• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For February 2017 [Up1: For Honor highest LTD game of 2017 so far]

Ashtar

I'm confused by the confusion. I wouldn't be surprised if it closed Q1 as the biggest game, especially when we count worldwide.

Mind, not necessarily true for LTD.
I think ghost recon will be bigger, it opened bigger (pal) is a more traditional genre
I think top 3 next month will be
Ghost recon
Mass effect
Horizon
Overall seems videogames are doing not so great I don't remember last February but I don't think we had games as big as Nioh and for honor to push software and yet it's still down year over year

sirronoh

Regarding Halo Wars 2, I'm curious to see more data but I don't think we'll get any. In any event, I commented on Halo Wars 2 compared to Nioh in the predictions thread...

Ah okay, fair perspective. By niche exclusive tites, I'm assuming you're referring to games like Nioh. If that's true though, 'niche' is an odd way to describe a game that sold 1 million copies worldwide in two weeks.

Halo is certainly still a powerful brand but I should point out that Halo today is significantly diminished from the days of Halo 3. The relatively disappointing sales of the Master Chief Collection as well as Halo 5 speak to that.

Halo Wars 2 also has a few things potentially going against it:
-It's a spinoff of the main series, again to a brand that's significantly diminished in 2017
-It's no longer new -- people know what they're getting now and for those interested in that, they'll pick up the game and for everyone else, they'll either pass or think about picking it up on sale
-It's an RTS on a console -- if Nioh is niche, what does that make Halo Wars 2?

This is just my personal opinion but I would not be surprised at all if Nioh, given its extraordinary success so far, is outperforming Halo Wars 2 worldwide and launch-aligned. (Of course we'll never get accurate numbers.) As far as the U.S. is concerned, I don't think the gap between the two games sales-wise is significant and I definitely don't think the launch of Halo Wars 2 is going to have any meaningful impact on Xbox One hardware sales for February NPD. By now, one would think that people attracted to the Halo brand enough to purchase Halo Wars 2 would've already purchased an Xbox when the Master Chief Collection released or when Halo 5 released.

We shall see though. :)

samar11

March will be a much more interesting month with Horizon, Zelda and Switch.

I dont think any month will be interesting here. We dont get sales ranking, only revenue and we don't get hardware sales numbers lol.
It will be switch,ps4,xbox one in terms of hardware ranking.

Kusagari

Siege has to be something every publisher is studying.

Amazing legs and really must be selling others on doing games as a service the right way.

wapplew

I dont think any month will be interesting here. We dont get sales ranking, only revenue and we don't get hardware sales numbers lol.
It will be switch,ps4,xbox one in terms of hardware ranking.

Yup, NPD sucks. Why can't every chart like Media create? Weekly with all the numbers.

Depends what the expectations were. If you compare it to Halo Wars 1 it offcourse bombed. It had a bundle also btw. Wich is not counted.

Dont forget it had a bundle.
Bundles are not gonna make a big difference especially when BF1 and Gears 4 bundles are still being sold.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For Honor has the highest LTD of the year so far, meaning it outsold Resident Evil 7's LTD.

Infinite Warfare is the best selling game of the past 12 months.

npdfeb2017atk9a.png

Source: https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX

I think Mass Effect will take it followed by Zelda, Horizon.

Mass Effect #1 is a given because it will include digital sales on Console (not those on PC via Origin)
both Zelda and Horizon won't

Zelda vs Horizon is a tough #2 guess
i do believe Horizon will sell more and gross more $ overall, but Zelda will have a significantly higher retail percentage of it's total sales.

I go with Zelda, because of the Wii U version and higher retail % sales

notaskwid

No offence to For Honor fans, but it being number one so far this year makes me pretty sad when so many awesome games were already released.

sirronoh

Vivendi should have went after them after the Watch Dogs 2 underperformance, since now For Honor and Ghost Recon will likely drive up the share price.

Yep. (Though hopefully that whole hostile takeover thing somehow falls through.. doubt it though.)

No offence to For Honor fans, but it being number one so far this year makes me pretty sad when so many awesome games were already released.
Those games mainly exclusive to PS4. If your on Xbox For Honor, Halo Wars 2, and RE7 are the only hot must have games for the system.

legend166

How's the PS4/XB1 vs PS3/360 graph looking now? I'm guessing it's starting to turn in favour of last generation considering we're at the point where PS3 was recovering and the 360 was picking up steam (although not at the point of Kinect yet).

Either way, are people finally willing to admit we're going to see significant decline in dedicated console hardware for the first time ever? It seems somewhat significant for the industry even if a select group of publishers are making a killing.

Mass Effect #1 is a given because it will include digital sales on Console (not those on PC via Origin)
both Zelda and Horizon won't

Zelda vs Horizon is a tough #2 guess
i do believe Horizon will sell more and gross more $ overall, but Zelda will have a significantly higher retail percentage of it's total sales.

I go with Zelda, because of the Wii U version and higher retail % sales

Ghost Recon will likely be number 1

Kusagari

I can already see Zelda missing the top 3 next month and everyone freaking for no reason.

Horizon, Ghost Recon and Mass Effect creates a monster month at the top with Zelda.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, I'd guess Ghost Recon over Mass Effect.

If Mass Effect had four player campaign co-op, I'd reverse that prediction, but as it stands that's what I'm going with. It has more days to boot.

Elios83

Really happy for RE7 and Nioh (without digital sales as well).Surprised by the strong launch of For Honor. I guess I just don't get the game, we'll see the legs though.

Mooreberg

Good points about Ghost Recon. Co-op games are huge. I wonder if this quarter is making up for no AssCreed and WD2 underwhelming in the fall.

Asd202

Oh yeah totally forgot about Ghost Recon. So I guess it will be either Mass Effect or Ghost Recon followed by Zelda, Horizon.

I wouldn't be surprised if For Honor ends up being the opposite of Siege legs wise. That game has so many issues so far and I wouldn't be surprised if the population declines heavily across the board given how slow the studio has been to update the game.

RexNovis

Banned
Next month I think we will see

1. Ghost Recon: Wildlands ( >1.2 Million)
2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
3. Zelda (~ 840k)
4. Horizon: Zero Dawn (~800k)
5. For Honor
6. GTAV (~220k)

Parentheses = estimated units sold

Should be a very solid month for SW and HW with the launch of the switch bolstering HW sales and so many big new SW/IPs launching.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wouldn't be surprised if For Honor ends up being the opposite of Siege legs wise. That game has so many issues so far and I wouldn't be surprised if the population declines heavily across the board given how slow the studio has been to update the game.

Siege was also quite troubled at launch. It was mostly a big turnaround story for that game.

That's part of why it's actually very close to being the worst rated major multiplayer shooter of this generation Metacritic wise.

I still think Zelda will be atop next month. With Ghost Recon at #2 and Horizon at #3.

I don't think there will be enough Switch units out there to make that happen.

I guess it depends how well it does on Wii U. But Wildlands will likely be well over 1 million

How's the PS4/XB1 vs PS3/360 graph looking now? I'm guessing it's starting to turn in favour of last generation considering we're at the point where PS3 was recovering and the 360 was picking up steam (although not at the point of Kinect yet).

Either way, are people finally willing to admit we're going to see significant decline in dedicated console hardware for the first time ever? It seems somewhat significant for the industry even if a select group of publishers are making a killing.

it's not yet. The gap grew last year. It might grew this year too because PS4 will still outsell PS3s 2010 sales (if it isn't too much down yoy and with this years holiday line up it will not be..) and XBO can at least match X360s 2009 sales. People forget just how long it took last gen for HD twins to get going. 2018 will be first year when it gets tough as with X360 comparison we hit year 2010 and start of Kinect craze.

RexNovis

Banned
I still think Zelda will be atop next month. With Ghost Recon at #2 and Horizon at #3.

That's incredibly unlikely given that Ghost Recon is multiplatform and has sold outrageously well since release in other markets whereas Zelda will be heavily tied to just how much Switch HW Nintendo was able to ship to the US for launch as I doubt it will sell any meaningful amount of copies on WiiU.

Siege was also quite troubled at launch. It was mostly a big turnaround story for that game.

That's part of why it's actually very close to being the worst rated major multiplayer shooter of this generation Metacritic wise.

Yea, but I feel, having bought both games at launch, the dev handling of the situation is quite different.

With Siege, every patch since launch, I thought to myself, "yes, that's a good patch, addresses issues and balance of the game."

With For Honor, the game is in such a pitiful state and balance changes are nowhere to be found. Just annecdotally, my Siege crew that survived Siege launch and plays that game to this day has been more frustrated with FH in the two weeks than Siege in its entirety.

I'd love to see them fix it. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Nioh in the top 10 without digital is the highlight, but other than that yeah, that's another great Q1 for Ubisoft.

Feb 2016 : Far Cry Primal
Mar 2016 : The Division

Feb 2017 : For Honor
Mar 2017 : Ghost Recon Wildlands

Holy shit. Congrats to For Honor. Despite all the issues it's having, I am addicted to the game. I've barely played Horizon because of it.

LordRaptor

Given that PS4 was the best selling console, that ARP and units are both down, and there is no stock shortage of the PS4 Pro, is it premature to say that there is less demand for a more powerful PS4 SKU than for a cheaper one?

3 of the top 10 selling games of 2017 so far are titles that all released 9+ months ago. Overwatch, Siege, and GTAV.

Goes to show how important Games as a Service are becoming and how important it is to continually updated and keep your community invested

Given that PS4 was the best selling console, that ARP and units are both down, and there is no stock shortage of the PS4 Pro, is it premature to say that there is less demand for a more powerful PS4 SKU than for a cheaper one?
Premature less so and more so expected I would say. Pro always seemed like an additional revenue source for Sony imo

Zojirushi

Man Ubisoft just killing it with these games GAF (and critics) don't give a shit about. Gotta respect that market research.

Top Bottom