• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Boss Man

Good job Sony advertising!

Killzone 2 will get a lot more sales, but Sony's awful marketing won't let it sell nearly as many as it should. How are they not all fired?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BenjaminBirdie said:
But next month is so insane!

Resident Evil 5 360
Resident Evil 5 PS3
GTA: Chinatown Wars
Halo Wars

All of which could conceivably do better. There might even be other stuff I'm forgetting, not to mention the usual Wii/DS craziness.

Chinatown Wars isn't even going to be in the ballpark.

How the devil can NSMB keep selling and selling like that? Those sales should rightfully belong to the infinitely superior Super Mario Galaxy, by gum!

Narcosis

You know, we keep reading that data of some kind shows that there's not a lot of crossover ownership of the consoles, but I really don't know how to explain the closeness of SFIV without some guess that multiplatform owners chose a PS3 version. If the PS3 version did 400K you'd assume with install base the 360 would do upwards of 700-800K.

So, just what is this supposed data we keep hearing about that says the numbers of PS3/360 cross-ownership is insignificant? is that still relevant, or did SF just hit a magical nerve with PS3 owners?

joey_z

Banned
NeoUltima said:
I am quite impressed @ 360 numbers. $199 really is the mass market price.

Nintendo would tell you that's $250. They've truly broken the entire concept behind capitalist economics and game theory. Someone needs to make a GIF of Iwata banging the market demand and supply curves.

Chrange

Banned
Frillen said:
KZ2 was technically out for minus 3 days.

Everyone knows you can't buy a PS3 game until it's aged on the shelf for a week, so it's technically minus five days to the real launch.

Of course that means March will be five days short of a full month's sales, so it might be better to wait for April to see what happens there.

szaromir

Banned
1st place console sells 750k and 2nd place console has 400k in February. Crazy times for video games, especially if you consider economy. Now that publishers are getting their act together, I think industry will be finally in great condition for the next few years after recent hurdles.

Frillen

BenjaminBirdie said:

Resident Evil 5 360
Resident Evil 5 PS3
Halo Wars

All of which could conceivably do better. There might even be other stuff I'm forgetting, not to mention the usual Wii/DS craziness.

You forgot something that starts with a P and ends with okemon.

zsidane

Good numbers for the 360!
Impressive SF4!! Capcom is on a roll, and looks like the only 3rd party publisher who's getting it right!

harSon

Banned
VALIS said:
Halo Wars was released in March. Wrong month.

I think he's trying to play off the "Halo Killer" hype.

I'm actually really surprised at the 360's numbers, they're damned good. I expected the gap between the two versions of SF4 to be close but these are a bit closer then I initially thought, I guess it shouldn't be all that surprising, all of my friends with a choice went for the Playstation 3 version due to the controller issue.

cvxfreak

March will also be huge thanks to Pokemon Platinum. I think that one will surprise everyone the most. I think it may even surpass the 360 version of RE5.

CTLance

Hmmmh. So that's why the server was so effing slow.

Nintendomination as usuall, SF4 seems to have done quite well. KZ2 seems to have suffered from its bad timing. Still respectable, but releasing alongside SF4 can't have been good for sales.

Cripes, the GIF overload on the first page is insane. Are you guys sitting there refreshing every five seconds around NPD time?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
BenjaminBirdie said:

Resident Evil 5 360
Resident Evil 5 PS3
Halo Wars

I'm very curious to know how many people (besides cvxfreak) will be buying the RE5 360 bundle.

NeoUltima

Stumpokapow said:
whats so funny? isn't it surprising? over twice as many 360s as ps3s yet sold about the same on both consoles. Shows that the two consoles really do have slightly different demographics.

JavyOO7

I love SMG but it looks like people will continue buying NSMB over it seeing as how its 2d and much more accessible than its big brother...

boontje

BenjaminBirdie said:

Resident Evil 5 360
Resident Evil 5 PS3
Halo Wars

Pokemon Platinum?

Edit: beaten

Crisis

Banned
Good SFIV numbers for both consoles. Capcom's gotta be loving it. Killzone 2 numbers are quite good for two days of sales. It'll sell quite a bit more and be reflected in the March NPD although probably not as high or even in the top ten. Wii Fit is fucking crazy.

joey_z

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
Halo Wars Sells 1 Millionth Game

>> From the press release:

Any idea whether Killzone 2 reached the million mark as yet? Surely Halo Wars can't beat Killzone 2 in sales. Blood will run down the streets of GAF that day and clog the gutters with the smell of insanity.

Brannon

Nintendo is pure dominance as usual, two gamecubes kicking ass with the power of the duct tape!

Microsoft, cool beans. Got a steady pace and aren't about to break it any time soon.

Sony. Price Drop. Doesn't matter if you can't afford it, you can't not afford it either. Unstoppable force vs immoveable object situation here.

PC. Diablo III and StarCraft II are coming. And we all know what's going to happen then...

jett

D-Member
DevelopmentArrested said:
wow. i live in canada and can taste your bitter tears from here

It was actually a serious question. The number off wiifits sold is pretty close to the wii's. 750k on fucking februrary is not by any means normal for a video game console. Obviously non-gamers are pushing for that insanity.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
cw_sasuke said:
So Star Ocean also tanked - just like all SE 360 efforts?

Fixed. Pretty sure both IU and TLR bombed in the US as well, if you count actual sold units and not the ridiculous amounts of channel stuffing S-E did.

Mrbob said:
Easily.

Also, Capcom tends to be dominating this gen on the console side. The only publisher I can think of who is constantly getting high sales on both the PS3 and 360.

There must be a large Capcom fanbase still on PS3. The attach rate is much higher than the 360 version.

Of course, the Dpad could be in issue. When I buy the game I'm getting it on PS3 due to superior control.

I was expecting this for DMC4, but it ended up being much more in favor of 360. I was surprised to see SF4 this way because of how DMC4 ended up, but I'm guessing it is the Dpad.

Crisis said:
Good SFIV numbers for both consoles. Capcom's gotta be loving it. Killzone 2 numbers are quite good for two days of sales. It'll sell quite a bit more and be reflected in the March NPD although probably not as high or even in the top ten. Wii Fit is fucking crazy.
Yep KZ2 will be either in the low end of the top 10 next month or not even in the Top 10.

People are really thinking sales will stay on that pace after 3 days? I mean usually sales drop off by over 75% after 3 days..

Thunder Monkey said:
The only thing predictable about the numbers were the positions of them. Each did a lot better then I expected.

And then there were the hardware sales. Also much higher then I expected.
I expected the PS3 to do better with Killzone 2 hype in full swing and I thought the 360 might get a boost. Although, I based that on the price drop plus SF4's release (I even bought another 360 so a friend could play SF4). Wii, DS and PSP seem pretty consistent. I guess I'm the only one that's not surprised. :\

Software sales just make me curious about the DS top 10 since NSMB and MKDS are selling so strong since Dec.

Top Bottom