• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For February 2017 [Up1: For Honor highest LTD game of 2017 so far]

For Honor number 1 is no surprise. Game is a big hit for Ubi.

It would seem RE7 is showing good / strong legs at least in the US.

That's an ok opening for Nioh I guess.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ubisoft has been killing it lately...glad they got back on their feed after Assasins Creed failed them. Good work.

Edit:

lol 3DS still chugging along.

For anyone wondering, Horizon will be in the March results.

Surprised software sales were down so much in Feb. Seemed like that would have been in good shape given the number of quality releases.

March will be a much more interesting month with Horizon, Zelda and Switch.

Check again.

Yeah, didn't notice that (I even missed Siege as I just ran across the top and bottom a bit)

I admit to not be a lover of high sales in some sort of way that many of us do. I appreciate games being made that I like and honestly

it isn't salt, it isn't being hurt but the way I really see it is that if games that are rather poor in my eyes are doing good (for honor, ghosts wild) I see it as something that will continue from said publisher or be copied a bit over into other games and will continue to drive games like Nioh that feel more inspired and have better design IMO to be driven out of the industry

As we have seen from arcade racers and horror titles or good first person shooter campaigns etc

Now, I am all for diversity but it seems marketing is winning out over solid made games. I get that sounds a bit salty though, but hopefully my idea is a little more clear over that.

Lime

Well, hardware pricing causing less revenue isn't too odd, but the hardware units going down suggests we're in the decline phase of the generation, and is less good. That's probably not too surprising though, given a generation is only likely to last ~6 years total and we're at year 3.

The software comp is against... it's not astonishing software, but it's only 14% down there, and arguably had bigger releases: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1196083

If you were hoping for an extended generation though, that's probably not likely.

Thank you so much Nirolak

Yeah, didn't notice that (I even missed Siege as I just ran across the top and bottom a bit)

I admit to not be a lover of high sales in some sort of way that many of us do. I appreciate games being made that I like and honestly

it isn't salt, it isn't being hurt but the way I really see it is that if games that are rather poor in my eyes are doing good (for honor, ghosts wild) I see it as something that will continue from said publisher or be copied a bit over into other games and will continue to drive games like Nioh that feel more inspired and have better design IMO to be driven out of the industry

As we have seen from arcade racers and horror titles or good first person shooter campaigns etc

Now, I am all for diversity but it seems marketing is winning out over solid made games. I get that sounds a bit salty though, but hopefully my idea is a little more clear over that.
No matter how u try and phrase this it does indeed sound salty. Was for honor not a brand new concept and a new ip what's the problem

No matter how u try and phrase this it does indeed sound salty. Was for honor not a brand new concept and a new ip what's the problem

bad net code is mostly the issue but I'm more against wildlands selling well than this game honestly. Cause it's just too rough and exhausting in design for my tastes and the open world thing is going too far into too many games without any level design that fits for what I like (which sure, I have to speak for myself and games Iike) but with sony going the ubi soft route a little too hard (and honestly seem to be investing in it with Kojima too) it does worry me as a gamer and for all the games I've already lost ...

That's still not good, right?

Here is what i found for halo wars 1

On March 19, 2009, Microsoft announced that the game had sold 1 million units and that players had spent 118 total years of time in online skirmish matches.According to NPD Group's March sales figures, Halo Wars sold 639,000 copies in the U.S. through March,] making it the third best-selling game in the market.

i am going to say halo wars 2 didn't perform as well as halo wars 1 did retail wise.

bad net code is mostly the issue but I'm more against wildlands selling well than this game honestly. Cause it's just too rough and exhausting in design for my tastes.
I'm not understanding this mindset. there are plenty games I don't like I will never be upset they sold well ever. What Ubisoft does will be completely different from others

pompidu

Are people losing there copies of GTA and just rebuying them? Jesus this is nuts, looks like anytime a console is sold they buy GTA with it.

bad net code is mostly the issue but I'm more against wildlands selling well than this game honestly. Cause it's just too rough and exhausting in design for my tastes and the open world thing is going too far into too many games without any level design that fits for what I like (which sure, I have to speak for myself and games Iike) but with sony going the ubi soft route a little too hard (and honestly seem to be investing in it with Kojima too) it does worry me as a gamer and for all the games I've already lost ...

No. Its nice you tried to justify it, but hoping a game sells poorly because you ultimately aren't into it is a toxic attitude

sirronoh

Here is what i found for halo wars 1

i am going to say halo wars 2 didn't perform as well as halo wars 1 did retail wise.

Yeah I'm inclined to agree here. We'll see for March I suppose but so far, it's not looking particularly great for Halo Wars 2's opening.

On the flip side, Nioh charting without digital is remarkable for a new, exclusive IP.

I'm not understanding this mindset. there are plenty games I don't like I will never be upset they sold well ever. What Ubisoft does will be completely different from others

Ubisoft has been the one doing overly sell on open worlds or pushing games that are collecting heavy. It has become more common for them over the years (even steep....) and it has been a more than obvious change in sony's development as well IMO even though some will disagree with me for sure but I do feel like any time I watch new AAA game trailers it seems to be all about open world at least half the time. (views, likes etc)

So, I am hoping for games like Nioh, Re7 to do even better so more games like that come out instead of getting pushed to the side or completely not made at all.

I feel the mindset that an open world has is more strong than the actual product being good/better than what it actually is. I feel it's more marketing and impressionism than anything at this point. That is my main concern and where I feel it isn't just being salty. I feel a lot of those titles are a bit objectively bad and not just subjectively.

No. Its nice you tried to justify it, but hoping a game sells poorly because you ultimately aren't into it is a toxic attitude
I can see that, but I'm not sure how I would say it isn't either

I'm not sure how I could want or see all games selling well though as it isn't possible. Not sure what logical idea I could go with actually. Cause in one way, I would want all employees to keep their work and what they like to do unless there were reasons they didnt like what they were doing blah blah blah...

So, it isn't my intention to be against the people's work and jobs at least. I do feel a lot of them are off course on what they are making but that is a different idea.

Piggus

GTA V still as high as ever, we're not getting another GTA for a very long time are we ?

Why wouldn't we? You can bet that they're working on it, but a new GTA game obviously would take a long time to make. I think it's pretty likely we'll get an announcement next year.

Ubisoft has been the one doing overly sell on open worlds or pushing games that are collecting heavy. It has become more common for them over the years (even steep....) and it has been a more than obvious change in sony's development as well IMO even though some will disagree with me for sure but I do feel like any time I watch new AAA game trailers it seems to be all about open world at least half the time. (views, likes etc)

So, I am hoping for games like Nioh, Re7 to do even better so more games like that come out instead of getting pushed to the side or completely not made at all.

I feel the mindset that an open world has is more strong than the actual product being good/better than what it actually is. I feel it's more marketing and impressionism than anything at this point. That is my main concern and where I feel it isn't just being salty. I feel a lot of those titles are a bit objectively bad and not just subjectively.
I'll end this here than...

Congrats to Ubisoft fun new ip

Nioh charting I'm proud to have raised my katana

RexNovis

Banned
As others have said it is good to see Nioh charting despite seeming to be the only title on the list without any digital revenue included. Its also likely it had a higher digital revenue than industry norms as a result of the stock issues. Charting as low as it did though does show me that Sony severely undershipped the game going by the stock issues at retailers.

Also, Halo Wars 2 is nowhere to be seen at all. I expected a low debut but I did not expect it not to chart.

Theorry

I think it's safe to say it bombed in retails. They are nowhere near gonna reach the first game's numbers and For Honor took all the thunder away from it.

Depends what the expectations were. If you compare it to Halo Wars 1 it offcourse bombed. It had a bundle also btw. Wich is not counted.

Also, Halo Wars 2 is nowhere to be seen at all. I expected a low debut but I did not expect it not to chart.

Dont forget it had a bundle.

Cipherr

They had better make a new handheld after the 3DS. The market can very clearly still support one. Little bugger just keeps chugging along man.

Mooreberg

GTA V never stops. March will be really interesting. Have to guess Zelda would top the list, but I have no idea how many Switch units were actually made available here.

They had better make a new handheld after the 3DS. The market can very clearly still support one. Little bugger just keeps chugging along man.

I assume they will try to keep it together and make a handheld only switch (although much smaller and more portable) it seems to make sense with all the things they have made (cart size, memory size etc

Sterok

Ubisoft is really good at dominating the first quarter of the year. They know how to time their products (here at least) along with making appealing games.

Great to see Nioh on the list. It was pretty supply constrained during the first few weeks, right? I know I had to check quite a few stores before I found one at a target 50 minutes away. I wonder if that made a difference at all.

Top Bottom