• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

AniHawk

Stumpokapow said:
I'm 100% certain all of those are over a million, and if that "7" number is accurate then LSW:TCS must not be... unless the SKU combining is a little screwed up, in which case Rock Band would probably be knocked off... or if botticus is right and they're miscounting Mario and Sonic.

LSW TCS is definitely the next most likely candidate.

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

santouras

Alcibiades said:
here are some "obvious" ones:

World Tour
Rock Band
Guitar Hero 3
Mario & Sonic

I don't think Red Steel and RE4 have quite reached that...

also I'm guessing Lego Star Wars is there...
I'm pretty sure red steel passed 1million quite quickly. It was a launch title with a fair bit of hype, a lot of people picked it up

eagerly awaiting the second one

edit: http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/783/783826p1.html was at 950,000 2 years ago

For some reason I'm curious as to what the nine first party million sellers are.

Wii Play
Twilight Princess
Mario Galaxy
Brawl
Mario Kart
Wii Fit
Mario Party 8
Super Paper Mario?
Link's Crossbow?
Animal Crossing?

Also I think there are more than 7 million selling third party Wii games in the US.

VerTiGo

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
For some reason I'm curious as to what the nine first party million sellers are.

Wii Play
Twilight Princess
Mario Galaxy
Brawl
Mario Kart
Wii Fit
Mario Party 8
Super Paper Mario?
Link's Crossbow?
Animal Crossing?

Also I think there are more than 7 million selling third party Wii games in the US.

I think we might be able to add three more once the year is over with EA's Sports Active, Grand Slam and Tiger... they're gonna be huge.

markatisu

VerTiGo said:
I think we might be able to add three more once the year is over with EA's Sports Active, Grand Slam and Tiger... they're gonna be huge.

You will be able to add more than that as the two other Lego games are in the 600-700k range, CoD WaW is heading toward 700-800k, Jillian Fitness along with Rock Band 2 should also come close to 1m or surpass it by the end of the year

VerTiGo

Banned
I think there should be a thread where we try and predict the next third party Wii million sellers. Well, I'll start here for now:

Likely Million Seller Candidates -

Guitar Hero: Metallica (I already noticed on Sunday that tons of Wii copies were being sold and afterall the brand is strongest on Wii.

EA Sports Active, Tiger Woods , Grand Slam Tennis
EA Sports Active is already a Wii top seller at GameStop's website and it looks like a great follow-up and alternative to Wii Fit. EA is most likely to going to market the shit out of it along with its Motion + software, and if EA releases the Motion+ bundle for Grand Slam or Tiger in NA, as they are in the UK, then I expect those games to sell well from the get go, maybe even frontloaded, as opposed to selling well over the course of time.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
I'm honestly expecting to this game being huge on the Wii. Comparitively selling much better than other versions. The Wii's install base is huge and I'm sure there's a good chunk of the Harry Potter demographic that own it and will pick the game up.

Mario & Sonic: Winter GamesOkay, it's currently slated for December at GameStop's site but we all know it's going to be huge, probably even bigger than the Summer Olympics games due to the increase in the console's install base and the crossover brand becoming stronger.

Alcibiades

VerTiGo said:
Guitar Hero: Metallica (I already noticed on Sunday that tons of Wii copies were being sold and afterall the brand is strongest on Wii.
I will LOL if people attribute to soccer moms, elderly and kiddies the success of the Wii version (supposing it eventually sells the best of the 3 versions)... aren't the 18-35 yr. old "core gamer" males that would be into Metallica a larger demographic on the 360/PS3?

Rikyfree said:
TheFatOne said:
I am now convinced Sony will never have a blockbuster game like Halo.
It has that kind of game, it just isn't selling as well.

Do you know what "a blockbuster game" means? If its not selling as well, then they don't have that kind of game.

And believe me, despite the outpouring of love because of its graphical prowess, it doesn't hold a candle to Halo's longevity.

VerTiGo

Banned
Alcibiades said:
I will LOL if people attribute to soccer moms, elderly and kiddies the success of the Wii version (supposing it eventually sells the best of the 3 versions)... aren't the 18-35 yr. old "core gamer" males that would be into Metallica a larger demographic on the 360/PS3?

GH3 and World Tour both feature heavy music. I don't believe the Metallica demographic being larger on PS360 is a good argument at all.

Zachack

pakkit said:
Psst.

I know, I know.
This should be good.
GH3 and World Tour both feature heavy music. I don't believe the Metallica demographic being larger on PS360 is a good argument at all.
GH:M will likely have depressed sales across the board due to genre fatigue, perceived difficulty, and the simple fact that metal is far less popular than... pop(ular) music, which GHWT and (to a lesser extent) GH3 had lots of. Also, the commercial will make the Blue Ocean feel old and unhappy when they see how Lars and Kirk look (Kirk looks like he's morphing into Carlos Santana).

Rolf NB

Alcibiades said:
I think a part of what makes the guitar games so successful on the Wii is that they come with their own controllers.

I know Wii-only guys don't like to hear it, but I think most who'd be interested in Wii core games have come to avoid them because of well-established control problems. I.e. you tell me that I have to shake my controller to attack, done, all excitement destroyed; it doesn't even matter anymore how awesome your game looks.

This is one of the reasons why I expect The Conduit to pull much bigger numbers than Madworld (3x first month was my prediction). It's in a genre that works great on the Wii and actually benefits from the controller.

I also expect Oboromuramasa to turn out more successful than Madworld, if we ever get sales numbers for either. Classic controller support ftw.

Parl

Zachack said:
This should be good.

GH:M will likely have depressed sales across the board due to genre fatigue, perceived difficulty, and the simple fact that metal is far less popular than... pop(ular) music, which GHWT and (to a lesser extent) GH3 had lots of. Also, the commercial will make the Blue Ocean feel old and unhappy when they see how Lars and Kirk look (Kirk looks like he's morphing into Carlos Santana).
Metallica have sold over 100 million albums worldwide, so they're not that unpopular among some parts of the mainstream. I see where you're coming from with with some fringes of what you're saying though.

pakkit

Banned
bcn-ron said:
This is one of the reasons why I expect The Conduit to pull much bigger numbers than Madworld (3x first month was my prediction). It's in a genre that works great on the Wii and actually benefits from the controller.

You know, I totally agr--

bcn-ron said:
I also expect Oboromuramasa to turn out more successful than Madworld, if we ever get sales numbers for either. Classic controller support ftw.

Nevermind.

boiled goose

good with gravy
bcn-ron said:
I think a part of what makes the guitar games so successful on the Wii is that they come with their own controllers.

I know Wii-only guys don't like to hear it, but I think most who'd be interested in Wii core games have come to avoid them because of well-established control problems. I.e. you tell me that I have to shake my controller to attack, done, all excitement destroyed; it doesn't even matter anymore how awesome your game looks.

nice try but not really...
music games are successful on wii for two reasons:
1. broad appealing
2. fun to play with other people

donny2112

Aquanox said:
No March prediction thread?

NPD Coverage: March 1 - April 4
NPD Release: April 16 @ 4 p.m. EDT (thread posted ~6:30 p.m. EDT)

The prediction thread will be posted on Sunday. 4 days of PS2 @ $99. DSi launch not included.

Aquanox

Thank you =)

It's gonna be an extremely interesting month with the release of RE5, Halo Wars, Pokemon Platinum and Killzone 2 tail.

donny2112 said:
NPD Coverage: March 1 - April 4
NPD Release: April 16 @ 4 p.m. EDT (thread posted ~6:30 p.m. EDT)

The prediction thread will be posted on Sunday. 4 days of PS2 @ $99. DSi launch not included.

That's 5 weeks. If the Wii can keep up the same weekly sales that should mean over 940k for the Wii, correct?

Is it too early to start a 1M Wii sales hype train?

Top Bottom