate that 'their problems lie elsewhere' unless by 'elsewhere' you mean the type of fatigue I was talking about.

Mario fatigue in general is a silly idea.

Good on Dark Moon either way.

Yes, that's why I said "a solid piece of evidence" rather than "irrefutable proof." I agree that Mario fatigue in general is a silly idea, but it is still prevalent in many threads here. And "elsewhere" could indeed be the fatigue of too many similar looking and playing games being released so close together. I have long argued that NSMB2 did a lot of damage to the Wii U at the very beginning.

On the same topic, was Dark Moon the best selling Nintendo game of the calendar year in the US other than Pokemon? Even if it wasn't, it is definitely up there. Next Level has earned something. I don't know what, but whatever it is, they've earned it.

hooligan

Please revise the OP. According to the PR that was linked hardware sales were up 5% for Full Year and up 28% for December year over year.

Does not compute. First entry in this franchise in twelve years does well, and that proves people aren't sick of Mario/Zelda releases? These have nothing to do with each other.

marrec

Banned
Does not compute. First entry in this franchise in eleven years does well, and that proves people aren't sick of Mario/Zelda releases? These have nothing to do with each other.

Read up, we already talked about the specifics behind his statement, and they make sense.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Does not compute. First entry in this franchise in eleven years does well, and that proves people aren't sick of Mario/Zelda releases? These have nothing to do with each other.

This has been addressed and clarified robustly within the 19 posts between yours and the one you quoted.

They don't to me, because the claim has been deconstructed so much that it doesn't even seem to apply to Dark Moon anymore. It's a direct sequel to a very old game, and practically none of the elements thereof had been used in the interim except for out-of-genre cameos in Smash/Kart. The characterization of Luigi is so different in the Mansion games that he's basically a unique entity from what you see in the platformer a and other series.

I'm sorry that you don't understand what I'm trying to say. I take full responsibility for my lack of clarity. Suffice it to say, trust me when I tell you that what you are saying is not what I am trying to convey. I am addressing people who think that, even if a game has completely unique gameplay, Nintendo should not put familiar characters in them but rather should use the games to launch new IP. The kind of person who would say that Luigi's Mansion should be ______'s Mansion, with ______ being a completely new character unrelated to any existing franchises. The sales of the game provide evidence in my mind that people don't look at a box, see a familiar character, and walk away saying "been there, done that."

I am, of course, speaking solely about sales impact. It is still a fully respectable and legitimate opinion to hold if you personally want to see more variety in characters across Nintendo's games. I am one of the people who thinks it would be cool if the Epic Yarn series had a new character/universe attached to it. But I am not going to argue that it would have sold more as Prince Fluff's Epic Yarn.

They don't to me, because the claim has been deconstructed so much that it doesn't even seem to apply to Dark Moon anymore. It's a direct sequel to a very old game, and practically none of the elements thereof had been used in the interim except for out-of-genre cameos in Smash/Kart. The characterization of Luigi is so different in the Mansion games that he's basically a unique entity from what you see in the platformer a and other series.

Bruno MB

It seems that 3DS sales remain a State secret. In the past it would have been inconceivable a December NPD without a detailed Nintendo press release.

Ludist210

KFWXeM2.png

I have to say, this is really interesting.

Casual audience is non existent on PS4, could be bad thing in the long run, especially seeing the XBO version selling well, even more than the Wii U version.

XBO is looking like the winner of this generation, they have both hardcores and casuals.
Not sure if serious...using a game series (that should have died out three iterations ago) as a gauge probably isn't the best way to judge this. Plus, you know, the XBone and PS4 have only been out for, oh, two months.

Top Bottom