• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2011 [Up4: Analyst Data (Lots Of Games)]

New NPD is like raising Sea Monkeys; gotta wait for the OP to grow before there's much to talk about. More relaxing than Old NPD.

Well done, Dance Central--looks like it might drive Kinect a bit this year.

Banned
Patriotsbball5460 said:
I've been looking, but nothing so far. Usually Aaron Greenberg or Stepto will tweet about how well MS did.

Maybe they didnt do so well. I didnt see any non-kinect units in stock all month.

Arnie

Great for LBP2, from what my friends tell me it's well deserved. I still need to pick it up. Good for Dead Space 2 too, just started that game and it's really fucking good, if a bit too oppressively scary.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice, looks like LBP2 did better than I expected. Media Molecule knocked it out of the park and they deserve every single sale.

Rainier

Frillen said:
Me neither. But then again, people have REALLY lowered their expectations when it comes to sales of PS3 exclusives this generation.
Agreed. I was hoping LBP 2 would do well, but didn't expect it to be in the top 10 at all.

3 dance games in the top 10, wow. The people love to shake it. Damn, make that 4 if you want to count Zumba Fitness which looks like some kind of dancing aerobics game.

Hard to say anything without numbers. We know the overall totals are down from last year. I've got a feeling the actual numbers on each of these top ten software items will seem kind of low as well.

ShockingAlberto said:
FIVE YEARS IN THE FUUUUUTURE

"Activision lays off 500 employees due to declining dance game sales, will retire 'Dance Party' line this year."

Five years?

Dance games are going to be at market saturation much sooner than that.

Kenka

This month's data is really a surprise for everybody. I have totally blown my predictions, it's almost certain now.

How could we end up with such unexpected charts these last two months ?

Blueblur1

I too am surprised to see Dance Central and DCUO charting. LBP2 surprised me at first but it makes sense that it ended up on the chart. January wasn't really packed with new AAA titles after all. I'm looking forward to the numbers.

apana said:
Why not? I thought this was a big PS3 release and the first sold well.

purely anecdotal, but if I am any indication, Canada was completely inundated with commercials for LBP2. I was seeing them so often I was starting to wonder why they didnt split the commercials between two different games. So yeah, it was very well represented in my media life.

ShockingAlberto said:
FIVE YEARS IN THE FUUUUUTURE

"Activision lays off 500 employees due to declining dance game sales, will retire 'Dance Party' line this year."
You gotta understand that talk show games are the new hotness. Dr. Phil Emergency Intervention is doing gangbusters! Now this is a trend that will never wear thin!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Zumba Fitness being in the top is a disgrace. That piece of software is awful.

Mrbob

Major Nelson is tweeting about play Hard Corps Uprising right now. Even MS doesn't want to release hardware data this month! Usually they are the first to gloat via twitter. Must be bad all around for the top 10 and hardware sales.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I had a feeling MS would stop being helpful once their sales dropped.

Where art thou Pachter!

Kandinsky said:
I bet LBP2 sold less :/

That would make number 4 much lower this year than last.

CozMick

Banned
Plinko said:
Zumba Fitness being in the top is a disgrace. That piece of software is awful.

Whatever the UK can do, the US can do better...........

Just Dance related

What a truly horrible game.

Mrbob said:
Major Nelson is tweeting about play Hard Corps Uprising right now. Even MS doesn't want to release hardware data this month! Usually they are the first to gloat via twitter. Must be bad all around for the top 10 and hardware sales.
or we know they are on top and they are tired of tweeting it? ;P

[Nintex] said:
Hardware is down 8%, software is down 5%. My guess is no one is giving us numbers because they're all pretty bad.

It's been 5 years since the beginning of the generation, I think at this point unless there are price cuts we will see hardware sales down YoY very consistently.

Companies said they want this generation last 10 years or whatever, but I really think consumers are starting to grow old of the current gen hardware :p

fernoca

Kandinsky said:
I bet LBP2 sold less :/
Doubtful that games like DC Universe Online, Brotherhood sold less than 215k (combined). Just Dance (1) sold nearly 200k last year and it ended lower in an NPD with individual sales. So more than 215k seems to be a given.

But we'll see. :p

Sohter.Nura said:
It's been 5 years since the beginning of the generation, I think at this point unless there are price cuts we will see hardware sales down YoY very consistently.

Companies said they want this generation last 10 years or whatever, but I really think consumers are starting to grow old of the current gen hardware :p

The PS3 pretty much had a $50 price cut at the beginning of the year.

[Nintex]

Also, Kinect Sports charted quite a few times in Europe(especially the UK) but we haven't seen it in the US's top 10 numbers. I guess that had some influence on the recent troubles at Rare.

Rolf NB

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Does the increase in accessory money seem really low to anyone else considering how much Move and Kinect cost and how important of accessories they are?
*slowly raises hand*

... if we assume the market as a whole is shrinking, and set the "natural" YoY decline for accessories as the average of hardware and software shrinkage (6.5%), we can pretend that Kinect+Move expanded the accessory market not by 6%, but by 1.06/0.935=+13.5%. That's still kinda not a whole lot.

Top Bottom