• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2011 [Up4: Analyst Data (Lots Of Games)]

fernoca

[Nintex] said:
Also, Kinect Sports charted quite a few times in Europe(especially the UK) but we haven't seen it in the US's top 10 numbers. I guess that had some influence on the recent troubles at Rare.
Kinect Sports was confirmed to be at a million sold in the US alone, without charting in the Top 10. Then again, Epic Mickey was considered a disappointment with 1.3 million in 1 month, so who knows.

Rolf NB said:
*slowly raises hand*

... if we assume the market as a whole is shrinking, and set the "natural" YoY decline for accessories as the average of hardware and software shrinkage (6.5%), we can pretend that Kinect+Move expanded the accessory market not by 6%, but by 1.06/0.935=+13.5%. That's still kinda not a whole lot.

That does make it seem like a bigger increase, but I don't know, it still doesn't seem that amazing for what Sony (Not really) and Microsoft were comparing to system launches.

apana

fernoca said:
Kinect Sports was confirmed to be at a million sold in the US alone, without charting in the Top 10. Then again, Epic Mickey was considered a disappointment with 1.3 million in 1 month, so who knows.

Epic Mickey wasn't a dissapointment at all. That's just PR spin from Disney who want to get out of the shitty console gaming business.

fernoca

apana said:
Epic Mickey wasn't a dissapointment at all. That's just PR spin from Disney who want to get out of the shitty console gaming business.
Just like saying that 1+ million for Kinect Sports were an influence in Rare's troubles. :p
PR spin or not, I was just talking that it seems that in this "age" , even selling a million copies is (apparently) not enough. ;)

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
[Nintex] said:
Also, Kinect Sports charted quite a few times in Europe(especially the UK) but we haven't seen it in the US's top 10 numbers. I guess that had some influence on the recent troubles at Rare.
It charted 1 or 2 places outside of the top 10 in both November and December. Which equaled about 1m sales..

edit: beaten..

RedStep

apana said:
To be fair, "disappointment" is relative. If that number is lower than whatever they projected, it's legitimate. Sort of like I might be disappointed if I only got 15 blowjobs this week instead of the 20 I was hoping for.

Disclaimer: I did get the 20, it's just a hypothetical.

iammeiam

canova said:
where are the numbers?
Locked in a safe buried under a rock located in a trench in the ocean under a glacier.

Probably not very good, so nobody wants to mention them until the PR team has had a chance to try and spin them. Possibly not even then.

Canova

Banned
c'mon NPD monkeys, throw us a number and we'll figure it out the rest

iammeiam said:
Locked in a safe buried under a rock located in a trench in the ocean under a glacier.

Probably not very good, so nobody wants to mention them until the PR team has had a chance to try and spin them. Possibly not even then.

I think they know us geeks can figure out the numbers ourselves, so now they're giving us nothing

Gravijah

RedStep said:
To be fair, "disappointment" is relative. If that number is lower than whatever they projected, it's legitimate. Sort of like I might be disappointed if I only got 15 blowjobs this week instead of the 20 I was hoping for.

hmm are you getting these blowjobs in a house or a car

Barrett2

RedStep said:
In any event, get tested. Your dick must be radioactive by now.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
a Master Ninja said:
I wonder if Mass Effect 2 (PS3) outsold Bioshock (PS3).
Didn't Bioshock PS3 do something like 13k first month?

Just the increased PS3 userbase should ensure more than that.

Mrbob

a Master Ninja said:

Hopefully companies are figuring out staggered releases are not good for your brand. People don't care as much anymore a year later. Tough to build up a market when it is non existent. Take Two had the same issue with Bioshock 2 on PS3. Sales were much lower because they didn't take the time to properly build the brand on the system with the first game hitting late.

Rolf NB

a Master Ninja said:
I can only speak for myself, but pretty much immediately after playing through the demo, I started my trusty text editor, opened my list of games on the radar, and marked it as "do not buy at any price". If it weren't for that demo, I would probably already have bought it.

Bioshock OTOH had a great demo and is a great game. Played the shit out of that, even got the platinum.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dead Space 2 -- 452K
Little Big Planet 2 -- 353K
DC Universe Online -- 195K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

EviLore said:
Dead Space 2 -- 452K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.
Oof. It's worse than I thought.

EviLore said:
Dead Space 2 -- 452K

Nice numbers for both LBP2 and DCUO, not too shabby for Dead Space 2 either

iammeiam

EviLore said:
Dead Space 2 -- 452K

That makes a really, really, really narrow window for spots 4 through 10--160K units. Yeesh.

fernoca

EviLore said:
Dead Space 2 -- 452K

:)
Thanks. Way more than I expected for LBP2 originally (under 200k) and even after the chart was posted (250k)

Kenka

Mmmmmh....

So what are we supposed to do without numbers ? Sit down and jerk off ? If there is one thing I'd like to ask from Nirolak and Evil, it would be #10 numbers in the individual format charts. It would give us a lower bound for anything here and give us a broader overiew of how the top software fared in comparision to other years.

edit : thanks !

apana

fernoca said:
Just like saying that 1+ million for Kinect Sports were an influence in Rare's troubles. :p
PR spin or not, I was just talking that it seems that in this "age" , even selling a million copies is (apparently) not enough. ;)

No number of copies would have been enough to prevent Disney from taking the steps that it did. The console business is just shit right now, better to move into these online casual/social games. They decided before they knew what the sales were going to be.

apana said:

That was Eurogamer who did the spin.

Disney's was upfront about their feelings:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/15/business/15mickey.html

"Disney says it is thrilled with the results for Epic Mickey, a game six years in the making. A spokeswoman for Disney Interactive Studios noted that the game, in which Mickey Mouse traverses a forbidding cartoon wasteland, was the fastest-selling single-platform game in the company’s history. "

CozMick

Banned
Why am I seeing those DS2 numbers as really poor?

The advertising push, the original, yet only 400k+ on all 3 platforms?

jman2050

So it seems Just Dance 2 is a monster, Zumba fitness makes me cry, and LBP2, taking into account holiday seasons and whatnot, will do about the same as the first, probably less.

RedStep

Kenka said:
Mmmmmh....

So what are we supposed to do without numbers ? Sit down and jerk off ? If there is one thing I'd like to ask from Nirolak and Evil, it would be #10 numbers in the individual format charts. It would give us a lower bound for anything here and give us a broader overiew of how the top software fared in comparision to other years.
Well, that's what I did.

Do you think it's the mods keeping the numbers from us?

CozMick said:

Because your standards for the sales of single-player, cinematic games released in 2011 is too high.

CozMick said:

It is for sure not blowing me away, but it is a solid number for the franchise after the first sold so poorly.

Diebuster

Nice to see LittleBigPlanet 2 selling well. Dead Space 2's numbers look kinda low for three platforms though it was released at the end of the month right?

Top Bottom