• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

nib95

Banned
It's a made-up estimate.

It's not a made up estimate. Unless you think NPD numbers themselves are made up estimates.

Aquamarine and Creampie have the numbers and have given us the hints. He said the PS4 sold 24% less than last month, where it sold 1,138000. Do the maths.

[PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (Square Enix) - 438,000
[PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Namco Bandai Games) - 329,000
[PS3] Tales of Xillia (Namco Bandai Games) - 156,000

Nice trio, I'm glad they did well.

It's clear that people wanted a Kingdom Heart title for home consoles, it's been almost 8 years since Kingdom Hearts II was released. When you think about it Square Enix incompetence doesn't have any limits, the longest generation of consoles didn't see a new entry for their most successful series in the States, that's crazy. Kingdom Hearts (3.26M) comfortably outsold Final Fantasy X (2.46M).

Now I'm very curious about Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD. I'm sure the incoming Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII won't get close to any of these two remasters.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch has tripled its first month sales, the list of console jrpg's over 300,000 units must be very short. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2. I don't think I'm missing any other game, maybe Dragon's Dogma?

Tales of Xillia is about 5,000 units over Tales of Vesperia so it is already the second best selling entry in the series behind Tales of Symphonia with almost half a million units sold.

Awesome sales for those JRPG lets hope this gen they come out faster .
Japanese devs need to get on current gen fast .

It's not a made up estimate. Aquamarine and Creampie have the numbers and have given us the hints. He said the PS4 sold 24% less than last month, where it sold 1,138000. Do the maths.

I'm a girl. *points at avatar*

Made-up is the wrong word to use. It is from NPD and while it is an estimate, NPD is only missing 5-10% of retail in the US so it is a very very good estimate

NPD gets direct, POS sell-through from all major distributors, resellers and retailers.

Their data is quite nuanced. Estimations for the other 5-10% are factored into the monthly numbers along with the POS information.

Finalizer

So then 865k is the final number for PS4, cool.

Still quite close to the Xbone for all its supply constraint from launching in & supplying several other countries all the while. Would've expected the gap to be bigger considering, though I'm assuming that whole airlifted shipment thing probably closed the gap considerably.

I don't believe your lies.

It's a made-up estimate.

~Keepin' the dream alive~

jcm

Some comps:
Code:
Year Over Year                  
          2013     2012    % Change
XB1        908            
360        643     1400     -54.07%
PS4        865            
PS3        299      625     -52.16%
WIU        481      460       4.57%
WII        150      480     -68.75%
3DS       1100     1200      -8.33%
NDS                 470
PSV         95      200     -52.50%
PSP                  50   

Family                  
MSFT      1551     1400      10.79%
SONY      1259      875      43.89%
NINT      1731     2610     -33.68%

HAND      1195     1920     -37.76%
CONSOLE   3346     2965      12.85%

Gen over Gen                    
Console   2013     2006    % Change
360                1100    
PS2                1500    
WII                 604     
PS3                 490     
TOTAL     3346    3,694      -9.42%

Handheld  2013     2007    % Change
NDS                2470    
PSP                1060    
GBA                     
Total     1195     3530     -66.15%

Also, I'm pleased to report that the Powerhouse™ 3DS beat the PSP's comparable year.
Code:
        3DS 2013  PSP 2007  NDS 2007
January      145       211       239
February     189       176       485
March        230       180       509
April        113       183       471
May          114       221       423
June         225       290       561
July         150       214       405
August       130       151       383
September    220       285       496
October      452       286       458
November     770       567      1530
December    1100      1060      2470
            3838      3824      8430

Hmm I had always thought as much but it's poor manners to assume as such

NPD gets direct, POS sell-through from all major distributors, resellers and retailers.

Their data is quite nuanced. Estimations for the other 5-10% are factored into the monthly numbers along with the POS information.

I understand that 90% of what makes NPD's numbers are based on POS numbers but once they add in the 5-10% estimates the final numbers become estimates. That's all I meant

test_account

XP-39C²
W101 came after the "big" drought and Rayman is a game that very well fits into the Wii U established audience. In February most Wii U owners should have been finished with NSMBU and be looking for more in this genre. Game & Wario is way overpriced and W101 is even more niche than Rayman, releasing at a time that was already way later than the February-launch that Rayman aimed for.
Its a possibility for that, yeah. I'm not sure if the total sales would have been that much higher though, because releasing it earlier on WiiU means that more people would have bought it there, leaving less sales for a later reelase of the PC, PS3, Vita and Xbox 360 versions (since many people had already played it on the WiiU in that case). Same reason why i dont expect the later PS4 and Xbox One versions to sell much, because many people have already played the game.

Hmm I had always thought as much but it's poor manners to assume as such

I understand that 90% of what makes NPD's numbers are based on POS numbers but once they add in the 5-10% estimates the final numbers become estimates. That's all I meant

I don't have this issue with you, but it bothers me when people emphasize the "made-up" aspect of these numbers.

All the major gaming corporations take these numbers as fact. These are the exact numbers they use for determining corporate strategy. While they may technically be estimates, they're understood as an absolute truth.

So, attempts to question the accuracy of this data are pointless.

I don't have this issue with you, but it bothers me when people emphasize the "made-up" aspect of these numbers.

All the major gaming corporations take these numbers as fact. These are the exact numbers they use for determining corporate strategy. While they may technically be estimates, they're understood as an absolute truth.

So, attempts to question the accuracy of this data are pointless.

Oh definitely NPD makes its existence on these numbers. They are most certainly not "made-up"

Fucking 12, man :(

I hate to say this but I saw someone return one the other day man. It's 11

Also, I'm pleased to report that the Powerhouse™ 3DS beat the PSP's comparable year.
Code:
        3DS 2013  PSP 2007  NDS 2007
January      145       211       239
February     189       176       485
March        230       180       509
April        113       183       471
May          114       221       423
June         225       290       561
July         150       214       405
August       130       151       383
September    220       285       496
October      452       286       458
November     770       567      1530
December    1100      1060      2470
            3838      3824      8430

Wasn't 2008 peak year for PSP? Going to be tough to match for Powerhouse 3DS.

Endo Punk

So much for the idea that Sony brought forward January stock for Dec. Unless Sony prioritises NA they will also lose Jan, Feb and March. And by that time the mindshare will quickly change in favor of Xbox1, which means it will positively effect UK sales.

The demand is clearly there for the PS4 but XB1 is fine alternative, if people can't get their PS4's then Sony is just pushing more and more gamers to Xbox. And in the most important market at that.

bad numbers for who?

Clearly PS4 did terrible in Dec. They only sold as many units as they sent to the US. That is unacceptable. In this day and age modern electronics should be capable of asexual reproduction and produce more units when it senses demand is greater than supply. Thus Sony has truly failed with the PS4.

Tsundere

Banned
So much for the idea that Sony brought forward January stock for Dec. Unless Sony prioritises NA they will also lose Jan, Feb and March. And by that time the mindshare will quickly change in favor of Xbox1, which means it will positively effect UK sales.

The demand is clearly there for the PS4 but XB1 is fine alternative, if people can't get their PS4's then Sony is just pushing more and more gamers to Xbox. And in the most important market at that.

The gap is barely 40k in December, and this is with excessive supply from Microsoft and supply shortage from Sony. The $100 difference is large enough for most consumers that they would wait for availability rather than choose a not so perfect substitute.

Iwata has really swung and missed with his gimmicks lately. 3D and now the Gamepad. Both are completely useless and just add more to the price of the product.

sörine

Banned
You don't get to those numbers without families, kids and casuals. The systems that did before like PS2, DS and Wii had those audiences in abundance. Even 360 made serious inroads there with Kinect and Netflix.

PS4 and XB1 have done a great job with core gamers but we'll have to see if they can reach beyond that to hit those sorts of numbers. Even 3DS is having trouble building userbase with these audiences and it's far better suited towards them than PS4 or XB1.

donny2112

A $100 price difference is more excusable by the general consumer in December because of gift-preference taking more importance than price at Christmas time. Past December, price is going to play a much larger factor. XB1's $100 premium cost is going to be an issue for it, until they can remove it somehow.

test_account

XP-39C²
Nah vita's dead dead, unlike the Wii U which is like death rattle dead??? But yeah Vita WW LTD has got to be pretty low
Hehe =) Unfortunately Vita's fortune isnt going to change much in the west, that is true :\ It has the best chance in Japan when looking at all territories worldwide. In the rest of the world, it will just continue to sell these small numbers.

njean777

sörine;97477664 said:
You don't get to those numbers without families, kids and casuals. The systems that did before like PS2, DS and Wii had those audiences in abundance. Even 360 made serious inroads there with Kinect and Netflix.

PS4 and XB1 have done a great job with core gamers but we'll have to see if they can reach beyond that to hit those sorts of numbers. Even 3DS is having trouble building userbase with these audiences and it's far better suited towards them than PS4 or XB1.

So a mobile system competing with iPhones and android phones is in a far better position then a home one? I am failing to see your logic.

donny2112

sörine;97477664 said:
PS4 and XB1 have done a great job with core gamers but we'll have to see if they can reach beyond that to hit those sorts of numbers.

The norm is to hit the core gamers first and then try to draw in mainstream purchasers as the price drops during the generation.

A $100 price difference is more excusable by the general consumer in December because of gift-preference taking more importance than price at Christmas time. Past December, price is going to play a much larger factor. XB1's $100 premium cost is going to be an issue for it, until they can remove it somehow.

And, PS4 would have been well over a million if it wasn't so supply-constrained. That is the sole limiting factor to the PS4's success so far.

Clearly PS4 did terrible in Dec. They only sold as many units as they sent to the US. That is unacceptable. In this day and age modern electronics should be capable of asexual reproduction and produce more units when it senses demand is greater than supply. Thus Sony has truly failed with the PS4.

iu4y7ZSzYKdjQ.gif

cakely

You came to that conclusion from a 40k unit difference between two consoles that both sold about 900k units this month? I suspect that you're reading too much into too little.

Steroyd

I find it hard to see where Microsoft will repeat the marketshare they enjoyed with the Xbox 360 inside the US plus I can see them doing worse outside of the US than the Xbox 360 by virtue of being the more expensive console plus way weaker brand appeal.

PS4's numbers is wholey dependant on whether the market hasn't shrank overall in the grand scheme of things, but again if sales are neck and neck in the US between PS4 and XB1 it's hard to see PS4 get that close to PS2, unless China starts buying consoles left right and centre.

I just don't get how you got to that conclusion. How does one month of sales with a 40k difference bring about such a sudden shift in consumer preference in a completely different market?

Also, what else does your crystal ball say?

njean777

I find it hard to see where Microsoft will repeat the marketshare they enjoyed with the Xbox 360 inside the US plus I can see them doing worse outside of the US than the Xbox 360 by virtue of being the more expensive console plus way weaker brand appeal.

PS4's numbers is wholey dependant on whether the market hasn't shrank overall in the grand scheme of things, but again if sales are neck and neck in the US between PS4 and XB1 it's hard to see PS4 get that close to PS2, unless China starts buying console left right and centre.

Could happen. We have no clue what the future brings. For all we know both sony and MS could go up in flames in the next two years, or could be doing extremely well. That is why I do not like people speaking about the future like they already know.

donny2112

And, PS4 would have been well over a million if it wasn't so supply-constrained. That is the sole limiting factor to the PS4's success so far.

Yeah, but was more referencing just XB1. Not just that it'll lose to the $100 cheaper system, but that it probably won't be as close as it's been these two months, in general, once we get outside of the gift-giving season.

sörine

Banned
So a mobile system competing with iPhones and android phones is in a far better position then a home one? I am failing to see your logic.
No. A closed box that's super cheap and with attractive games for the audience is in a better position then two other closed boxes at 3 to 4 times the cost and software that targets teenage males. Right now at least.

The norm is to hit the core gamers first and then try to draw in mainstream purchasers as the price drops during the generation.
Exactly. That's how both PS2 and 360 did it, which is why I said we'll need to wait and see. It's going to take much lower prices and wider casting software to manage it though, we're looking at years down the line here.

Loudninja

Huh the PS4 is still ahead in the US,not by much but yeah it is.

Also UK is a even bigger gap.

QaaQer

sörine;97477664 said:

Those audiences come latter, in years 3-6/7, when there are price cuts and cheap used games. 3ds is ill-suited because it can and has been replaced with multifunction mobile devices.

Piggus

Do you seriously think people are that impatient? Again, allow me to point out the supply constraints Nintendo faced with the Wii and how it had no impact on their success with that system. Price-sensitive people aren't going to shell out an extra $100 for a weaker system just because the console they want is harder to find.

donny2112

sörine;97478963 said:
Exactly. That's how both PS2 and 360 did it, which is why I said we'll need to wait and see. It's going to take much lower prices and wider casting software to manage it though, we're looking at years down the line here.

A good case could be made that PS2 made the Day 1 play for the mainstream consumer with DVD playback. Gamewise, it definitely came further down the road, though, yep.

Top Bottom