• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Is that a typo? Why is 360 selling 400k in a non-holiday month?

Disappointed in Star Ocean sales, but very impressed by SF4, best opening by a non-Smash Bros fighter since this gen started I believe.

joey_z

Banned
Il Comodino said:
why? Kilzzone sell only 2 days

It's a bit surprising considering what people expected out of the advanced orders on the game. Sony marketing really didn't do it any justice. Guess the legs of the sales now rely on word of mouth.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Grecco said:
and KZ underwhelms. Sony has themselves to blame. They dropped the ball on the advertisement on that game.
One commercial, one week before launch. It still makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I'm surprised it did that well considering how bad the advertising was.

NeoUltima

Street Fighter IV* (360) 446K
Street Fighter IV* (PS3) 403K

o shnap...I figured the attach ratio for SF4 would be higher for ps3, but not by this much

(slightly) different demographics confirmed?

Opiate

I agree that the 360's results are the most surprising.

The Wii's totals last year were clearly supply constrained, so massive gains aren't particularly big news, as we already were aware of shipment increases.

The 360's price cut is over half a year old, now, so these significant gains YoY that we've sustained for months -- nearly 50% in this month in particular -- have to be considered a genuine increase in demand and not just a temporary bubble that will see demand fall back down to previous levels.

chubigans said:
Could it have actually been the Lost and the Damned? Because it sure as hell wasn't Halo Wars.

Hmmm...

Halo Wars wasn't even out in February. Obviously it "sure as hell wasn't Halo Wars". It wasn't Halo ODST either.

It was most like Street Fighter and maybe a sprinkle of TLAD.

Really nice YOY jump for 360.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
jamesinclair said:
NSMB just cracks me up

Not me.

The more it sells, the further away a sequel will be.

m3k

DrForester said:
under10.gif

i liked the randomness, 8/10

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If Wii Fit keeps selling like this it will surpass the PS3 relatively soon (I believe Stump made this point last month).

Awesome 360 sales, SFIV sales, and KZ2 sales.

But please, someone, SO4 numbers? :(

I know it was one week, but I still was thinking that maybe it'd be in the top 10. Darn.

Nintendo has discovered other worlds. The 65 year old Southern grandmother in my dept. purchased a Wii and Wii Fit for this NPD "Darlin' you know I purchased that Wii!"

It's going to come close to doubling PS2.

My6cats

Banned
rexor0717 said:
Oh no.
Edit: Oh wait, KZ2 was only out for 2 days, never mind.

No they extended the dates to be counted on the NPD, that is why the NPD is late. So add an extra week of sales to those 2 days.

Grecco

chubigans said:
One commercial, one week before launch. It still makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I'm surprised it did that well considering how bad the advertising was.

Not just that. The whole demo exclusive at Gamestop fiasco thing. Uggh.

Mrbob

cvxfreak said:
SFIV's sales were bigger than I expected.

RE5 will probably score over a million in its first month.

Easily.

Also, Capcom tends to be dominating this gen on the console side. The only publisher I can think of who is constantly getting high sales on both the PS3 and 360.

There must be a large Capcom fanbase still on PS3. The attach rate is much higher than the 360 version.

Of course, the Dpad could be in issue. When I buy the game I'm getting it on PS3 due to superior control.

Stoney Mason said:
And that is where the true battle will be fought...

But next month is so insane!

Resident Evil 5 360
Resident Evil 5 PS3
GTA: Chinatown Wars
Halo Wars

All of which could conceivably do better. There might even be other stuff I'm forgetting, not to mention the usual Wii/DS craziness.

P90

Aristotlekh said:
I honestly don't understand what's pushing 750,000+ Wiis in the month of godforsaken February.

My place of employment bought 3 Wiis and 3 WiiFits in February. I ordered an additional Wii and WiiFit today. WiiHab works.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
My6cats said:
No they extended the dates to be counted on the NPD, that is why the NPD is late. So add an extra week of sales to those 2 days.
No, it was late because sometimes that happens. The number of weeks for February was unchanged (4 weeks).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
BenjaminBirdie said:
Halo Wars wasn't even out in February. Obviously it "sure as hell wasn't Halo Wars". It wasn't Halo ODST either.

It was most like Street Fighter and maybe a sprinkle of TLAD.

Really nice YOY jump for 360.
I know that, but the demo was out in Feb. And Wars wouldn't move 360s either (an RTS with the Halo license that Halo fans already have 360s for).

Probably Street Fighter, you're right.

jett

D-Member
These continued, insane Wii sales are seriously disgusting. Are all the nongamers just buying it for WiiFit?

My6cats said:

This is false.

Gaborn

Am I the only person that just bursts into laughter when they see how much the Wii sold each month? It's a great console but... I mean... it just SHATTERS all of the previous records, and that's true whether or not there's a "new" big release for it too.

Nolan. said:
So is halo dead yet...
VALIS said:
Halo Wars was released in March. Wrong month.
Halo Wars Sells 1 Millionth Game

>> From the press release:
Microsoft today announced that sales of "Halo Wars" have reached more than one million units worldwide, making the exclusive Xbox 360 title the best selling real-time strategy game on any current generation console. With a revolutionary control scheme designed expressly for the Xbox 360 controller and a riveting story that takes "Halo" fans deeper into the "Halo" universe, "Halo Wars" is breaking new ground for the strategy genre by introducing a new wave of fans to strategy games and reminding existing fans why it's so fun.

Set in the year 2525, "Halo Wars" takes players on a perilous journey through the famed "Halo" universe. As players take the command seat in the early, epic battles between the UNSC and Covenant, they will begin to unravel events 20 years before "Halo: Combat Evolved" that shaped the franchise into what it is today.

Since the game's release throughout Asia on February 26 and subsequent launches in Europe and the Americas, fans around the world have been taking full advantage of "Halo Wars'" rich Xbox LIVE gameplay. To date:
· There have been more than 2.6 million multiplayer matches played
· More than 118 years of time has been spent in multiplayer matches on Xbox LIVE
· On average, more than 200,000 "Halo Wars" fans have taken up arms in battles between the UNSC and Covenant each day
· For more statistics and game information, fans can visit the official stats page at: http://www.halowars.com/stats/globalstats.aspx

But these initial explosive battles in "Halo Wars" are just beginning. Microsoft is working closely with partner and newly formed studio Robot Entertainment, which is comprised of "Halo Wars" and "Age of Empires" veterans from Ensemble Studios. More Halo Wars content is being prepared, so stay tuned.

BenjaminBirdie said:
But next month is so insane!

Resident Evil 5 360
Resident Evil 5 PS3
GTA: Chinatown Wars
Halo Wars

All of which could conceivably do better. There might even be other stuff I'm forgetting, not to mention the usual Wii/DS craziness.

Next month is one of those months where I hope the top 20 leaks fairly quickly.

Lots of big games. And we get to see whether Killzone 2 is a megahit or just a relative hit.

VALIS

My6cats said:

Is this true? That would explain the 360's huge year over year jump. Would be bad news for KZ2, though.

swerve

mj1108 said:
So Nintendo has had supply and demand in the stores.

But 753k in February....jesus christ....

It *is* perfectly possible for supply to outweigh demand without a need for demand to drop at all.

Top Bottom