• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

On Demand

Banned
1080p to 4K is not the same difference like it was with 480p to 1080p. 4K brings refinement in details and better colors, but it's not really a night and day change. It gets to a point where we can't hardly see extra detail even though it might be there. The pixels are already small with 1080p.

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=7491&d2=7490

And remember that's zoomed in.

HDR will be the bigger difference. Even though i prefer it not to be used. Especially on classic movies.

Honestly the visual gap between LCD and OLED displays is FAR greater than the one between 1080 LCDs and 4K LCDs except for with the highest quality 4K TVs with full HDR support. OLED is where it's at. OLED 4K TVs are fucking unreal. Literally incapable of being described in words. Unfortunately their price tags are astronomical atm. But 4K OLED will def be my next purchase once the prices get a bit more reasonable.

Yep. Contrast is king. It's why i'm not impressed with most 4K LCD's. I'm viewing a kuro plasma at home.

1080p to 4K is not the same difference like it was with 480p to 1080p. 4K brings refinement in details and better colors, but it's not really a night and day change. It gets to a point where we can't hardly see extra detail even though it might be there. The pixels are already small with 1080p.

While I agree... let's flesh this out a bit.

Right now, looking at Xbox One and PS4 screenshots, it's virtually impossible to tell the difference between 900p and 1080p. If you made people blindly select which they thought was which, I bet results would say that the difference is minimal.

However, ask someone which would they prefer, 1080p or 900p for their 1080p TV? They want 1080p, every time, regardless if it actually looks any better.

Call it marketing, or falling for hype, or whatever.

But for customers who have purchased a 4k TV, and there are already a good number that have with adoption growing, a console that supports 4k would be appealing. Not necessarily because they'd see a difference either.

People are funny that way.

Honestly the visual gap between LCD and OLED displays is FAR greater than the one between 1080 LCDs and 4K LCDs except for with the highest quality 4K TVs with full HDR support. OLED is where it's at. OLED 4K TVs are fucking unreal. Literally incapable of being described in words. Unfortunately their price tags are astronomical atm. But 4K OLED will def be my next purchase once the prices get a bit more reasonable.
Cool then I don't have to worry about upgrading TV anytime soon then. OLED displays were still like $3K and up last I checked, I don't buy TV for more than around $1K usually. And that's still only paying $500 upfront and paying off the rest monthly. Something just doesn't feel right spending that much on entertainment lol. Need more disposable income I guess.

This makes the rumored PS4K more pointless to me though. If people aren't going to notice a big visual difference in 4K or the displays that you do notice are crazy expensive who's going to upgrade from 1080p?

RexNovis

Banned
Cool then I don't have to worry about upgrading TV anytime soon then. OLED displays were still like $3K and up last I checked, I don't buy TV for more than around $1K usually. And that's still only paying $500 upfront and paying off the rest monthly. Something just doesn't feel right spending that much on entertainment lol. Need more disposable income I guess.

This makes the rumored PS4K more pointless to me though. If people aren't going to notice a big visual difference in 4K or the displays that you do notice are crazy expensive who's going to upgrade from 1080p?

Tons of people are upgrading thanks to a flood of cheap low image quality 4K LCD sets. You can thank marketing and branding for that. People buy it because they associate the brand 4K with highest image quality when the reality is that there is much much more to image quality than resolution. OLEDs excel in virtually every image quality benchmark but because they haven't been effectively branded and marketed the demand hasn't materialized in the same was that 4K has.

TLDR: Marketing ruins everything as per usual.

If people aren't going to notice a big visual difference in 4K or the displays that you do notice are crazy expensive who's going to upgrade from 1080p?

Because life is fleeting, and we grasp onto and buy things we think will bring us happiness in order to stave off the darkness of our own mortality when we should instead just go for a nice long walk in the sunshine.

I was just breaking down the actual technical differences we will see on our TV's.

Right, there really isn't much of one. And the cost in increased bandwidth for 4k streaming content is going to make data caps rain down on us and kill net neutrality as soon as that content starts rolling out.

That's the scariest part of 4k, to me at least.

On Demand

Banned
While I agree... let's flesh this out a bit.

Right now, looking at Xbox One and PS4 screenshots, it's virtually impossible to tell the difference between 900p and 1080p. If you made people blindly select which they thought was which, I bet results would say that the difference is minimal.

However, ask someone which would they prefer, 1080p or 900p for their 1080p TV? They want 1080p, every time, regardless if it actually looks any better.

Call it marketing, or falling for hype, or whatever.

But for customers who have purchased a 4k TV, and there are already a good number that have with adoption growing, a console that supports 4k would be appealing. Not necessarily because they'd see a difference either.

People are funny that way.

Oh yeah i agree technology wise 4K is better in every way and consumers will obviously want the next best new thing. I was just breaking down the actual technical differences we will see on our TV's. But yeah that won't stop the success of 4K. Manufactures are focusing on 4K displays anyway. You won't even be able to buy a 1080p TV soon enough.

RexNovis

Banned
HDR will be the bigger difference. Even though i prefer it not to be used. Especially on classic movies.

Yep. Contrast is king. It's why i'm not impressed with most 4K LCD's. I'm viewing a kuro plasma at home.

Yea HDR makes a huge difference but currently it's only available on the highest quality lines of 4K and it hasn't really been marketed much yet. I expect Sony to start pushing HDR hard though since they are supporting it in their newest lines of cameras.

But yea OLED is just in a world of its own thanks to the unparalleled color accuracy and contrast. I sometimes go and visit the Sony store in Tokyo and sometimes they have a section devoted to displaying their newest prototypes. The OLED displays are absolutely jaw dropping. All it took was one look to know that I wouldn't settle for anything less as my next TV purchase.

Because life is fleeting, and we grasp onto and buy things we think will bring us happiness in order to stave off the darkness of our own mortality when we should instead just go for a nice long walk in the sunshine.

Well that got dark. Three cheers for consumerism!

Right, there really isn't much of one. And the cost in increased bandwidth for 4k streaming content is going to make data caps rain down on us and kill net neutrality as soon as that content starts rolling out.

That's the scariest part of 4k, to me at least.

Not necessarily. There have been some promising advancements in video compression / encoding recently that could help alleviate the burden significantly. In all likelihood America is fucked regardless though. The cable lobbies ain't no joke. Unless, of course, the people elect the candidate that is vowing to overturn Citizens United in which case all bets are off.

Safest bet is to pray that Google fiber expands to an area near you.

On Demand

Banned
Yea HDR makes a huge difference but currently it's only available on the highest quality lines of 4K and it hasn't really been marketed much yet. I expect Sony to start pushing HDR hard though since they are supporting it in their newest lines of cameras.

All HDR needs is calibration standards which are still being worked on. Right now it's a guessing game on how it's suppose to look.

But yea OLED is just in a world of its own thanks to the unparalleled color accuracy and contrast. I sometimes go and visit the Sony store in Tokyo and sometimes they have a section devoted to displaying their newest prototypes. The OLED displays are absolutely jaw dropping. All it took was one look to know that I wouldn't settle for anything less as my next TV purchase.

Sony needs to transfer their professional OLED technology into a consumer version. They put so much R&D into it. I would buy it over LG's or Panasonic. Who are using the exact same panels.

I tell you what is flying under the radar, is the game I had to have shipped to my house today, nights of azure. Obscure jrpg goodness, woo.

What the hell are you talking about.

Nights of Azure is pure, Koei Tecmo heavy hitter. IT'S A HEAVY HITTER.

C'mon now.

Don't be afraid, dark soul, I tell you I had a dream that one day god will let rain down helmets you can cover your tear-wrinkled face with, and walk landscapes of eternal sunshine. And there will be love a-plenty and infinite jest.

Safest bet is to pray that Google fiber expands to an area near you.

Pray to Google. Let's see how far we've come.

allan-bh

PS4K currently $399.99 with 2x GPU power. No one with this information will buy a standard PS4 for $349.99 right now.

I'm curious if this rumor/inside information will spread out and impact PS4 sales.

Loris146

PS4K currently $399.99 with 2x GPU power. No one with this information will buy a standard PS4 for $349.99 right now.

I'm curious if this rumor/inside information will spread out and impact PS4 sales.

Unless the news is directly from Sony i don't think so but we'll see.

RexNovis

Banned

I mean its got to impact sales to some degree the question is by how much and I don't think we have anyway of conclusively answering that question right now. Just not enough information yet.

mejin

I mean its got to impact sales to some degree the question is by how much and I don't think we have anyway of conclusively answering that question right now. Just not enough information yet.

I think it can affect the record numbers PS4 could achieve this year, but it will still be the best year for the console sales wise. People won't stop buying it cause it's the only console to have a consistent and upgrowing demand.

Welfare

It'll impact sales just as much as Orbis leaks impacted PS3 sales, which is not at all.

And when it gets officially announced? Depending on how much more it costs compared to the regular PS4, maybe not at all even then.

RexNovis

Banned
I think it can affect the record numbers PS4 could achieve this year, but it will still be the best year for the console sales wise. People won't stop buying it cause it's the only console to have a consistent and upgrowing demand.

It'll impact sales just as much as Orbis leaks impacted PS3 sales, which is not at all.

And when it gets officially announced? Depending on how much more it costs compared to the regular PS4, maybe not at all even then.

Y'all could be right but in my opinion we are treading on very new ground and I'm not comfortable predicting either way until we have more information to consider, weigh and discuss. There are too many unknowns for me to make any informed predictions on the matter as opposed to just specious speculation.

Elandyll

Banned
The official announcement, if real (still taking it with a grain of salt), would probably be alongside a price reduction to $299 for the PS4, and a clear marketing message that the PS4K is intended to take advantage of 4K displays.

Pretty much. Of course Gaf is losing its collective mind. The general public? For the most part, it won't phase them.

RexNovis

Banned
Ok is anyone else blown away by the money being thrown hand over fist at FFXV marketing? I mean holy shit at that event?!?! This his got to be one of the biggest game budgets ever... I have a really bad feeling about SEs chances of making a profit on this game and what an unprofitable FFXV means for Japanese game development as a whole...

AniHawk

Ok is anyone else blown away by the money being thrown hand over fist at FFXV marketing? I mean holy shit at that event?!?! This his got to be one of the biggest game budgets ever... I have a really bad feeling about SEs chances of making a profit on this game and what an unprofitable FFXV means for Japanese game development as a whole...

ffxv spent about a decade in development. i have a hard time believing it's actually making back its budget. what this can do is help put square enix back on the map and get people interested in them as a brand again. i also don't think an unprofitable ffxv is a signal for concern for japanese game development considering that it's fairly unlike a lot of japanese developers to spend a decade making a game and have it shift platforms and branding of the course of its development, and that hedging your bets on a single game to do super awesome is more of a western thing anyway.

Agreed.

This place is losing its collective mind while the most anyone in the general public will see if it is maybe one line in the Facebook news feed about it going 4K.

But this is the same place where a new console at $400 is a financial hardship unseen in centuries but will crash the squeenix store to drop $300 on a game that comes with a statue.

At the same time, if GAF is any indication, what they showed today essentially got the hype rolling at full throttle, which they reallt needed.

Edit: Meaning, it's a rare form of confidence in the title that you wouldn't expect SE to show. Especially one with such troubled development history.

RexNovis

Banned
ffxv spent about a decade in development. i have a hard time believing it's actually making back its budget. what this can do is help put square enix back on the map and get people interested in them as a brand again. i also don't think an unprofitable ffxv is a signal for concern for japanese game development considering that it's fairly unlike a lot of japanese developers to spend a decade making a game and have it shift platforms and branding of the course of its development, and that hedging your bets on a single game to do super awesome is more of a western thing anyway.

At the same time, if GAF is any indication, what they showed today essentially got the hype rolling at full throttle, which they reallt needed.

Edit: Meaning, it's a rare form of confidence in the title that you wouldn't expect SE to show. Especially one with such troubled development history.

I hope yall are right. But a part of me is scared especially when it seems like FFXV was basically a non starter for the market at large prior to the events today. I just dont see any way for it to be profitable given the kinda spending involved. Like I am TERRIFIED that this CG movie or whatever is going to end up being the next Spirits Within.

Agreed.

This place is losing its collective mind while the most anyone in the general public will see if it is maybe one line in the Facebook news feed about it going 4K.

But this is the same place where a new console at $400 is a financial hardship unseen in centuries but will crash the squeenix store to drop $300 on a game that comes with a statue.

Yeah, GAF hyperbole is something else. loo

AniHawk

I hope yall are right. But a part of me is scared especially when it seems like FFXV was basically a non starter for the market at large prior to the events today. I just dont see any way for it to be profitable given the kinda spending involved. Like I am TERRIFIED that this CG movie or whatever is going to end up being the next Spirits Within.

i mean i think this game failing spectacularly would mean no super high budget, company-ending games would be funded anymore within square enix, but i don't think any company should be aspiring to make those kinds of games anyway unless you're trying to sell an engine.

i mean i think this game failing spectacularly would mean no super high budget, company-ending games would be funded anymore within square enix, but i don't think any company should be aspiring to make those kinds of games anyway unless you're trying to sell an engine.

If they need 10m+ copies of this thing to sell, with that demo they just released... well good luck to them.

They could have just burned the money they spent on the event last night for warmth. Probably would have been a better use of the funds.

If they need 10m+ copies of this thing to sell, with that demo they just released... well good luck to them.

They could have just burned the money they spent on the event last night for warmth. Probably would have been a better use of the funds.

Dat flying car tho

I won't be buying FFXV

Final Fantasy is an accident waiting to happen. I cannot see enough mass appeal for JRPGs any more. I also wonder if the decision not to have a female group member isn't a huge mistake.
For Sony it will be a blessing anyway, giving a nice push in Japan, but for Square I can't see it selling too well.
When there were quite respektable number for the Tomb Raider reboot Square wasn't satisfied. I wonder what they expect here.

Edith: saw the 10million sales target.
Gasp.

ethomaz

Banned
It won't reach 10 million while they insist in this action garbage combat.

The videos really hyped me to try the demo.

Now I know I will never buy FFXV.

I'm begging to ATB back to JRPGs to be fun again.

RexNovis

Banned

Yep 10 million copies. This is going to crash and burn so hard... Oh man. That "demo" was so garbage. I honestly do no understand how SE could possibly think it was a good thing to release as an intro to FFXV for potential new fans/buyers for their game. Seriously what the hell were they thinking?

Yea, not sure why they released a tech demo as their first taste of the game for the vast majority of people.

Episode Duscae had much better combat due to an actual tutorial, a variety of different opportunities to test the combat out in and the ability to mess around with perfect parries which elevated the combat system to a higher level.

*shrugs* SE gonna SE I suppose.

Boke1879

Agreed.

Hey man I was one of those people that got that damn $300 game ;)

But no I agree with you. This place is a bubble and for the most part your general public has no idea about this shit and when they do it'll be seen as a console that can take further advantage or VR and 4k displays. This will have very little impact on PS4 sales right now and when it is announced I doubt it'll have a major impact then.

Boke1879

Yea, not sure why they released a tech demo as their first taste of the game for the vast majority of people.

Episode Duscae had much better combat due to an actual tutorial, a variety of different opportunities to test the combat out in and the ability to mess around with perfect parries which elevated the combat system to a higher level.

*shrugs* SE gonna SE I suppose.

But again I've seen many people on twitter who played the demo and are even more hyped for the game. People know it was a tech demo because that's what It was billed as. At the end of the day. 6 months from now when the hype and marketing train are in full swing this little demo which is essentially just a way to get Carbuncle in the main game won't even matter

Agreed.

Seriously, things have gotten real stupid.
Hey man I was one of those people that got that damn $300 game ;)

But no I agree with you. This place is a bubble and for the most part your general public has no idea about this shit and when they do it'll be seen as a console that can take further advantage or VR and 4k displays. This will have very little impact on PS4 sales right now and when it is announced I doubt it'll have a major impact then.
Yup. GAF about to be wrong again.

But again I've seen many people on twitter who played the demo and are even more hyped for the game. People know it was a tech demo because that's what It was billed as. At the end of the day. 6 months from now when the hype and marketing train are in full swing this little demo which is essentially just a way to get Carbuncle in the main game won't even matter

While I think that's true, I do think they should try and release an updated Duscae version for the general audience. It's more representative of the game and would definitely alleviate a lot of concerns.

RexNovis

Banned
Just sitting here gathering posts about ffxv sales(not really) but I'll damn sure try and remember when we get to that point

I mean I sincerely hope I'm wrong about it. I'm just afraid because, at least so far, it seems likely I won't be.

While I think that's true, I do think they should try and release an updated Duscae version for the general audience. It's more representative of the game and would definitely alleviate a lot of concerns.

100% Agreed on this. And also they need to get some AA on it pronto.

I mean I sincerely hope I'm wrong about it. I'm just afraid because, at least so far, it seems likely I won't be.
They have the marketing down pack that's obvious. All they need now is a good game. As far as the demo go's i stepped out the gaf bubble today and visited a couple sites opinions and comment sections(gamespot,ign,kotaku,eurogamer) and the reception is absolutely completely different than Gaf's. 10 mil idk 7-8 mil most def if the game is good which so far it's looking pretty good

QaaQer

They have the marketing down pack that's obvious. All they need now is a good game. As far as the demo go's i stepped out the gaf bubble today and visited a couple sites opinions and comment sections(gamespot,ign,kotaku,eurogamer) and the reception is absolutely completely different than Gaf's. 10 mil idk 7-8 mil most def if the game is good which so far it's looking pretty good

I'm gonna go with that being social marketing. demo was bad for a flagship AAA game.

RexNovis

Banned

I'm sure it will go on to sell 6+ million off the name and marketing alone but the idea that a JRPG, even one as storied as Final Fantasy, should be goaled at 10 million to be deemed a success is fucking insane in the age we currently live in. JRPGs are no longer the powerhouses they once were and acting is if it's reasonable to expect 10 million sales just to be a success is beyond crazy IMO.

The people commenting on articles about the demo on gaming enthusiast sites are far more than not to be FF fans and as such they (like myself) really want to like the demo and give it a lot of leeway. But looking at it from the perspective of a non fan... I really don't see how it's anything remotely close to "good" apart from the admittedly (and thankfully) incredible soundtrack. As a flagship pre release demo for what's supposed to be a AAA RPG it is severely lacking and, frankly, really really rough.

The people commenting on articles about the demo on gaming enthusiast sites are far more than not to be FF fans and as such they (like myself) really want to like the demo and give it a lot of leeway. But looking at it from the perspective of a non fan... I really don't see how it's anything remotely close to "good" apart from the admittedly (and thankfully) incredible soundtrack. As a flagship pre release demo for what's supposed to be a AAA RPG it is severely lacking and, frankly, really really rough.
O I'm sure a lot of them are fans some probably aren't was just saying this place isn't a good gauge for that demos reception. Neither are the sales either honestly..I mean Christ a large portion thought battlefront of all things would bomb

RexNovis

Banned
O I'm sure a lot of them are fans some probably aren't was just saying this place isn't a good gauge for that demos reception. Neither are the sales either honestly..I mean Christ a large portion thought battlefront of all things would bomb

That was a relatively small portion. Most knew it would sell boatloads off the Star Wars IP alone. This is completely different. The Final Fantasy brand is in the process of recovering from some serious hits and it seems like the vast majority are worried about FFXV. It's telling that the only ones who aren't worried are big fans of the franchise and even some of those fans are worried.

It just seems to me that SE have needlessly and wantonly inflated the stakes for this release and the response to their efforts has been repeatedly muted. That's not good.

That was a relatively small portion. Most knew it would sell boatloads off the Star Wars IP alone. This is completely different. The Final Fantasy brand is in the process of recovering from some serious hits and it seems like the vast majority are worried about FFXV.
No no that was...that was an embarrassing good amount I remember lol. I don't think it'll do 10 mil I mean it's possible but I'm not sure BUT that thread is hyperbole central it's not doing no 2-3 mil it's not the end of ff, square will not be cancelling their biggest Japanese franchise(Dq11,yes someone said this would bomb and dq would be cancelled) I'm expecting 6-8mil is it want they need/want no but it'll be something

I'm pretty confident that as long as the game gets good reviews (82-85+ meta), it'll hit the sales target.

Primarily because it's lifetime numbers and I fully expect the PC release to put it over that threshold.

RexNovis

Banned
No no that was...that was an embarrassing good amount I remember lol. I don't think it'll do 10 mil I mean it's possible but I'm not sure BUT that thread is hyperbole central it's not doing no 2-3 mil it's not the end of ff, square will not be cancelling their biggest Japanese franchise(Dq11,yes someone said this would bomb and dq would be cancelled) I'm expecting 6-8mil is it want they need/want no but it'll be something

Perhaps you're forgetting their crazy sales target for Tomb Raider and their reaction to the sales that most everyone else expected the release to get. If SE says 10 million units to be a success precedent tells us they mean 10 million units.

Perhaps your forgetting their crazy sales target for Tomb Raider and their reaction to the sales that most everyone else expected the release to get. If SE says 10 million units to be a success precedent tells us they mean 10 million units.
And I believe they can get there it's very possible. Marketing they'll have in spades now they just need to tighten up the game get good reviews and they're straight

RexNovis

Banned
I'm pretty confident that as long as the game gets good reviews (82-85+ meta), it'll hit the sales target.

Primarily because it's lifetime numbers and I fully expect the PC release to put it over that threshold.

And I believe they can get there it's very possible. Marketing they'll have in spades now they just need to tighten up the game get good reviews and they're straight

I am not sure there is a big enough market for JRPGs today to support a 10 million minimum for success regardless of how large the advertising campaign is. It seems remarkably foolish and tone deaf to the current market climate.

Top Bottom