• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

Esque7

Fire emblem really is doing great everywhere, and it hasn't even launched in EU yet! Wonder what it's lifetime sales will end up being. Maybe it'll reach 1.5 mill?

QaaQer

They should have released it in June with all the 6 dlc characters included, some new and polished stages and the story mode + trial.
16 characters with no offline mode and just a f2p system for 60$ is too much in 2016, no matter if you are street fighter.

Or sfv isn't cool in 2016? It is cartoony with a dash of animie and kinda late 80s. Capcom isn't a marketing powerhouse like WB.

Idk why people think it is some huge name that should be pulling millions 2016.

Soon to be news: Bomb Fighter V, Capcom halting all DLC development. Next year, SFVI coming out exclusively on Nintendo NX.

Man Capcom really fucking shit the bed in all respects.

Damn, I was expecting a "FIND OUT ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF DRAGON BALL Z" moment.
giphy.gif

Shadoken

Or sfv isn't cool in 2016? It is cartoony with a dash of animie and kinda late 80s. Capcom isn't a marketing powerhouse like WB.

Your post makes no sense when both SFxT and USF4 were able to sell much better just few years back. And animie also sells as shown by Naruto sales on this thread.

SFVs problems are far from brand related. And more to do with the fact that the game is ridiculously barebones.

orochi91

Sad that Capcom didn't bother waiting a couple more months before releasing the game.

That delay could have made all the difference in the world, with respect to getting more content completed for launch.

Rozart

Birthright?! Where are my Conquest peeps at?

Really, really happy at FE's success! Was expecting it do well but I was not expecting it blow Awakening's sales completely out of the water. 3x that of Awakening's debut sales. How fantastic is that.

Korosenai

SFV should have released this summer with all of the dlc characters and all the add on content already in the game for free.

Edit: not the game for free, just all the upcoming content.

donny2112

Since Nintendo's on the "count each main path of FE as a separate sale" train and the SE (both paths, not counting Rev, which is really DLC on cartridge there) sold 47.5K, that's ~360K copies of FE sold in the first month! Woo-hoo!

I'm responsible for 3 of those + 2 more digitally.

PS4 up YOY (> 342K)
XB1, WIU, 3DS each down YOY

PS4 > XB1 + WIU
PS4 < XB1 + WIU + 3DS

PS4 + WIU + XB1 = x
PS4 = 0.5604 x
XB1 = 0.3435 x
WIU = 0.0961 x

Handheld revenue down 58% YOY. No official price drops in the past year, so that should be analogous to hardware sales. Throw in some representative Vita sales, and 3DS may be ~165K.

Think that's all we know/can deduce on hardware. Will see if that helps crackdown to anything more solid over the night. (~_^)

ffdgh

Birthright?! Where are my Conquest peeps at?

Really, really happy at FE's success! Was expecting it do well but I was not expecting it blow Awakening's sales completely out of the water. 3x that of Awakening's debut sales. How fantastic is that.

Conquest player here...who am I kidding I bought it because birthright was out of stock. Still on birthright at the moment before I actually start conquest lol.

Also btw Nirolak about that "this is less than 351k" line for GTAV, you sure about keeping that there? It's obviously still true but now we clearly know NPD was not including Awakening bundles in that 3x figure.

(tbh even without knowing that it didn't make sense considering the PR said over triple, so GTAV could've also been over triple Awakening's first month sales as well)

Street Fighter charted lower than Naruto.

Damn.

This is all on Capcom. That's what they get for ignoring casuals on content while chasing esports by appealing the game to "hardcores" & rushing the game out of the door trying to get it out on time for fighting game tournaments.

jett

D-Member
Sad about SFV, but I'm not too worried. I think this game will have legs. It's the most fun I've had with Street Fighter in years. I think digital sales will be fairly significant (that's how I bought it). And I'm sure they'll have a few sales right around big content releases to lure in folks who need more single player stuff. The foundation is great! They just need to keep adding and drawing more people in.

I'm not worried about Street Fighter. I'm planning on buying it eventually but have no reason to buy it right now, and I think a lot of people are in the same boat. Its legs will surprise people, especially if they keep pumping out physical discs every year.

I too think it will have legs. Word of mouth about how the game plays is very strong, but lack of content and features literally greyed out is also spread very strongly. So it has a lot of people in your position I think.

Make no mistake though. They messed up and should have waited another month.

This game is currently #198 on Amazon's best selling video games chart.

"legs"

QaaQer

Your post makes no sense when both SFxT and USF4 were able to sell much better just few years back. And animie also sells as shown by Naruto sales on this thread.

SFVs problems are far from brand related. And more to do with the fact that the game is ridiculously barebones.

All I could find for Usf4 was capcom saying it sold 500k worldwide in the fiscal quater it was released. Sfxt is at 1.4, maybe teken is more popular?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Since Nintendo's on the "count each main path of FE as a separate sale" train and the SE (both paths, not counting Rev, which is really DLC on cartridge there) sold 47.5K, that's ~360K copies of FE sold in the first month! Woo-hoo!

I'm responsible for 3 of those + 2 more digitally.

Okay, I will bite.

I am sure that each "sale" counted by NPD are physical copies bought in store, and I am sure that the "under 400k" number touted by Nintendo is Physical copies + $40 digital version. What isn't counted is the $20 purchases, I think that at least internally, it is counted as DLC.

If those are counted, I am sure the Fire Emblem sales are way higher than 400k.

donny2112

Okay, I will bite.

I am sure that each "sale" counted by NPD are physical copies bought in store, and I am sure that the "under 400k" number touted by Nintendo is Physical copies + $40 digital version. What isn't counted is the $20 purchases, I think that at least internally, it is counted as DLC.

If those are counted, I am sure the Fire Emblem sales are way higher than 400k.

Makes sense. If the full priced digital did close to 80K, that'd be great! Still waiting for either one to show up on the 3DS All-Time Top 20 chart, but the threshold on that is probably over 80K by now. Going to be tough for one of them to get over 80K soon, but I'm waiting!

Seems the writing is on the wall for xbone. Even in the US it looks like it's about to get steamrolled. If anything I think things will get worse as well.

Also Nintendo really need to NX to pull through, their numbers are just getting ugly.

Capcom targeted 2m shipped as of Mar 31st.

Is that possible?

Well shipments are know to be well over sales and right now we can draw SFV sales at over 500k (possible 600-700k).

If it reach 1m sold at end of the month then the shipment will be north of 1.5m for sure and that means 2m shipped is not out of question.

My estimate for SFV shipped this quarter is 1.5-1.7m but I won't be surprise if Capcom reach it targets.

I don't think that's how shipping games works. Just because they have over shipped the game on opening week doesn't mean they can continue over shipping it from here on out. No way will SFV be able to eek its way to 1.5 million and have 2 million shipped. What incentive is there for retailers to keep over ordering by that much?

Unless SFV is somehow selling a ton in some smaller markets that we don't get numbers for I dont see how it makes that target.

Also I would say that there is a big gap between 1.5 million and 2 million. That's a quarter of all sales.

Ridley327

Forget millions for a bit, since the more pressing concern is that it can't even outsell a handheld SRPG with a slightly confusing release strategy in 2016.

Those SF5 numbers just made my jaw drop in complete disbelief.

donny2112

The "one console future" prophecy is coming to fruition.

It came to fruition in PS1/N64 generation.
It came to fruition in PS2/XBX/GCN generation.
It came to fruition in the first 4 years of the Wii/360/PS3 generation.
It's coming to fruition, again, with the PS4/XB1/WIU.

Welfare

The "one console future" prophecy is coming to fruition.

Dennis Dyack redeemed

This happened last year as well during multiple months. Wait until the end of the year before saying this stuff.

Repeat this every year where applicable.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SF5 < 210K

05A0ZGE.gif

Next time, Capcom: Have a fucking Versus CPU mode if you're going to throw the game out to tournament only players. At least those that don't play online/tournaments won't feel so burned. And I'm sitting here laughing at all the people that were like "BUT WHO CARES ABOUT THE OFFLINE MODES!? ONLINE! ONLINE! ONLINE!"

FF14 was overhauled majorly, and got a new release three years after it originally came out. Not exactly SFV's situation. DriveClub never reared its head again in NPD threads.
There is a whole world outside of the US....driveclub passed 2 million a long time ago.

vin-buc

It came to fruition in PS1/N64 generation.
It came to fruition in PS2/XBX/GCN generation.
It came to fruition in the first 4 years of the Wii/360/PS3 generation.
It's coming to fruition, again, with the PS4/XB1/WIU.

I was actually referring to no other boxes (soonish) - not just being the market leader. Obviously with a dash of theatre and an ol'school shout out.

QaaQer

Forget millions for a bit, since the more pressing concern is that it can't even outsell a handheld SRPG with a slightly confusing release strategy in 2016.

Those SF5 numbers just made my jaw drop in complete disbelief.

I just don't think first week sales are review dependent. If there was a big thirst for an SF game, there would have been lots of preorders and week one sales. After that, then yeah, word of mouth and reviews would have hurt.

entremet

FF14 was overhauled majorly, and got a new release three years after it originally came out. Not exactly SFV's situation. DriveClub never reared its head again in NPD threads.
Yep. Drive club was a bomb. It only got better qualitatively, not sales wise.

At this point the PS4 is the John Cena of this hardware gen.

It makes things kinda dull and predictable because you know its going to keep on winning.... But then you get that one upset now and then which adds a spark of excitement.

Blame Nintendo & Microsoft for fucking up on their console reveals.

Bluenoser

I understand Microsoft PR has limited options for their spin, but why do they have to outright lie at the very beginning of their statement? "The unmatched lineup of games available on Xbox One..." Unmatched? Really? Because to me it's a pretty ordinary lineup of games, with many notable omissions, particularly from the Indie community.

Results as expected as far as GTAV and COD in the top 3. Not sure how I feel about SF5. On the one hand I wanted to see it do well, but on the other, developers need to learn that they can't sell half finished games for full price, even if they are promising free content down the line.

Top Bottom