• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

~186k lead in the US from the estimates. In a supply-shortage situation, that is very good considering Microsoft is in a supply-excess situation.

As of January. The One was supply constrained throughout December, at least in SoCal retail. Then they got shipments after the holiday and they're just piling up. My local best buy has 123 of them.

I know MS did amazing business with 360 but i'm stunned by the hardcore base they have. The amount of SW/HW they sold with X1 is just insane. Just didn't expect it at all. With that said my mind can't boggle the PS4 hype. It's only going to get bigger when it hits Japan and more steady supply.

Rough 5 year guess:
PS4 - 130M
X1 - 80M

After 5 years? I doubt either system reaches 100 mil

Tsundere

Banned
As of January. The One was supply constrained throughout December, at least in SoCal retail. Then they got shipments after the holiday and they're just piling up. My local best buy has 123 of them.

I think I started to see more and more units stockpiling in stores around Christmas. The week prior to that I saw them by the handful, and once or twice I saw 10-12, but more regularly than not both consoles were off-the-shelves for the weeks prior to Christmas.

imtehman

Banned
i have to wonder why sony didn't allocate more in the U.S. It is the most important market, why even give MS a chance by not having any hardware during the all important holiday season.

You have to believe that Sony being supply constrained would leave many people looking for a next gen console to go to MS instead.

I mean come on, you let MS sell more consoles than you in December at 100 dollars more.

sörine

Banned
Those audiences come latter, in years 3-6/7, when there are price cuts and cheap used games. 3ds is ill-suited because it can and has been replaced with multifunction mobile devices.
I won't disagree with that but software and pricepoints for 3DS are still better suited to these audiences than any of the consoles now or for the foreseeable future and it's still having trouble.

What little success 3DS has carved out seems to be mainly off the back of core gaming too. It's main attraction is to largely the same general base pushing PS4 and XB1 right now. I don't think it's out of line to question if any of these closed boxes can really bring that casual audience back.

i have to wonder why sony didn't allocate more in the U.S. It is the most important market, why even give MS a chance by not having any hardware during the all important holiday season.

You have to believe that Sony being supply constrained would leave many people looking for a next gen console to go to MS instead.

I mean come on, you let MS sell more consoles than you in December at 100 dollars more.
Do you honestly believe one month is going to effectively change the outcome of this marathon?

Ludist210

Would love to hear your rational thoughts on why just dance should have died three iterations ago?

Unless you can think of another game brand that actively and successfully targets women and families, that keeps people moving and active, and is still the #2 sku overall (wii) across all platforms. Oh unless you don't like all those things?

I bet Skylanders should be retired next year too. Kids don't count as gamers either
I never brought Skylanders into this discussion.

For the record, I own Just Dance 4 on Wii U...well, my wife does. I gave it to her as a Christmas present in 2012 because she asked for it, and she NEVER asks for games. She plays the occasional game on her DS and on our Nexus 7, but she's a very casual gamer. Young female (younger than 30) and casual gamer. She enjoys it to a degree, but it's also frustrating to her.

She took dance through college and is pretty good at it, but I can consistently out-dance her when we play because I know how to move the Wii Remote even though she can dance much better than I can. It's hardly a waggle-fest (I'll admit I enjoy it when we play together), but it's hardly accurate enough for someone with her skill level. Maybe it's different on Kinect, but I can't comment on that because 1. I don't own an XBox 360 or an XBox One, and 2. I've not played any of the Just Dance games on Kinect.

The series started to tail off with 4 sales-wise. Maybe it'll pick back up with 2014 (can't judge that until it's closer to the this year's launch) and I know it's Ubisoft's biggest money maker, but I'm not a huge fan of the series. I get why people are, but do we need yearly iterations? Shouldn't that be what DLC is for, especially since the core game remains unchanged?

That's what I meant by "The series should die off". They don't need a game every year, they just need new songs. That'd be a lot cheaper to produce. My apologies, I should have been more clear.

Tsundere

Banned

They sold every single unit they made, I don't know what else you expect them to do.

They didn't let Microsoft sell more, Microsoft just decided not to launch worldwide and focus on a dozen markets (really focusing on one).

They aren't perfect substitutes, and the price still plays a big factor. We have to remember that it is still launch period, and the majority of the sales were guaranteed sales to the loyal fans, nothing indicates consumers choosing one over the other purely based on availability.

Steel

Banned

And yet, there are still more bought PS4's in the U.S than there are Xbox ones LTD. At the same time, they dominated every other country. I fail to see the misstep here.

jcm

150k for Wii is correct?
I was just posting what I read. I didn't mean to give the impression I was vouching for that number - I have no insider sources or information. If someone knowledgeable tells me I'm wrong then I'll change it.

Wasn't 2008 peak year for PSP? Going to be tough to match for Powerhouse 3DS.

2008 was the peak year for the PSP worldwide, but it was basically flat YOY in the US, with sales of 3829K units. It will be interesting to see if the Powerhouse 3DS can continue to match the Powerhouse performance of the Powerhouse PSP.

On the other hand, the DS went completely bonkers in 2008. Nintendo sold just shy of 10M NDS (9950K) in the US alone that year.

Caddle

The spinning in this thread is ridiculous. All year people were shouting their mouths off predicting doom and gloom for the xbox, and now this happens. Well if it shut more of the fanboys up am all for it. I just don't understand why some people care what other people buy with their money.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Any numbers for 3D World and Zelda: ALBW?

The thread moved really fast and I can't find any mention of them.

2008 was the peak year for the PSP worldwide, but it was basically flat YOY in the US, with sales of 3829K units. It will be interesting to see if the Powerhouse 3DS can continue to match the Powerhouse performance of the Powerhouse PSP.

On the other hand, the DS went completely bonkers in 2008. Nintendo sold just shy of 10M NDS (9950K) in the US alone that year.

Interesting. Considering that Nintendo has already released all the big guns and even cheaper model it's going to be tough to match 2008 PSP sales (in US). In Japan 3DS is of course well ahead but I wonder how is the situation in Europe compared to PSP... Too bad it's hard to get numebrs from Europe.

jjasper

This is a fanboy myth. People who want a system will get that system of choice.
I don't think it is a complete myth. If I hadn't bought my PS4 I know my wife would have gotten me a new system for Christmas and she would have bought an Xbox if it was all she could find.

It is really only something that would happen during the holidays and really isnt something that will matter going forward.

The spinning in this thread is ridiculous. All year people were shouting their mouths off predicting doom and gloom for the xbox, and now this happens. Well if it shut more of the fanboys up am all for it. I just don't understand why some people care what other people buy with their money.
Can you point to the spinning you're talking about.

Edit: Actually, forget it.

Pain

Banned

They lost by less than 50k in Decemcwr and that's with supposed low supply. I think Sonys doing fine with their current strategy. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint.

Every indication so far is that the amount that Microsoft outsold Sony by in North America is smaller than the amount that Sony outsold Microsoft by in... literally every other region other than maybe South America (now that the South American market is large enough to give unique recognition rather than being lumped into "Other").

Sony forced Microsoft to massively retract from their original launch goals in pursuit of consolidating their consumer base, and as a result they overstuffed their supply channels in their base market, costing them any possibility of positive expansion in growth markets compared to the 360. Because both companies are angling to (significantly) outsell their prior consoles, the US actually isn't the most important market - they're not actually expecting much more out of it than they got last generation - the major worldwide growth markets are.

Sony basically jabbed Microsoft in the nose to get their guard up, and now they're working the body like there's no tomorrow. It's relatively simple but incredibly effective. Hell, they're even cutting them out of the UK market; that probably wasn't in their strategic gameplan, it's just a bonus at this point.

It's not a made up estimate. Unless you think NPD numbers themselves are made up estimates.

Aquamarine and Creampie have the numbers and have given us the hints. He said the PS4 sold 24% less than last month, where it sold 1,138000. Do the maths.

Freudian slip? Isn't it Creamsugar?

jcm

Interesting. Considering that Nintendo has already released all the big guns and even cheaper model it's going to be tough to match 2008 PSP sales (in US). In Japan 3DS is of course well ahead but I wonder how is the situation in Europe compared to PSP... Too bad it's hard to get numebrs from Europe.

Yes, I'm genuinely interested to see what Nintendo forecasts for the next fiscal year. Their revised forecast for the current year has the 3DS under 14M again. I would guess they wind up forecasting flat sales and hope like hell they actually hit it, but they've been so bad at forecasting that its really difficult to guess what they'll do.

Road

npd_ytd_20133ys34.png

3DS at 3.8 million is the worst result for the best selling system of each year since at least 2001 (I don't have NPD data before that):

2001 PS2: 6.2m
2002 PS2: 8.4m
2003 GBA: 7.8m
2004 GBA: 7.1m
2005 PS2: 5.5m
2006 NDS: 5.3m
2007 NDS: 8.5m
2008 WII: 10.2m
2009 NDS: 11.2m
2010 NDS: 8.6m
2011 360: 7.3m
2012 360: 5.3m
2013 3DS: 3.8m

npd_ltd_201312ojsm4.png

Tsundere

Banned
It's not a made up estimate. Unless you think NPD numbers themselves are made up estimates.

Aquamarine and Creampie have the numbers and have given us the hints. He said the PS4 sold 24% less than last month, where it sold 1,138000. Do the maths.

Yum.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Sorry I'm confused by the negatives >_>.... So since we're talking in riddles we have 570K cats in the US?

Oh, I was just messing around. I was responding to some gentlemen who asked for a list of numbers, and I didn't quote him directly. I kind of do that. Zelda was not on that list.

KMS

Since demand for the PS4 isn't satiated yet in the US I expect the PS4 to outsell the XBO in January by a 2.5:1 margin.

Jamix012

This is a fanboy myth. People who want a system will get that system of choice.

BS. Especially around Xmas time to the less well informed consumer. Someone wants to play the next gen version of CoD and there aren't any PS4s, they may well settle for an Xbox One. A kid asks their parents for a PS4 for xmas and they can't get it, they may well get an Xbox One.
It's not exactly clear HOW many extra XB1s were sold this way, but it's certainly a significant factor.

Yes, I'm genuinely interested to see what Nintendo forecasts for the next fiscal year. Their revised forecast for the current year has the 3DS under 14M again. I would guess they wind up forecasting flat sales and hope like hell they actually hit it, but they've been so bad at forecasting that its really difficult to guess what they'll do.

I guess we should be happy to see Vita hit 2M LTD in 2014 then...

Razdek

Banned
Holy shit at the PSV numbers. I haven't used mine in a while but I thought the consensus was that when the PS4 went on sale a lot of people would also pick up a PSV as well because of remote play.

Holy shit at the PSV numbers. I haven't used mine in a while but I thought the consensus was that when the PS4 went on sale a lot of people would also pick up a PSV as well because of remote play.

Eh not really a consensus but that had been guessed by some. No one knew how much of an effect though. Vita is well and truly dead

Miles X

npd_ytd_201315s6g.png

3DS at 3.8 million is the worst result for the best selling system of each year since at least 2001 (I don't have NPD data before that):

2001 PS2: 6.2m
2002 PS2: 8.4m
2003 GBA: 7.8m
2004 GBA: 7.1m
2005 PS2: 5.5m
2006 NDS: 5.3m
2007 NDS: 8.5m
2008 WII: 10.2m
2009 NDS: 11.2m
2010 NDS: 8.6m
2011 360: 7.3m
2012 360: 5.3m
2013 3DS: 3.8m

npd_ltd_201312ojsm4.png

Don't get these figures, I have 41.33m for Wii, and you haven't even included Dec for 2013 sales?

Razdek

Banned
Eh not really a consensus but that had been guessed by some. No one knew how much of an effect though. Vita is well and truly dead

Oh well, when I bought it I knew it wasn't selling a lot and I've enjoyed the games that is has. No big deal if it relegated to a PS4 streaming device but I'm sure that's not what Sony planned.

Road

Don't get these figures, I have 41.33m for Wii, and you haven't even included Dec for 2013 sales?

You're right, my Wii for 2013 is missing December. Dunno why. It is included in the LTD and they are all from the same sheet. Weird. I'll adjust the chart.

As for you having a different LTD, well, probably the fact we've been making crazy calculations to find the monthly sales.

Miles X

You're right, my Wii for 2013 is missing December. Dunno why. It is included in the LTD and they are all from the same sheet. Weird. I'll adjust the chart.

As for you having a different LTD, well, probably the fact we've been making crazy calculations to find the monthly sales.

Cream has given us quite close figures though no? Did Wii do 150k in Dec then?

Comparison with 2012 (numbers in millions):

Code:
[B][U]System	2013	2012	Dif	YoY[/U][/B]
3DS	3.84	3.64	0.20	5.5%
360	3.07	5.32	-2.25	-42.3%
PS3	2.18	3.41	-1.23	-36.1%
PS4	2.00	-	-	-
XBO	1.82	-	-	-
WII U	1.21	0.89	0.32	36.0%
WII	0.80	1.96	-1.16	-59.2%
Vita	0.45	1.28	-0.83	-64.8%

What happened when the X1 drops in price and all those 360 owners jump into the new generation?

Are you asking about an alternate reality where the XB1 has already dropped in price???

Assuming you mean present tense in reference to the future of what might happen if the XB1 drops its price, evidence we have thus far on both PS/Xbox consoles would suggest that even without the kinect camera the XB1 might be more expensive to produce than the PS4.

For MS to drop price without removing the kinect will be very expensive and with the shareholder pressure to profit that seems unlikely. Furthermore a price drop from dropping the kinect might indicate a lack of vision from MS although I personally think it's the smart play.

Generally though I think people overestimate the stickiness which consumers have to one brand or the other in the US. I think as less and less of the purchases are made by the truly hardcore fans we will start to see the price play a larger role in the decision-making process and the PS4 pulling further ahead assuming stock allows it

Oh well, when I bought it I knew it wasn't selling a lot and I've enjoyed the games that is has. No big deal if it relegated to a PS4 streaming device but I'm sure that's not what Sony planned.

Honestly I still plan to buy a vita and while I do hope I find the RP functionality compelling, I'm sure the games it has up until now will be worth its cost. I do however very much doubt there will be many 1st party Sony titles on the system or 3rd party games going forward besides indies and the occasional Japanese title

Are you asking about an alternate reality where the XB1 has already dropped in price???

Assuming you mean present tense in reference to the future of what might happen if the XB1 drops its price, evidence we have thus far on both PS/Xbox consoles would suggest that even without the kinect camera the XB1 might be more expensive to produce than the PS4.

For MS to drop price without removing the kinect will be very expensive and with the shareholder pressure to profit that seems unlikely. Furthermore a price drop from dropping the kinect might indicate a lack of vision from MS although I personally think it's the smart play.

Generally though I think people overestimate the stickiness which consumers have to one brand or the other in the US. I think as less and less of the purchases are made by the truly hardcore fans we will start to see the price play a larger role in the decision-making process and the PS4 pulling further ahead assuming stock allows it
I corrected the typo.

I'm talking a price drop 2 years from now. That's also when i think a bulk of the 360 fan base will upgrade. I don't see the ps4 leading in NA by then or there on after. Rest of the world? Sure but not here.

That's just my hunch.

donny2112

Based on what I have, 2000 was lower with PSX on top. Don't have handheld sales from then, but not sure that GBC was popular enough to do > 3.8m the year before GBA released.

Steroyd

Could happen. We have no clue what the future brings. For all we know both sony and MS could go up in flames in the next two years, or could be doing extremely well. That is why I do not like people speaking about the future like they already know.

But we already know the Xbox One is going to tank epically in Japan. Nothing wrong with predicting trends and why, otherwise this thread wouldn't last so long.

Top Bottom