• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

The God

Cer3oUzWwAAY9F5.jpg
Sony seems to be going ham for UC4 marketing. Wasn't there a bet earlier that UC4 wouldn't open bigger than 700k?

RexNovis

Banned
UC4 is going to do a million, easily. It's already in Amazons top 25 and there are still 5 weeks to go until release.

Look upon my tag ye fool and despair.

Amazon software charts mean almost nothing. Amazing how this has to be reiterated in every single NPD thread along with "NPD doesnt factor bundles in software splits." Never fails.

I hear you brother. But think a bit about Joe Rustbelt consumer, shopping at Walmart. Box says 4K, the price is right, that's what gets bought. A majority of consumers don't care or know the difference in the techno mumbo jumbo you're saying.

Adoption rates of 4K TVs are way beyond anything the available content would make reasonable.

Been a while since Sony had a new format to push like UHD Blu Ray too.

In any case, I doubt existing PS4 owners with a 1080p set will be at all disadvantaged by this.

They have to market this new box basically perfectly. Make it sound like a worthwhile upgrade without alienating the existing base. Sony marketers will be earning their money this year that's for sure.

You also have to believe the NX is this year.

And that it will actually be a competitive console.

You go to bed with questions
You wake up and get answers.
Thank you, you are all awesome

Still don't think it's good for Sony to go to E3 with two huge hardware themes.
VR is a lock and perfectly timed so far.
But adding PS4.5 stuff means splitting attention. Can't be wanted.

Sony seems to be going ham for UC4 marketing. Wasn't there a bet earlier UC4 wouldn't open bigger than 700k?
Seems like pic was taken in germany (Town?)
Any spectacular ads in the US?

RexNovis

Banned
Uncharted 4 fun fact:

In Japan it actually has a different subtitle.

Translated back into English its Uncharted 4: The Pirate King and the Last Treasure. Pirates and treasure are pretty damn popular in japan what with One Piece being the most popular thing since steamed rice so makes sense they would want to make the association as clear as possible.

Its also being advertised pretty heavily here from what I've seen. Not entirely sure how popular the series is here though.

I realize this almost completely off topic but I just found this out and thought it was interesting so bite me :p

Look upon my tag ye fool and despair.

Amazon software charts mean almost nothing. Amazing how this has to be reiterated in every single NPD thread along with "NPD doesnt factor bundles in software splits." Never fails.

UC4 will sell millions guarentee, but it got nothing to do with Amazon chart...
I know Amazon is a very small piece of the pie but I just wanted to mention it to show that people are aware of the game and that there is a demand for it.

I still find it it hard to believe that God Of War III is the only PlayStation exclusive game to accomplish a million debut on NPD. UC4 will surely be the second.

With bundles I think it's MGS4 and TLOU also but even then having only 3 exclusives is pretty bad when you compare it to their competition.

Kayant

Anyone watched this yet?

Xbox One: Did you know?

Look at this gem of PR.
Xbox One is the only system with every top ten best-selling console game from 2015

Full Year:
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Activision Blizzard | Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  2. Madden NFL 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  3. Fallout 4 (Bethesda Softworks | PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  4. Star Wars: Battlefront (Electronic Arts | Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One) 360, PS3, PC)
  6. NBA 2K16 (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  7. Minecraft (Microsoft | 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
  8. FIFA 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  9. Mortal Kombat X (Warner Bros | PS4, Xbox One)
  10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Activision Blizzard | Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)

Coming back to a previous point, maybe a stupid question :

Will 4K really be this huge?

I mean, HD was great on so many levels:

- Far, far better picture
- 16:9 instead of 4:3 (that was amazing)
- Goodbye ugly Braun's tube cube, hello flatscreen
- Cool smart-TV-apps I never used

Will 4K deliver such a huge progress? Low Definition to HD felt like VHS to DVD, but now I just don't feel the excitement (yet).

How huge is "this huge"?

Adoption's going well. An installed base brings more content. More content brings more adoption.

So, early signs point to 4K going mainstream.

On the other hand, nothing will get ISP data caps in place faster than the streaming of 4k content. Also, native 4k games will bring back the disc in a big way given the file sizes.

That is, if anyone can afford to make games in 4k.

So. Who knows!

How huge is "this huge"?

Adoption's going well. An installed base brings more content. More content brings more adoption.

So, early signs point to 4K going mainstream.

On the other hand, nothing will get ISP data caps in place faster than the streaming of 4k content. Also, native 4k games will bring back the disc in a big way given the file sizes.

That is, if anyone can afford to make games in 4k.

So. Who knows!
Thanks Mr. Queso.
I guess you're right. Sometimes I don't get consumer demands (SUVs, Dobermann dogs, knitable rubberband bracelets) but it's there. Maybe nihilism or just early senility.

So bring it on.

Abdiel

How are the preorders for Quantum Break by now?

Someone with first hand info (like abdiel) could tell us a little...

It's gotten a bit more attention, but not a ton. The ads are rolling out finally, but if you visit the big sites, it's fighting against other ad space, so that makes a difference.

Dunno. It sounds like they've made a solid game, but I'm not sure if people beyond the remedy faithful are onboard yet. Reviews will probably help a lot? Maybe?

I tell you what is flying under the radar, is the game I had to have shipped to my house today, nights of azure. Obscure jrpg goodness, woo.

I'll have to get stuff like Nights of Azure down the road. Too many games coming.

It's gotten a bit more attention, but not a ton. The ads are rolling out finally, but if you visit the big sites, it's fighting against other ad space, so that makes a difference.

Dunno. It sounds like they've made a solid game, but I'm not sure if people beyond the remedy faithful are onboard yet. Reviews will probably help a lot? Maybe?

I tell you what is flying under the radar, is the game I had to have shipped to my house today, nights of azure. Obscure jrpg goodness, woo.
How are Ratchet and Clank doing?

Stanng243

Thank you for the insight. What is Nights of Azure? I hadn't heard much about it other then the drop post this week.

Always happy about your reports from the real world, Abdiel. It's like the letters from uncle travelling Matt.
How is Pokken doing?
Also: Do you think it's a missed opportunity not to have Dead or Alive in retail?

donny2112

Donny. I swear, If you don't make the March NPD predictions thread NOW, ... you better do it. :p

/K

5 week months. Stretches things out. Saw the XB1 with Quantum Break for $299 in Target's ad for 4/3-9. Did XB1 get an official price cut to $299?

Edit:
Okay, apparently, it's some kind of "limited time (but we'll probably make it permanent later *wink, wink*)" deal. link

Welfare

5 week months. Stretches things out. Saw the XB1 with Quantum Break for $299 in Target's ad for 4/3-9. Did XB1 get an official price cut to $299?

Edit:
Okay, apparently, it's some kind of "limited time (but we'll probably make it permanent later *wink, wink*)" deal. link

At Gamestop and most likely everywhere else, it's ending on April 30th, so right at the end of the April NPD. It also started on the 21st.

But yeah, most likely they'll "officially" announce the price drop to $299 at E3.

Hydrargyrus

Thanks!!

We'll see then!

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Dude, get some games to play, or you know, a life. :p

Okay, this probably sounds too harsh, but take it as a joke, nothing more.

I still play A LOT with The Division, and recently i play very much even Black Ops III. xD

Of course, i still play Splatoon too, and i continue to become more powerful... :p yeah, recently i play all online multiplayer games lol. Even Pokémon, i play the online. xD

I need Dark Souls III, so i can finally back to some difference games.

Edit:

I concede you 5 minutes for the NPD thread, or...
Nah nothing buddy don't worry haha, make the thread when you want. :D

Javin98

Banned
I still play A LOT with The Division, and recently i play very much even Black Ops III. xD

Of course, i still play Splatoon too, and i continue to become more powerful... :p yeah, recently i play all online multiplayer games lol. Even Pokémon, i play the online. xD

I need Dark Souls III, so i can finally back to some difference games.
Well, then, why would you be waiting for some dumb old predictions thread when you have actual games to play? :p

Man, this reminds me, I gotta get my hands on The Witcher 3 soon.

Javin98

Banned
No one on GAF actually plays games. Ironic, really.
I actually spend much less time on GAF ever since I got my PS4. Sometimes the hyperbole on here drives me nuts. But on weekdays, I don't have my PS4 with me at night, like now, so I'm spending some quality time with my fellow GAFfers. :p

RexNovis

Banned
No one on GAF actually plays games. Ironic, really.

Hey speak for yourself man. Since I wrapped up my platinum trophy on Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth I've been playing through Zombie Vikings which was yet another fantastic surprise. After that I have The Banner Saga to play through and then Rachet and Clank is due out.
This is also while regularly playing Street Fighter V.

I have too many games to play. Too many I tell you! Such is the curse of adulthood: all the money for games and none of the time.

Javin98

Banned
I have too many games to play. Too many I tell you! Such is the curse of adulthood: all the money for games and none of the time.
Goddamn it! It's the opposite for me. The curse of being a teenager: All the time in the world but having to ask your parents to buy the games.

Welfare

Hey speak for yourself man. Since I wrapped up my platinum trophy on Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth I've been playing through Zombie Vikings which was yet another fantastic surprise. After that I have The Banner Saga to play through and then Rachet and Clank is due out.
This is also while regularly playing Street Fighter V.

It was a joke :p

Goddamn it! It's the opposite for me. The curse of being a teenager: All the time in the world but having to ask your parents to buy the games.
Agreed. Gamestop to the rescue since I can sell my games back for extra money to go into other games.

RexNovis

Banned

It was a joke :p

Agreed. Gamestop to the rescue since I can sell my games back for extra money to go into other games.

Y'all have it better. Trust me. Backlogs suuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Seeing a torrent of games you want to play and realizing you will never have enough time do so is soul crushing.

Javin98

Banned
Well, at least where you live, you have a ton of retailers where you can easily find used games and such. Imagine my joy two weeks ago when I finally found a used copy of Bloodborne after looking for a long time. And now the search for a used copy of The Witcher 3 begins. :(

Also, I don't have nearly enough games for me to consider trading them back yet. I might trade in The Order soon, but it looks so damn good that I'm keeping it just to enjoy the visuals.

Y'all have it better. Trust me. Backlogs suuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Seeing a torrent of games you want to play and realizing you will never have enough time do so is soul crushing.
In my case, being stuck with the same old games is worse. I actually got a bit more short tempered and stressed out when I didn't get any new games for a month. Irrational, I know, especially since I game 60 hours a week, but I just can't help it. Then came Bloodborne to save the day!

FATALITY

Banned
I think maybe you didnt understand my post. Basically the exploit will skew the already small XB1 userbase towards digital making the retail split even more stark in PS4s favor. That's absolutely certain. We just have no idea of knowing how much.

oh yeah sorry

onQ123

Coming back to a previous point, maybe a stupid question :

I mean, HD was great on so many levels:

- Far, far better picture
- 16:9 instead of 4:3 (that was amazing)
- Goodbye ugly Braun's tube cube, hello flatscreen
- Cool smart-TV-apps I never used

Will 4K deliver such a huge progress? Low Definition to HD felt like VHS to DVD, but now I just don't feel the excitement (yet).

The jump from 1080P to 4K is bigger than the jump from 480P to 720P

500px-Digital_video_resolutions_VCD_to_4K.svg_.png

Well, at least where you live, you have a ton of retailers where you can easily find used games and such. Imagine my joy two weeks ago when I finally found a used copy of Bloodborne after looking for a long time. And now the search for a used copy of The Witcher 3 begins. :(

Also, I don't have nearly enough games for me to consider trading them back yet. I might trade in The Order soon, but it looks so damn good that I'm keeping it just to enjoy the visuals.

In my case, being stuck with the same old games is worse. I actually got a bit more short tempered and stressed out when I didn't get any new games for a month. Irrational, I know, especially since I game 60 hours a week, but I just can't help it. Then came Bloodborne to save the day!
damn, I'm jelly as hell right now. Wish I could be young again. Used to go through a AAA game every week! Now this is the list of unopened games looking at me with dispair in my entertainment center.

The Witcher 3
MGSV
FFX/X-2 Remake
Uncharted Collection
Bloodborne Expansion
Disgaea 5

-_-

At least I'm regularly playing SFV everyday though and did manage to get some shorter game in like Gravity Rush (got the platinum) and will beat Firewatch and Unchartrd hopefully this weekend. Have to get some of the SP experiences out the way because Ratchet is coming.

Javin98

Banned
damn, I'm jelly as hell right now. Wish I could be young again. Used to go through a AAA game every week! Now this is the list of unopened games looking at me with dispair in my entertainment center.

The Witcher 3
MGSV
FFX/X-2 Remake
Uncharted Collection
Bloodborne Expansion
Disgaea 5

-_-

At least I'm regularly playing SFV everyday though and did manage to get some shorter game in like Gravity Rush (got the platinum) and will beat Firewatch and Unchartrd hopefully this weekend. Have to get some of the SP experiences out the way because Ratchet is coming.
No need to be jelly, man. In a little more than a month, I'll begin my college life and only be able to play on weekends. There goes my 60 hours a week of awesomeness. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The jump from 1080P to 4K is bigger than the jump from 480P to 720P

500px-Digital_video_resolutions_VCD_to_4K.svg_.png

in absolute, 'how many dots are there' terms, yes. But in relative 'how good does this look?' - I think 1080p is a good enough point for many screen sizes, and that is often bound by peoples living spaces.

Until not that long ago, digital cinema used to be basically 1080p and that looked decent

RexNovis

Banned
So tech wise it's big, but is it visually as noticeable? I haven't really checked out 4K sets myself.

Honestly the visual gap between LCD and OLED displays is FAR greater than the one between 1080 LCDs and 4K LCDs except for with the highest quality 4K TVs with full HDR support. OLED is where it's at. OLED 4K TVs are fucking unreal. Literally incapable of being described in words. Unfortunately their price tags are astronomical atm. But 4K OLED will def be my next purchase once the prices get a bit more reasonable.

Top Bottom