• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2016 (and the year's best selling games)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Overall Results:

December retail game sales are down 15% year over year.

Hardware was down 20% year over year.

Console and Handheld game sales were down 12% year over year.

Physical and Steam PC software sales were down 13% year over year.

Software Results:

December 2016:
  1. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
  2. Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix)
  3. Battlefield 1 (EA)
  4. Madden NFL 17 (EA)
  5. NBA 2K17 (Take-Two)
  6. Watch Dogs 2 (Ubisoft)
  7. Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two)
  8. Pokémon Sun* (Nintendo)
  9. FIFA 17 (EA)
  10. Pokémon Moon* (Nintendo)
*No digital sales counted for this game.

Notes:
- ”Final Fantasy XV was the second best-selling title for December 2016, and was the top-selling title on the PS4," NPD analyst Sam Naji explained in a statement. ”Final Fantasy XV experienced the best console launch month in the history of the franchise (since tracking began in 1995) selling 19 percent more new physical units than Final Fantasy XIII in its launch month and 54 percent more in total dollar revenue including digital full game sales."
- NPD noted that Pokémon Sun and Moon combined sales are the best for the franchise since 2007's Diamond and Pearl, while a Call of Duty game was in the top spot for ninth year in a row.
- "The Interactive Gaming Toys segment consumer spend sold half the volume the segment achieved a year ago. The only brand to achieve year-on-year growth was LEGO Dimensions, originally launched in September 2015."

Full Year:
  1. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
  2. Battlefield 1 (EA)
  3. Tom Clancy's The Division (Ubisoft)
  4. NBA 2K17 (Take-Two)
  5. Madden NFL 17 (EA)
  6. Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two)
  7. Overwatch (Activision Blizzard)
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Activision Blizzard)
  9. FIFA 17 (EA)
  10. Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix)
Notes:
- As for EA's World War I-themed shooter, Battlefield 1 actually enjoyed 10% higher dollar spending than last year's Star Wars Battlefront. And of course, in the portable realm, Pokemon: Sun and Moon reigned supreme, as the combined sales were the best for the franchise since Pokémon Diamond and Pearl in 2007.

Publisher Scoreboard:
Activision Blizzard: 3
EA: 3
Take-Two: 2
Ubisoft: 1
Square Enix: 1

December Hardware:

PS4: #1
XB1: Up 10%

Notes:
- ”Unfortunately, the release of the Xbox One S and the PlayStation 4 Pro did not generate dollar spending growth," Naji said. ”Although the combined ARP for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 systems decreased by 15 percent, consumers bought 7 percent fewer units."
- Sales of Nintendo's nostalgic NES Classic Edition were up 14 percent compared to November, its debut month that saw it move 196,000 consoles. Meanwhile, Pokémon helped the aging 3DS portable grow its sales by 2 percent from December 2015.
- The PlayStation 4 was the top-selling console of the month, with the PlayStation 4 Slim System 500GB Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Bundle performing the best. However, the Xbox One saw a 10 percent increase in the number of consoles sold over the same period last year.

Full Year Notes:
- "2016 was a tough year for hardware spending," acknowledged NPD analyst Sam Naji. "The category was down 24 percent as unit sales and the average retail price for consoles declined compared to 2015. On a positive note, Nintendo did shift an additional 4 percent of 3DS systems thanks in large part to the heightened demand for Pokemon."

Other Information:

Sure.

Average pricing for software is pretty strong, despite the discounting everyone is talking about.

HW pricing was weak. So although HW units were pretty good, unit sales didn't increase at a level where it could offset the drop in pricing.

3DS continues to do exceptionally well despite its age. Pokemon certainly helps.

Hot take - Nintendo would be able to sell more NES Classics.

PS5 will come out and GTAV will still be selling .
That game is a monster .
Also really good FF sales as we said in the next thread.

Loudninja

Top Downloads: December 2016
PS4 Games
1 ARK: Survivor's Pack
2 FINAL FANTASY XV
3 Need for Speed
4 Grand Theft Auto V
5 Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
6 Battlefield 1
7 Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
8 Watch Dogs 2
9 Star Wars Battlefront
10 Rocket League
11 Titanfall 2
12 EA SPORTS FIFA 17
13 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
14 Bloodborne
15 TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX SIEGE
16 EA SPORTS UFC 2
17 Overwatch: Origins Edition
18 Madden NFL 17
19 NBA 2K17
20 Until Dawn

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/06/playstation-stores-top-downloads-of-2016/

ggx2ac

Sales of Nintendo’s nostalgic NES Classic Edition were up 14 percent compared to November, its debut month that saw it move 196,000 consoles. Meanwhile, Pokémon helped the aging 3DS portable grow its sales by 2 percent from December 2015.

That should be approximately 223,440 units for December.

Despite all the bad press and fanboy low ratings COD still the king looks like it. And Battlefield once more has to hold that L lol. (I am a battlefield fan BTW and IMO its the much better of the two games)

Also Damn FFXV top 10? Despite coming out like 3 months ago? sick! FF hype is still alive and well (its also my goty)

Ray Down

Banned
Dead Rising 4 ain't rising up the list.

Good results for FFXV in the NPD ant top 10 of the year.

Damn, GTA5 beat Overwtach for the 6th spot.

FFXV is the top Japanese game, holy dang. That is SUPER good, and well-deserved. I feel like only the combined Sun and Moon could contest that, do we have combined figures for those?

malfcn

December 2016 Top 10 Xbox One Games

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Battlefield 1
Final Fantasy XV
Madden NFL 17
NBA 2K17
Watch Dogs 2
Titanfall 2
Grand Theft Auto V
Forza Horizon 3
FIFA 17

No Halo or Gears.
And of course no Dead Rising 4.

Loudninja

Top Downloads: 2016 (Full Year)
PS4 Games
1 Rocket League
2 Battlefield 1
3 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
4 Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
5 Tom Clancy’s The Division
6 Grand Theft Auto V
7 Overwatch: Origins Edition
8 Battlefield 4
9 No Man’s Sky
10 EA SPORTS FIFA 17
11 NBA 2K17
12 Need for Speed
13 Star Wars Battlefront
14 TOM CLANCY’S RAINBOW SIX SIEGE
15 Battlefield Hardline
16 Madden NFL 17
17 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
18 UNCHARTED 4: A Thief’s End
19 The Last Of Us Remastered
20 FINAL FANTASY XV
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/06/playstation-stores-top-downloads-of-2016/

3DS selling more this month this year than this month last year. A fairly convincing argument that Nintendo shouldn't kill it yet. I wonder if Pokemon Stars will come to 3DS also.

3DS selling more this month this year than this month last year. A fairly convincing argument that Nintendo shouldn't kill it yet. I wonder if Pokemon Stars will come to 3DS also.

Last holiday was weak as hell for the 3DS. What was the biggest game, wasn't it Tri Force Heroes or something? First time in forever there was no mainline Pokemon in NA that year.

Does that mean it outsold Uncharted IV?

That's impressive since its only been out 1.5 months.

Uncharted 4 probably would sell more if bundles were counted, but that's still pretty staggering if FFXV outdid its solo release.

Duxxy3

Nintendo fucked up. It was damn near impossible to find 3DS's in December. Whatever they could have put on the shelves would have sold.

And holy shit at that FFXV result.

Does that mean it outsold Uncharted IV?

That's impressive since its only been out 1.5 months.
Yes.

It also opened higher than FFXIII if we count unit sales which opened to 1 million and it generated 54 percent more revenue if we count digital sales.

Despite all the bad press and fanboy low ratings COD still the king looks like it. And Battlefield once more has to hold that L lol. (I am a battlefield fan BTW and IMO its the much better of the two games)

Also Damn FFXV top 10? Despite coming out like 3 months ago? sick! FF hype is still alive and well (its also my goty)

Battlefield has no "L to hold" it's going to sell substantially over 10 million units

Also FFXV is in the top 10 with slightly more than 1 month of tracking

For those wondering it's 1.5 million physical. Likely close to 2 million with digital

I like how The Division is just chilling there casually lol.

I highly doubt Wildlands will be able to replay its success this year.

120v

gratz tabata & co.

i guess this more or less puts to rest CoD being "in decline"? even though i'm sure its down from blops3 by a lot

z1ggy

I´m one of those people that bought a PS4 Slim + Uncharted + FF XV

It's nice to see these good numbers, now Japan can give us more AAA RPGs right?

:(

Bravo Dice and Battlefield One

Deserves that high ranking on best sales of the year. If there was no COD4 I really feel like Battlefield would have been the best selling game of the year.

Jesus christ, GTAV will never stop.

I think it feels like at times that every person who jumps to the next gen, just buys GTA as well, it really does look that much better on current gen systems. For a game selling so well, wish it would have a HDR mode.

Really impressive results for Final Fantasy XV. They have to be happy with the sales thus far. When the PC version hits, it'll certainly make things sweeter.

dugdug

Banned
Every year, we always get the line "Is this the year Call of Duty falls?"

And nope. Even with that massive hate campaign against it, it still comes out on top. I love it.

Branduil

Well, they're not killing it, there's still software lined up for this year. I expect that to come to an end in 2018 though.

Xb1 and Ps4 sales in the us for those who want to know the famous "gaps"

2013 - launch period
XB1: 1.82M
PS4: 2m
gap: 0.18M (10%)

2014 - huge xbox one holiday sales
XB1: 4.37M
PS4: 4.69M
gap: 0.32M (7.5%)

2015 - huge holiday sales for ps4 and strong overall year
XB1: 4.93M (up 13%)
PS4: 5.72M (up 22%)
gap: 0.79M (16%)

December 2016
XB1: 1,511K (up 10%)
PS4: 1,568K (down 1%)

2016H2 - launch of Xbox One S
XB1: 3.62M (down 1%)
PS4: 3.51M (down 16%)
Gap: -0.11M (-3%)

2016 - close holiday sales, very strong Q1 for ps4
XB1: 4.73M (down 4%)
Ps4: 5.09M (down 11%)
gap: 0.36M (7.5%)

LTD
XB1: 15.85M
PS4: 17.5M
gap: 1.65M (10.5%)

Edit:
Console sku breakdown

Nov + Dec
Ps4 Total 2,668k
Ps4 Pro 480k (18%)

November
Ps4 Total: 1,100k
Ps4 Pro: 243k (22%)

December
Ps4 Total: 1,568k
Ps4 Slim: 1,200k (76.5%)
Ps4 Pro: 238k (15%)
Ps4: 130k (8.5%)

Xb1 Total : 1,511k
Xb1 S: >1,209k (>80%)
Xb1: <302k (<20%)

Duxxy3

Every year, we always get the line "Is this the year Call of Duty falls?"

And nope. Even with that massive hate campaign against it, it still comes out on top. I love it.

CoD at 50% still sells more than anything else.

It's still a massive decline from BO3.

Someone else estimated TLG @ 300K sales?

Very good, IMHO.

Let's hope Sony continues their relationship with Ueda's genDESIGN

Also, FFXV doing well hopefully means Square continues to churn out AAA content. I'd love if they established enough studios to release an FF title every 2-3 years instead of every 7. And I also wish they'd ditch the sub-titles for game and just put the resources into new FF's.

Top Bottom