• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

WillyFive

HAL_Laboratory said:
The same people who bought them the first time.

I know it's a joke, and it did happen to many people I know, but both the Wii and PS2 (especially the Wii) appeal more to people who aren't gamers.

Willy105 said:
I know it's a joke, and it did happen to many people I know, but both the Wii and PS2 (especially the Wii) appeal more to people who aren't gamers.
This is true.

Yeah and obviously I'm kidding about Nintendo's sales; they still have a looooong way to go to even reach PS2's numbers. Wii does appear to be losing steam in NA at this time.

donny2112

HAL_Laboratory said:
Yeah and obviously I'm kidding about Nintendo's sales; they still have a looooong way to go to even reach PS2's numbers. Wii does appear to be losing steam in NA at this time.

It outsold PS2's February 2004 by 10%, and I think it's something like 5-6 million ahead of PS2's pace already. Just saying.

donny2112 said:
It outsold PS2's February 2004 by 10%, and I think it's something like 5-6 million ahead of PS2's pace already. Just saying.
Interesting. Unfortunately I doubt the Wii will have the lasting power of PS2 in the long run, if only because the majority of the world will have adopted HD content exclusively within the next few years. Time will tell.

DMeisterJ

Banned
GoW: Collection in the top 20 is very nice, especially for the games to be 3 and 5 years old, respectively. Goes to show what HD visuals, Trophies, and a nice 30 dollar price point can get people to buy PS2 games yet again. Do you hear me Konami/Capcom?

I would buy MGS 1-3, DMC 1-3, and Resident Evil 4 all again if they were in HD with trophies. Ooh, how about Resident Evil 4 for Move? Do it Capcom!

hxa155

palpabl_purpura said:
I own a PS3, but I'm glad to see 360 and Wii doing well. The more even the competition, the better it is for gamers.

They all did well in Feb, even the PS3. 360k is pretty good for the PS3.

hxa155

DMeisterJ said:
GoW: Collection in the top 20 is very nice, especially for the games to be 3 and 5 years old, respectively. Goes to show what HD visuals, Trophies, and a nice 30 dollar price point can get people to buy PS2 games yet again. Do you hear me Konami/Capcom?

I would buy MGS 1-3, DMC 1-3, and Resident Evil 4 all again if they were in HD with trophies. Ooh, how about Resident Evil 4 for Move? Do it Capcom!

Oh Sony is definitely doing another collection. I hope 3rd party publishers see the potential as well.

donny2112

HAL_Laboratory said:
if only because the majority of the world will have adopted HD content exclusively within the next few years.

You're bringing up the "Wii's graphics will look dated, and they'll want to upgrade to an HD system" reasoning? Seriously?

Cornbread78

hxa155 said:
They all did well in Feb, even the PS3. 360k is pretty good for the PS3.

If PS3 could could actually keep themselves in stock, those numberswould have been much higher, when in stock, we sell move of those about 3-1 over XBox.

kswiston

donny2112 said:
You're bringing up the "Wii's graphics will look dated, and they'll want to upgrade to an HD system" reasoning? Seriously?

The only thing I could see stopping the Wii from overtaking the PS2 worldwide (Or at least in NA, not sure how the numbers look in Europe, and it won't happen in Japan) is if Nintendo releases a followup console in 2012 (or earlier). Unlike Sony, Nintendo drops support for their older consoles pretty quickly. They won't have both on the market concurrently for 4+ years.

RBH

Jtyettis said:
Make that 12 for Bioshock 2 PS3 then;

10cj4hz.png

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ens_vs_Predator_Jump_Into_February_Top_20.php
New Super Mario Bros DS and Mario Kart DS will NEVER die! :lol

Yoboman

So where is GoW Collection LTD sitting at roughly?

I remember they did an ICO re-release when SotC came out. I think this sort of think is right up Team ICO's alley

Yoboman

DMeisterJ said:

lol MGS1 in HD?

Frankly a lot of games wouldn't work in HD. GoW Collection worked cause the games looked so clean originally. A lot of those products would require complete reworking

Of course MGS1 could use Twin Snakes assets? I dunno the legal implications of that though

ZAK

HAL_Laboratory said:
Interesting. Unfortunately I doubt the Wii will have the lasting power of PS2 in the long run, if only because the majority of the world will have adopted HD content exclusively within the next few years. Time will tell.
Content will be HD, sure, but do you really believe everyone will care all that much?

Cornbread78 said:
If PS3 could could actually keep themselves in stock, those numberswould have been much higher, when in stock, we sell move of those about 3-1 over XBox.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda... we won't know until Sony gets off their asses and ships unit to retail. Anything *could* have happened but these numbers are what did happen.

Struct09 said:

He doesn't count though, he's the same person who says that GoW is a bigger franchise than GT. So there is a screw loose in there somewhere.

donny2112

kswiston said:
The only thing I could see stopping the Wii from overtaking the PS2 worldwide (Or at least in NA, not sure how the numbers look in Europe, and it won't happen in Japan) is if Nintendo releases a followup console in 2012 (or earlier). Unlike Sony, Nintendo drops support for their older consoles pretty quickly. They won't have both on the market concurrently for 4+ years.

For U.S.+Japan, PS2 was at 37.4m at the end of February 2004. For U.S.+Japan, Wii is at 38.0m at the end of February 2010. In other words, the U.S. overperformance for the Wii is compensating for the Wii underperformance in Japan. Therefore, the only difference would be Europe. I know that Wii's done really well over there, but I don't know how it's compared to PS2 in an equivalent time period.

As the myth of last generation has been disproved this generation, install base doesn't guarantee software support, though, so outpacing PS2 hardware doesn't really mean so much.

Super late commenting but our gal Anita isn't actually providing any analysis whatsoever. She's merely comparing the period to prevoius years. I get people paying for the raw info but for people to dumb it down for them?

Cornbread78 said:

The PS3 is in short supply so when it is in stock it is going to be moved more quickly due to pent up demand. This doesn't mean that if they were always in stock they would keep selling at the same rate. There is no way that if Sony had shipped a million consoles they would have sold them, which is basically what your post would imply.

The fact that there is a shortage indicates that Sony could have sold more than they did but how much more is pretty much impossible to work out. Maybe they would have topped out at 400K or 500K, who knows.

I don't mind people acknowledging the shortage as it obviously has effected the sales of the PS3 and wii. However i don't think you can then jump to the conclusion that both would have sold a shitload more without the shortage as we really don't know that (maybe with the wii we do:p).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
After the Success of GoW Collection. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make others. Nor if it was only behind Resistance and Uncharted 2 in NA.

Kintaro said:
They're also consumers Nintendo does not care about.

This (like your entire argument here) is just more magical fanboy thinking. "Nintendo have it all figured out -- so if they do something, it can't just be that they've made a poor choice or were unable to take advantage of an opportunity due to incorrect priorities or misapplied skill -- no, it must be that they figured something out no one else in the industry has ever been smart enough to see." Ridiculous.

If we assume that Nintendo are, y'know, interested in actually running their business correctly, there is no remotely sensible or legitimate justification for not being interested in the money of people who want to spend less than $50 on games. It's not like these people aren't going to buy the hardware (because Nintendo priced their hardware democratically, not exclusively) and it's not like they aren't going to spend their money on $20 games -- they'll just buy bad third-party junk used. There is literally no way in which this benefits Nintendo more than selling these people good first-party games at $20 a pop would.

Remember, Nintendo is copying Apple here.

Right, that's why Nintendo sell their hardware at a premium and why their online store put an emphasis on a long-tail collection with as much content as possible released upfront... waaaaaaait.

Vizion28 said:
Games like Smash Bros. and Galaxy

Literally nobody except you is talking about doing this to games that are still selling. This conversation is about the quality first-party games like Fire Emblem, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, etc. that are literally selling zero copies a month.

DMeisterJ said:
GoW: Collection in the top 20 is very nice, especially for the games to be 3 and 5 years old, respectively. Goes to show what HD visuals, Trophies, and a nice 30 dollar price point can get people to buy PS2 games yet again.

facepalm.gif

Aselith

I thought Dante's Inferno was going to be a huge failure qualitywise but from playing the demo it actually seems pretty damn solid so I'm happy to see it do well. Good job, Visceral. And wow at Bioshock 2! Very nice numbers on that.

Neo C.

Celine said:
It's known that Nintendo is heavily conservative and geared towards short terms profits even at the cost to damage potential long term gains.
If Nintendo hasn't released a Player Choice line on DS or Wii is because they believe it isn't worth it.
Wait what? If anything, Player's Choice lines are more short term profit oriented than fixing the price on a high level. Especially when Nintendo makes a Player's Choice line with first party titles, third parties won't sell anything!

The only thing I really appreciate is a Player's Choice line exclusively with third party titles, like the line they recently have in Japan. I'd like to see this strategy more often and world wide.

Aselith said:
I thought Dante's Inferno was going to be a huge failure qualitywise but from playing the demo it actually seems pretty damn solid so I'm happy to see it do well. Good job, Visceral. And wow at Bioshock 2! Very nice numbers on that.

Dante's Inferno has something pretty important in my book, which is a solid combat engine. I looked forward to every next fight during my playthrough ....I honestly couldn't say the same for GoW Collection

Vizion28

Banned
Sohter.Nura said:
WELP, that explains why Nintendo is delivering such heavy hitters in such a small time this year. They really need another Wii Fit or Mario Kart, because otherwise the XBOX360 and PS3 will really pass them this year.

360 and PS3 will pass the Wii are you serious?

I figure Nintendo is releasing big games this summer, which is the slowest time of the year, to keep the momentum in sales going so they won't have to do another price cut.

Vizion28

Banned
Wow, I noticed 5 Mario games in the top 20. He is one popular plumber.

Nintendo, hurry up and release Mario Party Wii, Galaxy 2 and maybe you can have 7 games in the top 20.

soldat7

RBH said:
New Super Mario Bros DS and Mario Kart DS will NEVER die! :lol

They're two of the go-to games for new DS owners. Since there's so many of those each month, it stands to reason that these will be pretty high every month.

Zen

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Dante's Inferno has something pretty important in my book, which is a solid combat engine. I looked forward to every next fight during my playthrough ....I honestly couldn't say the same for GoW Collection

It's like a near exact replica of the God of War combat engine!

Haunted

OldJadedGamer said:
He doesn't count though, he's the same person who says that GoW is a bigger franchise than GT. So there is a screw loose in there somewhere.
Eh, just a misguided person who transfers his personal feelings on the facts.

God of War resonates more with him as the core gamer = GoW has got to be the bigger franchise.

about this Wii best/player's choice rerelases, i think Nintendo will release them at the near end of the Wii life, or a year before the Wii 2 get released.

There is no reason for them not releasing them, man i remeber it took me 3 freaking months looking for a copy of Fire Emblem, it was sooo hard to find!!

andymcc

Banned
AgentOtaku said:

judging by your logic here, we could say Bayonetta deserves to outsell GOW and Dante's Inferno combined.

Top Bottom