• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2012 [Up 3: Kingdoms Of Amalur, Syndicate, Asura]

02. Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3, 360)** Square Enix Inc.
04. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
Even though Amalur is a new IP, I expected it to do better than XIII-2. I suppose the public derision of XIII was overblown.

EDIT: Or sales are just super low for everyone...

Kazerei

Banned
Unless you compare it to last year's February, of course.

January was worse, I think. But yeah, it's still looking kinda bad. Wii is absolutely dead.

Code:
      Feb 2011 Feb 2012 Change
X360  535k     426k     -20%
Wii   454k     228k     -50%
PS3   403k     360k     -11%

EDIT: Damnit, I hit post too soon. S'cuse me as I format this properly...

For some perspective, MW3 did 386,000 in total sales across all SKUs in January. It's hard to fathom that number going up considerably in February and yet it still finished first.

That portends to extremely poor numbers for XIII-2 compared to FF13's 1.32 million in sales to debut in March 2010.

Wow that would be MAJOR bombage for XIII-2...MAJOR.

Good games do that. 360 has already won the mind share but PS3 has been much more consistent with the SW. At least their exclusives but we all should know that situation by now. I suspect if they had price parity right with 360, we would be seeing similar numbers to 360. Good for PS3 and 360 though. They are the two best systems and they should be up there.

I'm pretty sure that if you go by their ASP's the PS3 already does nearly have price parity with the 360.

Kusagari

No RE:R is understandable with that TM number. I think expecting it to do over 200k first month was a bit too much.

REvelations bombing in Europe and US.
The 3ds only has a 4.5m userbase, a fraction of which will be the kind to be interested in Re:R over other titles. It was a big ask expecting it to chart top 10...

Hopefully it pulled reasonable numbers. It deserves good legs / word of mouth.

For some perspective, MW3 did 386,000 in total sales across all SKUs in January. It's hard to fathom that number going up considerably in February and yet it still finished first.

That portends to extremely poor numbers for XIII-2 compared to FF13's 1.32 million in sales to debut in March 2010.

Hmm good point on MW3. If #9 is 221K, and the leader this month sold 386K this month, I would assume the overall top 10 sales this month are probably very, very tight between 200K and possibly 500K.

Petrae

All Nintendo hardware increased? I can understand 3DS, but why Wii or DS?

I believe it's a result of more software hitting stores plus tax refund availability to fuel spending. Get consumers to actually visit stores, and they might spend money... even on dead/dying platforms (cheaper software?).

Cipherr

nearly half a million 360s? is that good?

Thats better than Good. In fact Im a little shocked at how well the console all did this month. I can understand why 360 and PS3 are doing well. Wii on the other hand should really be tanking tanking TANKING by now. As in 130k or 100k.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nice Twisted Metal.
This gives me also hope for Revelations at 200k ( it'll probably be more at 150k, like the first month of RE4 Wii Edition )

UberTag

No RE:R is pretty damn disappointing.
NPD was attempting to track sales of RE: Revelations.
Naturally all of those sales for RE: Revelaitons didn't count towards anything.

I'm inclined to think that titles 1-8 on this chart all sold between 225-400K with minimal gaps between them.
FFXIII-2 PS3 was probably the #1 overall SKU on the individual chart. Either that or Just Dance 3 Wii.

EDIT: Wow, TM was #2 on the Single SKU chart? That pushes FFXIII-2 into ultra-bomba territory.

I expect Revelations to be one of those Nintendo third party slow burners. It wouldn't surprise me if sales hit 500k or even more some time later this year.

An opening of 100k with a long tail works out okay too. Capcom execs are probably complaining as we speak though. :p

kadotsu

Banned
Thats better than Good. In fact Im a little shocked at how well the console all did this month. I can understand why 360 and PS3 are doing well. Wii on the other hand should really be tanking tanking TANKING by now. As in 130k or 100k.

Not really. Sony and MS are selling almost exactly as much as they did in 2010 at higher prices. I think a modest price drop for both should be a given in the next 6 months.

Kusagari

Going off how MS worded their PR, I think that KoA 360 outsold MW3 360. FF13 360 also wasn't even in the top 10 SKU of the month.

That means the likely top 3 for this month are:
1. FF13 PS3
2. KoA 360
3. MW3 360

Good games do that. 360 has already won the mind share but PS3 has been much more consistent with the SW. At least their exclusives but we all should know that situation by now. I suspect if they had price parity right with 360, we would be seeing similar numbers to 360. Good for PS3 and 360 though. They are the two best systems and they should be up there.
That's convenient. 360 only sells because of mindshare, but PS3 sells because of good software.
And BTW, the 360 average price sold is HIGHER than the PS3s so not only does the 360 have more "mindshare" as you put it, people are also willing to pay higher prices for it.

So now what's your reason for 360 selling more?
The entry price is lower on a 360 though with the way MSFT does their SKU's.
Why does the entry price point matter when literally far more people are buying the much more expensive SKU. so many infact that the average price sold becomes around $305...which is higher than the PS3's average selling price.

You're point about the PS3 selling more than the 360 if there was price parity doesn't hold up.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ha. Vita software was a big hit, it seems. Totally cratered.
In comparison, the 3DS only had one title in the Top 10 in it's launch month. And this game most likely charted because it was multiplatform released on 7 different platforms (Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)).

Thrilled that THQ has another potential money maker with UFC, should help buy some time for Darksiders 2.

Also happy to see Reckoning in the top 5. Fantastic game.

EDIT: Aw fuck, forgot about The Darkness 2.

MS said Xbox 360 had 5 of the top 10 and mentioned 5 games but not FFXIII-2

So can we say that the Xbox 360 version of FFXIII-2 didn't even make the "Platform wise sku" Top 10?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And? That doesn't mean much if the average selling price for each console is about the same, in fact i would assume that is taken into account.

It is what it is. I think you're old enough to know what I meant. Price matters more now. If it was the SW, PS3 would be winning considering it's had a much more consistent string of exclusives that are of quality than MSFT.

Not that I've been a heavy PS3 consumer the last year as I haven't bought a day 1 game in at least 6 months. Tales of Graces f will change that.

That's convenient. 360 only sells because of mindshare, but PS3 sells because of good software.
And BTW, the 360 average price sold is HIGHER than the PS3s so not only does the 360 have more "mindshare" as you put it, people are also willing to pay higher prices for it.

So now what's your reason for 360 selling more?

Pirce. Why wouldn't it in this economic climate? Plus it's catalog of games and services speaks for itself.

In all fairness if there's anything we can judge from the PAL charts, it didn't do too well in Europe either. I wonder how much they shipped, given that the game's been hard to find where I live.
I'm arguing that I did gangbusters in Europe. If/when we get individual platform lists, we should have a better idea of how it performed.

If it lists over the Marios, we know it at least debuted over 100k.

January was worse, I think. But yeah, it's still looking kinda bad. Wii is absolutely dead.

Code:
      Feb 2011 Feb 2012 Change
X360  535k     426k     -20%
Wii   454k     228k     -50%
PS3   403k     360k     -11%

EDIT: Damnit, I hit post too soon. S'cuse me as I format this properly...

Format aside:p This continues to show the generation is reaching maturity in this life cycle and a refresh is the correct way forward.

Seda

We know that TM did 221k. So neither FF SKU could have sold more than that, meaning FF didn't sell more than 440k. Ouch.

What?

If CoD sold 5 billion units and FFXIII-2 sold 4 billion units they'd be in the same spot they are now.

Obviously I'm exaggerating, but this sorta illustrates why not having numbers sucks.

TM was number 2 in the individual sku chart so neither version of XIII-2 could have outsold it.

Ah missed that.

Top Bottom