• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

Welfare

Damn, I really didn't expect the PS4 to exceed 400K in February. Pretty impressive. March will be interesting to see if The Division can keep the XB1 flat YoY at least.

I expect March to be at worst flat. Division is going to sell consoles, lots of consoles.

Also doesn't hurt that there is a $349 White model bundle with Quantum Break that falls in the March reporting period.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Are bundled sales included in that 315,000 Fire Emblem Fates units? If not, then it nearly sold 3.5 times more than Fire Emblem: Awakening (bundles excluded).

There was no bundle for Fire Emblem Fates.

also lol at Project X Zone, the launch timing did it no favors either

Yeah, looks like the NPD is listing the Special edition separately if I'm reading it right going by cream, with it counting as one game. To think that this franchise less than 15 years ago was not being acknowledged outside Japan whatsoever, not even with Melee at that time.

FE ~ 315
B 44%
C 41%
Special 15%

PXZ2 ~ 18

Javin98

Banned
I expect March to be at worst flat. Division is going to sell consoles, lots of consoles.

Also doesn't hurt that there is a $349 White model bundle with Quantum Break that falls in the March reporting period.
Yep, judging by the fact that The Divison seems to be a big success with the QB bundle pre orders factored in, the XB1 should be flat YoY at worst. If it's still down significantly (10% or more), I don't even know what to say, honestly. But for now, I think the PS4 will still take March, albeit with a smaller gap than the previous two months.

This would be the third February.

PS2 [2003] = 487k

PS3 [2009] = 276k
Not bad, the PS4's third February isn't too far off the PS2's third February.

I see a demo happening very soon if sales continue to be low.
Awesome avatar btw...but they are probably going to do a free to play, but waiting until there's a bit more content. Right now, you would piss off the people who bought the game with any type of free to play. I would say next year is more likely.

I dont see that doing it, nah. Never know though

And by that time there will be newer and bigger games out to grab consumer's attention. Never know it may very slowly leg out a little bit. I just wouldn't put any faith into some kind of mind blowing turn around

Games in general? Yes. Fighting games? Not really. Even with as poorly as it has sold, there isn't going to be another high profile fighting game coming into the market until whenever Namco decides to release Tekken.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
February has taken off in the past few years in the US because more and more people who are eligible for a tax refund do it as soon as their w-2 comes in and spend it on consumer goods.

This wasn't even a noticeable bump ten years ago but now you can see it.

Lego Marvel Avengers (PS4, 360, Xbox One, Wii U, PS3, 3DS, Vita)

Looks like that timed exclusive content is working. Which means it'll keep on coming.

Yaaaaay. :|

Busaiku

February has taken off in the past few years in the US because more and more people who are eligible for a tax refund do it as soon as their w-2 comes in and spend it on consumer goods.

This wasn't even a noticeable bump ten years ago but now you can see it.
Nintendo's also been doing some of their bigger launches in February now.

Wow PS4 over 400k in feb? Tim Dog is rolling in his grave right now.
Mooch must be having a heart attack and trying to make up an analogy on how playstation is winning is a bad thing. Two 40 year old virgins crying about video games.
LOL Those idiots

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yep, judging by the fact that The Divison seems to be a big success with the QB bundle pre orders factored in, the XB1 should be flat YoY at worst. If it's still down significantly (10% or more), I don't even know what to say, honestly. But for now, I think the PS4 will still take March, albeit with a smaller gap than the previous two months.

Not bad, the PS4's third February isn't too far off the PS2's third February.

Yea barring some kind of epic collapse or amazing turn around from Nintendo or MS...its safe to say PS4 will do 100 million sold.

And I have no words for GTA V and Minecraft. MAU god those games will never die. GTA 6 is going to have some big shoes to fill.

My problem is pointless concern posts like this

That contribute nothing to the discussion. In fact, most of the time (including this time) they completely ignore the context in order to paint a pessimistic picture that doesnt actually exist. FUD has no place in a sales discussion.

I really cant believe ppl posting with a consoles are dying angle are serious. If so...seems many dont read the thread or enough of it.

Its just that this gen Sony is in the driver's seat with MS and Nintendo trying to keep up. Who would have thought this gen would go this way coming off last gen?

GTA 6 is going to have some big shoes to fill.

What's the point in wasting money for developing GTA 6 if V sells like crazy?!

Stop buying GTA V, you idiots! Man, need to play V Remaster on my PS4 to calm down right now (or if that one's occupied, the original one on my PS3)...

My problem is pointless concern posts like this

That contribute nothing to the discussion. In fact, most of the time (including this time) they completely ignore the context in order to paint a pessimistic picture that doesnt actually exist. FUD has no place in a sales discussion.

But there is a pessimistic outlook on the long term health of the traditional market. Short term it's relatively ok. Long term? Not so much

jroc74

What's the point in wasting money for developing GTA 6 if V sells like crazy?!

Stop buying GTA V, you idiots! Man, need to play V Remaster on my PS4 to calm down right now (or if that one's occupied, the original one on my PS3)...

lol, true. I actually thought about it like this while posting. GTA V has a chance to still be in the top 10 when GTA 6 comes out.

That is too much to wrap my head around.

The_R3medy_

Neo Member
Wow crazy to see Far Cry Primal so high and SFV so low. Would have loved to see PvZGW2 on the list, but damn did that game get 0 advertising.

jroc74

But there is a pessimistic outlook on the long term health of the traditional market. Short term it's relatively ok. Long term? Not so much

But with Nintendo and MS seemingly about to go untraditional with their next home consoles and they way they view console generations....the traditional market and console generation might just be Sony's from here on out.

A niche game like Xenoblade is very frontloaded. I doubt it'll ever pass 300k in the US. Love the game though and hope for story continuation.

no, even Bayonetta 2 almost tripled its LTD from the first month, sure XCX launched in December instead but even then it won't be that frontloaded

RexNovis

Banned
Wow PS4 over 400k in feb? Tim Dog is rolling in his grave right now.
Mooch must be having a heart attack and trying to make up an analogy on how playstation is winning is a bad thing. Two 40 year old virgins crying about video games.
LOL Those idiots

TBQH you sound just as bad relishing in it. There's no need to bring them up in here. Pretty much being just as immature as they are for rubbing it in their faces and going na ni na ni boo boo.

Bruno MB

ROTW has gotten bigger in the 7 years since SFV as well. While I don't know if they'll meet that 2 million target (it probably depends on how willing they are to aggressively drop the price), I think it'll probably get closer to 1.5 million than the 1.25 you're thinking.

Since we are talking about Capcom (they had no rival when it comes to channel stuffing) I would say that you will probably be right. In fact, I also predict 1.5 million units shipped including digital by the end of March.

For example, Street Fighter X Tekken launch sales are in line (a bit higher, but not by much) with Street Fighter V, and it managed to ship 1.4 million units in its first month. Of course, the channel stuffing was so big that it only shipped 300,000 additional units during its lifetime.

No, the bundle is about 25k.

Thanks!

Sydle

OMG, I hope Street Fighter picks up steam. I don't want Capcom to get scared about making another one or revisiting games like Darkstalkers.

But with Nintendo and MS seemingly about to go untraditional with their next home consoles and they way they view console generations....the traditional market and console generation might just be Sony's from here on out.

No, Sony is going to be looking into the same things that Nintendo and Microsoft are, and they've said as much. That isn't the point though. As has been discussed many times in these threads, the long term health involves churn. It involves appealing to the young to graduate them into an ecosystem of 30-60 dollar titles. It involves appealing to the mass market and not just a smaller subset of more and more insular/consolidated players and genres. It involves more than continuing to further monetize those players to make up for the loss of much of that mass market. But we shall see if all 3 creating ecosystems that are still closed staves any of that off. PC works for that because it is open. Mobile works for that because of the sheer ubiquity of said devices.

RexNovis

Banned
I really cant believe ppl posting with a consoles are dying angle are serious. If so...seems many dont read the thread or enough of it.

Its just that this gen Sony is in the driver's seat with MS and Nintendo trying to keep up. Who would have thought this gen would go this way coming off last gen?

It happens literally any time there is even a hint of a decline. Its become an expected event really. They completely disregard any and all context for the numbers in an effort to inform everyone how "worrying" or "concerning" it is and yet when things are actually up they are nowehere to be seen. So the quesiton is why read so much into negative numbers and ignore positive ones? Well because they don't fit the FUD they are trying to dish out.

OMG, I hope Street Fighter picks up steam. I don't want Capcom to get scared about making another one or revisiting games like Darkstalkers.

Realistically a newer Street Fighter wasn't going to be made for another 5+ years. SF4 lasted what, 7 years? The base game is done and it was always presented as a service style model, buy the base game, buy DLC's over the years to add more characters and modes. I think the game will be fine over the long term but the short term sales are pretty bad.

Now a game like Darkstalkers, if it was being planned, is probably fucked. But last I heard about that franchise, the piss poor sales of the Darkstalkers HD remade pretty much killed off any hope of a sequel before SF5's poor performance did.

fernoca

A niche game like Xenoblade is very frontloaded. I doubt it'll ever pass 300k in the US. Love the game though and hope for story continuation.

no, even Bayonetta 2 almost tripled its LTD from the first month, sure XCX launched in December instead but even then it won't be that frontloaded
Exactly.
It could be front loaded, but not to the point of not managing to reach 300k ...ever. That would recquire for the game to literally stop selling.

Putting the "over 200k" at 210k in December, 90k in the 2 NPDs since then wouldn't be crazy and have already the game at 300k by the end of February (with a 75% decline from December to January).

Then add digital sales, plus combine the Wii U version selling more in one month what the 3DS port sold in 10 months.

Even if it's not 300k now it should be quite close; and will pass that number.

RexNovis

Banned

But thats not the argument being made the argument being put forward is: "oh look at these numbers they are so bad yall should be worried. for realz" which is ridiculous. If they actually wanted to have conversation about the overrall health of the industry long term that would be fine and they would actually say that. But thats not the goal. That much is obvious form the driveby troll posts followed by their quick disappearance into the ether only to be seen in sales threads again the next time "declining sales" signal is lit in the sky.

$60 for standard
$99 for CE *

* I checked and it is a Collector Edition and not Limted Edition.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014PCUKJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well that clears that up. CHeers!

Maybe they are aware that Sony would just follow right away. And given certain recent events, I have no doubt that XBOX division's time of not having to look at things like marginal return are over.

Have you ever looked into game theory? Because if Microsoft chooses to stay put, they get creamed regardless of what Sony does. Their down in their top market year over year. That's all that matters.

Ps, I'm looking at it purely from a sales angle.

A price drop probably wont do a whole lot. The mindshare has changed tides, MS needs something fresh to shake it up. Price drops only cary you so far when you aren't the market leader

Massa

An interesting exercise if someone has too much time on their hands is to track the mentions of "Windows 10" in these little PR statements over the last few months. I expect we'll see more and more of it.

TBQH you sound just as bad relishing in it. There's no need to bring them up in here. Pretty much being just as immature as they are for rubbing it in their faces and going na ni na ni boo boo.

Who cares. get over it, if you dont like it skip over the post.
Like I said let them soak in their tears. They are idiots they deserve to be called out. Ill call them out everytime.

GHG

Gold Member
That PR from Microsoft...

And people are still in denial about the fact that they are clearly moving away from dedicated hardware.

as always thanks all sales gaf for the numbers and insight.

man, to me nintendo is always an unknown quantity specially its handheld is gonna screw up my prediction numbers.

i see Arslan: The Warriors of Legend putting in a lot of work in february for the ps4
eeffbeddcf47544b1458bd91d0c7b06d.png

An interesting exercise if someone has too much time on their hands is to track the mentions of "Windows 10" in these little PR statements over the last few months. I expect we'll see more and more of it.

Yep no doubt. The messaging is becoming pretty clear

Top Bottom