• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

ZhugeEX

Banned
I have no idea if this was ever brought up, but in this Venture Beat article citing Börse I just posted, they peg worldwide sales of the PS4 at 16.1m and the Xbox One at 9.1m as of November 2014.

We already know that the PS4 is at 18.5m as of January 4, 2015, so that would put December sales at 2.4m.

This would also mean that the Xbox One is most definitely over 10 million as of January 4, 2015, as December NPD only would put it at 10.4 million.

Those are chartz numbers. Discard them and just focus on official numbers.

That is incredible, how two consoles are pretty much irrelevant in such little time. Going to be interesting to see where the PS4 is at when the XB1 reached 1 million in Germany, could see PS4 at 3 million minimum.

PS3 is currently at around ~4.2m so it's very possible that PS4 will exceed that, certainly I can see PS4 exceeding 2 million in Germany before the end of this year.

And the UK should have a 2 million announcement before the end of Spring.

Vena

edit: Nintendo designing mobile games is a big recognition that they lost their "big 3" advantage but the real test will be what NX looks like. I suspect that Nintendo reversing its fortunes is going to make a lot of people unhappy (and longer term I see absolutely no way they do not shift dramatically with the industry), but I think ultimately nearly every 18-35 year old male is going to be unhappy anyway.

The DeNA deals started before the WiiU/3DS launched. This was a plan for them for a long time now, and I don't think it necessarily means what you're implying but it is certainly possible.

Don't know why people would be all that unhappy, though, if they aren't already burning down villages over amiibo.

Just to make the Wii U look worse, it was out a year longer.

WII U is such a huge fuck up the console is not even worth mentioning. I recall Aqua mentioning that it was well behind GameCube when the launches were aligned, if that does not tell you how awful Wii U has not then nothing will. Nintendo are not in the greatest position with their current offering, 3DS is not doing spectacular numbers (hence the branching into mobile) and nothing else needs to be said about the Wii U. Their next console must be coming sooner rather than later, going to be interesting to see what route they go.

XB1 is a completely different matter when compared to Wii U, while PS4 will be number 1 worldwide the XB1 will be able to maintain similar numbers to it in NA and UK quite easily. It's already obvious that PS4 will be the best selling console WW, question is how much better it will sell compared to XB1. WW I see a 2:1 ratio at absolute worst in favour of PS4 whereas NA and UK will be 1:1. This is an NPD thread so don't want to mention EU so much but shit did XB1 fuck up there, the Xbox brand was never doing amazing numbers outside UK in EU but they will still respectable.

PS3 is currently at around ~4.2m so it's very possible that PS4 will exceed that, certainly I can see PS4 exceeding 2 million in Germany before the end of this year.

And the UK should have a 2 million announcement before the end of Spring.

Thanks for the numbers. I recall most if not all of Sonys first party games selling better in EU than NA besides God of War so in all honesty, game over already in EU. GT and Uncharted will just further take care of business next year or so, that said FIFA is doing more for the PS4 in EU than those two franchises ever could.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Are they? Chartz has different numbers at that time, and even the German LTD is different.

100% certain. I remember it being discussed at the time.

Plus Chartz change their numbers all the time (because they're guessing and use official data to fill in the gaps) so whilst you won't see those numbers now thy were certainly the numbers at the time and where those worldwide numbers were taken from.

Welfare

100% certain. I remember it being discussed at the time.

Plus Chartz change their numbers all the time (because they're guessing and use official data to fill in the gaps) so whilst you won't see those numbers now thy were certainly the numbers at the time and where those worldwide numbers were taken from.

Yeah I guess.

Gah, fuck chartz.

ZhugeEX

Banned
WII U is such a huge fuck up the console is not even worth mentioning. I recall Aqua mentioning that it was well behind GameCube when the launches were aligned.

Yup,

GameCube was at 13.94m sold in whilst Wii U is at 9.2m sold in. So almost a 5m difference.

The Gamecube went on to sell 21.74m units. At this point I think the Wii U will only just reach somewhere around 15 million or so before Nintendo kill it.

DevilFox

By your definition, neither graphic adventures nor platformers are niche either because a good number of people buy Telltale's graphic adventures and Nintendo's platformers. Nintendo systems aren't doing that well, but certainly, Mario is still selling pretty well despite that. In addition, puzzle games aren't niche... They just moved to mobile and became Free with IAPs. The way I see it the Souls games are in this weird state where they certainly would be niche if compared to the games people usually hype up, but unlike say Platinum's games, they end up actually selling to a decent amount of people.

Uhm, not really good examples I think. First let me state again that I don't believe sales have a lot to do with a title being niche.
Said that, while it's true that Nintendo's platform games sell well, we should see the whole picture and wonder: what about the others? What about all the platforms we had 10+ years ago? I don't remember the recent Rayman games selling very well and that's even a known IP. Sonic? Nintendo's platform games sell and they don't leave Mario and friends for the same reason they put them in party games or golf games or whatever: they would appeal and sell way less than they do because the gamers asking for them aren't a lot.
The market for platforms on console shrunk a lot, they survive pretty much thanks to low budget titles and / or indies.
Telltale's graphic adventures became known thanks to the license of The Walking Dead, now also Game of Thrones. I don't know the sales but I'm ready to bet they both did a lot better than The Wolf Among Us or Life is Strange, definitely more than D4. Is it confirmed that they're working with Minecraft now? Well, another totally unknown IP, isn't it. Keep in mind we're also talking about cheap episodes sold on almost every system available, even mobile. The graphic adventures we were used to are now gone / rare: Policenauts, Broken Sword, Syberia, Monkey Island.. no episodes or licenses, full price, a model that's basically impossible today, I'm afraid.
Point is, if they weren't niche, we would have a lot more titles like them, even riskier projects, but it's not happening.

Mobile market is different, people buy what's cheap mostly and games like Flappy Bird can sell like crazy. There's nothing really niche there in my opinion and this is why puzzle games can find new life there with good games like World of Goo. It's not Braid nor Portal and the only way they can be sold is for very, very few bucks or for free, but it's something.

To make it short: to survive doesn't mean not to be niche, but I'm aware that my idea of niche is pretty uncommon or unshared.

Lemondish

edit: Nintendo designing mobile games is a big recognition that they lost their "big 3" advantage but the real test will be what NX looks like. I suspect that Nintendo reversing its fortunes is going to make a lot of people unhappy (and longer term I see absolutely no way they do not shift dramatically with the industry), but I think ultimately nearly every 18-35 year old male is going to be unhappy anyway.

Why would this make people unhappy?

The Gamecube went on to sell 21.74m units. At this point I think the Wii U will only just reach somewhere around 15 million or so before Nintendo kill it.

Wonder if PS4 with the recent bundles and offers, has passed Gamecube sales by now or is close to doing so.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Wonder if PS4 with the recent bundles and offers, has passed Gamecube sales by now or is close to doing so.

Sold in? Most certainly.

Not that this needed a graph but here ya go-

PG_zps3nephikv.jpg

Javin98

Banned
I have no idea if this was ever brought up, but in this Venture Beat article citing Börse I just posted, they peg worldwide sales of the PS4 at 16.1m and the Xbox One at 9.1m as of November 2014.

We already know that the PS4 is at 18.5m as of January 4, 2015, so that would put December sales at 2.4m.

This would also mean that the Xbox One is most definitely over 10 million as of January 4, 2015, as December NPD only would put it at 10.4 million.
Dude, not trying to sound offensive, but you had me thinking about this all day. Good thing at some point today I had a feeling these were Chartz numbers, so I decided to ignore them until now to make sure. Based on US numbers, we can be quite certain that the PS4 sold close to or roughly 3 million last December. When I thought about that, I was wondering why the numbers simply don't add up and I thought "must be Chartz". Try not to torture me again.... :p

Welfare

Dude, not trying to sound offensive, but you had me thinking about this all day. Good thing at some point today I had a feeling these were Chartz numbers, so I decided to ignore them until now to make sure. Based on US numbers, we can be quite certain that the PS4 sold close to or roughly 3 million last December. When I thought about that, I was wondering why the numbers simply don't add up and I thought "must be Chartz". Try not to torture me again.... :p

Forgot to edit that post yesterday after the fact. Sorry :p

ZhugeEX

Banned

The PS4 sold through more than 4.1 million units to end customers between 23/11/2014 to 04/01/2015, total cumulative sell through exceeded 18.5 million units.

Javin98

Banned
Forgot to edit that post yesterday after the fact. Sorry :p
It's all right, dude. Just don't give me another mind fuck :p

The PS4 sold through more than 4.1 million units to end customers between 23/11/2014 to 04/01/2015, total cumulative sell through exceeded 18.5 million units.
That would mean the sales in December is at least 3.5 million, right? Anyway, I wasn't trying to get an accurate figure. Just trying to prove my point about the numbers not adding up.

ZhugeEX

Banned
That would mean the sales in December is at least 3.5 million, right? Anyway, I wasn't trying to get an accurate figure. Just trying to prove my point about the numbers not adding up.

See below>

PS4 sell through totals-

1.0 million sold through between Nov 15th 2013 and Nov 16th 2013 (1.0 million cumulative)
1.1 million sold through between Nov 16th 2013 and Dec 1st 2013. (2.1 million cumulative)
2.1 million sold through between Dec 2nd 2013 and Dec 28th 2013 (4.2 million cumulative) (4.5 million sold in)
1.1 million sold through between Dec 29th 2013 and Feb 8th 2014 (5.3 million cumulative)
0.7 million sold through between Feb 9th 2014 and Mar 2nd 2014 (6.0 million cumulative)
1.0 million sold through between Mar 3rd 2014 and Apr 6th 2014 (7.0 million cumulative) (7.5 million sold in)
3.0 million sold through between Apr 7th 2014 and Aug 10th 2014 (10.0 million cumulative)
4.4 million sold through between Aug 11th 2014 and Nov 22nd 2014 (14.4 million cumulative)
4.1 million sold through between Nov 23rd 2014 and Jan 4th 2015 (18.5 million cumulative) (19.9 million sold in)
1.7 million sold through between Jan 5th 2015 and March 1st 2015 (20.2 million cumulative)

Numbers are rounded.

Please let me know if any mistakes.

Javin98

Banned
See below>

PS4 sell through totals-

1.0 million sold through between Nov 15th 2013 and Nov 16th 2013 (1.0 million cumulative)
1.1 million sold through between Nov 16th 2013 and Dec 1st 2013. (2.1 million cumulative)
2.1 million sold through between Dec 2nd 2013 and Dec 28th 2013 (4.2 million cumulative) (4.5 million sold in)
1.1 million sold through between Dec 29th 2013 and Feb 8th 2014 (5.3 million cumulative)
0.7 million sold through between Feb 9th 2014 and Mar 2nd 2014 (6.0 million cumulative)
1.0 million sold through between Mar 3rd 2014 and Apr 6th 2014 (7.0 million cumulative) (7.5 million sold in)
3.0 million sold through between Apr 7th 2014 and Aug 10th 2014 (10.0 million cumulative)
4.4 million sold through between Aug 11th 2014 and Nov 22nd 2014 (14.4 million cumulative)
4.1 million sold through between Nov 23rd 2014 and Jan 4th 2015 (18.5 million cumulative) (19.9 million sold in)
1.7 million sold through between Jan 5th 2015 and March 1st 2015 (20.2 million cumulative)

Numbers are rounded.

Please let me know if any mistakes.
I don't have a record of the sales, but this looks about right. It's amazing the PS4 did 1 million on launch day. The thirst was really there. Yet 3 million sold through from April to early August is a bit underwhelming. I expect the PS4 to do better during that period this year with the release of Batman Arkham Knight which should move tons of units.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I don't have a record of the sales, but this looks about right. It's amazing the PS4 did 1 million on launch day. The thirst was really there. Yet 3 million sold through from April to early August is a bit underwhelming. I expect the PS4 to do better during that period this year with the release of Batman Arkham Knight which should move tons of units.

Bear in mind the PS4 was supply constrained everywhere to start off with. In North America they couldn't ship more than 1.5 million units there for November. potentially november could have been much bigger.

And now in an easier to view format-

sell%20through%20PS4_zpsk902wvgw.jpg

(I have an obsession with graphs and visual data, don't ask)

The graphic adventures we were used to are now gone / rare: Policenauts, Broken Sword, Syberia, Monkey Island.. no episodes or licenses, full price, a model that's basically impossible today, I'm afraid.
Point is, if they weren't niche, we would have a lot more titles like them, even riskier projects, but it's not happening.
Broken Sword 5 came out last year and it was pretty great.

Syberia 3 is coming.

Those Majora's Mask numbers warm my cold heart. The original was considered a black sheep of the series for so long. It's funny how some things change with time.

Top Bottom