• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

jvm

Gamasutra.
Oh, of course. That wasn't a slight against you or your predictions. Anyhow, as soon as someone says 'you don't wanna know' about a title's sales that's when we want to know even more. I assume it's still in the 5 figures realm.
Cool. I had considered giving a positive integer percentage figure but quickly realized I would have nothing to say.

Culex

Banned
So is there even a reason for Sony to manufacture the Vita for the west now? Less than 100k for December = beyond dead, zombie territory.

US Q4 (Oct-Dec) sales to consumers:

Code:
System	2012Q4	2013Q4	Dif	change
360	2920	1456	-1464	-50%
PS3	1555	843	-712	-46%
WiU	885	754	-131	-15%
3DS	2035	2322	287	14%
PSV	480	190	-290	-60%

Both 360 and PS3 are going to die much faster than I thought.
I figured as much when PS4's price was revealed. Right in that sweet spot to make a generational transition easy peasy.

FDC1

So X1 was the fastest selling console in November. won December but is no longer the fastest selling console. Dat maths!

donny2112

So X1 was the fastest selling console in November. won December but is no longer the fastest selling console. Dat maths!

It's the fastest-selling console using the same metric (sales/day since release) that Microsoft used in November's reckoning.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Are retail Ouya sales really relevant? Can't it be bought directly, skipping retail altogether?

Same with Shield.

In the sane spirit, can some one summarize the stimations, guesses, hints, etc in one post? Please. And the page is rather new so it could be useful anyways XD

Hardware

So numbers thus far?

[3DS] >1000K
[XB1] 908K
[PS4] 858K - 863K
[X360] 643K
[WiiU] 480K - 482K
[PS3] 299K
[PSV] <95K

Edit: Reorg by highest, added sources

Software Credit to shinra

Software compilation:

Wii
Just Dance 2014 >800K

Wii U
Lego City Undercover - 242K
Pikmin 3 - 210K
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 93K
Rayman Legends - 88K
Sonic: Lost World - 82K
The Wonderful 101 - 49K
Game & Wario - 36K
Resident Evil: Revelations - 16K

3DS

Pokemon X - 1.63M
Pokemon Y - 1.54M
Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon >1M
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 910K
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - 472K
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS - 386K
Fire Emblem: Awakening - 370K
LEGO City 3DS - 365K
Mario Party: Island Tour - 252k
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 224K
Sonic Lost Worlds 3DS - 97k
Shin Megami Tensei IV - 96K
Project X Zone - 87K
Rune Factory 4 - 47k
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 36K
Etrian Odyssey 4 - 36K
Brain Age - 26K

PS3

The Last of Us - 1473K
Call of Duty: Ghosts <800K
God of War: Ascension - 783K
Kingdom Hearts 1.5HD - 438K
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - 329K
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - 208K
Beyond: Two Souls - 202K
Gran Turismo 6 <180K
Tales of Xillia - 156K
Resident Evil: Revelations - 53K
Rayman Legends - 30K
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F - 16K

PS4

Call of Duty: Ghosts >800K
Battlefield 4 - between 550K and 600K
Assassin's Creed 4 - between 500K and 550K
NBA 2K14 - between 400K and 450K
Killzone Shadowfall - between 400K and 450K
Madden NFL 25 - between 350K and 400K
Need for Speed - between 250K and 300K
FIFA 14 - between 200K and 250K
Knack - between 150K and 200K
Lego Marvel Superheroes - between

PSV

Killzone: Mercenaries - 102K
Soul Sacrifice - 72K
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - 67k
Tearaway -50K
Rayman Legends - 20k

Xbox 360
Minecraft - 1862K
Gears of War: Judgement - 764K
Resident Evil: Revelations - 55K
Rayman Legends - 42K

Xbox One
Call of Duty: Ghosts - between 800K and 900K
Battlefield 4 - between 550K and 650K
Dead Rising 3 - 526K
Forze Motorsport 5 - 457K
Ryse - 431K
Madden NFL 25 - between 350K and 400K
Assassin's Creed 4 - between 350K and 400K
NBA 2K14 - between 200K and 350K
FIFA 14 - between 150K and 200K
Need for Speed - between 100K and 150K
Lego Marvel Superheroes - between 100K and 150K
Just Dance 2014 - between 100K and 150K

Let me know if I've missed anything or anything is wrong and I'll correct.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So in the end Rayman Legends sold more on WiiU than X360/Ps3 combined and barely less than those +Vita.
I wonder how the game did on PC. Was uPlay mandatory?

allan-bh

This NPD thread was one of the best in recent months with many software numbers.

For hardware unfortunately no one wanted to give a more accurate figure for the 3DS.

Hardware

Software Credit to shinra
A world of thanks jcm and Swiftdeath. And Shinra for his awesome summary, keep the good work and analisis going man XD

Just Dance 4 800K december only for Wii is the most impressive and noteworthy number out of the bunch, so the LTD most have crossed a million by now?

Things like this keep reasuring me that with some proper support there was some juice left for the Wii while Nintendo prepared better for the succesor.

Seen Rayman Legends at 88K maybe the best decision for Ubisoft would have been to release the game in the first quarter of 2013 when the software draught was been felt hard. Althouhgt the 88 number seems about right considering it doesnt look like a high budget game. Yet, probably most of its sales are at bargain prices so the former is not the case at all.

Amazing numbers for the FPS in both PS4/X1, proving withouth a shadow of doubt the traditional gamer was waiting for a generation change, price of entry not mattering much at all.

Thought this would be somewhat interesting to look at; third-party platform ordering.

FPS
Call of Duty: Ghosts - XB1, PS4, NWU
Battlefield 4 - XB1, PS4

Family
Just Dance 2014 - XB1, NWU, PS4
Skylanders Swap Force - NWU, XB1, PS4
Lego Marvel in December* - XB1, PS4, NWU

Sports/Racing
Madden NFL 25 - PS4, XB1
NBA 2K14 - PS4, XB1
FIFA 14 - PS4, XB1
Need for Speed in November** - PS4, XB1

Action-Adventure
Assassin's Creed IV - PS4, XB1, NWU

*Didn't chart in November, NWU was only next-gen SKU in October.
**Didn't chart in December or for 2013

They break somewhat along genre lines.
Although it's probably also worth noting that it could be impacted by respective first-party slate as well, i.e.

Microsoft

Forza - Racing
Dead Rising - Action-Adventure
Ryse - Action-Adventure

Sony

Killzone: Shadow Fall - FPS
Knack - Family

But that aside, the PS4 seems to have a distinct advantage in the annualized sports franchises, while the XB1 seems to have a clear advantage with family titles, even beating the Wii U on a smaller installed base with JD2014 (possibly Lego as well).

Thought this would be somewhat interesting to look at; third-party platform ordering.

FPS
Call of Duty: Ghosts - XB1, PS4, NWU
Battlefield 4 - XB1, PS4

Family
Just Dance 2014 - XB1, NWU, PS4
Skylanders Swap Force - NWU, XB1, PS4
Lego Marvel in December* - XB1, PS4, NWU

Sports/Racing
Madden NFL 25 - PS4, XB1
NBA 2K14 - PS4, XB1
FIFA 14 - PS4, XB1
Need for Speed in November** - PS4, XB1

Action-Adventure
Assassin's Creed IV - PS4, XB1, NWU

*Didn't chart in November, NWU was only next-gen SKU in October.
**Didn't chart in December or for 2013

They break somewhat along genre lines.
Although it's probably also worth noting that it could be impacted by respective first-party slate as well, i.e.

Microsoft

Forza - Racing
Dead Rising - Action-Adventure
Ryse - Action-Adventure

Sony

Killzone: Shadow Fall - FPS
Knack - Family

But that aside, the PS4 seems to have a distinct advantage in the annualized sports franchises, while the XB1 seems to have a clear advantage with family titles, even beating the Wii U on a smaller installed base with JD2014 (possibly Lego as well).

Seems to make sense. Killzone steals shooter crowd, so BF4 and CoD do better on Xbone. Knack steals family crowd, so Lego and skylanders do better on XB1. XB1 has built in camera for just dance. Forza steals racing crowd, need for speed does better on PS4. Ryse and dr3 steal action crowd, ACIV does better on PS4. No 1st party titles to steal sports crowd, so they do better on higher selling platform. XB1 has more titles available and sells fewer units, so buyers are more "core" and have more options so it wins in attach rate.

DaBoss

Seems to make sense. Killzone steals shooter crowd, so BF4 and CoD do better on Xbone. Knack steals family crowd, so Lego and skylanders do better on XB1. XB1 has built in camera for just dance. Forza steals racing crowd, need for speed does better on PS4. Ryse and dr3 steal action crowd, ACIV does better on PS4. No 1st party titles to steal sports crowd, so they do better on higher selling platform. XB1 has more titles available and sells fewer units, so buyers are more "core" and have more options so it wins in attach rate.
I really don't think it is as simplistic as you make it seem to be.

liger05

Sub 200K for vita in november and december combined? I said god damn.

Yep demise of the Wii U in a way makes the pathetic sales of the Vita go kinda unnoticed. Sub 200k in holidays is nothing short of abysmal and the only solution to this problem I see Sony coming up with to this problem is 'remote play'.

Thats not the answer!!!

Top Bottom