• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

Aaron D.

GTA V never ceases to amaze me, you'd think that everybody that wants the game already owns it but the damn game keeps selling like hot cakes.

I bet a lot of it has to do with people double-dipping between the last-gen & current-gen versions when they upgrade their hardware. One of the rare occasions where the game really deserves a second look on current platforms as the shift from last to current gen is night and day between the two.

Rockstar was brilliant in releasing V during the sunset of last gen and then bringing it back, Bigger, Badder & More Badass for current gen.

New IPs are a hard sell as "system sellers" even if they're really really good.

They need to be at the level of Titanfall/Destiny where there were inconceivably high levels of hype that escalates a really really strong excitement for the game for there to be a strong tick of hardware that can be attributed to a single game's release.

Don't know about that, i mean it's a great game and they're marketing it well, also it's not like PS4 has a better line up in April to fight that, unless i'm missing something

I love Remedy and I have Quantum break pre ordered but people have made their decision this gen. It might sell well (hopefully) But in my personal opinion Microsoft has released solid after solid release and it hasn't done anything for them. Sony has this in the bag and exclusives don't really matter anymore.

I can't wait for Quantum break myself and as long as it sells enough to make some money for the studio so they can carry on releasing classic action games, I'll be happy.

I wouldn't expect it to shift hardware at all, not at this time of year. or any to be honest.

I'm getting QB day one bro but I have a feeling its going to bomb :(

I think it will Bomb too. MS has released some interesting games this gen/Funded etc and they all tank. The market went to another console so those games suffer. I just hope it sells enough to recoup costs

I continue to disagree with the idea that SFV sales are low only due to user reception or content. Much of that info was received to the consumer the day before in the form of reviews or the day of or after.

The initial baseline of sales is simply too low to chalk up SFV sales to simply that set of factors.

Lack of good marketing .
People also found out about the lack of story mode more than a week in advance .
Lack of characters , stages etc etc which goes back to content .
I mean lets be real here if your coming from SFIV 45 plus characters to 16 is a big drop .

paulogy

While I appreciate the NPD data and historical comparison, the piece that is still missing is digital sales.

For SFV for instance, I would not be surprised if a much larger portion of people bought it digitally, compared to when SFIV launched.
PS Blog shows SFV at #5 for PS4 digital downloads, still below Naruto, but now above GTA, COD, etc.

Lack of good marketing .
People also found out about the lack of story mode more than a week in advance .
Lack of characters , stages etc etc which goes back to content .
I mean lets be real here if your coming from SFIV 45 plus characters to 16 is a big drop .

heh, may as well adding all SFV DLC characters because you used USFIV which is an upgraded version of an upgraded version (SSFIV:AE) of an upgraded version (SSFIV) of a vanilla game (SFIV)

GKFinns

I'm hoping Quantum Break sells well. Xbox One needs a win, and the game is at least looking really pretty. I'm hoping it's more than your average third person cover shooter.

That said, thanks to the two week delay, QB is now going up against Uncharted 4. I don't think Quantum Break is going to propel Xbox One sales higher than the Uncharted 4 bundle will propel PS4 sales.

shandy706

Far Cry primal did amazing wow.

Happy to see one SKUs of Fates in TOP TEN, even if was expect. :D

The first company to do an open world survival/building game with dinosaurs is going to make BANK!!

People love prehistoric settings.

Horizon should do well, but I want something like State of Decay in a prehistoric setting.

I'm hoping Quantum Break sells well. Xbox One needs a win, and the game is at least looking really pretty. I'm hoping it's more than your average third person cover shooter.

That said, thanks to the two week delay, QB is now going up against Uncharted 4. I don't think Quantum Break is going to propel Xbox One sales higher than the Uncharted 4 bundle will propel PS4 sales.

There's no way QB outdoes Uncharted 4. Can't wait to play it though.

AgitatedIndolentHarborseal.gif

I'm hoping Quantum Break sells well. Xbox One needs a win,

Not sure if QB will help much since it also comes to PC. MS lost sale on me because of this. I was on the fence to buy XB1 for so long but the Win10 UWP makes it really hard to justify buying XB1 at this point.

Wow, people actually happy and thrilled to see SFV failed? Butthurt because of exclusive deal or something? Never in my life have I’ve seen so many people happy about sad news for a developer. Capcom has some of the greatest franchises in gaming, is mismanaged, and deserves some criticism, but wishing bad on anyone shows an ill-hearted individual. Just like the TR thread, or The Order. Why are people happy when things bombs? Don’t get the logic.

And SFV is a great game, I’ve already saved posts to come back next year and see what the landscape looks like. I’ll happily eat crow if I’m wrong, but no way I think SFV doesn’t turn into a fantastic fighting game over the next few years and sell 3 or 4 million over it’s lifetime.

Yeah I've seen the sentiment here quite a bit, and many other forums as well. From a few people that I've followed (not saying it's anyone in this thread)- a lot of the people who are celebrating the poor sales were vocal critics of the game's "censorship". I've seen quite a few comments along the lines of "that's what you get when you listen to SJWs" and "see told you feminists weren't going to buy the game".

The worst stigma around the game though is that it's an "unfinished product being sold at full price". People lump it in with Arkham Knight PC or AC Unity and a lot of that negativity is coming for the ride unfortunately... and that failing to meet sale goals sends some kind of message to developers to "stop trying to scam people with incomplete games".

Anybody who was following the news about SFV leading up to launch, played the beta, and has played the final product online after the server issues were ironed out in a few days knows the hate is really blown out of proportion.

heh, may as well adding all SFV DLC characters because you used USFIV which is an upgraded version of an upgraded version (SSFIV:AE) of an upgraded version (SSFIV) of a vanilla game (SFIV)

We should because at the end of the day it's still a huge drop .
And people have there favorites characters they like to play .
It being a new number don't really mean much to a certain aspect of the market .

Elandyll

Banned
The first company to do an open world survival/building game with dinosaurs is going to make BANK!!

People love prehistoric settings.

Horizon should do well, but I want something like State of Decay in a prehistoric setting.

There's no way QB outdoes Uncharted 4. Can't wait to play it though.

AgitatedIndolentHarborseal.gif
Check out Ark Survival Evolved.

Its rough right now in Early Access (PC/ XB1). But should hopefully be better when it releases in June (PS4 as well).

Bioshocker

I think it will Bomb too. MS has released some interesting games this gen/Funded etc and they all tank. The market went to another console so those games suffer. I just hope it sells enough to recoup costs

Yes, I think this is what we can hope for. I love Remedy too and I always hope for their games to succeed. Alan Wake didn't do too well, and frankly that's the reason we still haven't seen a real sequel. It was the right decision not to relase Quantum Break last fall, and now with Uncharted 4 being pushed to May it should have a fighting chance to sell decently. Still, I doubt it.

oti

Banned

QB feels pretty weird right now. The people who want it REALLY WANT it apparently. The rest is just "eh, looks like a shooter, I guess". But it's by Remedy so people will give it a a chance. From what I've seen it could be really cool or really mediocre. We'll see.

I hope for Remedy's sake that QB performs well. But what's the point in winning a single and minor victory if you're about to loose the war?

jelly

Quantum Break needs work of mouth hype once released. I think it will do okay at launch but nothing amazing. Long legs if it ends up being a great game.

wapplew

QB feels pretty weird right now. The people who want it REALLY WANT it apparently. The rest is just "eh, looks like a shooter, I guess". But it's by Remedy so people will give it a a chance. From what I've seen it could be really cool or really mediocre. We'll see.

We could compare it with RoTR and see how single player only game perform on Xbox one.

Chola

Banned
GTA V sold nearly 351K copies in Feb 2016, 2016
HOW THE FUCK is that even possible?
I think GTA 5 is the biggest success the world must have ever seen.

Petrae

Wow, people actually happy and thrilled to see SFV failed? Butthurt because of exclusive deal or something? Never in my life have I’ve seen so many people happy about sad news for a developer. Capcom has some of the greatest franchises in gaming, is mismanaged, and deserves some criticism, but wishing bad on anyone shows an ill-hearted individual. Just like the TR thread, or The Order. Why are people happy when things bombs? Don’t get the logic.

And SFV is a great game, I’ve already saved posts to come back next year and see what the landscape looks like. I’ll happily eat crow if I’m wrong, but no way I think SFV doesn’t turn into a fantastic fighting game over the next few years and sell 3 or 4 million over it’s lifetime.

I'm satisfied that SFV is well short of its sales targets. I think it's a deserved fate after seeing how Capcom released a barebones game for $60 and thought that it could get away with doing so. Poor sales are a good (and necessary) way to communicate to a company that it fucked up-- and its customers noticed. If you want more people to buy your product, you need to release a better one, a more full one, and one that doesn't focus almost exclusively on one aspect of play (e-Sports).

Elandyll

Banned

What kind of "win" do you have in mind?
If it's about getting a solid game to strengthen an already decent lineup, I'd say it's probable.

If you mean an NPD win, then I don't think that QB can deliver that, no.

blakep267

We could compare it with RoTR and see how single player only game perform on Xbox one.
I think the difference is launch dates. Sunset and TR both had terrible dates for what they were. Not saying QB is gonna sell amazingly, but TR in the spring sells more than TR launching in the same day as fallout and in November with COd

I'm expecting 200-300 for QB without bundles. I don't think that's unreasonable

I think the difference is launch dates. Sunset and TR both had terrible dates for what they were. Not saying QB is gonna sell amazingly, but TR in the spring sells more than TR launching in the same day as fallout and in November with COd

I'm expecting 200-300 for QB without bundles. I don't think that's unreasonable
Tomb raider is a well known big ip though...qb is a new ip.

Curufinwe

Where is Ars Technica with their projection graphs to show how big the gap will be if PS4 & Xbox One keep selling at this rate?

lol they went out of their way to show how Xbox One could end up in the lead.

Imagine how big it would be if someone in MS leaked their actual worldwide sales number...

I'd be happy to bet it's not anywhere near the 23 million at the top end of Kyle Orland's fantasies.

Glad to see sanity was brought to the SF5/Naruto comps. Cream the hero we need but don't deserve.

RIP In Peace, Rexy. See you on the other side.

Yay good for FE.
Wait SFV released this month? o_O Capcom and their stealth releases.

Aren't you the same cat that said you didn't know what The Division was?

You need to start paying more attention!

QaaQer

i mention dedicated market because it includes handhelds. and people might mention outside competition but that is kind of the point.

i expect the sixth generation ps5 to be essentially what a ps6 would be for us. but as time goes on, disc-based or card-based platforms will be supported less and less until they're not supported at all. and then whatever 'playstation 5' is will be rolled into other sony platforms on pcs and boxes to hook up to your television. i think this is what microsoft is actually trying to jump ahead on with xbox one instead of waiting two more years for another refresh.

If by 'dedicated' you mean things that only play games, well then they are already dead.

Physical hardware plus ecosystem is how Apple has become the most profitable company ever. With the right strategy, there is no reason a dedicated entertainment box under the tv with associated ecosystem can't work.

I think the big thing is whether Moore's Law is truly done or not. If the # of transistors per cm^2 stagnates at 5nm, then the power of smartphones won't be high enough to replace dedicated hardware. That means we'll be stuck with boxes for a while yet.

e-gamer

Xbox 360 did 254k in Feb 2008 if the old NPD stats are correct.

While I think XBO will lose track with 360 sales this year, this isn't so bad yet, just the PS4 doing great of course.

They are the same price.

Xbox One must be sold at 299 at least (or U$50 less than PS4's price) to get close to PS4 this gen.

But I can see why MS is selling Xbox Ones at 349 this point: Maybe they tend to choose sell less but make more Money than sell more and make less Money...

Welfare

Poor RexNovis. Hope it's not too long.

Also just going to chime in on something from a few pages back. PS4 won't sell more than 300k in May. Not even the 360 could accomplish this. The PS4 would have to become the Wii with stock problems for that to happen.

May is dead as fuck, worse than January.

Glad to see sanity was brought to the SF5/Naruto comps. Cream the hero we need but don't deserve.

RIP In Peace, Rexy. See you on the other side.

Aren't you the same cat that said you didn't know what The Division was?

You need to start paying more attention!

Did we get a Naruto number?

From what I see : 315 < x < 351
How much was Xenoverse? 250k?

Top Bottom