• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

That pre-season business is humorously bad as an analogy, because unlike the preseason Jan-Oct actually count.

It's much more like a team that doesn't bother showing up for the first 80% of the regular season and then wonders why they have a worse record at the end of the season than a team which does bother to try.

frizby

I know it's only one vendor etc., but hasn't Amazon been the most reliable predictor of monthly NPD results thus far this gen? PS4 has been killing it this month, and Bloodborne is also looking good. And the hourly top ten has been littered with PS4 related stuff every time I've checked for weeks...currently 8 of the top 10 are PS4 hardware, software or PSN codes.

And for the year, Bloodborne is 50 and The Order is 47. I have to believe that Bloodborne will have better "legs" and will pass it soon.

stryke

I know it's only one vendor etc., but hasn't Amazon been the most reliable predictor of monthly NPD results thus far this gen? PS4 has been killing it this month, and Bloodborne is also looking good. And the hourly top ten has been littered with PS4 related stuff every time I've checked for weeks...currently 8 of the top 10 are PS4 hardware, software or PSN codes.

And for the year, Bloodborne is 50 and The Order is 47. I have to believe that Bloodborne will have better "legs" and will pass it soon.

The only thing it's been reliable for is predicting whether who wins between PS4 and X1 month to month.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I know it's only one vendor etc., but hasn't Amazon been the most reliable predictor of monthly NPD results thus far this gen?

In terms of hardware yes.

But in terms of software not at all.
And in terms of margin, not at all.
Nor do the hourly charts mean anything.

gtj1092

In terms of hardware yes.

But in terms of software not at all.
And in terms of margin, not at all.
Nor do the hourly charts mean anything.

So you wouldn't predict for bloodborne to move up in the monthly chart once they update it or for the X1 to drop?

Kal_El

I think it's going to be word of mouth that gets Bloodborne great sales. As for the rest of the year it seems as if 2 games or so a month will be coming out for ps4 that i'm going to be buying.

MLB The Show Mar 31
Mortal Kombat Apr 14 (maybe)
Final Fantasy X/X-2 May 12th
Witcher 3 May 19th
Until Dawn somewhere in there.

Even IF they have no Big Holiday exclusive these games will still allow new console owners a great library of games.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So you wouldn't predict for bloodborne to move up in the monthly chart once they update it or for the X1 to drop?

That's not what I said.

I said looking at an hourly chart does not matter.

The reason is because 1pm-2pm could be different from 2pm-3pm. You can't use rankings to determine sales numbers which will vary from hour to hour.

Where as March 1st-March 31st is a more defined period of time and will show the best overall ranking.

newjeruse

Bloodborne has been #50 for over a week. I doubt those are updated as frequently as they say.

onQ123

Bloodborne is back above the $10 PSN card.

UwQ2HmR.jpg

onQ123

A few days ago it was at 2nd place.

Yeah I know that's why I said it's back above it.

I'm not sure how this will translate to the rest of the NPD but Bloodborne & PS4 all together has been killing Amazon for the last 2 weeks or so. Also it look like they haven't updated the full year rankings in a week. I think they know we are watching lol.

Pezus

Yearly charts haven't updated in like 1-2 weeks I believe. Bloodborne could be ahead by now.

onQ123

Yearly charts haven't updated in like 1-2 weeks I believe. Bloodborne could be ahead by now.

It just updated & Bloodborne is #29 & #55 for the year.

Also back at #2 hourly & the PS4 is now selling faster than the $10 PSN card.

ykfO2ES.jpg

March might be a Bloodbath.

Welfare

It just updated & Bloodborne is #29 & #55 for the year.

Also back at #2 hourly & the PS4 is now selling faster than the $10 PSN card.

March might be a Bloodbath.

Amazon monthly shows PS4 at #7 and Xbox Unity bundle at #16.

Might not be that big of a bloodbath as some are expecting.

On the topic of Bloodborne in Amazon charts, it's finally beaten Type-0 for March monthly rankings.

Was previously 6th, but now has supplanted Type-0 at 5th.

onQ123

It's still a week left in this months NPD & PS4 picked up as Xbox One sales declined in the last week or so. I think it will be at least 100K difference.

samar11

It's still a week left in this months NPD & PS4 picked up as Xbox One sales declined in the last week or so. I think it will be at least 100K difference.

Yeh I think a 100k difference at least. I think ps4 will widen the gap back to 1.2 million faster then last year.

Javin98

Banned

That's actually closer than I thought. I expect the gap to expand even further as the PS4 just got an insane deal and both XB1 bundles have been in #50's on the hourly charts for a week.

On Demand

Banned
The spacing in the Amazon monthly doesn't tell you anything in terms of a sales gap. It could be large or small. It should only be used to guess the position they will be in NPD.

For example last month PS4 and XB1 was 10 and 11-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2015-02/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_videogames_pg_1?ie=UTF8&pg=1

*NPD results-

PS4 342K
XB1 276K

January was 9 and 18-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2015-01/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_videogames_pg_1?ie=UTF8&pg=1

*NPD results-

PS4 194
XB1 152

As you can see the small gap in Amazon's February monthly showed a bigger sales gap in NPD compared the bigger gap in Amazon's January monthly that showed a smaller gap in NPD. You also have to take into consideration sometimes other retailers might have a deal going and that will affect Amazon's rankings.

That's why what i do is use other retailers rankings against Amazon's and see if the trends match up with each other.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The spacing in the Amazon monthly doesn't tell you anything in terms of a sales gap. It could be large or small. It should only be used to guess the position they will be in NPD.

For example last month PS4 and XB1 was 10 and 11-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2015-02/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_videogames_pg_1?ie=UTF8&pg=1

*NPD results-

PS4 342K
XB1 276K

January was 9 and 18-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2015-01/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_videogames_pg_1?ie=UTF8&pg=1

*NPD results-

PS4 194
XB1 152

As you can see the small gap in Amazon's February monthly showed a bigger sales gap in NPD compared the bigger gap in Amazon's January monthly that showed a smaller gap in NPD. You also have to take into consideration sometimes other retailers might have a deal going and that will affect Amazon's rankings.

That's why what i do is use other retailers rankings against Amazon's and see if the trends match up with each other.

Thanks for this post. Some people in this thread take a ranking too seriously.

There is no doubt the PS4 will easily outsell the Xbox One this month. But whether that's by 1,000 units or 100,000 units can not be determined from an Amazon ranking.

2thepoint

I wonder if this Bloodborne success is going to help the DS2 remaster.

Well, I'm playing Bloodborne, having an amazing time, and am now definitely picking up DS2 on PS4.

I never touched Dark Souls or Demon Souls, and I now realize I missed out so much.

Well, I'm playing Bloodborne, having an amazing time, and am now definitely picking up DS2 on PS4.

I never touched Dark Souls or Demon Souls, and I now realize I missed out so much.

This is my first Souls game too, but I'm hesitant about DS2. I like the setting of Bloodborne a lot more than the fantasy stuff.

RexNovis

Banned
There have been frequent reports of stock shortages for Bloodborne across continental North America. Does anyone know if it was under shipped? Personally I feel that's feasible as I doubt Sony expected such a phenomenal response for the game. But it could also be an indication of incredibly high demand for the game.

There have been frequent reports of stock shortages for Bloodborne across continental North America. Does anyone know if it was under shipped? Personally I feel that's feasible as I doubt Sony expected such a phenomenal response for the game. But it could also be an indication of incredibly high demand for the game.

as I mentioned before, Sony took out extended ads for this game in primetime during the Walking Dead.

http://thegamefanatics.com/2015/03/bloodborne-extended-tv-ad-released-and-its-absolutely-brutal/

That isn't cheap, and doesn't make sense for them to only ship 300k physical copies for that kind of ad blitz.

Top Bottom