• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

A.E Suggs

Exactly.

I love the game but I'm worried about the series.

I remember people saying it would be fine and I retorted with the argument you made.

You cannot get bad word of mouth in this connected era.

I'm not worried, if capcom lets the series die so be it. S SF5 itself will do just fine for tournies. Capcom fucked up, and I'm honestly didn't want another SF game anyway, I want another capcom fighting all stars done right.

entremet

I'm not worried, if capcom lets the series die so be it. S SF5 itself will do just fine for tournies. Capcom fucked up, and I'm honestly didn't want another SF game anyway, I want another capcom fighting all stars done right.
SF is their flagship fighter.

If SF doesn't sell, they're not making any other fighters. No versus games. Nothing.

This is why appealing to bigger audience other than tournament players is important.

Welfare

I understand Microsoft PR has limited options for their spin, but why do they have to outright lie at the very beginning of their statement? "The unmatched lineup of games available on Xbox One..." Unmatched? Really? Because to me it's a pretty ordinary lineup of games, with many notable omissions, particularly from the Indie community.

PS4 doesn't have MS exclusives, so they aren't lying there.

Yep. Drive club was a bomb. It only got better qualitatively, not sales wise.

If you are talking NPD only .
DC did over 2 million near a year ago and with sales and extra content i sure it pick up more .
Still DC did good in EU and i not sure that will really help SFV that much .

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Actually, I looked at Japan's sales. FE if's last number was over 530,000 physical copies in Japan.

So combined USA + JPN should put the physical sales near 900,000. I am being super conservative here since the actual numbers are probably higher, especially if you include digital sales.

Raw64life

Hopefully this makes Capcom re-think their "we're never releasing any Super/Turbo editions of the game" stance. People want complete games.

entremet

If you are talking NPD only .
DC did over 2 million near a year ago and with sales and extra content i sure it pick up more .
Still DC did good in EU and i not sure that will really help SFV that much .

I stand corrected.

Didn't they layoff some portion of Evolution, though?

Petrae

Capcom got exactly what it deserved with that SFV sales figure: It targeted a small, dedicated audience... and that's pretty much who bought it. Narrow audience, narrow sales.

No sympathy at all. You reap what you sow. If Capcom wants the e-Sports crowd, all power to Capcom... but many other people aren't and won't ever be interested in SFV with its new focus.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think that's how shipping games works. Just because they have over shipped the game on opening week doesn't mean they can continue over shipping it from here on out. No way will SFV be able to eek its way to 1.5 million and have 2 million shipped. What incentive is there for retailers to keep over ordering by that much?

Unless SFV is somehow selling a ton in some smaller markets that we don't get numbers for I dont see how it makes that target.

Also I would say that there is a big gap between 1.5 million and 2 million. That's a quarter of all sales.
If SFV sales reach 1m at end of this month then there is no way they shipped less than 1.5m... 500k on shelves WW is low for software... you can take PS4 example where it have 1-1.5m on shelves WW and it is way bigger than a retail game to stores stock... I will be surprised if a store have more PS4 units than SFV copies to sell.

05A0ZGE.gif

Next time, Capcom: Have a fucking Versus CPU mode if you're going to throw the game out to tournament only players. At least those that don't play online/tournaments won't feel so burned. And I'm sitting here laughing at all the people that were like "BUT WHO CARES ABOUT THE OFFLINE MODES!? ONLINE! ONLINE! ONLINE!"

52251007.jpg

A.E Suggs

SF is their flagship fighter.

If SF doesn't sell, they're not making any other fighters. No versus games. Nothing.

This is why appealing to bigger audience other than tournament players is important.

That's exactly why I said so be it, if SF does well all they'll make is more SF games. Besides I don't think they completely will give up on fighters even if SF bombs, they don't give up on action games even after the RE6 bomb and their other niche action games like DMC and remember me that tanked.

I understand Microsoft PR has limited options for their spin, but why do they have to outright lie at the very beginning of their statement? "The unmatched lineup of games available on Xbox One..." Unmatched? Really? Because to me it's a pretty ordinary lineup of games, with many notable omissions, particularly from the Indie community.

It's called puffery. Companies do it all the time.

Ridley327

They were hiring late last year, and even a few months after the layoff, so who knows at this point.

I imagine that they're pretty evenly split right now between continued DC support and working on DCVR. I'm not sure when the latter is supposed to be launching, but I doubt that the team is going to be working on a new MotorStorm anytime soon.

leroidys

That hardware drop is worrying.
Capcom got exactly what it deserved with that SFV sales figure: It targeted a small, dedicated audience... and that's pretty much who bought it. Narrow audience, narrow sales.

No sympathy at all. You reap what you sow. If Capcom wants the e-Sports crowd, all power to Capcom... but many other people aren't and won't ever be interested in SFV with its new focus.

By all accounts SFV is the most noob friendly game in the series.

Not excusing the lack of content though.

SFV numbers are higher then I predicted but vastly lower then what I initially pegged it as pre-launch.

I don't think they'll meet their target by FY2016 but I do think they can still make a recovery if they pump out the content on time as per the release schedule.

Edit: It'll also be interesting to see what Capcom expected of the game, what they thought the could get away with and so on.

Dame

Maybe one day Capcom can make a fighting game that can sell as well as Naruto.
Would anybody in the past have ever seen this post coming and believe it wasn't a joke post? What a time to be alive. Damn capcom.

Congratulations to FE fates. Don't agree with the black/white monetidation, but still suckered myself into the sweet special edition cus' I'm a hypocrite.

I think that fact shows that you have to cater to the "casuals" , SFV fucked up.
Enh. You might be right. Might not be the case. People probably see the birthright guys as good-guy heroes with a samurai who are terrorized or something. Who doesn't want to play as the apparently marketed peaceful folk?

There's the PS4, and then there's everything else. Easy to see why MS and Nintendo are focusing on PC/NX for the future.

Good for Fire Emblem. I'm still on Birthright and will probably be playing these games for awhile.

Hopefully this makes Capcom re-think their "we're never releasing any Super/Turbo editions of the game" stance. People want complete games.

What? Hell no! They can release a "complete" edition or whatever with the extra content on disk or as download but they better not try and sell an updated version to people who have already pruchased the game. Bloody hell.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

Results as expected as far as GTAV and COD in the top 3. Not sure how I feel about SF5. On the one hand I wanted to see it do well, but on the other, developers need to learn that they can't sell half finished games for full price, even if they are promising free content down the line.

I dont get people complaining about PR. What do people expect MS to come out and say? " We are very happy and thankful to our fans for not purchasing our software and hardware in enough numbers? "

entremet

What? Hell no! They can release a "complete" edition or whatever with the extra content on disk or as download but they better not try and sell an updated version to people who have already pruchased the game. Bloody hell.
They said they would not.

However, that does not preclude releasing a disc based on with the added content.

They're not fragmenting the base like they did with Vanilla and Super.

That's exactly why I said so be it, if SF does well all they'll make is more SF games. Besides I don't think they completely will give up on fighters even if SF bombs, they don't give up on action games even after the RE6 bomb and their other niche action games like DMC and remember me that tanked.

RE6 didn't really bomb though. Sold about 6.4 million copies, according to Capcom. Critically, it did, but commercially, nope.

maxiell

Driveclub would be the best example. New content, sales, etc... can give SFV much needed oomph.

Driveclub never sold in the U.S. SFV underperformed even worse.

There is a point of not wanting to throw good money after bad. It had very little to do with content offerings at launch. They made a game that plays well that no one had any interest in. It's time to cut their losses and use their staff on some titles that might actually sell.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Fantastic numbers for Fire Emblem.

Love that series. Hoping Nintendo shares DLC numbers in their Q4 results.

Driveclub never sold in the U.S. SFV underperformed even worse.

There is a point of not wanting to throw good money after bad. It had very little to do with content offerings at launch. They made a game that plays well that no one had any interest in. It's time to cut their losses and use their staff on some titles that might actually sell.

??

Hypothetically, SFV with post-launch support has more markets it can appeal to then DC did with just Europe.

ethomaz

Banned
I found a official example of shipped vs sold.

GT5 shipped 1.58m units in December 2010 (NA).
GT5 sold 560.5k units in December 2010 (US).

Even if you estimate Canada sales the difference between shipment and sales are near 1m.

I won't be surprised if Capcom reach the 2m target... and it is not a overshipment case... that is the normal for sofyware (remeber U3 shipping 3.4m day one while not selling anything close that at day one).

Bluenoser

I dont get people complaining about PR. What do people expect MS to come out and say? " We are very happy and thankful to our fans for not purchasing our software and hardware in enough numbers? "

I don't get the point of misleading, confusing PR. Nintendo is in last place every month, and they don't resort to this.

Top Bottom