• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

AniHawk

I kind of wonder whether a single third party title on Wii U has an LTD over Bayonetta 1/2... I assume something does, as several titles were over 100K at various points (Just Dance & CoD: Black Ops 2 in 2012 for example).... maybe top third party title is at like 200K? Or maybe I'm being too optimistic haha.

lego city undercover, zombi u, sonic lost world, scribblenauts unlimited, and sega all-stars racers 2 all did better from what i can tell. lego city is over 200k.

The impression from the PSX event were mostly postive from people that played it .
I see it being review okay and some people saying the same crap about it don't matter .
With the right marketing the order should be able to do rather well and Sony knows how to market there TPS games.

Wasn't is also the most popular game at PSX?

I'n not exactly sure when the Order got such a following....even on GAF tbh. I can see it going either way and as much as I want to give RAD the benefit of doubt, I'm not going to.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
lego city undercover, zombi u, sonic lost world, scribblenauts unlimited, and sega all-stars racers 2 all did better from what i can tell. lego city is over 200k.

Forgot that Lego City Undercover did 242K as of the end of 2013, although I guess I was accidentally counting that as 1st party since it seemed to be a partnership of sorts. Whoops. Apart from that though? Scribblenauts at launch did that well? I don't remember it breaking 100K in the first couple months, but I could be wrong. I remember Rayman, Sonic, and MH3U getting around or above 100K at some point though, same with ZombiU (which I wouldn't be surprised has hit 200K by selling at the low prices it has).

Conduit

Banned
I know people love the game, but after that long in dev, that much spent, 600k or so purchases (friends borrowing, used etc) so far just is not good enough, no matter what they say publicly. Math doesn't work.

Maybe their season pass attach is great or something. More power to em. If they can fix this and end in the black that will be one hell of a come from behind story.

I'm pretty sure DC sold over a million ( digitaly and retail and with PS4 ). Also, not everybody has a PS+ or online ( 900k or so on the leaderboard is not 100% good indicator ).

I'm pretty sure DC sold over a million ( digitaly and retail and with PS4 ). Also, not everybody has a PS+ or online ( 900k or so on the leaderboard is not 100% good indicator ).

If we go crazy and assume that the US has seen the same number of digital purchases as they have packaged, your hypothesis would make the US about 15% or so of WW sales. Not even FIFA skews EUR that much. It's just highly unlikely. But we just can't know.

Aren't 95% or something of PS4s online? Seem to recall a number like that, perhaps I'm wrong. In any case, extrapolating for offline users likely don't offset the added leader board entries for people who borrowed the game from friends.

In any case, being an NPD thread, all we do know from the data in the thread is that DC has not performed well at all in the US packaged market.

Road

npd-home-1999-20148isxd.png

npd-hand-1999-2014bbsyd.png

ethomaz

Banned
Amazon showed Xbone ahead PS4 in November and December.

It is flawless for the year.

And now it is showing PS4 ahead Xbone even after official price cut.

PS4 will take January.

The next Xbone chance will be in November 2015 again... that is my guesses.

Welfare

PS4 will take January.

PS4 was ahead because of the Xbox One going back to $399. It's only been one full day since the price cut happened again. Wait until February before saying that again.

Deku Tree

PS4 was ahead because of the Xbox One going back to $399. It's only been one full day since the price cut happened again. Wait until February before saying that again.

Why did MS raise the price back to $399 only to lower it again right away back to $349?

Chris1

Sony will take Jan, they've 2 weeks with the xbox at $400 and with the price cuts the last 2 months being 'limited' I can't imagine many people picking it up in Jan.

I wouldn't go as far as saying Xbox won't win NPD again until november, especially after the price cut but I doubt they will win Jan.

dolemite

Doesn't matter which one will win in the dead months of the winter/spring, the difference will be in the 10's of k's, not 100's of k's like in Nov. or Dec.

Javin98

Banned

PS4 will take January.

Unless sales of the X1 sky rocket in the coming days, I think most people expect the PS4 to take January. February will be more interesting but I think the PS4 will win again provided Sony does enough marketing for The Order 1886

ethomaz

Banned
Doesn't matter which one will win in the dead months of the winter/spring, the difference will be in the 10's of k's, not 100's of k's like in Nov. or Dec.
Dead months diff combined > Nov/Dec diff

Unless sales of the X1 sky rocket in the coming days, I think most people expect the PS4 to take January. February will be more interesting but I think the PS4 will win again provided Sony does enough marketing for The Order 1886
I guess most people that want to buy the Xbone at $350 already did it... that is why the sale won't bump in January.

dolemite

Last year's PS4 numbers up to April were boosted by the shortages; the thirst was real. Then there were boosts from Watch Dogs and Destiny to keep the relatively quiet summer months red hot for the console. The only title I can see that can have a similar boosting power is Arkham Knight.

Moneal

Dead months diff combined > Nov/Dec diff.

And I think that will be even worse this year. people have seen what MS will do for the holidays. They slashed prices, and I bet they will be down to $299 + 2 games and a gift card. Why buy one at 350 when you can get another $50 off and probably $50 in gift cards in November.

Such poor logic since PS4's lead grew due to the accumulation of differences in those "dead months".

PS4 has a notably stronger Q1 as well.

If we go crazy and assume that the US has seen the same number of digital purchases as they have packaged, your hypothesis would make the US about 15% or so of WW sales. Not even FIFA skews EUR that much. It's just highly unlikely. But we just can't know.

Aren't 95% or something of PS4s online? Seem to recall a number like that, perhaps I'm wrong. In any case, extrapolating for offline users likely don't offset the added leader board entries for people who borrowed the game from friends.

In any case, being an NPD thread, all we do know from the data in the thread is that DC has not performed well at all in the US packaged market.

Sony only has 10.9 million PS plus subscriptions and that inculdes vita and ps3.
PS4 has sold 18.5 million so that is about 60% and that is if all 10.9 million have a ps4.

yeah, I don't know. I will not be surprised if 2014 was the peak year for Wii U.
Not until the price drops come out at a minimum. We had several holiday sales but the Wii U is back to 299.96 retail price.

I also don't believe they won't have some potential big surprises at this E3

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think there's a tendency among quite a few posters to:

1.) View it as impossible that lots of people like games that they don't like, or even games that have lower-ish (70's range) metacritic scores (assuming that the game isn't in a niche they like).

2.) View things they don't like that are really popular as a transient bubble on the verge of bursting, and see anything that even remotely points to that as confirmation of their view even if the evidence as a whole points otherwise.

Like the reason we have the same games at the top of the NPD year end charts or even the top of the mobile grossing charts year in and year out is that tons and tons of people love these games, even if they're disliked or even despised on the forum.

The world isn't just full of uninformed sheeple who can't figure out what they like and just buy the shiniest thing in the room, no matter how much people would like to explain away differences in the market versus their preferences that way. Otherwise every publisher would just use a gigantic marketing budget and there'd never be a single bomb in the industry.

Metacritic has certainly lost relevance this gen vs. last gen considering the increased proliferation of betas, Youtube players, and social media, too.

I don't have a problem with people constantly posting the same annoying shit that no one thinks is really all that well-reasoned except a small starchamber of insatiable whiner manchildren (I am still laughing thinking about one poster's tear-filled proclamation that Destiny was the most disappointing game in history without question and another similarly tear-filled, breathlessly voiced retelling of his return experience at Gamestop), but my issue has always been the inability to understand why others want or like something. It's like this huge blind spot. How many threads are ruined by "WAH ANOTHER TPS? WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE TPS I DONT GET IT" "WAH MORE TACKED ON MULTIPLAYER I DONT GET IT" "WAH MICROTRANSACTIONS WHO IS BUYING THIS!!!!"

I absolutely loathe Amiibo. I think it's a cynical cash grab that represents the absolute worst of Nintendo's inward turn this generation. But I get why people like it. I don't go into every Toy of the Year thread and go "BUT AMIIBO IS SHIT WHY DOES TOYSPOT LIKE IT"

I'm going to just add in addition to what Niro and other me have said, a pet peeve is the use of the word marketing to mean nothing more than advertising/promotion.

Destiny has been successful because of marketing is actually a reasonable statement, if one considers that marketing encompasses a whole lot more than slapping up posters and writing copy.

You truly are my long lost brother.

Seems like a great month for everybody!! I am very happy with the results!
This is a tricky statement to be making. That was true for last year, but it may not be true for this year. No one here has a crystal ball, so we will just have to wait and see.
But, I agree with you that "dead" months are still very important, and Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all know this I think.....Otherwise MS would not have dropped the price on the X1 again, and Sony & Nintendo would not be releasing high profile games around this time of year, so yeah, it is very important.

Thanks! this is very informative. It looks like both the Xbox and PS brand will seen groth this gen as far as % marketshare goes in the US, but only at the expense of Nintendo's stumbelings.....I hope they do better next time.

Sony only has 10.9 million PS plus subscriptions and that inculdes vita and ps3.
PS4 has sold 18.5 million so that is about 60% and that is if all 10.9 million have a ps4.
Yes!! It is quite amazing to think about how many subscribers they might have when the PS4 has a userbase of 100M!!
I think that is why Sony knows that the PS4's success is very important to their company.
They may have lost a lot in PS3 gen, but they are going to make boat loads this gen with massive HW +SW + Sub sales!
It just goes to show how backloaded the success of the generation seems to be. The people working on the platform 2-4 years before launch are directly responsible for their success.
Having a good message and game plan from the get go is infinitely important, and shows with how well they are doing now!

You can't assume that every console that is connected also has a PS+ subscription.

Yep... here it is: E3 2014: 95% Of PS4s Connected to the Internet

Tonight during Sony's E3 press conference, SCEA CEO Shawn Layden revealed that 95 percent of PlayStation 4 consoles are connected to the Internet.

Plenty of games that people love have been unprofitable or unsuccessful. That's okay. It's business. It's not a reflection on the game or the people that love the game.

This also makes me wonder if the X1/PS4 will peak next year or 2016?

Last gen. peaked in 2008 it seems, which was the second full year for PS3, and Wii, and the third full year for the 360.

Thoughts anyone?....Next year does seem to be loaded with good software....

You can't assume that every console that is connected also has a PS+ subscription.

Yep... here it is: E3 2014: 95% Of PS4s Connected to the Internet

Plenty of games that people love have been unprofitable or unsuccessful. That's okay. It's business. It's not a reflection on the game or the people that love the game.

My point was to show you that no where near 95% of PS4 users online .
You said you did not know so i gave you the info and the info i gave from the press release when they sold 18.5 million ,E3 was months ago .

Why did MS raise the price back to $399 only to lower it again right away back to $349?

Because Dec NPD showed they won at that price. Sales probably fell through the floor at price increase. Therefore it was a no brainer. Either they give Sony the only market they may have a chance in, or they take the hit on profit margins and try to gain more marketshare. And hope that Sony remains at that price for the remainder of the year.

My point was to show you that no where near 95% of PS4 users online .
You said you did not know so i gave you the info and the info i gave from the press release when they sold 18.5 million ,E3 was months ago .

So they went from 95% connected to the internet to 60% since E3? I can't get there. And using PS+ as your max value still isn't a good assumption.

In any case, it doesn't matter for an NPD thread, and it certainly doesn't matter when talking US sales of DC.

So they went from 95% connected to the internet to 60% since E3?

Sorry, don't see how that can be the case.

What ??
They sold more systems as sales go up the connected people percenatge goes down because some people don't care about online .
Also i only use the psn max value to show you ( and others ) that using leader board for sales usless either way .

Saty

Your mistake is thinking # of ps4 consoles online = # of PS+ subs. You can be online without subscribing to ps+.

Your mistake is thinking # of ps4 consoles online = # of PS+ subs. You can be online without subscribing to ps+.

Yep, plus connectivity just won't swing like that. Even if it did, that % of users x the attach rate for DC? Just wouldn't make a meaningful difference to total sales.

Anyways, I don't see an analyst in the world that would assume DC will end up being profitable. But who knows. Like I said, maybe they had great Season Pass attach, maybe they have big plans for the PS+ version to launch with a purchase discount or something.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
wii u isn't exactly 580k

and dude....you're getting further and further away from that xbox one number, haha

lol
you're so mean to me! Kids these days, they have no respect for 'Decade club members' GAFfers! :p

I believe its 1.3. You're going too high.

It's more like 1.35.

Thanks guys :)

The Order will easily do over 300k.

bookmarked ;)

Actually LCU is already past 300k

Hiltz said:
Capcom stated Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD for Wii U sold 500,000 copies, but most sales came from Japan.

Actually, a first for a Monster Hunter title, the (slight) majority of the sales came from outside Japan.

Busaiku

Capcom stated Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD for Wii U sold 500,000 copies, but most sales came from Japan.

Last we got for US was 97k in February.
3DS was at 240k then.

Wii U game debuted at 52k, 3DS at 78k.

Of course, none of this has digital in there.

Welfare

This also makes me wonder if the X1/PS4 will peak next year or 2016?

Last gen. peaked in 2008 it seems, which was the second full year for PS3, and Wii, and the third full year for the 360.

Thoughts anyone?....Next year does seem to be loaded with good software....

I think they'll peak in 2016. Either that or when they hit $299.

Josman

I'm surprised, $350 + 2 games vs $400 + 1 game and PS4 is still ahead on Amazon, things may change as the new price is very recent but it seems MS is in a bad position, they have to disscount the console and include big new releases + god knows how many adverts I've seen for it to be percieved at an equal value with a $400 PS4.

Seems to me that Sony won't care about a price cut until GDDR5 and the APU drop prices.

So basically this generation is a repeat of the sixth generation. Sony's share of the market is lower, Microsoft's is higher, and Nintendo's is lower, but overall sales are comparable, and likely a bit higher when we consider that generations seem to peak in their second full year.

The eighth generation is the sixth generation with slightly different sales ratios and slightly more sales overall due to natural growth. It's like the seventh generation never happened.

Is this just an American phenomenon or does it apply worldwide?

Hubble

Console sales are important but people are overlooking the total sale of games. It is pretty amazing Xbox One games outsold more than the PS4 with a smaller install base in November and December. Just shows you more people are gaming on Xbox One than PS4.

Console sales are important but people are overlooking the total sale of games. It is pretty amazing Xbox One games outsold more than the PS4 with a smaller install base in November and December. Just shows you more people are gaming on Xbox One than PS4.

total retail software sales for xb1 were higher than total retail software sales for ps4 in november and december

but it's important to note that a greater digital presence on ps4 might offset the retail discrepancies.

Welfare

total retail software sales for xb1 was higher than total retail software sales for ps4 in november and december

but it's important to note that a greater digital presence on ps4 might offset the retail discrepancies.

Is it right to assume that EA Access is impacting the Xbox One retail versions of the EA games currently in the program (Madden 15, PvZ, BF4, etc.)?

Hubble

ha. Funny post. And what says not the same for Xbox One? Xbox Live has a very heavy online presence, and people buy a lot of games digitally there too e.g., MCC. Not to mention the availability of more apps on Xbox One is bringing more people interacting online than ever before on the console. I'm sure online sales between PS4 and XBO are comparable.

EA Access has also shown success in the digital space.

Is it right to assume that EA Access is impacting the Xbox One retail versions of the EA games currently in the program (Madden 15, PvZ, BF4, etc.)?

It wouldn't shock me. The EA Access games are the only games on XB1 I even have digitally apart from digital-only games and a lot of people on my friendslist have EA Access.

ha. Funny post. And what says not the same for Xbox One? Xbox Live has a very heavy online presence, and people buy a lot of games digitally there too e.g., MCC. Not to mention the availability of more apps on Xbox One is bringing more people interacting online than ever before on the console. I'm sure online sales between PS4 and XBO are comparable.

No one is console warring... Take it easy. And you are not sure they are comparable because you do not know.

what are you saying, there? are you implying i have a sony bias or something?

well news flash....i actually have a good amount of money in microsoft.

if anything, i should be biased *towards* microsoft. but as you'll see from my posts, i remain as neutral as possible.

we're talking about total software spend. the ps4 has a greater digital presence with more digital games, and more f2p games.

so it's natural to assume that the greater retail spend on the xbox one would be at least partially offset, given the ps4's greater installbase.

Conduit

Banned

500k more Xbone owners overall in Nov. and Dec. needing to buy some games to play. Get it now?

Until Nov. and Dec. 95% of multiplatform games sold more on PS4.

CLEEK

I think some of you are going to be suprised at how well The Order does.(at least initially)

After how well Infamous SS sold, I don't see why anyone would think that another similar Sony 1st party game would not be similarly successfully.

Even Killzone was a million seller, and that was the worst AAA game I've played in a very, very long time, with poor word of mouth and less than stellar reviews.

The jury is still out about whether The Order will be a good game or not, but it's a shoo-in that it will sell well.

Megatron

After how well Infamous SS sold, I don't see why anyone would think that another similar Sony 1st party game would not be similarly successfully.

Even Killzone was a million seller, and that was the worst AAA game I've played in a very, very long time, with poor word of mouth and less than stellar reviews.

The jury is still out about whether The Order will be a good game or not, but it's a shoo-in that it will sell well.

Killzone is a bad comparison though, because Shadowfall was the sixth KillZone game. It had established itself even as a b tier franchise, people knew about it's also it was a launch game on a system who's best game for six months was a digital only indie game. Those millions of people had to buy SOMEthing on their shiny new ps4's and KillZone was it for a lot of gamers (myself included, unfortunately. )There is no way I would buy this game NOW when there are actual good ps4 games to buy. So we can't just assume a new game is going to sell well just because kHz did. I mean look at how badly driveclub is selling.

That said, man I really hope the order is good and the doubters will have to eat crow.

Top Bottom