• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

The release of January NPD Group data today provides a chance to reflect on the success of Xbox One. We are incredibly humbled and proud to see Xbox One continue to be the best launch of an Xbox in our history. Comparatively, Xbox One consoles have sold at a rate of 2.29 times faster than Xbox 360 in the U.S. in the same timeframe for the first three months on the market. From our blazing start out of the gate, we have continued to see Xbox One delight fans in 13 markets around the world, with many more markets to come this year.

More importantly, it is gratifying for our team to see Xbox continue to prove it’s the best place to play games. January NPD Group figures released today revealed Xbox* sold the most games across all console platforms in January

*Across Xbox One and Xbox 360

Chobel

Xbox One number calculations:

"Comparatively, Xbox One consoles have sold at a rate of 2.29 times faster than Xbox 360 in the U.S. in the same timeframe for the first three months on the market." - Microsoft PR

Xbox 360:

November 2005: 326K
December 2005: 281K
January 2006: 249K
=
Three month total: 856K

Xbox One:

November 2013: 909K
December 2013: 908K
=
Two month total: 1817K

So:
1817K + ???K January 2014 = (856K) * 2.29 times faster
1817K + ???K January 2014 = 1960K
Xbox One January 2014 sales = ~143K

PS4 is nearly double so that could mean PS4 is 280k-290k

kv0VAO2.png

Even in best case scenario i never expected 2:1 diffrence.

Chaostar

So MS went for the "we're doing well compared to last time" approach. OK then.

Can't believe PS4 nearly doubled XB1 sales,in the US no less!

I'd love to see numbers for how much software sold on Playstation* this month

*Playstation 3, Playstation 4, and PS Vita

LOCK

Really interested in Nintendo numbers.

I think the PS4 and X1 numbers are low. I hate to say it but the explosive start for these two are signs of the hardcore initials and that casuals are taking a break.

Of the top 10 overall games, PS4 represented the overall best selling version in 5 of the games? That's..... insane. Right? That seems pretty fucking crazy to me.

I get 144,118 from that math. Aquamarine, I have 281,441 for 360 in Dec 2005, not sure where that specific figure came from originally, though it was almost certainly in the NPD thread here on GAF that month.

Oh, and I got a nice chuckle from Microsoft's version of "Playstation Family". Xbox* is going to be the butt of a lot of jokes.

Yawnier

Banned
So, 143K-145K hardware sales for the Xbox One is subpar, right? Not as bad as Wii U sales last January but not the best for a new console either.

It's important to note that these are US PS4 sales with the demand outstripping supply as well for the most part in the month of January.

By most accounts, the XBOne was available for purchase pretty much anywhere.

Really interested in Nintendo numbers.

I think the PS4 and X1 numbers are low. I hate to say it but the explosive start for these two are signs of the hardcore initials and that casuals are taking a break.

Let us keep in mind that PS4 is still supply constrained. What PS4 sold represents what Sony could get into stores

I post here, in this most epic of threads, because I will look back in years to come at this as the beginning of... something. Either the beginning of the time we knew the Xbone was toast, or the time Microsoft decided they had to take some drastic action to get it back in to gear.

Because ~150K and half what your supply-constrained competitor did? That's some alarming shit.

Tratorn

Xbox One January 2014 sales = ~143K

So PS4 is < 286k? That's really low, too. I know it was sold out, but why does Sony ship so few units in 1 month? Pachter predicted they could ship 1,4m per month iirc. But if they didn't even ship 300k to US, this can't be right at all.

Sakura

I thought Xbox One had a big push for sports and fantasy football and all that, yet Madden and the other sports games are selling best on PS4?

So, 143K-145K hardware sales for the Xbox One is subpar, right? Not as bad as Wii U sales last January but not the best for a new console either.

Yes.

1st January PS3 - 244K

1st January 360 - 249K

1st January Wii U - 57K

1st January Xbox One - approx. 143K

ViciousDS

Banned
It's important to note that these are US PS4 sales with the demand outstripping supply as well for the most part in the month of January.

that's the sad part, the PS4 is in HUGE demand and its only going to get bigger with Japan's launch next week and infamous launching next month.....this thing is going to be the next wii in terms of availability.

On Demand

Banned
Which SKU sold more:

COD: Xbone
NBA: PS4
BF4: PS4
AC4: PS4
Madden: PS4
Fifa: PS4
Lego: Xbone
Tomb Raider: PS4

PS4 owners eatting up EA titles. If only another EA title releasing next month was coming out for PS4...

Hey. They're comfortable with their sales forecast.

Top Bottom