• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

Fady K

Really? I completely missed that!

The point still stands though. It's not like they were completely destroyed over Christmas and they could react pretty quickly if they needed to. What they don't want to do is get into a race to the bottom where they devalue the console so badly, piss all their profits away that all it would take is the right Xbone exclusive and they'd never recover.

Yeah you probably missed it cause the news is very recent. I personally felt they were destroyed in the month of November in NA, but let's see.

Your point about pissing all their profits away is very relevant too and I fully agree with it. In hindsight, I didn't think of this point well enough.

why worry losing 600-ish K from your US lead if the rest of the world you tosses in 2-4 (example number only, not saying that's factual) times that?

I'm guessing cause the NA market is very relevant. In their defense though the sales difference in monthly hardware sales in December is a lot smaller than that of November right? I recall in November Xbox One sold a lot more than the PS4 that month.

SmokyDave

Thanks! I was hoping you'd chime in sooner haha =).

3DS = 810K
PSV + TV = 150K (still higher than I expected... cool?)

Vita is up YoY in December. Ring the bells for SmokeyDave!!!!
Dude, I thought that was my alarm clock. Thanks for letting me know about the Christmas miracle.

I wonder how far off the Jan-Nov total it was.

failure brigade 2014 final score

wii u 2014: 1,571,000 (+29%)
wii u 2013: 1,217,000 (+35%)
wii u 2012: 900,000 (launch was in november)
total: 3,688,000

vita (+ptv) 2014: ~375,000 (-20%)
vita 2013: 467,000 (-65%)
vita 2012: 1,330,000 (launch was in february)
total: 2,172,000
Putting them along latest figures from Japan

Vita = 2,172,000 (US) + 3,503,000 (Japan) = 5,675,000
Wii U = 3,688,000 (US) + 2,179,000 (Japan) = 5,867,000

This leaves Asia/Europe. Hmmm....

Fady K

No only uk everywhere else Xbox on is struggling badly.

Oh really? I had no idea.

I don't believe so... Someone can correct me, but everything I had heard is that XB1 is doing horrendously in Europe besides the UK which generally matches the US in tastes. Outside of the UK, Europe has always favored PlayStation compared to Xbox and they are really favoring PlayStation this time, it seems.

I'm not sure myself, what I do know is in the UK the PS4 software sales are very, very healthy and stronger than the XB1's.

Dude, I thought that was my alarm clock. Thanks for letting me know about the Christmas miracle.

Wait, Vita sold 150k in December???

allan-bh

Lol, I think the Vita actually sold more in the US than Japan this December... I didn't think that was possible...

US Vita/TV = 150K
JP Media Create = Dec 1 - Dec 28th = 1,168,570 - 1042,924 = 125K

Sure I'm leaving out the 29-31st, but it's hard to tell how much of week 1's 58K was before 1/1 (that's I think when most of the folks buy systems, like on New Year's day itself in JP).

NPD december is from nov 30 to jan 03

Media Create dec 01 to jan 04 has Vita with 183.651

Mory Dunz

Yeah, it really could go either way...which is pathetic...for both of them lol.

It'd be nice if Sony gave numbers though.

Lol, I think the Vita actually sold more in the US than Japan this December... I didn't think that was possible...

US Vita/TV = 150K
JP Media Create = Dec 1 - Dec 28th = 1,168,570 - 1042,924 = 125K

Sure I'm leaving out the 29-31st, but it's hard to tell how much of week 1's 58K was before 1/1 (that's I think when most of the folks buy systems, like on New Year's day itself in JP).
In Japan, people buy Vitas in January with their Xmas money. December is mostly Nintendo.

Superman00

Liverpool01
They do now, I'm just guessing if this trend continues the roles will reverse if this trend starts happening worldwide. I haven't been following worldwide sales much, but isn't the Xbox One closing in fast in many regions excluding Japan?

So do you think selling healthy numbers is the priority over leading the competition? That's a good point as well as I wonder if Xbox One is selling at a loss.

Nope, XBOX1 isn't closing any gap. In order to close the gap WW, XBOX1 would have to sell several times that of the PS4 each month in the US. Even if you take US and Japan numbers away from the PS4, high chance that the PS4 still outsold XBOX1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Apologies if I missed the discussion (UK time doesn't work for these threads), but has it been confirmed that xbox was top for December? Their PR says top for November and December so would be good to know if that decodes as

Top selling for november, and too selling for December
Or
Top selling for (november + December)

I thought I saw that Vita does fairly well in Europe compared to Wii U. Might be mistaken though.

Yeah you probably missed it cause the news is very recent. I personally felt they were destroyed in the month of November in NA, but let's see.

I think it's fair to say they themselves were shocked by November. However, it's also true that they barely did anything in Nov until BF itself.

I look at December as how a rational US market reacts to 349 with 2 games vs 399 with 1 game.

IMO, a 6:5 ratio, all things considered, is pretty decent for Sony.

Apologies if I missed the discussion (UK time doesn't work for these threads), but has it been confirmed that xbox was top for December? Their PR says top for November and December so would be good to know if that decodes as

Or

both.

Game Guru

I'm guessing cause the NA market is very relevant. In their defense though the sales difference in monthly hardware sales in December is a lot smaller than that of November right? I recall in November Xbox One sold a lot more than the PS4 that month.

To be fair, Sony should be concerned since the NA market is very relevant, but Sony has enough of a lead with PS4 to let things play out for a while before they would need to react assuming XB1 continues to outsell the PS4 in NA.

Basically, the North American market is extremely important... for MS who depends on that market to even be able to compete. For Sony, it is not as important even though it is still an important market for Sony and for console gaming in general.

Or
Xbone won NPD for both months individually, but not enough to make up for elsewhere.

Mory Dunz

I thought I saw that Vita does fairly well in Europe compared to Wii U. Might be mistaken though.

I don't think so. We never seem to get many numbers, but Vita software sales pales in comparison to the Wii U's, and the Wii U's pales in comparison to common decency.
EDIT: That may just be those UK charts though.
....but Wii U games barely chart in the UK.

If Vita has a saving grace, it's liekly Rest of the World.

It does well in Asia and is decent enough (Tales) in Europe since SCEE actually bothers marketing it there.

I don't think so. We never seem to get many numbers, but Vita software sales pales in comparison to the Wii U's, and the Wii U's pales in comparison to common decency.

TBH, using software sales of Vita to judge hardware is not a good way as Vita software pales in comparison to Wii U first party offering.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
He said both in his hint (said something like both versions)

Got it.

You know, when you think about it, Nintendo obtained to sell well over 100,000 copies at retail (between 3DS and Wii U) of collections of NES romhacks / challenges XD

nampad

Back in the days when Nintendo released marketshare information, the Vita always outsold the Wii U in Europe. The situation was practically inverse from NA, where the Wii U outsells the Vita. That was before the heavy hitters (MK and Smash) of this year though.

I would guess the Vita is still leading though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Amiibos were up like 60% from Nov to dec
In fact I think it did better than Skylanders and Disney in December BUT that's only really by pack, I.e all amiibo are like one single pack but some of the Disney ones for example have like Marvel or Disney originals and combining those it's way more.

I guess nintendo will eventually get different packs out there like the new super mario bros line, it's a good strategy because it seems to add duplicate sales and not cannibalize

Yeah, but Vita tends to have a very high digital sales percentage compared to other systems. Probably because it has so little retail presence.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Amiibos were up like 60% from Nov to dec
In fact I think it did better than Skylanders and Disney in December BUT that's only really by pack
, I.e all amiibo are like one single pack but some of the Disney ones for example have like Marvel or Disney originals and combining those it's way more.

I guess nintendo will eventually get different packs out there like the new super mario bros line, it's a good strategy because it seems to add duplicate sales and not cannibalize

Woot :)

Thanks for the data!

Fady K

Nope, XBOX1 isn't closing any gap. In order to close the gap WW, XBOX1 would have to sell several times that of the PS4 each month in the US. Even if you take US and Japan numbers away from the PS4, high chance that the PS4 still outsold XBOX1.

Yes I agree with that. But Sony will need to react in some fashion to not let the Xbox One race too far ahead in NA, a very important market.

I think it's fair to say they themselves were shocked by November. However, it's also true that they barely did anything in December until BF itself.

I look at December as how a rational US market reacts to 349 with 2 games vs 399 with 1 game.

IMO, a 6:5 ratio, all things considered, is pretty decent for Sony.

Yeah, that wouldn't be too bad. But again, I believe if they want to not let Xbox One race ahead too much in NA they'll need to react quicker. With the Xbox One price cut in full effect now at $350 and Sony with no moves yet (other than free The Last of Us Remastered in select retailers), they'll need to move.

To be fair, Sony should be concerned since the NA market is very relevant, but Sony has enough of a lead with PS4 to let things play out for a while before they would need to react assuming XB1 continues to outsell the PS4 in NA.

Basically, the North American market is extremely important... for MS who depends on that market to even be able to compete. For Sony, it is not as important even though it is still an important market for Sony and for console gaming in general.

That is true. It is a risk though, waiting for too long. But it is also a risk to take action now and let their profits slide a bit. Tricky situation.

Mory Dunz

Yeah, but Vita tends to have a very high digital sales percentage compared to other systems. Probably because it has so little retail presence.

I just googled for a random 2014 chart cause I didn't want to go thread hunting.

YbeePvr.png

hmm...they're actually closer than I thought tbh in retail. Well, sort of.

Not sure digital makes up for all of it for Vita...and what that means for HW extrapolation, but it just seemed to me that since the UK is such a bad territory for Wii U and things barely chart, I assumed the discrepancy would be larger in other areas. But I don't about how Vita does in those territories

Who knows? Guess it doesn't really matter. Both are...just bad.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sony won't need to react quickly. Sales will drop off a cliff now we're in January, so even if xbox takes the next few months, it'll be by a few thousand here and there. And I think Sony has the software this half to counter a $50 orice difference.

MS probably dropped the price back because nobody was buying the Xbox. Which makes sense if you put the price up and stop bundling.

Fady K

Looking forward to what's going to happen if Sony finally takes dat foot off the break pedal... Not going to happen before June, though.

I am expecting a price cut but even later than that, sometime for the holidays I think.

They are reacting. They are releasing games soon.

Their exclusive lineup this year is incredible IMO.

Sony won't need to react quickly. Sales will drop off a cliff now we're in January, so even if xbox takes the next few months, it'll be by a few thousand here and there. And I think Sony has the software this half to counter a $50 orice difference.

MS probably dropped the price back because nobody was buying the Xbox. Which makes sense if you put the price up and stop bundling.

Yeah, if the difference is minor between hardware every month, I don't think Sony will need to do much. They'll have to be better equipped for the next holiday season though. Because by the time Sony cuts the price by $50 or so, Xbox can easily drop to $300 "temporarily" by then.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Yes I agree with that. But Sony will need to react in some fashion to not let the Xbox One race too far ahead in NA, a very important market.

Yeah, that wouldn't be too bad. But again, I believe if they want to not let Xbox One race ahead too much in NA they'll need to react quicker. With the Xbox One price cut in full effect now at $350 and Sony with no moves yet (other than free The Last of Us Remastered in select retailers), they'll need to move.

That is true. It is a risk though, waiting for too long. But it is also a risk to take action now and let their profits slide a bit. Tricky situation.

Sony has internal targets. They are not gonna react because the XBOX1 outsold the PS4. They are most likely gonna act when sales starts slowing down and no longer meets their internal targets.

PS4 LTD in the US is about 6.7M. While their LTD is 18.5M. So the US only accounts for about 36%.
While the XBOX1 is at about 6.2M in the US. Since we don't know the XBOX1 WW numbers, let say they sold about 10.5M. That would put the US ratio at 59%.

The US is very very important for MS, but to Sony, it's roughly only 1/3 of the market. It's important, but not something they have to react to MS just cause they got outsold the last 2 months.

Xone9

Banned
great to see XB1 doing well....I am sure sony fanboys can clap their hands on this one, as it brings competition to the market and cheaper prices.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Back in the days when Nintendo released marketshare information, the Vita always outsold the Wii U in Europe. The situation was practically inverse from NA, where the Wii U outsells the Vita. That was before the heavy hitters (MK and Smash) of this year though.

I would guess the Vita is still leading though.
Nah, 2014 has been horrible for the Vita here while WiiU ganed7wome momentum after MK8. we don't have numbers but seeing how often the Slim Vita is on sale I doubt they are selling as much as in the years prior while WiiU numbers increased.

hongcha

150K for Vita is a great last hurrah, but it's all downhill from here, sadly. At least Vita still has Japan and Asia, where it gets a decent amount of love (and, more importantly, games!).

Game Guru

Indeed... If Sony does need to react more than they already have, it will probably be in March since knowing how well the XB1 has sold in January and especially February would give a clearer sign on if Sony should drop price in March or just wait until either E3 or November to do it. I am at least sure Sony will drop the price by November if only to prevent MS from doing what they did with the Xbox One this year with the extended Black Friday sale that will so conveniently become basically permanent soon. Sony won't let that happen again and sales will have slowed down enough to justify a price drop.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
150K for Vita is a great last hurrah, but it's all downhill from here, sadly. At least Vita still has Japan and Asia, where it gets a decent amount of love (and, more importantly, games!).

Well its support in Japan is starting to die out, and the xmas sales of the Vita were fairly bad, but let's not go there since that's been overdone anyhow.

So if I'm not mistaken, of the first party Nintendo titles on Wii U.... Sales order in the US was
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros for Wii U
DKC: Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors
Captain Toad
Bayonetta 2
NES Remix (Wii U)?
Wii Fit U (retail)... (although we don't have updated #s here, did it finally crawl past 100K? Or did it somehow sell worse than Sonic Boom Wii U...)

Highest debut tho were:
Smash
Mario Kart 8
Captain Toad (this is pretty funny, but awesome too)
Hyrule Warriors
DKC: TF
Bayonetta 2 / NES Remix Pack
Wii Fit U retail

Also do we have any updated #s for Wii U titles from last year? Like has 3D World finally passed 1M here?

nampad

Nah, 2014 has been horrible for the Vita here while WiiU ganed7wome momentum after MK8. we don't have numbers but seeing how often the Slim Vita is on sale I doubt they are selling as much as in the years prior while WiiU numbers increased.

And you know this from what numbers? You could also argue that it sells more units because it is on sale.

Wii U might have some momentum for a year but the Vita outsold it for many periods before and we do have numbers for that, just look up the old Nintendo investor relations material. I don't think this 1 year was enough to pull in front of the Vita in Europe given the headstart and the better sales of the Vita for quite some time.

Unsurprising. The only reason PS4 sold more first, and the reason the Xbone is selling more now is price. Considering how the game libraries for both have gotten increasingly similar over the years there's not much else to bank one(although price was always the main reason).

I'm happy that the console industry is doing well considering the doom and gloom we've heard before. Not saying it'll be around forever, but it's definitely a lot healthier than previously thought. Hell, even the Wii U is doing a lot better than we previously thought. So that's good news no matter how you slice it if you give any sort of a fuck about console gaming. Seeing as I'm one of those people with all options covered(PC, Console, Mobile, etc.) I'm hoping that this alternative doesn't die too soon.

2015 is going to be an interesting year, that's for sure.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Other 2014 new games, no bundle, with special edition.

Yoshi > 400k
Friends ~ 400k
Kirby: > 360k
BD > 350k
FL: 142k
Golf: 102k
PVP: 73k
Sonic 3DS: 73k

DKC: > 440k
Musou ~ 370k
B2 < 135k
Sonic WiiU: 68k

I've already commented Bayonetta 2 numbers, so about the others

3DS

Yoshi...Yoshi did much better than I expected. Big legs, after all.

Tomodachi Life is actually a bit lower than what I imagined, especially seeing European numbers. Adding first month's digital numbers, it's at about 437,000 units. It should be over 450,000 overall, when digital numbers up to now are included. Still, good result, and it should be a bi-million seller in the West next year.

Good job for Kirby, I think it could continue selling next year as well (a little amount every month, of course).

Great Bravely Default! IIRC, first month's digital numbers were between 35,000 and 40,000 units, so it should be at 400,000 overall.

Fantasy Life did improve from its first month, and I wonder what its digital sales look like. A bit meh.

Mario Golf ;_; Layton v.s. AA ;__; Sonic seems too high ;_____;

Wii U

After all, Donkey Kong is still selling. Unfortunately, it's a major, insane letdown compared to the first Returns on Wii. Still, I suppose it'll pass 500,000 in US soon enough, I hope it continues selling ;__;

Zelda Musou should be at 390,000 when digital sales for the first month are included. It did very well, after all. I wonder if a million WW is still a possibility, at this point.

Sonic: same as 3DS ;___;

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

I think someone posted the total = 320K for the year, so that # was close to 47% of the Vita's sales in 2014.

Hubble

It's pretty clear why MS have a new promotion on. January sales so far must of been awful.

And why is that? January is pretty slow in general. There is no indication the PS4 has been doing better for January. We don't know yet. Evidence points otherwise though. U.S is still up for grabs.

Good for Nintendo, compared to previous sales at least...

Their situation is actually somewhat of a downer though. It's hard to imagine Nintendo ever being back on top as the go to gaming console. They could have a machine that's on par with the others, they could have all the third party and I just still can't imagine people saying "I'm going to get Call of Duty on the Wii 2"

Jb

cod aw dec = 2.84 million including bundles

this is up from ghosts's 2.79 million december 2013

cod aw rebounded from november's -24% decline

Well deserved. I hope AW does well enough for Acti to realize it is possible for them to change things up with CoD and it paying off in the long run.

Top Bottom