• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
i've had a change of heart towards destiny

roughly 1 million for its first december is great for a new ip like this...way above my personal expectations for the title

the "destiny won't have legs because it's a bad game" criticism is overblown, in my opinion

Destiny sold 1 million in December by itself?

Jesus. Activision must be quite pleased - stock took quite a bad turn once the game launched, but today up by 9%! They might even beat their Q4 guidance judging by that performance + COD!

And if I remember correctly, the Destiny DLC pack was the best-selling add-on on the Playstation Network for 2014. They rolling in dough.

Driveclub is actually selling above expectations according to Evo, at least globally. Leader boards have 700k or so people on them, so it can't have done too badly.

I know people love the game, but after that long in dev, that much spent, 600k or so purchases (friends borrowing, used etc) so far just is not good enough, no matter what they say publicly. Math doesn't work.

Maybe their season pass attach is great or something. More power to em. If they can fix this and end in the black that will be one hell of a come from behind story.

allan-bh

I'm thinking January NPD will be more "console gaming is dying" posts than anything. I'm expecting everything to sell below 200K.

I don't know, january usually is not so weak, then in february sales go up due to tax return and in march sales slow down but it not feels much that way because is a 5 week period.

April is usually when starts the slow sales season with disappointing sales.

Driveclub is actually selling above expectations according to Evo, at least globally. Leader boards have 700k or so people on them, so it can't have done too badly. Regarding Bayonetta, I think it's just somewhat of a niche title in it's overall presentation and quirky style, so the degree of praise it gets still isn't enough to crack bigger numbers in sales. But it's always hard to tell with these sorts of things.

With Driveclub, I think Europe and bundles (I can see a GOTY version with all the patches/DLC being thrown in this year's Holiday bundles) are going to end up getting it to a decent sales point for now, but unfortunately it's probably dead as an IP. But the real question is do they have Evolution go back to Motorstorm, or are they actually willing to give them another shot at a new IP?

RBK

Banned
How do you get to the best of 2015 or Janaury 2015 charts.

MS killed all momentum with that price rise, but it's slowly climbing back up with $349 tag.

allan-bh

Driveclub is actually selling above expectations according to Evo, at least globally. Leader boards have 700k or so people on them, so it can't have done too badly. Regarding Bayonetta, I think it's just somewhat of a niche title in it's overall presentation and quirky style, so the degree of praise it gets still isn't enough to crack bigger numbers in sales. But it's always hard to tell with these sorts of things.

I remebered the Insidederp news saying that Driveclub sold 1 million on first week.

What a crazy lie...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The Order will be out in february, so who knows.

The order will "bomb", if the definition of success for a production like The Order is to launch at >300k. Either way, it definitely won't sway a significant portion of potential buyers regardless of how good it'll review (and imo it won't average any higher than 7.5/10).

Javin98

Banned
February has Evolve with marketing focused on Xbox One. I'm feeling that this game will sell very well.
I respectfully disagree. I don't think many people outside of gaming forums even know Evolve at all. I have a feeling its sales would only be average

X1 was a typo, thanks for letting me notice, I meant to write 1.5.
Right? Or just gimme the correct numbers :p
I thought the sales of X1 was ~1.3 million? Someone correct me if wrong

allan-bh

The order will "bomb", if the definition of success for a production like The Order is to launch at >300k. Either way, it definitely won't sway a significant portion of potential buyers regardless of how good it'll review (and imo it won't average any higher than 7.5/10).

The Order is a shooter, this genre has a natural mass appeal.

I have doubts about quality too (gameplay videos looks like generic) and lack of multiplayer could hurt sales, but Sony is pushing this game at a long time.

I know people love the game, but after that long in dev, that much spent, 600k or so purchases (friends borrowing, used etc) so far just is not good enough, no matter what they say publicly. Math doesn't work.

Maybe their season pass attach is great or something. More power to em. If they can fix this and end in the black that will be one hell of a come from behind story.

yeah.

i'm not convinced that driveclub is selling as well as some people here like to imply.

700k unique psn users could mean as little as 450k total purchases of new physical retail + digital. or even lower, possibly.

Javin98

Banned
At this point, I'm almost sure The Order 1886 will sell better and get better reviews than most seem to believe

RedAssedApe

Banned
people might just buy the order because that's whats available. what other games are launching around that time?

Evolve
Dragonball
RE Revelations 2
Dynasty Warriors?

Not much competition there. If Infamous can hit 1 million copies the first week (no MP) then I don't see why the Order can't.

Dash Kappei

The Order is a shooter, this genre has a natural mass appeal.

I have doubts about quality too (gameplay videos looks like generic) and lack of multiplayer could hurt sales, but Sony is pushing this game at a long time.

The Order has nothing but its genre that we can call mass-appealing.
There's plenty of TPS which sell abysmally, Sony will save it but won't make it a big success and even less chance of turning it into a mass-appealing product.

Chobel

Didn't know that. But I still think that might surprise.

Why? The alpha was met with negative impressions and it doesn't look like the beta will change that, also the game is looking to have very thin not much content plus some fucked up expensive DLC plans.

RedAssedApe

Banned
should have just made l4d3. people would have eaten that up

Infamous is a stabilized franchise, so there is a difference.

just meant that its going to be released in a similar situation. lots of people who bought infamous never played the previous games. people are going to be starving for any new game in general in Feb. Also hasn't ps4 install base like tripled since?

Dash Kappei

people might just buy the order because that's whats available. what other games are launching around that time?

Evolve
Dragonball
RE Revelations 2
Dynasty Warriors?

Not much competition there. If Infamous can hit 1 million copies the first week (no MP) then I don't see why the Order can't.

Infamous was the third game in a known IP with good pedigree and the first must-have exclusive "look what we can do with a PS4" game to come to the newest PS family member, with a positive aura from media and enthusiasts alike... The Order has been met with skepticism if not straight out criticism at every public event, only lauded for its graphics but bad mouthed for most everything else. They're in a pretty different situation, The Order would need to review exceptionally well and have strong word of mouth. It won't even come close to 1 million at launch, in my opinion.

Daemul

I'm not even sure what to think about Evolve and The Order. My gut feeling is that they'll both bomb, but I don't know.

allan-bh

Why? The alpha was met with negative impressions and it doesn't look like the beta will change that, also the game is looking to have very thin content plus some fucked up expensive DLC plans.

I don't t know, I always had a feeling that the style of this game would attract a lot mp shooters fans.

But if the beta is bad as you and the other guy are saying, I must be wrong.

Dash Kappei

何?

I don't really speak kanji but that means "what?" (I think) so I guess NOPE, not 1.5M either?
Someone wrote 1.7M, I'll go with that one I guess, although that'd be quite a hefty difference to PS4, ouch. WiiU is 580k then, not bad at all. Had to catch up since I haven't had time to read through the thread so I had to make my own calculus... I'm surprised I was even close-ish to the real numbers, lol

I don't really speak kanji but that means "what?" (I think) so I guess NOPE, not 1.5M either?
Someone wrote 1.7M, I'll go with that one I guess, although that'd be quite a hefty difference to PS4, ouch. WiiU is 580k then, not bad at all. Had to catch up since I haven't had time to read through the thread so I had to make my own calculus... I'm surprised I was even close-ish to the real numbers, lol

wii u isn't exactly 580k

and dude....you're getting further and further away from that xbox one number, haha

A_Gorilla

Banned

I believe its 1.3. You're going too high.

Rand6

It's more like 1.35.

Infamous was the third game in a known IP with good pedigree and the first must-have exclusive "look what we can do with a PS4" game to come to the newest PS family member, with a positive aura from media and enthusiasts alike... The Order has been met with skepticism if not straight out criticism at every public event, only lauded for its graphics but bad mouthed for most everything else. They're in a pretty different situation, The Order would need to review exceptionally well and have strong word of mouth. It won't even come close to 1 million at launch, in my opinion.

The impression from the PSX event were mostly postive from people that played it .
I see it being review okay and some people saying the same crap about it don't matter .
With the right marketing the order should be able to do rather well and Sony knows how to market there TPS games.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I kind of wonder whether a single third party title on Wii U has an LTD over Bayonetta 1/2... I assume something does, as several titles were over 100K at various points (Just Dance & CoD: Black Ops 2 in 2012 for example).... maybe top third party title is at like 200K? Or maybe I'm being too optimistic haha.

And I guess Mario Kart 8 has likely become the best selling Wii U title, unless NSMBU sold 100K since the last update we got for the title (which I suppose is possible thanks to bundles before the 3D World one released).

hatchx

Banned
I kind of wonder whether a single third party title on Wii U has an LTD over Bayonetta 1/2... I assume something does, as several titles were over 100K at various points (Just Dance & CoD: Black Ops 2 in 2012 for example).... maybe top third party title is at like 200K? Or maybe I'm being too optimistic haha.

And I guess Mario Kart 8 has likely become the best selling Wii U title, unless NSMBU sold 100K since the last update we got for the title (which I suppose is possible thanks to bundles before the 3D World one released).

I think ZombiU and Rayman Legends have Bayonetta 2 beat in sales, but that may change in a couple of months.

Selling over 550k sounds like a relative win for WiiU, and 250k for Toad was very surprising.

Top Bottom