• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

ethomaz

Banned
T3iZGuf.png
PS4 pac-man.

Shifting away from dedicated hardware suggests that they're contracting the business and no longer releasing dedicated Xbox, when in reality they're expanding the platform offerings alongside an existing dedicated platform.

Sony and Nintendo have proven time and time again, you cannot support one platform without staving the other. How is Microsoft, with the smallest amount of first party content, going to expand its offerings?

2thepoint

Whelp there seems to be no denying their shift away from dedicated HW anymore. Its even heavily indicated in their NPD PR.

It really would be catastrophic for Microsoft to transition Xbox over to Windows.

If they have no interest in keeping the brand as is today, sell the brand to Samsung, Amazon or anyone willing to do the Xbox brand justice.

Would be a sad day if they pull the plug on hardware and I really am intrigued and excited to see what they could bring to the next gen after learning so many valuable lessons this gen.

fernoca

EVO is going to be one of the top Twitch streams during the time its on, people who generally don't play SF or fighting games in general will tune in when they see it in the DOTA 2/LOL range of current viewers to see what's up.
Though I do wonder why so much faith is put on EVO to drive Street Fighter V sales only.

Shouldn't every game at EVO also benefit from that?

Did the previous years helped considerably in sales for all the games? Because the versions Street Fighter IV at retail went down in sales despite EVO. So it seems that whatever benefit was acquired did more to convince current owners to upgrade or download DLC.

harSon

Banned
Sony and Nintendo have proven time and time again, you cannot support one platform without staving the other. How is Microsoft, with the smallest amount of first party content, going to expand its offerings?

I'm talking about the blurring of boundaries between Xbox and PC when I say expanding.

RexNovis

Banned
Well, technically Xbox One is a Windows 10 device...

Yes but until recently their NPD statements focused on "the Xbox One all in one entertainment center" or however the hell they say it and there was also no mention of Windows 10. This is a big departure and frankly it is very telling.

Ashtar

Damn plant vs zombies 2 bombed (well not really) it was a late release but didn't chart physical or digital I gifs the world wasn't ready for a 60 dollar pvz game

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PS4 is kicking it into high gear. Honestly if I didn't have an Xbox One now I would build a PC instead, but I'm sure Microsoft doesn't mind much.

Shifting away from dedicated hardware suggests that they're contracting the business and no longer releasing dedicated Xbox, when in reality they're expanding the platform offerings alongside an existing dedicated platform.

Putting a few first party games a year on Win 10 is not going to do much of anything for the brand....gears, halo forza are small potatoes on PC. People are not going to leave steam for MS PC vision/.

hawk2025

PS4 is kicking it into high gear. Honestly if I didn't have an Xbox One now I would build a PC instead, but I'm sure Microsoft doesn't mind much.

Well, depends.

If you buy all your games on the W10 Store, great. They gobble up those 30% and are probably very happy with it.

If you only buy a couple of the W10 exclusive games there and go for Steam for everything else? I'd guess they would care quite a lot. Especially when you add Live Gold to the mix!

RexNovis

Banned
The 360 had a slow start and accelerated, the opposite of the XB1. They should cross paths in the next few years (launch aligned).

Actually theyll be crossing paths in the next couple of months. By the time the holidays roll around the XB1 will be significantly behind the 360 given the YoY declines its facing and the sales trajectory the 360 enjoyed during the same period.

I'm talking about the blurring of boundaries between Xbox and PC when I say expanding.

Which ultimately will lead to a spinning down of the traditional console model.

There is no two ways about this. If Xbox gets any closer to windows, it basically is windows. At that point, its just a Windows PC with Xbox branding a la surface.

Which is fine, microsoft are still making consoles after all, but they are closer to branded HTPCs than what we currently play on.

NolbertoS

Cream thanks for the pies. Missed that sweet delicious warm apple pie [face_drooling] :p

Edit. PS4 kicking ass like usual. Can't wait for NX reveal.

harSon

Banned
Actually theyll be crossing paths in the next couple of months. By the time the holidays roll around the XB1 will be significantly behind the 360 given the YoY declines its facing and the sales trajectory the 360 enjoyed during the same period.

Xbox 360 didn't take off until the Kinect launched Holiday 2010. It's February at the same period in its life cycle for example was 250,000.

2thepoint

SFV was the 5th bestselling game on the PSN last month.

That old put it over the 1M mark, no? Probably a little bit higher than that.

Hopefully it at least matched Capcoms estimates, considering it was a single SKU.

Well, the financial incentives from Sony for exclusivity, at least on consoles, combined with good, not great sales should keep them somewhat optimistic.

Considering we keep getting remasters from them, its at least refreshing for them to actually release a AAA game.

Hopefully they now can make moves to announce Resident Evil 7 and DMC 5- and if it leaves a positive first impression they could be on to a big money spinner in the future.

Welfare

Meh, you know what.

If the PS4 received a 10% increase YoY

PS4 = 376k
XB1 = 230k
WIU = 64k

If 20%

PS4 = 410k
XB1 = 251k
WIU = 70k

Shadoken

Nope. NA + UK + JP = Under 300k. Adding the rest of EU and digital wont add 700k sales.

EDIT:
And there's cream.

Steam is at about 130k. I'd say its probably 500k at best with all Digital sales included. Really dont see it hitting that 2million mark.

Top Bottom