• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

starmud

I don't see how sega would think HOTD could crack the top 10, out of any "hardcore/mainstream" title coming to the platform, madworld I believe has the best opportunity to crack the top 10 given the amount of buzz post and pre release, even then though I doubt it will be able to outsell most of what’s in the top 10 right now.

there's too many new wii owners coming on board every month, they all pick up the most well known software (mario kart/wii play/guitar hero/etc). if they are new to video games and casual there's one or two specific reasons as to why they are picking up the system (wiifit etc)

The success stories (of more "gamers" games) so far here in the U.S. have been titles moving nice amounts of software over extended periods. whereas games like HOTD:O would be front loaded on ps3/xbox, chances are the game will form some type of legs (esp as sega lowers the price to mass market friendly) and end up at a successful LTD on the sku. This has been the sweet spot on wii, how sega and other publishers couldn't see it by now would seem somewhat odd.

If you look at segas recent releases they seem to get the system pretty well. they release games like sonic, HOTD, samba/etc. rack in high dollar sales from the devoted/avid wii owners, lower the price to attract more of the mass market gamer, eventually ending its life in the wii bargain bin, where casuals seem to be(20-30$) until a possible squeal/copy of the game hits the system, to repeat. Eventually you have enough titles on the market doing this that you have to be moving a good amount of software every month.

if you look at a company like majesco, they release games that clone the popular titles on wii (wiifit etc) along with games that have simple arcade type game play (cooking mama) that could sell to casual gamers since its non-threatening and more avid gamers who may appreciate the presentation/quirkiness. majesco has really worked a great opportunity, the fit product has sold over 500k+, mama sold over 2m copies last year without (to my knowledge) any or little appearance in the DS top 10?.

the nintendo clones provide easy money, given; you’re knocking off the top product and providing yourself as the second choice to the consumer (IE if the nintendo product is out of stock; retailers constantly push wii fit/mario kart clones). you put out little money, you don't need an exceptional product or marketing but your selling an idea that's already been sold by nintendo and cashing in. your finally seeing other companies do this; ea, with a wiifit clone, kart racing/etc. (though this has been something publishers have understood for awhile on ds, it seems some still don’t get the idea on wii?)

on the other side, you release a healthy amount of wii software aimed at mass market gamers on wii (software that could also get attention from the "hardcore" who have flocked to their HD units). games that have a fair enough budget to produce a product that's visually appealing and that can be sold as a quality title for the system, in turn which will garner attention from the consumers your targeting... if you have enough of this product spaced out and rotating on the system, you'll end up moving a substantial amount of software COMBINED and at the end of the games life end up producing enough sales to justify the endeavor.

you can’t be a publisher on wii just releasing a few big budget; well known franchise titles. you wont get the big launch numbers = producing a profit from a game with a large budget when you’re talking a 5+ month lifespan at retail is too difficult to operate. sega's plan of putting sonic: BK/HOTD/madworld and conduit on the platform within a 5 month window is a good move. none of them (albeit one, maybe) will break the charts but having 4 strong wii showings at retail together should prove successful, collectively on the short term and over the long term for the individual sku's.

its' much healthier for the home console industry (if adapted too), compared to a platform where you cater to just avid gamers who are; fussy (IE the bitching about madworld/hotd’s “polishing” isn't a sale breaking issue to mass market gamers), will read reviews, follow production, you spend millions trying to fulfill what the faithful wants and you either get the dollar or you don't, if you don't... you bomb at launch and lose a ton of money.

i wanted to rant, sorry :x

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Special request for you super sales agers:

Anyone have (or know where I can find) a list of Wii games that have sold a million copies? It can be U.S. only or worldwide, just as long as it's consistent across the list.

Sadist

Htown said:
Special request for you super sales agers:

Anyone have (or know where I can find) a list of Wii games that have sold a million copies? It can be U.S. only or worldwide, just as long as it's consistent across the list.
Don't know where to find them, but here's a list of titles that did a million for sure:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Guitar Hero III
Guitar Hero World Tour
Sonic & the Secret Rings
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
Resident Evil the Umbrella Chronicles
Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga
Lego Indiana Jones
Red Steel
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Family Ski
Carnival Games

Fredescu

starmud said:
This has been the sweet spot on wii, how sega and other publishers couldn't see it by now would seem somewhat odd.
For a game to have legs after a slow start is rarely in the publishers control. If retailers don't want to put another order in for your game after the stock of the first order sold so slowly, there's not much they can do.

jvm

Gamasutra.
donny2112 said:
I believe that to be true [Wii tie ratio < PS3 tie ratio]. Of course I'm pretty sure that the Wii is about to pass the 360 in total software sold this generation, and that it should pass it up in total 3rd-party software sold by no later than early next year. So attach rate isn't everything. :lol
Both the PS3 and Wii have higher tie ratios than the last public figures (October 2008, by my data) but the PS3 is not ahead by much.

donny2112

Htown said:

Nintendo lists what games have shipped over 1 million worldwide for the Wii with their annual/quarterly reports. I think it may just be what games have shipped over 1 million in that fiscal year, though.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/index.html

jvm said:
Both the PS3 and Wii have higher tie ratios than the last public figures (October 2008, by my data) but the PS3 is not ahead by much.

Agreed. The Wii is selling hardware like two PS2s strapped together with duct tape, but it's only selling ~ PS2-level software. That makes it harder to get its tie ratio up by a whole lot. :)

Jokeropia

donny2112 said:
Nintendo lists what games have shipped over 1 million worldwide for the Wii with their annual/quarterly reports. I think it may just be what games have shipped over 1 million in that fiscal year, though.
It's also just first party games that they list.

Fredescu said:
For a game to have legs after a slow start is rarely in the publishers control. If retailers don't want to put another order in for your game after the stock of the first order sold so slowly, there's not much they can do.
I'm pretty sure retailers will order more copies until the game stops selling. They know how Wii software sells, they won't just give up just because it's selling slowly.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Sadist said:
Don't know where to find them, but here's a list of titles that did a million for sure:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Guitar Hero III
Guitar Hero World Tour
Sonic & the Secret Rings
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
Resident Evil the Umbrella Chronicles
Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga
Lego Indiana Jones
Red Steel
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Family Ski
Carnival Games

According to a banned site which I will not mention, there a 41 million+ sellers on the wii, 25 of which are 3rd party.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
chuckddd said:
According to a banned site which I will not mention, there a 41 million+ sellers on the wii, 25 of which are 3rd party.

Last official number was 21 I believe but I think that was before the holidays

billy.sea

Banned
The good thing the Wii has is their games have legs.
Most Wii gamers are casuals and they don't buy games the first week it comes out (like the 360/PS3 crowds). Even if they are interested in a game coming out, they probably don't know the release date for it. They will only know when they suddenly bump into it on the shelves one day and make the purchase.
HOTD will sell a lot when it hits the budget price point.

dolemite

Can somebody confirm if these are legit NPD numbers? They certainly look alright:
NPD: January 2009 Life to Date Numbers

without comments

Multiplatform

Assassin’s Creed - 2.3m (360), 1.15m (PS3)
Bioshock - 998k (360), 106k (PS3)
The Bourne Conspiracy - 103k (360), 83k (PS3)
Burnout Paradise - 371k (360) 306k (PS3)
Civilization Revolution - 96k (DS), 254k (360), 149k (PS3)
The Darkness - 284k (360), 133k (PS3)
Dark Sector - 139k (360), 97k (PS3)
Dead Space - 337k (360), 212k (PS3)
Disgaea - 45k (DS), 78k (PSP)
Dynasty Warriors 6 - 113k (360), 103k (PS3), 26k (PS2)
Eternal Sonata - 98k (360), 33k (PS3)
Fallout 3 - 1.14m (360), 452k (PS3)
Fight Night 3 - 1.19M (360) 526k (PS3)
Guitar Hero 3 - 2.37M (360) 830k (PS3) 2.75M (Wii)
Guitar Hero: World Tour - 924k (360) 466k (PS3) 1.39M (Wii)
Kane & Lynch - 300k (360), 197k (PS3)
Karaoke Revolution Presents American Idol Encore 1 - 85k (360) 46k (PS3)
Karaoke Revolution Presents American Idol Encore 2 - 20k (36o) 16k (PS3)
Lego Batman - 207k (360), 128k (PS3), 507k (PS2), 420k (Wii)
Lego Indiana Jones - 241k (360), 142k (PS3), 456k (PS2), 563k (Wii)
Mirror’s Edge - 207k (360), 125k (PS3)
Mortal Kombat vs DC - 592k (360), 512k (PS3)
N+ - 26k (DS), 21k (PSP)
Prince of Persia - 282k (360), 248k (PS3)
Pure - 158k (360) 92k (PS3)
Rock Band 1 - 1.65M (360) 648k (PS3) 1.03M (Wii)
Rock Band 2 - 1.02M (360) 384k (PS3) 353k (Wii)
Saints Row 2 - 480k (360), 188k (PS3)
Saints Row 2 [Collector's Edition only] - 30k (360), 11k (PS3)
Shaun White - 271k (360), 141k (PS3), 537k (Wii)
Silent Hill 5 - 73k (360), 84k (PS3)
Silent Hill Origins: 80k (PS2), 154k (PSP)
Skate - 606k (360) 202k (PS3)
Sonic Unleashed - 113k (360), 69k (PS3), 315k (Wii)
Soul Calibur 4 - 500k (360), 353k (PS3)
Space Invaders Extreme - 58k (DS), 34k (PSP)
Star Wars Force Unleashed - 823k (360) 464k (PS3) 626k (Wii) 175k (DS) 263k (PSP) 352k (PS2)
Tiger Woods 09 - 216k (360), 174k (PS3), 565k (Wii)
Unreal Tournament III - 164k (360) 219k (PS3)
The World Ends With You - 172k

Beautiful Katamari - 96k
Banjo: Nuts & Bolts - 154k
Battle Fantasia - 4,704
Blue Dragon - 189k
Halo 3 - 4.66m (regular), 633k (CE), 479k (LE)
Infinite Undiscovery - 110k
Left 4 Dead - 1.28m
Lips - 46k
Lost Odyssey - 348k
Ninja Gaiden II - 517k
Saints Row 1 - 1.02m
Tales of Vesperia - 107k
The Last Remnant 118k
Viva Pinata 2 - 80k

PS3

Folklore - 109k
Genji: Days of the Blade - 96k
Heavenly Sword - 386k
Lair - 185k
Little Big Planet - 670k
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 1.09m
Motorstorm 1 - 427k
Motorstorm 2 - 138k
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - 316k
Rachet & Clank: Tools of Destruction - 427k
Resistance - 1.07m
Resistance 2 - 640k
Time Crisis 4 - 206k
Uncharted - 534k
Valkyria Chronicles - 74k

Wii

Animal Crossing - 654k (game only), 161k (Wiispeak bundle)
Blast Works - 31k
Castle Shikigami 3 - 7,366
Fantastic 4 - 76k
Mario & Sonic @ at the Olympics - 1.99m
No More Heroes - 208k
Ultimate Duck Hunting - 49k
Ultimate Shooting Collection - 1,126
Zack & Wiki - 117k

PS2

Disney Golf - 59k
Final Fantasy X - 2.46m
Final Fantasy XII - 1.85m
Katamari Damacy - 450k
Kingdom Hearts 1 - 3.28m
Kingdom Hearts 2 - 2.3m
Kingdom Hearts: RE:Chain of Memories - 312k
Marvel vs Capcom 2 - 246k
Odin Sphere - 149k
Persona 4 - 123k
SMT: Devil Summoner - 43k
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 - 51k
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 2 - 43k
SMT: Nocturne - 60k
Silent Hill 2 - 512k
Silent Hill 3 - 279k
Silent Hill 4 - 209k
We Love Katamari - 230k
Yakuza 1 - 56k
Yakuza 2 - 24k

PSP

Crisis Core: FF7 - 708k
Patapon - 229k
God of War: Chains of Olympus - 640k
Star Ocean: First Departure - 69k
Yggdra Union - 12k

DS

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - 71k
Chrono Trigger - 210k
Contra 4 - 115k
Dragon Quest 4 - 76k
Final Fantasy 4 - 275k
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - 233k
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - 117k
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All - 110k
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations - 92k
Professor Layton & the Curious Village - 340k
Trauma Center: Under the Knife - 225k
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 - 61k

MyCoach Series
Word - 263k
Spanish - 224k
Japanese - 90k
French - 83k
Weight - 76k
Chinese - 34k
SAT - 25k
Smoking - 3k
source

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Assuming those numbers are correct, GHWT's ~1 million unit lead over RB2 is due solely to the Wii version. GG Harmonix.

Also, RB2 and GHWT have had massive declines over their predecessors. Music game fad am dead.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Motorstrom II bombed if true.
Nice Shaun White Wii Sales.

Silent Hill Origins Y Silent Hill 5. Now we know why we'll get the Remake for Wii/PSP.

I'd like to know how much Afro Samurai sold. I think that would be a much fairer comparison to games like MadWorld. Expecting MadWorld to sell at a rates similar to Bioshock or Call of Duty is idiotic.

markatisu

Those would have to be LTD as of Jan 1st and not including Jan NPD totals

Because GHWT on Wii is ~1.8m (1.799m to be exact) as of 3/1/2009 LTD

And if those sales are accurate then this shows how many people are missing the boat, they seem on par with what we know from Nov and Dec NPD for Shaun White, GHWT and what EA has said about Tiger Woods

Lego Indiana Jones - 241k (360), 142k (PS3), 456k (Wii)

Compared to the PS3, the Wii sold better

Star Wars Force Unleashed - 823k (360) 464k (PS3) 626k (Wii) 175k (DS) 263k (PSP) 352k (PS2)

dolemite

markatisu said:

Looks like it, 'cause Halo 3 is now at 5.9 million and these add up to 5.8 million only.

Narcosis

So, of those numbers are true, what exactly is the factor that makes some multiplatform games on PS3/360 sell at a 2-1 ratio of 360 over pS3 version while others are much, much closer?
It's hard to figure out really. On one hand a person could say it's a certain "Playstation legacy" for things like Street Fighter or Silent hill, but could it just be marketing (ala Unreal 3)? Very interesting indeed.

Ninja Gaiden 2 sold 520k? Are you shitting me?

So, of those numbers are true, what exactly is the factor that makes some multiplatform games on PS3/360 sell at a 2-1 ratio of 360 over pS3 version while others are much, much closer?
It's hard to figure out really. On one hand a person could say it's a certain "Playstation legacy" for things like Street Fighter or Silent hill, but could it just be marketing (ala Unreal 3)? Very interesting indeed.
I don't think legacy has anything to do with it. Blockbusters will get a boost from the player base, AAA games will appeal about equally, and third stringers will get a boost from the base.

markatisu

Son of Godzilla said:
Ninja Gaiden 2 sold 520k? Are you shitting me?

Sounds about right, June 2008 NPD : Ninja Gaiden II (Xbox 360, Tecmo/MGS) - 372.7K

Then it dropped off the charts never to be seen again

cw_sasuke

markatisu said:

And if those sales are accurate then this shows how many people are missing the boat, they seem on par with what we know from Nov and Dec NPD for Shaun White, GHWT and what EA has said about Tiger Woods

Lego Indiana Jones - 241k (360), 142k (PS3), 456k (Wii)

Compared to the PS3, the Wii sold better

But those games all don't have a Z at the end ? So did Pete Wanta lie ? Im so confused ...

GhaleonEB

Some corroborating evidence: Didn't NPD say as of the end of February Wii Fit had outsold Halo 3, with 5.9m units? The three SKUs for Halo 3 total 5.772m above. It cracked the top 20 in February, so moving ~200k units in January and February sounds reasonable given the retail legs the series has always had.

Quite the motherlode of data there.

markatisu said:
Sounds about right, June 2008 NPD : Ninja Gaiden II (Xbox 360, Tecmo/MGS) - 372.7K

Then it dropped off the charts never to be seen again
Ah okay. I assumed it showed up in June, just didn't think it did nearly that well.

Alcibiades

If those numbers are true, 3rd party traditional games are making a killing on Wii... seems like anytime a major PS3/360/PC game doesn't have a Wii version there is just so much money being left at the table.

Then again these numbers might be BS.

markatisu

GhaleonEB said:
Some corroborating evidence: Didn't NPD say as of the end of February Wii Fit had outsold Halo 3, with 5.9m units? That data has Halo 3 at 5.772m, which sounds about right since it cracked the top 20 in February; moving ~220k units in January and February sounds reasonable given the retail legs the series has always had.

Yes and the GHWT would also line up if you add in the Jan and Feb numbers to their total of 1.3m, same with Shaun White from what we know of Nov NPD PR release from Ubisoft, the december charting position of the game, and the IGN leak during their podcast of it being around the 450-500k area before the end of the year

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
With only one exception, multiplatform games on the list that had versions on all current-gen systems sold better on Wii than on PS3.

The only exception is Rock Band 2, which was released two months after the PS3 version and was still within 30k.

In 7 out of 10 instances on the list, the Wii version outsold the 360 version as well.

In 6 of those instances, the Wii version sold more than (or was tied with) the 360 and PS3 versions COMBINED.

I think the lesson we can take from this is that the Wii sells no games, and it's not worth making a Wii version of your multiplatform title.

bucklam66

The sad part of this whole discussion is, that NPD numbers are estimates, that until quarterly financial reports come out, no one knows the truth, (even then shipped or sold, hmph, who knows!!)

I mean according to the intronet encyclopedia the music industry figured this out 18 yrs. ago:

Nielsen SoundScan began tracking sales data for Nielsen on March 1, 1991.[citation needed] The May 25 issue of Billboard published Billboard 200 and Country Music charts based on SoundScan "piece count data,"[1][2] and the first Hot 100 chart to debut with the system was released on November 30, 1991. Previously, Billboard tracked sales by calling stores across the U.S. and asking about sales - a method that was inherently error-prone and open to outright fraud.

Could the same error prone fraud be prevalent in our current method? Probably.

It is hard to say how much a game sold until a company gets back unsold copies. which could be years with the current method.

It is laughable that a so-called 'high-tech' industry relies on estimates

cw_sasuke

GhaleonEB said:
Some corroborating evidence: Didn't NPD say as of the end of February Wii Fit had outsold Halo 3, with 5.9m units? The three SKUs for Halo 3 total 5.772m above. It cracked the top 20 in February, so moving ~200k units in January and February sounds reasonable given the retail legs the series has always had.

Yep, nice info.... still i would love to know how much ToS2 sold on wii :D

markatisu

bucklam66 said:
It is hard to say how much a game sold until a company gets back unsold copies. which could be years with the current method.

As far as I know video game companies dont ever get unsold copies back, they sell to retail and if it bombs its on the retailer to take the loss

dolemite

bucklam66 said:
The sad part of this whole discussion is, that NPD numbers are estimates, that until quarterly financial reports come out, no one knows the truth, (even then shipped or sold, hmph, who knows!!)

I mean according to the intronet encyclopedia the music industry figured this out 18 yrs. ago:

Nielsen SoundScan began tracking sales data for Nielsen on March 1, 1991.[citation needed] The May 25 issue of Billboard published Billboard 200 and Country Music charts based on SoundScan "piece count data,"[1][2] and the first Hot 100 chart to debut with the system was released on November 30, 1991. Previously, Billboard tracked sales by calling stores across the U.S. and asking about sales - a method that was inherently error-prone and open to outright fraud.

Could the same error prone fraud be prevalent in our current method? Probably.

NPD is 60% data and 40% estimate, not 100% estimate. And they also track numbers that are sold to consumers, not shipped to stores.

Alcibiades

I wonder whether struggling 3rd parties are looking back and regretting to setting up shop on Wii with comparable budgets to the other systems when looking at numbers for these non-Wii releases:

Assassin’s Creed - (360), (PS3)
Bioshock - (360), (PS3)
The Bourne Conspiracy - (360), (PS3)
Burnout Paradise - (360) (PS3)
Civilization Revolution - (DS), (360), (PS3)
The Darkness - (360), (PS3)
Dark Sector - (360), (PS3)
Dead Space - (360), (PS3)
Dynasty Warriors 6 - (360), (PS3), (PS2)
Eternal Sonata - (360), (PS3)
Fallout 3 - (360), (PS3)
Fight Night 3 - (360) (PS3)

These got anywhere from "crappy" to "great" sales, but if high-budget, near-identical ports were made we might be seeing the COD3 phenomenon where a Wii version sold comparable to the PS3 version and not so many studio shutdowns would be happening. I'm sure 3rd parties would not have minded the revenue.

Hopefully World at War was just the beginning and not the end of getting decent, if not spectacular, ports of blockbuster games from 360/PS3 on Wii from now on.

EDIT:

removed #'s just in case, but either way the point of the post has nothing to do with what these games sold (so the numbers were irrelevant anyway), but what they didn't sell because they were left off a platform (Wii) in which 3rd party sales have prospered...

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Sean said:
Motorstorm 2's LTD (138k) is less than the first month sales of the original (199k). Ouch.

I just don't get this really I don't, MS2 is such a good game and improves upon the original in leaps and bounds, when I see figures like this I just want to ring PS3 users around the neck, their purchasing habits seem so strange.

bucklam66

markatisu said:
As far as I know video game companies dont ever get unsold copies back, they sell to retail and if it bombs its on the retailer to take the loss

I do not know all the details, you are probably right, still; what excuse is their for the current method of data collection other than the fact no one has cared until now, i guess.

The current method does not tell anyone anything other than top ten sales. that is all so all of the arguing over what sold over a period of time without a good amount of research is useless.

markatisu

bucklam66 said:
I do not know all the details, you are probably right, still; what excuse is their for the current method of data collection other than the fact no one has cared until now, i guess.

The current method does not tell anyone anything other than top ten sales. that is all so all of the arguing over what sold over a period of time without a good amount of research is useless.

The current method only reveals the Top 10 due to legal reasons, they chart at least the Top 100
but its only available to subscribers

When companies reveal their quarterly reports they are usually in line with what NPD, Chart Track in the EU and Media-Create/Famitsu report in JP

Its not like they are supremely wild guesses

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Smokey said:
holy crap at the numbers listed

some games bombed..HARD.

Lets not forget that these are only 'NA' numbers before we get carried away, I think some of the games that bombed hard in NA may have done 'OK' in terms of WW sales.

markatisu

lowrider007 said:
Lets not forget that these are only 'NA' numbers before we get carried away, I think some of the game that bombed hard in NA may have done 'OK' in terms of WW sales.

OK so it would be
holy crap at the numbers listed

some games bombed..HARD in the US
Of course keeping in mind these numbers might be BS.

Are you going to preface every post with that, we all know they are suspect but they do line up more often than not with the hard numbers we have received.

Its also an odd list of games, it could be fake but I would imagine if it were there would be some more obvious fakes in there

These are not even close to vgczzzz numbers which is always a good sign of being legit

Alcibiades said:
If those numbers are true, 3rd party traditional games are making a killing on Wii... seems like anytime a major PS3/360/PC game doesn't have a Wii version there is just so much money being left at the table.

Then again these numbers might be BS.
You are basing this off music games + Lego + Shaun White/Sonic?

Top Bottom