• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2011 [Up4: Analyst Data (Lots Of Games)]

Road

Diebuster said:
Nice to see LittleBigPlanet 2 selling well. Dead Space 2's numbers look kinda low for three platforms though it was released at the end of the month right?
PC games, retail only, missing digital etc.

Baki

353K is pretty shit for LBP2. Oh well, I'm guessing most people are waiting for a budget release.

Nirolak said:
It is notable that there was a giant snowstorm the week both DS2 and LBP2 came out.
In that case I hope there's a break in the weather this month. :(

edit: And if DC Universe Online came in at 195K DKCR and Epic Mickey must have had huge drop offs.

Baki said:
353K is pretty shit for LBP2. Oh well, I'm guessing most people are waiting for a budget release.

It's a 50% increase over the first month sales of the first one. It won't hit the numbers of the first one because it won't be bundled with every single device Sony ever puts out, but it's still a decent number.

Kusagari

DS2's sales are worse than I expected. LBP2 on the other hand surpassed all my expectations. I expected it to do worse than 1.

FoneBone

Patriotsbball5460 said:
It is for sure not blowing me away, but it is a solid number for the franchise after the first sold so poorly.
For comparison's sake, the first did around ~300K on PS3 and 360 combined in its first month. Not as much of an improvement as I'd expected.

Baki

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
It's a 50% increase over the first month sales of the first one. It won't hit the numbers of the first one because it won't be bundled with every single device Sony ever puts out, but it's still a decent number.

Well numbers for the entire month have not been that great either. Its too bad, because its such a great game which I thought had a very broad appeal.

fernoca

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
To be fair, the "first month" of the first game was under 5 days.

If anything..
LBP2 11 days (353k) = LBP 30 days (356k)

So is a better number in any case.

JohngPR

Great to see LBP2 and Dead Space 2 up there. It's like the little franchises that could grew up and are now on top of their game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kenka said:
Mmmmmh....

So what are we supposed to do without numbers ? Sit down and jerk off ? If there is one thing I'd like to ask from Nirolak and Evil, it would be #10 numbers in the individual format charts. It would give us a lower bound for anything here and give us a broader overiew of how the top software fared in comparision to other years.

edit : thanks !
You say this as if we have access to that information, which we don't.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Posted yet?
MS PR said:
Riding the momentum of its biggest year ever, Xbox 360 continued to drive strong console and software sales in the first month of the new year. Sustained consumer demand for Kinect helped propel Xbox 360 as the top selling console in January.

January NPD highlights include:
· Xbox 360 sold 381,000 units in January, up 48,000 units year-over-year. (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

· Xbox 360 is the only console platform to show year-over-year growth in January at 15 percent. (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

· Total retail spend on Xbox 360 topped $551 million, making it the top selling console platform for the 10th month in a row. (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

· During the month of January, four of the top ten console game titles were for Xbox 360 including: “Call of Duty: Black Ops,” “Dead Space 2,”“Dance Central,” and “Kinect Sports.” (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

Some lingering supply constraints coupled with high consumer demand led to continued pockets of shortages at retail. Microsoft anticipates this trend to improve through February, but will continue to work with retail and manufacturing partners to expedite production and shipments.

Kusagari said:
DS2's sales are worse than I expected. LBP2 on the other hand surpassed all my expectations. I expected it to do worse than 1.

Really? It has almost no competition from any big hitters right now, the first one has a ton of press and I think reached over 3m people (not sure if that includes bundles).

I expected it to do better but I blame a lot of other things (economy, advertising, etc ) on that.

I think it will eventually surpass the original easily.

fernoca said:
To be fair, the "first month" of the first game was under 5 days.

If anything..
LBP2 11 days (353k) = LBP 30 days (356k)

So is a better number in any case.

Ah, that puts perspective on it. I think it will break 1m in 2 months easily, then the price drop hopefully. I'm waiting to pick it up personally as I spent too much in 2010 I'm trying to curb the habit of HYPE -> GO BUY -> NOT PLAY MUCH down.

Dancing is in!

02. Just Dance 2 (WII) Ubisoft
05. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (WII, 360, PS3) Majesco
08. Dance Central (360) MTV Games
09. Michael Jackson The Experience* (WII, DS, PSP) Ubisoft

jvm said:
Riding the momentum of its biggest year ever, Xbox 360 continued to drive strong console and software sales in the first month of the new year. Sustained consumer demand for Kinect helped propel Xbox 360 as the top selling console in January.

January NPD highlights include:
· Xbox 360 sold 381,000 units in January, up 48,000 units year-over-year. (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

· Xbox 360 is the only console platform to show year-over-year growth in January at 15 percent. (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

· Total retail spend on Xbox 360 topped $551 million, making it the top selling console platform for the 10th month in a row. (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

· During the month of January, four of the top ten console game titles were for Xbox 360 including: “Call of Duty: Black Ops,” “Dead Space 2,”“Dance Central,” and “Kinect Sports.” (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

Some lingering supply constraints coupled with high consumer demand led to continued pockets of shortages at retail. Microsoft anticipates this trend to improve through February, but will continue to work with retail and manufacturing partners to expedite production and shipments.

edit: nope, can't read the first line obviously

user_nat said:
Didn't Bioshock PS3 do something like 13k first month?
Oh yeah, it might have been that dire for Bioshock. I guess it is pretty much impossible for ME2 to have done that poorly.
Rolf NB said:
I can only speak for myself, but pretty much immediately after playing through the demo, I started my trusty text editor, opened my list of games on the radar, and marked it as "do not buy at any price". If it weren't for that demo, I would probably already have bought it.

Bioshock OTOH had a great demo and is a great game. Played the shit out of that, even got the platinum.
Bioshock's demo was the best part of the game, whereas Mass Effect 2's demo pretty much the worst part of the game.

I'd say Mass Effect 2 is an overall better, more varied game than Bioshock, but who can blame PS3-only owners for ignoring it when they are missing half the story and the demo is a turn-off? All the motion comics in the world aren't going to give the Mass Effect franchise a foothold on the PS3 at this point.

MikeE21286 said:
So Wii outsold it then?

Wii > 360 > PS3

They said it was the highest selling console of the month. That could mean DS outsold it, though.

EDIT: So as not to look like the late poster I am, nice LBP2. Software is very down though.

Oh, and I'm sure some are aware that Nintendo doesn't really restock stuff until February, which helps to reduce the sales of its properties in January.

Celine

Jasper said:
Wii outsold 360!

It's MS PR fluff for 360!

If 360 had outsold the Wii, they surely would have stated that the 360 was the highest selling home console of the month....but they didn't.

Plus they ramble on about shortages, so they have an excuse for why they didn't come 1st.
derp ?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Jasper said:
Wii outsold 360!

It's MS PR fluff for 360!

If 360 had outsold the Wii, they surely would have stated that the 360 was the highest selling home console of the month....but they didn't.

Plus they ramble on about shortages, so they have an excuse for why they didn't come 1st.
LOL

Meh, I expected better DS2 numbers than this. Oh well, the first one never sold gangbusters to begin with, so this shouldn't come as a huge surprise. I'm sure over its lifetime, though, it will rack up respectable numbers.

TheOddOne said:
No, it doesn't.

Really?

Probably doesn't count handhelds though.

Top Bottom