• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Man God

Non-Canon Member
AniHawk said:
I'm confused as to how this did well.

It's fun?

Oh and rabid Gamecube fans back for revenge, $40 initial price tag, and a few other things.

I'm still frankly amazed original ToS did so well over here.

Loudninja

Rlan said:
So

No House Of The Dead OverKill, Had 18 days of sales, beaten by Nascar Kart Racing which came out on the same day.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection only scratching in on PS3 Top 10. Considering the amount of people who buy XBLA versions of Sonic 1 it's a little surprsing. Will be interesting to see how the next XBLA crop do.

FEAR 2 making it into 3rd place for Xbox games, and 11th overall, so it didn't do too badly. 130kish I imagine. Still not very good, but certainly better than Condemned 2 which bombed to hell.

Loco Roco 2 got cained by Iron Man PSP. Geez.

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride Only got 10 days of sales, but still, is the DS just not pushing the RPG game style outside of Pokemon?

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon doing surprisingly well, probably better than Advance Wars DOR did, which I find weird.

Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? didn't even get a mention. Did I also note that not a single PSP title beat the DS top 10 in sales? What the hell man.

50 Cent Blood On The Sand only had 4 days of sales, but didn't get in any Top 10 lists. Didn't Bulletproof do stupidly well?

Dead Rising CTYD got no mention, but doesn't surprise me with a late date and an already full Wii list.
House Of The Dead OverKill sold 45k

Man God said:
Sad thing is, you could say almost the same thing about the PS3. Lack of quality hyped RPGs at the moment.

Not that many of the 360 RPGs are big huge names either.

I'd still give the both of them one up on the Wii in the names of Lost Odyssey and, to a lesser degree, White Knight Chronicles. Those had a small share of success upon release. Mind you, I'm giving WKC the benefit of a doubt as far as what its worldwide reception would be. And LO's marketing strategy relied heavily upon riding Sakaguchi's name (and White Rabbit, damn fine song choice) to the top. To those who say Symphonia 2: Tales is a big name only in Japan, and it would take something branded like Mistwalker's games or a new IP altogether with tons of expensive marketing driving it to the top much like Assassin's Creed back in 07. Who knew that one would do as well as it did?

But luckily for us all, we have the portable systems. Hooray DS! Great Job PSP!

The DS and PSP actually leave me not caring about the state of console RPG's in terms of what I'd like to play since there's enough of everything past and upcoming to look forward to on both. It's just jarring that there'd be such a drastic drop-off in halfway decent console releases.

Man God said:
It's fun?

Oh and rabid Gamecube fans back for revenge, $40 initial price tag, and a few other things.

I'm still frankly amazed original ToS did so well over here.
It was the only jrpg even released for the damn console. Like, there's that and what? One Fire Emblem game? Truthfully I think that's the only reason WKC has done that well too.

DarkMehm

Son of Godzilla said:
It was the only jrpg even released for the damn console. Like, there's that and what? One Fire Emblem game? Truthfully I think that's the only reason WKC has done that well too.

How can you forget two of the best RPGs of last Generation? Baten Kaitos and Baiten Kaitos Origins.

AniHawk

DarkMehm said:
How can you forget two of the best RPGs of last Generation? Baten Kaitos and Baiten Kaitos Origins.

That's an odd way of spelling Knights of the Old Republic and Skies of Arcadia.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
That's an odd way of spelling Sudeki and Lord of the Rings: The Third Age.

Man, that's pretty mean to The Third Age, grouping it with Sudeki! :lol

Unless somehow you are serious about this...

farnham

Banned
BrodiemanTTR said:
Gotta give it to Sega, they tried. Wii owners just didn't answer the call. So long third-party efforts, we hardly knew ye.
HOTDOK is doing pretty well in Europe though

judging from the weekly charts

Rlan

Eteric Rice said:
Not really, will probably sell over the next few months.

Like most Wii games do.

HOTD, Along with MadWorld, are those kind of games that are meant to break that marketing trend. Makes you think twice about Dead Space Wii and some of these other games.

Rlan said:
HOTD, Along with MadWorld, are those kind of games that are meant to break that marketing trend. Makes you think twice about Dead Space Wii and some of these other games.
At the end of the day, HotD is still a lightgun game. Like shmups, there seems to be a ceiling price that most people will pay for this genre, and I'm pretty sure said ceiling is under $50 somewhere. I certainly hope the producers of other rail shooters aren't expecting that to change just because Wii owners have shown a healthy interest in smartly-priced lightgun games.

jeremy1456 said:
I would be surprised if it didn't.

I personally expect 150k in the US when all is said and done. Depending on whether or not the game is released in Japan I predict the game to reach a WW total of around 350k. That would be pretty decent.

chances are HOTD should easily do 350k in europe alone

Sadist

Well, does anybody know how the other two Sega lightgun games performed? I know Ghost Squad released for $ 30 in the US, while in Europe it released for € 60. And didn't House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return reach the 100k or 200k point in the UK?

Sadist said:
Well, does anybody know how the other two Sega lightgun games performed? I know Ghost Squad released for $ 30 in the US, while in Europe it released for € 60. And didn't House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return reach the 100k or 200k point in the UK?
The numbers for those titles haven't been released publicly, so even if some cheeky GAFfers do know, they're not going to be able to say.

Segata Sanshiro said:
The numbers for those titles haven't been released publicly, so even if some cheeky GAFfers do know, they're not going to be able to say.

Well, in the UK at least you can get a ballpark figure as HotD 2+3 hit one or two of the ELSPA sales awards. I don't recall which ones, but they're awarded when games exceed certain unit sales.

HotD: Overkill is currently placing better than HotD 2+3 (and sitting longer in the charts) so it's fairly certain it will exceed the sales achieved by HotD 2+3 in the UK.

It's interesting to note that it hasn't performed as well in the US, but I think the price has been a big factor - most people just aren't willing to pay that much for a rail shooter, no matter how good it is.

EDIT:

Here you are - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14248183&postcount=1.

So, both Ghost Squad and HotD 2+3 have exceeded 100k in the UK alone as of December 2008. I'd expect them to have maybe climbed a little higher since then but we won't know quite how much they've improved unless they appear in the Gold award list or we get a leak.

If HotD: Overkill is charting higher and longer, and it shows the legs of Sega's earlier rail shooters I'd say it's got a good chance of doing 200k+

Nocebo

lawblob said:
Wow at L4D and Fallout 3. Cash cows.

Im' seriously considering buying another 360 just for L4D. Looks amazing.
I can't imagine L4D being fun on 360, especially multiplayer versus mode.

Johann

jeremy1456 said:
Mumble mumble
Lost Odyssey
mumble.

Yeah, I realize that was the exception to the rule. I wonder why that is though.

Well, for one thing, it had a very good localization. It wasn't something put together the last two months of development.

The voice-casting was generally excellent and some voice actors got to ad-lib their lines. The script was very natural and didn't have the typical problems in a JRPG's script.

The game's artwork appeared culture neutral despite its Japanese origin. A person wouldn't look at the box art and assumptions of what to expect from the game since it had Anime inspired artwork

Most importantly, it had very good marketing that knew its audience.

Segata Sanshiro said:
At the end of the day, HotD is still a lightgun game. Like shmups, there seems to be a ceiling price that most people will pay for this genre, and I'm pretty sure said ceiling is under $50 somewhere. I certainly hope the producers of other rail shooters aren't expecting that to change just because Wii owners have shown a healthy interest in smartly-priced lightgun games.

That's a really good point actually. I got the game as a gift and looking back, it's still my favourite game this year - but I wouldn't have paid the retail price. It should have been $40 since HOTD 2+3 and Ghost Squad were only $30.

Top 10 Nintendo DS

6. NDS FIRE EMBLEM: SHADOW DRAGON - NINTENDO OF AMERICA
8. NDS KIRBY SUPER STAR ULTRA - NINTENDO OF AMERICA
melissa2_2.gif

xbhaskarx

Wii: +321k
360: +136.4k
NDS: +.4k
PS3: -4.8k
PSP: -44.1k
PS2: -220.8k

The change in 360-PS3 from last year is 140k in favor of the 360, yet the PS3 still sold quite well.
I wonder if that's because of Killzone 2, or because people are still just as willing to spend $400 on a PS3 despite the tough economy?
I guess we'll find out next month.

markatisu

Rlan said:
Welp, that's fucked.

I am glad nobody here cares to read the fucking thread at all

The bar for lightgun games on Wii in the US is

REUC 455k and NERF ~500k

REUC took over a year to get to that point (and launched during the holidays) as did NERF

There was no reason to expect more than say 75k from HoTD Overkill at all, its just never happened for a light gun game in a non holiday push (REUC opened at 121k back in Nov of 2007, a time which everything sells inflated)

Gotta give it to Sega, they tried. Wii owners just didn't answer the call. So long third-party efforts, we hardly knew ye.

From the charting position of HoTD Overkill in the UK alone you are going to be proved wrong, the game is well on its way to blowing past the previous iterations and becoming the best selling light gun genre game on the Wii (outside of Links Crossbow Training).

And we will have to wait 4-6 months for see how it does in America but HoTD 2/3 Returns and Ghost Squad never ever made it into the Top 10 of Wii games nor as far as we know into the Top 50 (HoTD Overkill resides in spot #50 of the NPD).

Dabanton

Segata Sanshiro said:
However, it's not quite so good as Wii Fit.

Nothing is.:D

Maybe Sega should think about using the balance board in one of their lightgun games maybe HOTD:Fitness zombies have run amok in a gym and you have to through the power of excercise and heavy weaponry destroy them all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
xbhaskarx said:
Of course the bigger question is, how many months until Wii Fit passes the PS3.

3-6 depending, the difference is ~1.3mln and wii fit won by ~400k this month. i can't imagine there's going to be a case where wii fit wins by less than 200k or more than 500k for the next little while, so presumably this is a good bounding range.

markatisu

Dabanton said:
Maybe Sega should think about using the balance board in one of their lightgun games maybe HOTD:Fitness zombies have run amok in a gym and you have to through the power of excercise and heavy weaponry destroy them all.

Or they could just use the Balance Board in order to enable a Time Crisis like cover system, no need to add any fitness stuff to it

Elios83

So did Star Ocean 4 sell much less than 100k? :O That looks like a disaster for Square Enix, their strategy to focus on the US and European market to sell JRPGs exclusively to 360 has been a complete failure. Japan is still by far the main market for these games.
Capcom seems the only smart japanese company this gen, they bet on a serious multiplatform strategy since the beginning and they won, at least sales wise.

Nocebo

Dabanton said:
Well the sales figures prove your wrong.

It's a good game on PC and 360.
My imagination is my own. Besides, the sales figures say nothing about versus mode. I hear the wonky console aiming makes it hard to fight off hordes of zombies while covered in boomer bile. I don't find that hard to believe seeing how slow console fps generally are.

markatisu

Elios83 said:
So did Star Ocean 4 sell much less than 100k? :O That looks like a disaster for Square Enix, their strategy to focus on the US and European market to sell JRPGs exclusively to 360 has been a complete failure. Japan is still by far the main market for these games.

Capcom seems the only smart japanese company this gen, they bet on a serious multiplatform strategy since the beginning and they won, at least sales wise.

Most likely, it was not in the Top 10 of 360 games the NPD Top 10 cut off is 135k, we dont know where the cut off is for 11-20 but we know HoTD Overkill came in at #50 and sold 45k

JavyOO7

I really want the Time Crisis series to come to Wii. I played 4 the other day and it was awesome.

HOTD 1 and 4 should come to Wii as well. Maybe do a remake of one (I don't think Overkill is a remake of one, right?).

markatisu

JavyOO7 said:
I really want the Time Crisis series to come to Wii. I played 4 the other day and it was awesome.

HOTD 1 and 4 should come to Wii as well. Maybe do a remake of one (I don't think Overkill is a remake of one, right?).

No Overkill is an all new edition set before the rest, a prequel of sorts

farnham

Banned
Elios83 said:
yeah square enix totally failed this gen in terms of platform strategy.. the only platform they choose right was the DS... as a result they dont look like the unbeatable monster third party like they were in the Psone days either.. really i dont get the logic of "US and Europe -> 360" as well.. on all territories the Wii is completely raping 360 and PS3.. (in terms of LTD.. because Japans wii sales in the last month was abyssmal )

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
JavyOO7 said:
I don't think it's going to happen.

After all, how do you sell an expensive lightgun peripheral when the system comes with a light gun packed in?

Top Bottom