• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Shouldnt Game & Wario and The Wonderful 101 have sold better then though? Those games were also released in a drought.
W101 came after the "big" drought and Rayman is a game that very well fits into the Wii U established audience. In February most Wii U owners should have been finished with NSMBU and be looking for more in this genre. Game & Wario is way overpriced and W101 is even more niche than Rayman, releasing at a time that was already way later than the February-launch that Rayman aimed for.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Not sure if serious...using a game series (that should have died out three iterations ago) as a gauge probably isn't the best way to judge this. Plus, you know, the XBone and PS4 have only been out for, oh, two months.

Would love to hear your rational thoughts on why just dance should have died three iterations ago?

Unless you can think of another game brand that actively and successfully targets women and families, that keeps people moving and active, and is still the #2 sku overall (wii) across all platforms. Oh unless you don't like all those things?

I bet Skylanders should be retired next year too. Kids don't count as gamers either

Phades

Wow, looks like I got at least one prediction right. I said Vita 90k, and it'll be pretty close. I just don't understand why anyone thought the PS4 would make people interested in it. I don't 'get' even the very first part of that argument. I've tried remote play. Mainstream gamers were NEVER going to give a fuck about that.

I remember when I picked mine up on a trip to New York last Christmas. I knew buying it then that it was already dead, and had to accept that before purchasing it. So it's kinda funny to see that there's still some surprise at the figures a whole year and a month on.
Even if that feature would end up being a major sticking point, it is far too early in the PS4 lifespan to really push that feature for the Vita. Dropping basically $200 on top of the PS4 puts it more than the xbox1 comparatively and would be far less attractive.

The "best" move they could make in regard to promoting that feature would be to do a vita bundle with the PS4 and mark it up to near the xbox1 price in total. Given the sales volume versus shipment size of the PS4 and the current demand, they could swing that around a bit and create artificial interest keeping the Vita on a more stable life support for the next 1-2 years.

So with that info Greenberg/burg (sp) dropped about BF and COD, I guess it's like some of us were saying about not really seeing much of a difference and not really caring about 1080p vs 720p. People just want to buy fun games and play them.

Since the xbox1 launched in the US it has consistently outsold the ps4. If this is ONLY due to lack of ps4 stock thanks to the huge first week demand remains to be seen. January and February will be very telling on how the first year of the generation will roll.

donny2112

172.gif

About to go into the temple to try to get some clarity on his direction, gets a call that Kai Winn is on the station to talk to him instead.

Pretty sure that's it. Probably when he was thinking about getting married and the Prophets said he must walk his path alone.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Would love to hear your rational thoughts on why just dance should have died three iterations ago?

Unless you can think of another game brand that actively and successfully targets women and families, that keeps people moving and active, and is still the #2 sku overall (wii) across all platforms. Oh unless you don't like all those things?

I bet Skylanders should be retired next year too. Kids don't count as gamers either

Also, I think Just Dance is really well-made. I've reviewed the second game (thankfully, now my fiancée does the Just Dance reviews, it's not for me) and I really think it's a good franchise. By offering new songs and game modes each year, they offer at least as much justification for the new games as EA does for their sports games, but I'd tend to "even more".

Since the xbox1 launched in the US it has consistently outsold the ps4. If this is ONLY due to lack of ps4 stock thanks to the huge first week demand remains to be seen. January and February will be very telling on how the first year of the generation will roll.
Consistently outsold? It's behind the PS4 LTD in NA. And that's with lots of stock.

donny2112

Yeah yeah yeah... was typing on my phone, brevity was important. In any event, Nintendo released 9 Wii titles in the US as Nintendo Selects. I can't find a US only list, but around 100 Gamecube games got Player's Choice releases. I'd also add in that Nintendo didn't release a Player's Choice game in the United States until May 2011. That was almost 5 years after the system launched. Hence my statement that Nintendo refuses to release greatest hits titles. Pointing out the tiny amount of games eventually released, one of which (Wii Sports) came with the system for many purchases, doesn't really change that. The greater point was that Nintendo was not serving its Wii audience - toward the end with any new first party releases, and not with aggressively marketing its library toward that audience either. And so the Wii audience drifted away.

Oh, completely agree. Harped on the subject for years that Nintendo needed a more comprehensive Player's Choice line like on the GameCube. The GameCube line fostered later growth of series in the U.S. like Animal Crossing by getting people used to a game they weren't familiar with at a safe price. NOA majorly screwed up there, no doubt. Just pointing out that they did have something, even if it was way too little and way too late.

Ha ha ha ha.. I have a buddy Onslaught X in hardcore damage control right now. Excuses for everything. Ha ha ha. Always a great time of the month NPD time.

I know MS did amazing business with 360 but i'm stunned by the hardcore base they have. The amount of SW/HW they sold with X1 is just insane. Just didn't expect it at all. With that said my mind can't boggle the PS4 hype. It's only going to get bigger when it hits Japan and more steady supply.

Rough 5 year guess:
PS4 - 130M
X1 - 80M

jcm

Sorry I'm just catching up. 1M is the best 3DS number we have right now? I'd like to update my YOY and GOG charts, as well as declare a winner of the exciting 3DS vs PSP race.

Ha ha ha ha.. I have a buddy Onslaught X in hardcore damage control right now. Excuses for everything. Ha ha ha. Always a great time of the month NPD time.

What damage control is he running? PS4/Wii U/Vita? Hell even maybe the 3DS numbers

Sorry I'm just catching up. 1M is the best 3DS number we have right now? I'd like to update my YOY and GOG charts, as well as declare a winner of the exciting 3DS vs PSP race.

Supposedly someone at nintendo hinted that 3DS numbers are greater than 11.5 million LTD in the US so I think it's assumed around 1.1 million but still no clarification

If it helps

So numbers thus far?

[3DS] >1000K
[XB1] 908K
[PS4] 858K - 863K
[X360] 643K
[WiiU] 480K - 482K
[PS3] 299K
[PSV] <95K

Edit: Reorg by highest, added sources

Kysen

PS3 cratering like that suggests only one thing. The price is too damn high and when compared to the PS4 its value proposition plummets. Really shows how much ground Sony lost in the US last gen.

Bruno MB

[PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (Square Enix) - 438,000
[PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Namco Bandai Games) - 329,000
[PS3] Tales of Xillia (Namco Bandai Games) - 156,000

Nice trio, I'm glad they did well.

It's clear that people wanted a Kingdom Heart title for home consoles, it's been almost 8 years since Kingdom Hearts II was released. When you think about it Square Enix incompetence doesn't have any limits, the longest generation of consoles didn't see a new entry for their most successful series in the States, that's crazy. Kingdom Hearts (3.26M) comfortably outsold Final Fantasy X (2.46M).

Now I'm very curious about Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD. I'm sure the incoming Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII won't get close to any of these two remasters.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch has tripled its first month sales, the list of console jrpg's over 300,000 units must be very short. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2. I don't think I'm missing any other game, maybe Dragon's Dogma?

Tales of Xillia is about 5,000 units over Tales of Vesperia so it is already the second best selling entry in the series behind Tales of Symphonia with almost half a million units sold.

jcm

What damage control is he running? PS4/Wii U/Vita? Hell even maybe the 3DS numbers

Supposedly someone at nintendo hinted that 3DS numbers are greater than 11.5 million LTD in the US so I think it's assumed around 1.1 million but still no clarification

If it helps

Thanks very much. Very helpful indeed.

CaptainCally24

Neo Member
Not sure if serious...using a game series (that should have died out three iterations ago) as a gauge probably isn't the best way to judge this. Plus, you know, the XBone and PS4 have only been out for, oh, two months.

Whether or not the series should have "died out" doesn't negate the fact that it puts up sales numbers yearly in the Madden range... It's one game series that the since the Kinect came out has been able to pull casuals away from the Wii space & into the Xbox space.. As much as it aggravates hardcore gamers, from a business perspective, having the causals buy into your system is big

sörine

Banned
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch has tripled its first month sales, the list of console jrpg's over 300,000 units must be very short. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2. I don't think I'm missing any other game, maybe Dragon's Dogma?
Dragon's Dogma definitely isn't unless it had incredible legs. It may still be under 200k even.

I'm not sure if they count as JRPGs but both Super Paper Mario and Monster Hunter Tri are well over 300k. FFXIV PS3 might be as well by now. I'm not sure what else? Maybe Star Ocean 4 if you combine 360 & PS3?

If it helps

I made the comment...Iwata directly said in a press conference that now, according to NPD, 3DS LTD is >11.5 million.

Pain

Banned
So with that info Greenberg/burg (sp) dropped about BF and COD, I guess it's like some of us were saying about not really seeing much of a difference and not really caring about 1080p vs 720p. People just want to buy fun games and play them.
PS4 is winning the US. I think people care.
Shooters selling a little bit better on Xbox is expected. That will change once the gap increases between the consoles.

I made the comment...Iwata directly said in a press conference that now, according to NPD, 3DS LTD is >11.5 million.

It's in the OP of the NPD thread.

Ah ok thanks for pointing that out Aqua

Why isn't this in the OP?

I assume it's frowned upon to put too much attention on the leakers and thus it may be poor form to do what I did in that post. Not sure though but that's my assumption

CaptainCally24

Neo Member
PS4 is winning the US. I think people care.
Shooters selling a little bit better on Xbox is expected. That will change once the gap increases between the consoles.

Will it though? People buy what their friends have, if people have already bought into the Call of Dutys & Battlefields on Xbox One & when their non early adopter friends go to buy one in stead of see the "720p vs 1080p" argument they're going to see "Well my friends are on Xbox, so I'm gonna get that version. Titanfall coming out soon should also move the shooter needle towards Xbox more

Most surprising thing to me is the high Xbox One attach rate. It makes sense given they had more retail exclusives though. CoD and BF4 higher on XB1 makes sense when the hardware margin is only 150k and Xbox is the dudebro console. I'm sure killzone stole some shooter sales on the PS4 too.

So when should we expect these supposed Sony 'supply issues' to be solved? Should we look forward to a complete and absolute Sony domination in January? Or Feb? Maybe March?

I'd say Feb or March. I think the X1 has a chance of taking Jan., especially if the rumors of Sony fast forwarding stock from Jan. into Dec. are true. Hell, it may be even worse supply wise in January for the PS4. By March it should be sorted out, April at the latest. A lot of European retailers promise stock by Feb/March so that should be when. Feb. might be rough since they need to launch in Japan and depending on how well it does, March could also be affected. But really, who knows. Sony is focusing a lot on the US, but they're also not ignoring the rest of the world which is great.

Will it though? People buy what their friends have, if people have already bought into the Call of Dutys & Battlefields on Xbox One & when their non early adopter friends go to buy one in stead of see the "720p vs 1080p" argument they're going to see "Well my friends are on Xbox, so I'm gonna get that version. Titanfall coming out soon should also move the shooter needle towards Xbox more

It's not like COD and BF4 haven't sold well on PS4. I think the situation, at best for MS, will be 50/50 in NA, which is a still a big blow to them and a huge win for Sony. More than likely, once Ps4s are in stock, we'll start seeing it make the gap bigger.

Shooters sell well on the X1 because just look at the 360. It was called the "shooterbox" for a reason.

So the PS4, sold out everywhere sold only 50k LESS than the XBone, which is in stock (and has been for a long time) pretty much everywhere? That's very impressive, I must say.

Don't get me wrong, the XBone numbers are great.

Discomurf

Wow... its going to be ridiculously tricky for Nintendo to turn the Wii U around at this point, if its even possible. Maybe they should scrap it and start over with a more powerful box before its too late? Honestly, there are no good answers.

I know MS did amazing business with 360 but i'm stunned by the hardcore base they have. The amount of SW/HW they sold with X1 is just insane. Just didn't expect it at all. With that said my mind can't boggle the PS4 hype. It's only going to get bigger when it hits Japan and more steady supply.

Rough 5 year guess:
PS4 - 130M
X1 - 80M

MS would throw a huge party if they sold 80m XB1's in 5 years.

donny2112

Hmm I'll edit my post and take out the sources that aren't official.

Pain you mind editing your post too?

It's not critical. This is a free access forum, so anyone with enough time could trace back all that stuff themselves. I just don't like making that job easier for them. :)

It's not critical. This is a free access forum, so anyone with enough time could trace back all that stuff themselves. I just don't like making that job easier for them. :)

I understand that but in my mind if anyone truly wanted to root out such a person it really wouldn't be that hard. I removed the links out of respect for those that grace us with the numbers and not so much for the idea that it would really change any outcome if a certain company wanted to trace where the leaks were coming from.

Interesting if you look at total hardware #s:

[Nintendo] 1582k (if 3DS is 1100k)
[Microsoft] 1551k
[Sony] 1257k

-

lol MS family is doing strong in the US. Man the Vita is doing terrible, guess PS3 is starting to go that way in the US too

Discomurf

sörine;97469237 said:
There's also an estimated 150k for Wii.

We probably won't get them but it'd be nice to get DS and PSP too. I wonder if Vita outsold DS or not?

ah yes forgot the ol' Wii

Look out for Nintendo's incoming press release: "Nintendo sells more hardware than competition" ;)

RELIGHT

Banned

Rough 5 year guess:
PS4 - 130M
X1 - 80M

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

rick-james.jpg

RedAssedApe

Banned
where does the 865K for PS4 come from? the link from above post links to some other gaf post that doesn't have any numbers or am i missing something obvious lol

nevermind mis-read...math is hard

nib95

Banned

Not really. Because more people want PS4's, as in, there's a lot more demand for it, one reason which (along with many others like price) could be the multiplatform benefits. The Xbox One versions of games selling marginally better (in the US at least) just means Xbox One has a marginally better attach ratio.

Top Bottom