• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

You have to start to genuinely ask what the future of the Xbox brand is. Big shake ups coming I'm sure, as we are seeing with MS shifting to a PC / Windows 10 focus

Shadoken

I really hope that SF5 sales don't mean Capcom gives up or cuts their content plans short. The game is so good. So much better than SF4 ever was. I think the market is a lot different these days though. People were so hungry for a street fighter in 2009. That hunger was sated since then.

They have nobody to blame but themselves. No content for casuals to play at launch , non functioning online for core players at launch. Like the very fact that it even sold this much is a shock.

Capcom knows they fucked up , and they cant just blame the franchise/game/genre/fgc for their own failure. So they either stick with their original plan and see it through. Or this whole project was just a failure. And Capcom should just stick to making usual retail style fighting games sell 2m and call it a day.

Elandyll

Banned
Capcom did it to themselves. They could've held the game for a month so it wouldn't have developed a bad word of mouth but too late now.
When you have a good core, you can build on that.

Like I said before, I could totally see SFV be a slow burner, and if they advertise the single player content in June that could give the game a shot too.

Zophar

Like O said before, I could totally see SFV be a slow burner, and if they advertise the singlle player content in June that could give the game a shot too.

I'm foreseeing a new retail release coinciding with Season 2.

kirblar

Like O said before, I could totally see SFV be a slow burner, and if they advertise the singlle player content in June that could give the game a shot too.
EVO is going to be a hell of an ad.

harSon

Banned
I didnt need to MS said it for me.

Shifting away from dedicated hardware suggests that they're contracting the business and no longer releasing dedicated Xbox, when in reality they're expanding the platform offerings alongside an existing dedicated platform.

vin-buc

When will we know if Xbox 1 is still charting ahead of the 360 - when will that (if it does) change?

Xbox seriously needs a refresh AND major price drop (whether they can afford one or not). They are seemingly becoming irrelevant. Presently, there's a lot of non-positive talk about Microsoft and gaming in general by gamers especially the PC core. I hope they come out with something super special at E3 because they look dead and their business doesn't seem healthy (seem).

For SFV - does Sony have some fault in the low numbers? I mean they helped funding so they have some say in planning for release (this is a guess).

RexNovis

Banned
There are a lot of kids who are just becoming old enough for their parents to let them get GTA.

YOu know I'd actually be really curious to see a breakdown of GTAV sales by platform and a total attachment rate by platform. I'm sure it would be stupidly huge. It basically defies every market norm/expectation.

I mean, Nintendo also has experience putting the same boss battle 8 times in a game!

HAH! Oh snap!

RexNovis

Banned
I really hope that SF5 sales don't mean Capcom gives up or cuts their content plans short. The game is so good. So much better than SF4 ever was. I think the market is a lot different these days though. People were so hungry for a street fighter in 2009. That hunger was sated since then.

THis is my fear as well... Let us pray they stick to their guns on their promised support cycle.

An ad that only hits people who already own the game? Interesting strategy.

EVO is going to be one of the top Twitch streams during the time its on, people who generally don't play SF or fighting games in general will tune in when they see it in the DOTA 2/LOL range of current viewers to see what's up.

Wait, HW is down a good bit YoY, but PS4 is up YoY?

That really can't be good for MS.

It also appears that software sales could be down YOY as well if they are only referencing a YOY increase in "Xbox one exclusives" sales...

I mean, if software sales were up, you would think they would say that, and then say it was BECAUSE of their exclusives. They could have said "software sales on Xbox were up YOY led be the unmatched greatest lineup of Xbox exclusives in history" Or something like that..

EVO is going to be one of the top Twitch streams during the time its on, people who generally don't play SF or fighting games in general will tune in when they see it in the DOTA 2/LOL range of current viewers to see what's up.

Then they'll say, "Oh, it's fighting games", and go back to their usual streams.

RexNovis

Banned
Shifting away from dedicated hardware suggests that they're contracting the business and no longer releasing dedicated Xbox, when in reality they're expanding the platform offerings alongside an existing dedicated platform.

If you say so.

creamsugar

T3iZGuf.png

Sooo MS switch to MAU and hours spent PR is starting to make more sense now. They are obviously ok with the X1 cratering, and making moves to Windows 10 instead.

Between their PR, Windows 10 stuff, and the revisions to X1 talk sales of the X1 are going to plummet fast. No one at this point should buy a X1 until a clearer plan is announced.

Edit : Waka Waka Waka

Shadoken

What else is holding it back? I'd love to hear it

Oh i dont know why dont you ask those really angry users giving it 0s and 1s.
Would love to see how much an MK game would sell when it launches with 16 characters and No offline modes on a single platform. ( They already got the non-functioning Online mode bit right tho).

I didnt see any problem with SF4 or SSF4 matching or beating MK in sales.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
When will we know if Xbox 1 is still charting ahead of the 360 - when will that (if it does) change?

The 360 had a slow start and accelerated, the opposite of the XB1. They should cross paths in the next few years (launch aligned).

Top Bottom