• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
2) There has been such a drought of good first party exclusive content. We could argue the last amazing First party game was bloodborne.
What's the relevance of this?

I think people are underestimating the appeal of a franchise like Uncharted to casual audiences that were not as big a part for PS3 as they are to PS4, and the rise in popularity and reputation of Naughty Dog after The Last of Us
Uncharted 3 was as big as The Last of Us.

Draxal

Awakenign did 1.79 million LT by end of 2014... and yeah, it will most likely sell 2 million.

If Awakening sell 2 million, no way Fates sell less than that. I can see 2.5 million LT, ship + digital.

Awakening was very close to 2 million according to the bio of the singer for the japanese version of last year, so it's probably very close or passed it by now.

I think the biggest factors are PS4's install base, Uncharted Collection promotion last holiday, successful betas and the sure to be strong advertisement.

2) There has been such a drought of good first party exclusive content. We could argue the last amazing First party game was bloodborne.
I think this is mostly irrelevant.

No it certainly was not, UC3 did around 700k and TLOU close to a million first month. Of course that was 700k too many for UC3 but that's another story.

I meant popularity and reputation. Unless there is somehow a hidden argument that reputation somehow has geographical borders or something.

Not a clue what you're on about, but I'm happy for you. :)

benny_a

No it certainly was not, UC3 did around 700k and TLOU close to a million first month. Of course that was 700k too many for UC3 but that's another story.
I meant popularity and reputation. Unless there is somehow a hidden argument that reputation somehow has geographical borders or something.

Not a clue what you're on about, but I'm happy for you. :)
How about your check the quote I used. Those words are in that quote so if you can't figure out what is meant then you suck at the English language and I am not happy for you because that's essential on GAF.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Remember Uncharted 3 released in November, and with 4 weeks including Black Friday.
So, is not impossible for Uncharted 4 sell less than Uncharted 3... but most likely it will.

Just don't underestimate The Division, this game is a monster.
Awakening was very close to 2 million according to the bio of the singer for the japanese version of last year, so it's probably very close or passed it by now.

Passed or not, it's close to 2 million more or less.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
You all are gonna be quoted in the wall of shame I'm gonna create when May NPD results hits.

colbert-popcorn.gif

Do you expect Uncharted to underperformance or The Division to sell absolutely insane?

Most likely this. Some of you might be underestimating just how big that game is gonna be. Console audiences are way too thirsty for games like that.

Right. I'd expect UC4 to have the best UC month 1 ever, but still be dwarfed. Could be wrong.

If that does happen, I hope Rex doesn't get himself perm'd.

ethomaz

Banned
Put me in the camp of all console versions of Division selling significantly more month 1 than UC4. Probably won't even be close.
I'm don't think a single platform of Division breaking 1m.

U4 will break 1 million.

PS. NPD.

I'm with you, i think The Division first month is gonna be literally insane. Should be close to the first month of Destiny on current gen.
Destiny didn't break 1m in a single platform.

So, been thinking about the SF5 thing a bunch. Anyone else notice that the SF5 fanbase is using many of the same arguments the Halo 5 crowd used after its launch month numbers came out?

Couple things I take away from that is: 1) Everyone's people, whether Sony or MS fan, 2) Never number your game with a "5", 3) I don't think I've seen Halo 5 mentioned in this thread once.

U4 will break 1 million.

PS. NPD.

I believe the gauntlet has been thrown, gentlepeople.

I think The Division having the bigger opening month is the safe bet. UC4 will be the biggest Uncharted launch because of the remaster collection, the open beta, great reviews and a big marketing push from Sony.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

U4 will break 1 million.

PS. NPD.

Destiny didn't break 1m in a single platform.

Including bundle, the PS4 version was well over 1 million.

EDIT: You edited. :D

Here my predictions:

(PS4) Uncharted 4 - 900,000
(PS4) The Division - 900,000
(XBO) The Division - 800,000

Loudninja

hmm I know this is WW but It should do well in the US
As you know, Naughty Dog is wrapping up production on Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End with the game on track to go gold and into production later this month. In an effort to meet the considerable worldwide demand, and to ensure that all gamers worldwide have the opportunity to play the game on day one, we have chosen to postpone the launch of the game by two weeks to allow for extra manufacturing time.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/03/01/new-release-date-for-uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end/

benny_a

So, been thinking about the SF5 thing a bunch. Anyone else notice that the SF5 fanbase is using many of the same arguments the Halo 5 crowd used after its launch month numbers came out?

Couple things I take away from that is: 1) Everyone's people, whether Sony or MS fan, 2) Never number your game with a "5", 3) I don't think I've seen Halo 5 mentioned in this thread once.
Accepting that the stuff you're into is not what the market is into is hard.

We've had several years of seeing cool games not selling and the same franchises dominating the year end sales and the shrinking of importance of consoles to the overall video game industry.

For years I've said the only thing one can do is to hope that publishers agree that a diversified portfolio is worth it and to enjoy the ride until it ends soonish. (Used to be soon, but the PS4 has pushed it a bit out for traditional packaged games IMO.)

Envious are the people whose taste align with the games that are created based on the chosen strategy of the huge publishers.

Less than 700k for sure, probably around 550K.

That would be awful, my feeling is that 700k would be worst case scenario. More than anything, a marketing blitz can push any game as shown by the likes of Destiny that piece of shit. Sony have already pushed UC4 hard and it's only going to ramp up, not to Destiny levels of course but could easily see UC4 being the most money Sony have ever put into advertising a game.

If I'm honest, I think the game is going to ship 4 million by the end of month 1, this game has more going for it than any other title Sony have under their belt. Sony usually give PR for a game after about the first month so yep, 4 million month one shipped worldwide and 1 million sold during NPD launch month including bundles.

If the game ends up shit though, could not fucking care less then but I can't see that happening.

That sounded like nothing more than a throw away line unless Kaz is personally pressing the discs himself. Bollocks excuse but hey, it's a new one.

Sterok

I don't think exclusives selling worse has anything to do with exclusives being less popular this gen, at least on PS and XB. It's just that there's a lot more third party games obviously, and a lot of the exclusives have their own individual issues. Halo was apparently in a franchise-wide rut, and Street Fighter's issues are well documented at this point. Street Fighter being exclusive wouldn't stop it from selling 500K. It being half-baked in a less popular genre kept it from selling well.

Ricky_R

Sony thought if they just printed 500 copies they would be good. Come on, seems pretty clearly that is PR spin.

Yeah. Demand is definitely high, but I have a hard time believing that it caught Sony with their pants down.

We're talking about ND's follow up to TLOU and arguably Sony's biggest franchise. You would think that Sony would more than prepared.

M.D

TLOU did outsell UC3 by more than 200k the first month it came out, and I'm pretty it has higher LTD sales as well (pretty positive about this, unless UC3 was massively bundled in the US)

As far as popularity and reputation - I don't know that there's any real way to quantify this, but for me seeing the reaction to TLOU with things like the very fast (and successful) remastered edition, quick movie announcement, One Night Live, the awards it won both as an individual game and for Neil Druckmann (and others involved in the making of the game) and the fame it brought Neil, as well how massively popular it is on YouTube and the the streaming community in general...
I have no doubt in my mind that TLOU is more popular and well regarded by both gamers and especially the more casual crowd than Uncharted ever was, and that Naughty Dog is more popular and highly regarded for it

Team UC4

Yeah. anecdotal I know, but many platstation gamers I know pretty much buy a handful of games a year, with a not insignificant number only owning less than 8 games the entire consoles lifetime.

Meanwhile Outside the obvious COD+FIFA(I supposed that would be NBA/Madden in the US) crowd, the majority of Xbox gamers I know really buy into the brand, picking up a new title almost every month.

I dont feel that the SW metrics will favour PS4 until if and when it has a significant userbase advantage. I would argue that wont be until the gap is 2-2.5 million. Tie ratio wise, the XB1 will probably have the highest the rest of the generation. So thats something for Microsoft ar least.

Will do. It is kinda fucking me up that there is not motions or cancels in the game. But footises and baiting mistakes kinda translates well. Shame about the 30FPS though.

mostly just playing story mode at the moment, not really ready for online.

There are combo cancels.

I'm basing my perdition on Amazon, Uncharted 4 isn't doing that hot in Amazon.

I may be remembering wrong, but didn't rex reason something similar with hardline

it's really hard to quote you lol

I think it [uncharted] will do at least 800k

on an unrelated note, i think no man sky will do at least 400k

The relevance is there is a demand for a big budget AAA first party title that hasnt been fufilled since this time last year.

That can only help uncharted 4s sales. On the system there is nothing comparable in the pipeline or has come out recently.

What's the reasoning for such low UC4 numbers?

Because it's May? Wouldn't that just be more on the hardware side of things or does software take a considerable hit too.

The idea that UC4 debuts to less then UC3 seems insane to me.

Top Bottom