• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

I think there is still a future for dedicated hardware, much like there is still a market for point and shoot cameras, Mp3 players and the like.

However there is only room for one player and that player either has to go extremely high end or extremely low end, with extensive and diverse software support.

Sony doesn't care enough but Nintendo are too concerned with profit margins/value of IP at the low end and are too techically incompetent at the High end.

whatever happens, the days of the GBA/NDS are well and truly over.

iori9999

Banned
I still appreciate those Pokemon sales.. Hope the series never dies.. Granted I hope they keep making good changes as the series progresses..

Metallix87

Whose assumption does the available data support best?
Mine, surprisingly. DS was clearly an anomaly, but 3DS is still selling very well and is on-track to tromp the GBA in sales. Unfortunately, as I've said, pricing and content are major hurdles it still needs to overcome, and fast, but it's clear handhelds are here to stay.

Wow, you know, if MS comes out with a Kinect-free SKU at $100 less, they could actually win North America.

I'm still annoyed at the power disparity but I have to give them props.

Mine, surprisingly. DS was clearly an anomaly, but 3DS is still selling very well and is on-track to tromp the GBA in sales. Unfortunately, as I've said, pricing and content are major hurdles it still needs to overcome, and fast, but it's clear handhelds are here to stay.

Ok. But Nintendo is losing money, and has done so for nearly 3 years. Pokémon, Animal Crossing, 2D and 3D Mario, and Mario Kart are out. Lowering the prices lowers profits even further. Despite sales, something is not working. I don't see where you are coming from with this.

Wow, you know, if MS comes out with a Kinect-free SKU at $100 less, they could actually win North America.

I'm still annoyed at the power disparity but I have to give them props.

$349 if the remove the free game too.

QoL is a robot.

QoLbot. You read it here first.

Medibot?
3420933163_11cb3116e1.jpg

MEDIBOT

As big as it is, PSV was dead the moment it was decided it was not to be a smartphone-console.

nah, it was dead when Sony decided not to fund/moneyhat Vita exclusives, and instead pump in 50 million+ for God of War Ascension.

Just think. 50 million that could have went towards Vita games, instead went for a game nobody really asked for or particularly wanted.

Dragon's Crown took about 1 million, and is fantastic on PS3/Vita. We could have had tons more of those great mid sized AA games.

thank god for Tecmo Koei and Xseed

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I think it's important that the Xbox One keeps a strong momentum this year. Microsoft is definitely in this for the long haul and they have big plans for the platform over its lifetime. It's definitely going to change dramatically, perhaps even moreso than the 360 did.

I think they also desperately need to drop the price by at least $50. Ideally they would match Sony's $399 price, but I understand they aren't willing to sell at a loss this time around. I suspect we will see them drop the price by year end.

Regardless I actually think MSFT has succeeded in their vision for the X1. Their goal was NOT to build a gaming only box. They've said this multiple times, over and over again. The X1 is designed to be a balanced system that can play games, apps, etc (hence the hypervisor OS design). I don't think they need to match the PS4 graphically at all, but they do need to close the gap enough so that the differences are relatively minute for cross platform titles.

Ofcourse Xbone is going to change more than the 360 over its life-time. The 360 was a great product at the right time at the right place. It lacked the hard-core software support over the course of its life but maintained an edge on multi-plat titles.

But their vision is so horribly wrong. Nothing about it is "balanced". That word has never been more falsly attributed to a product. It's lacking in both hardware and integration with common tech (the 50/24hz fiascos). As a next-gen console it might be doing well now but once friends of friends start visiting their friends and seeing the difference between Xbone and PS4 Call of Duty first hand there will be a tough pill to swallow for the people who believe in a parity between the consoles graphically.

And before we actually know how much PS4 can sell without being out of stock everywhere any comparison between the two is guesswork at best. We can say that the Xbone is doing good numbers compared to expectations but anything else is a stab in the dark.

I want good products to succeed but I'm not certain that the Xbone is a good product. Let's wait and see what happens.

Metallix87

Ok. But Nintendo is losing money, and has done so for nearly 3 years. Pokémon, Animal Crossing, 2D and 3D Mario, and Mario Kart are out. Lowering the prices lowers profits even further. Despite sales, something is not working. I don't see where you are coming from with this.
What's not working is the way they've been handling hardware development. Nintendo pushing for a 3D screen, which adds nothing outside of a handful of experiences, was foolish. The same holds true for the Game Pad. This generation is proof that they need to be smarter when developing their hardware in order to keep costs down and keep prices reasonable.

Pyrochaos

Banned
Ofcourse Xbone is going to change more than the 360 over its life-time. The 360 was a great product at the right time at the right place. It lacked the hard-core software support over the course of its life but maintained an edge on multi-plat titles.

But their vision is so horribly wrong. Nothing about it is "balanced". That word has never been more falsly attributed to a product. It's lacking in both hardware and integration with common tech (the 50/24hz fiascos). As a next-gen console it might be doing well now but once friends of friends start visiting their friends and seeing the difference between Xbone and PS4 Call of Duty first hand there will be a tough pill to swallow for the people who believe in a parity between the consoles graphically.

And before we actually know how much PS4 can sell without being out of stock everywhere any comparison between the two is guesswork at best. We can say that the Xbone is doing good numbers compared to expectations but anything else is a stab in the dark.

I want good products to succeed but I'm not certain that the Xbone is a good product. Let's wait and see what happens.

It's hilarious that people think like this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, let's see: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

The 3DS is at 42.74 million shipped.
It has 152.29 million software units shipped.

The GBA is at 81.54 million shipped.
It has 377.42 million software units shipped.

Nintendo's expected total for the 3DS this year is:
Hardware: 13.5 million
Software: 66 million

Even if we assumed it held at 2013 levels for the next three years, which is really unlikely, it would take:
3 years to beat out the GBA's hardware total
Over 3 years to beat out the GBA's software total

When we assume decline, we're probably seeing at least 4 years to top the GBA on either front.

This isn't exactly "tromp"ing the GBA, especially given that the GBA was a short life system.

Biker19

Banned
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/13/ios-8-screenshot-icons/

Better link here: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/31/healthbook-app-ios-8/

Jesus, Apple is going to beat Nintendo to the Health whatever thing. Bad news.

That's what blows my mind about this 'QoL' initiative from Nintendo. That's what Apple's next big thing is. Does Nintendo honestly think that they have what it takes to directly compete with Apple? Or Google? Or Samsung?

What the fuck are they thinking?

Heh guess Nintendo is fucked in QoL business :p.

Yeah this kills me. Healthtech is the definition of a red ocean. And it's not just the big companies. A bunch of fast moving start-ups are circling the same territory and Nintendo just can't move that quick. Even if Nintendo came up with a brilliant idea it would be copied within months by a dozen or low- or no margin companies.

These. Nintendo will be in a lot of trouble if they're trying to go down the health market route.

Selling hardware at a profit out of the gate needs to be their focus for the future. Nintendo can't survive selling at a loss. It sounds very simple but that's how they were able to stay in the game for so long before the Wii and DS. Consoles kept going down in sales, but they were able to make money still.

It sucks saying the dedicated handheld market is collapsing when really it's going back to the pre-DS/PSP days with just Nintendo dominating as usual. The 3DS could be doing better, but it needs another price cut and software knocked down $5-$10. Problem is already losing money on hardware. For the future, no point in Sony making another one, but Nintendo can get away with it. Just has to be a cheap launch of $100-$120, with software at max $30. This might be a little harder to sell at a profit, but I think the tech will get cheaper in a couple years. We'll see.

Metallix87

Even if we assumed it held at 2013 levels for the next three years, which is really unlikely, it would take:

This isn't exactly "tromp"ing the GBA especially given that the GBA was a short life system.
Unfortunately, this is mostly due to pricing and software. Factor in those elements, and the truth is clear. 3DS is still $160 to $200 for all intents and purposes. Kids realize that the $130 2DS is a lesser model. The software is still too expensive, and there's a lot less of it. GBA launched at $99 with games at $29.99, and the support was extremely robust.

nah, it was dead when Sony decided not to fund/moneyhat Vita exclusives, and instead pump in 50 million+ for God of War Ascension.

Just think. 50 million that could have went towards Vita games, instead went for a game nobody really asked for or particularly wanted.

Dragon's Crown took about 1 million, and is fantastic on PS3/Vita. We could have had tons more of those great mid sized AA games.

thank god for Tecmo Koei and Xseed

I'd say the killing blow was the memory cards. If they had gone with SD cards, we'd all have vitas right now. But they wanted 20-$100 more profit, and it killed their console.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Unfortunately, this is mostly due to pricing and software. Factor in those elements, and the truth is clear. 3DS is still $160 to $200 for all intents and purposes. Kids realize that the $130 2DS is a lesser model. The software is still too expensive, and there's a lot less of it. GBA launched at $99 with games at $29.99, and the support was extremely robust.

I don't know how smoothly you think you just transitioned from "tromping" to "the truth is clear," but fundamentally and radically changing pricing and software strategy says far more about the entire model and ecosystem.

I don't think you've demonstrated how the truth is clear at all. If anything, it is clearer than ever that the entire model is being tromped.

Metallix87

I'd say the killing blow was the memory cards. If they had gone with SD cards, we'd all have vitas right now. But they wanted 20-$100 more profit, and it killed their console.
I disagree. The Vita needed to make memory cards 100% optional. That is the biggest hurdle it faced at launch.

I don't know how smoothly you think you just transitioned from "tromping" to "the truth is clear," but fundamentally and radically changing pricing and software strategy says far more about the entire model and ecosystem.

I don't think you've demonstrated how the truth is clear at all. If anything, it is clearer than ever that the entire model is being tromped.
Fine, then I'll leave it at this: I believe that there is no chance handhelds are going away any time soon, if ever. The expanded DS audience moved on to mobile, but the GBA audience will remain when all is said and done, IMO.

Biker19

Banned
Dude, why do you keep saying this? NO ONE is debating this.

I have said a couple of times now (not sure why you're not getting it) that I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 version of GZ outsold the PS4 version. I said NOTHING about the 360 or Xbox One versions. Understand????

This is my first time saying this on this thread. Not sure where you're getting that from.

NeonZ

I know that the 3DS sales aren't looking good right now, but are they actually losing money on that side by itself, or is it due to the Wii U and now the development of this QoL platform?

The issue with all these comments about Nintendo going mobile is that it'd automatically mean the death of their only relevant product line right now. Even if it ends up successful, it's very unlikely that it'd result in profits comparable to their golden age in portables anyway, due to licensing and lower price involved in that market. So, we're looking at a contraction either way.

A new portable generation, attempting to avoid the 3DS pitfalls, like unnecessary 3d raising costs and initial high price, and maybe adding something cheap to make it more appealing to western gamers (like a tv out?) should be considered before just throwing it away. Their console business is another matter though...

Xis

The GBA launched in March, 2001. By the end of 2003, it had sold 49.4 million units.
The 3DS launched in March, 2011. By the end of 2013, it has sold 42.7 million units.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2004/040129e.pdf#page=3
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales1312.pdf

kswiston

When we assume decline, we're probably seeing at least 4 years to top the GBA on either front.

This isn't exactly "tromp"ing the GBA, especially given that the GBA was a short life system.

What does the situation look like if you subtracted Japan from the totals of both systems?

Biker19

Banned
I actually think MSFT has succeeded in their vision for the X1. Their goal was NOT to build a gaming only box. They've said this multiple times, over and over again. The X1 is designed to be a balanced system that can play games, apps, etc (hence the hypervisor OS design).

Um, not exactly. The first 3 million Xbox One owners during November & December just happen to be hardcore Xbox fans.

Average consumers will just most likely see Xbox One as a home gaming console, & they aren't going to shell out $500 w/tax plus $60 for a yearly subscription to Xbox Live Gold just to do most of the things that Xbox One does in which most of the same things that Xbox One has can be done for a lot cheaper on other devices for much less, & without a required subscription.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What does the situation look like if you subtracted Japan from the totals of both systems?

Well, on a really basic level (unfortunately I don't have time right now for an indepth boil down):

Final GBA reported total in Japan: 15,348,849
Current 3DS reported total in Japan: 15,037,116

Given this, the 3DS is doing proportionally notably worse in the West relative to the GBA in comparison to the 3DS versus the GBA in Japan.

Or, in other words, handhelds have held on much better in Japan than in the West, and are still bigger than they were in the GBA days there, whereas that doesn't seem true in the West.

Sheroking

At a much higher price point, with less software overall and at a higher price point as well.

People thought it was nearly DOA for the first 6 months, too.

The real issue with 3DS IMO is that it hasn't had a definitive revision. DS Lite and GBA SP were both pretty huge for Nintendo and provided a huge second wind for those systems, 3DSXL and 2DS? Not so much.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Did Fable Anniversary bomb? Combing through but cant find anything on it

Usually these kinds of re-releases are low volume products that sell in bargain bins for a long period of time.

They also usually appeal to the kinds of consumers buying a 360 late in the generation, so upfront sales won't be the best measure of their success.

Nintendo is only losing money because of poor designing choices. Nintendo hast lost money during the las three years due to unnecessary gimmicks like the tablet controller and the 3D screen of the 3DS. Those consoles would have sold exactly the same, even a little bit more, without the gimmicks an Nintendo would be in the black like always. Saying Nintendo needs to exit hardware without considering the actual reasons of their actual financial struggles is ludicrous.

Biker19

Banned
Nintendo is only losing money because of poor designing choices. Nintendo hast lost money during the las three years due to unnecessary gimmicks like the tablet controller and the 3D screen of the 3DS. Those consoles would have sold exactly the same, even a little bit more, without the gimmicks an Nintendo would be in the black like always. Saying Nintendo needs to exit hardware without considering the actual reasons of their actual financial struggles is ludicrous.

It's more than just that. The dedicated gaming handheld market is just dying to mobile & tablets at a much faster rate than before.

kswiston

Well, on a really basic level (unfortunately I don't have time right now for an indepth boil down):

Final GBA reported total in Japan: 15,348,849
Current 3DS reported total in Japan: 15,037,116

Given this, the 3DS is doing proportionally notably worse in the West relative to the GBA in comparison to the 3DS versus the GBA in Japan.

Or, in other words, handhelds have held on much better in Japan than in the West, and are still bigger than they were in the GBA days there, whereas that doesn't seem true in the West.

Ya, I thought that GBA was huge in the America's (like 40M+ for the region). I don't see the 3DS beating that total regardless of how much longer it is on the market. Sales are already on a decline it seems.

Not dying, just having a reduction. Nintendo can survive with a 30m LTD selling handheld console and all their software royalties.

uh....Nintendo handhelds probably aren't dipping below 30M LTD anytime soon, so I don't think they need to worry about that happening

Top Bottom