• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

Which exclusives exactly are driving Xbox One sales these past two months? I don't see any charting

I'd say its entirely Titanfall to be honest. In the same way I think that Sony has gotten many early buyers with their marketing of future exclusives (Metal Gear, etc.), Microsoft likely is seeing a massive increase in their sales because of all the hype surrounding titanfall. I mean, the hype around titanfall has been absolutely insane. Its like everywhere I went in early 2014 had some ads about titanfall and how amazing it was going to be. That probably significantly boosted some early purchases in the prior month to its release. The fact that Sony had significant supply constraints on the PS4 likely helped Microsoft as well.

Youtube views. Twitter mentions. Preorders
It's probably worth noting your metrics aren't region specific though, as far as I can tell? The relative interest may not be reflected in NPD specifically. I do expect inFamous to do well for itself, and much better than past games in the series have done.

Busaiku

LOS2 < 55k, 360 ~ 62%

UTwNlVM.jpg

Yes but as it stands they had a great month that pretty much was beyond most of our expectations. Anything could happen to either system, look how the PS3 turned things around. Why people want this lopsided Sony victory is beyond me

Hopefully this spooks Sony and they get off their ass and give me my DLNA :p
why? Ps2... We want that gen again with a dominant console that has a great diversity of games. If it can happen with both of these platforms selling well that's great too.

I'm not going to applaud ms for this bump though, they basically marketing the heck out of it, bought the rights to a game so it's not on the competitors box, and start giving away games with there bundles. I still just don't see the value of owning both boxes at this point. Likely all gen..

harSon

Banned
Youtube views. Twitter mentions. Preorders.

Second Son https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHzh96ehv4A&list=PLol_ykYs3OQ6BFpbAz7hnq9JhUZ0UZLbm Published mar 7. 4.7 mil views

To find anything even close on titanfall's youtube you have to go back to october. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caiIamHIzBY&list=PLaeNmk1THKrX8a79WXuL4x2BH_VlzON5V 2.3 mil views. Their E3 video is just over 3 mil. Their "official gameplay launch trailer" which is a week old... 194k.

People give a fuck about inFamous. I'm not speaking about quality in the slightest. I have and absolutely love titanfall. See:

L1HO8rm.png

I'm just saying, and the person who clued me into this is very much with microsoft, but don't sleep on infamous. Titanfall is dominating the media but infamous is dominating things where the consumer makes the choice (like youtube, twitter, etc) and not editors.

That doesn't mean anything though. Ryse's live action television spot basically has the same amount of views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axz0r3Frd5U

It's probably worth noting your metrics aren't region specific though, as far as I can tell? The relative interest may not be reflected in NPD specifically. I expect inFamous to do well for itself, and much better than past games in the series have done.

Very true. But it may also be 100% US views. Who knows. It's reasonable to assume it isn't.

Don't sleep on inFamous

With Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined, the Xbox platform sold more hardware than any other home console platform and held 43 percent of the home console market share in the U.S.

That is lam... low. And sad... and kind of funny, but not really.

I'd say its entirely Titanfall to be honest. In the same way I think that Sony has gotten many early buyers with their marketing of future exclusives (Metal Gear, etc.), Microsoft likely is seeing a massive increase in their sales because of all the hype surrounding titanfall. I mean, the hype around titanfall has been absolutely insane. Its like everywhere I went in early 2014 had some ads about titanfall and how amazing it was going to be. That probably significantly boosted some early purchases in the prior month to its release. The fact that Sony had significant supply constraints on the PS4 likely helped Microsoft as well.
Titanfall is a console exclusive launching around the same time as a genuine exclusive on PS4 with inFamous. I don't see how you can split them and say Xbox has had a better treatment of software over the first two months of this year

I honestly have no idea how ps4 has sold 280+. One major market and one minor market, Syracuse and watertown NY, and there hasn't been a ps4 in the wild consistently at all.

exactly. where the hell did those 280k consoles come from? it's out of stock everywhere. does that mean in-between those restocks and out-of-stocks they sold almost 300k units? what the hell? where are those 300k people who were pressing f5 every hour on bestbuy and amazon websites?! ugh.

Second Son https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHzh96ehv4A&list=PLol_ykYs3OQ6BFpbAz7hnq9JhUZ0UZLbm Published mar 7. 4.7 mil views

To find anything even close on titanfall's youtube you have to go back to october. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caiIamHIzBY&list=PLaeNmk1THKrX8a79WXuL4x2BH_VlzON5V 2.3 mil views. Their E3 video is just over 3 mil. Their "official gameplay launch trailer" which is a week old... 194k.

People give a fuck about inFamous. I'm not speaking about quality in the slightest. I have and absolutely love titanfall. See:

L1HO8rm.png

I'm just saying, and the person who clued me into this is very much with microsoft, but don't sleep on infamous. Titanfall is dominating the media but infamous is dominating things where the consumer makes the choice (like youtube, twitter, etc) and not editors.

Was that you that said they heard from their peeps that the X1 was hardly scratching 100K for Feb?

That doesn't mean anything though. Ryse's live action television spot basically has the same amount of views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axz0r3Frd5U

The same amount of views since october vs the same amount of views from 2 weeks ago.

You don't think there is a difference there?

Someone with marketing knowledge needs to get up in this bitch. They have this shit down to a science right now. I am not one of those people, but I've talked to them. They all say "DONT SLEEP ON INFAMOUS!"

Sony also used it's own metrics in a meeting with EA last week and showed them what they would have sold on the ps3 and ps4. The money EA took from MS doesn't even begin to cover it. The EA guys went over the math and agreed. EA is in full "We're so fucking sorry, Sony" mode currently.

Also, Titanfall 360 is 30 fps. That's just for free for reading my post.

Dunlop

L1HO8rm.png

Infamous was my favorite series on the PS3

It's also a single player game, I cannot see how it would be a significant system seller (thankfully Sony doesn't need that) and I think TitanFall will absolutely smoke it in NA in sales

Chobel

Ha. I think the same way when I see people still cry about DRM that never happened and so on.

To answer your question no. So expect PS4 to dominate hardcore next NPD. Right?

The first post you quoted said PS4 was supply constrained in Feb. Your observations are in March.

N.Domixis

Banned
Ha. I think the same way when I see people still cry about DRM that never happened and so on.

To answer your question no. So expect PS4 to dominate hardcore next NPD. Right?

Ps4 will win march. Infamous may flop, but the system is still selling out around the country. If Sony supplies alot of ps4s, and it looks like they will, they will win. If titanfall did well we would have heard bragging abut the sales. We haven't...

The New York times article totally overlooks that most retailers were either giving away gift cards or free games with the Xbox One in order to get it to move.

BTW, Nirvana sells games. Its just a fact.

Somnid

I was predicting far worse for Nintendo. That's actually not bad all considered. Really nice to see Bravely Default sales, I'd love to see more old-school RPGs.

Mort, these numbers are not really an apples to apples comparison. We have been inundated with media for Titanfall since it's E3 debut. Infamous has had a much slower go with their media plans. One has hundreds of trailers, previews, clips etc, and the other has about 1/4 to 1/2 of that. Views don't mean anything.
That's not to say that Infamous isn't going to do well. I have mine preordered, but a more likely reason for all those views is the lack of first-party AAA content for the PS4. We PS4 owners are hungry, dare I say rabid, for something new. Sony knows this and I think they believe we are all going out to buy it anyway. They aren't treating it like a system seller like MS is with Titanfall. Kind of makes you wonder a little bit about the reason why...

Usobuko

Banned
Fable Anniversary ( Feb 4th )
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ( Feb 11th )
Toukiden: The Age of Demons ( Feb 11th )
One Piece: Romance Dawn ( Feb 11th )
Earth Defense Force 2025 ( Feb 18th )
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 ( Feb 25th ) < 55k
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles ( Feb 25th ) ~ 42k

More obscure sales information please.

How do you know that?

Let's use that logic of yours in Nov, Dec and Jan NPD

229K in Nov, -48K in Dec this means the gap will be in favor Xbone in Jan (-200k). But hey! guess what? the gap is 135K in Jan in favor of PS4.

And that's why your logic of "closing gaps" doesn't make any sense in this case.

Possibly. We'll see in April. I said that because I think there is a strong reason Xbone's sales are increasing. I don't mind people disagreeing with me but maybe you could offer why you think the gap went from 135k to 30k.

Top Bottom