• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The numbers are bad all around and should be troubling to anyone who loves this hobby. There should be more pent up demand for these consoles. Sub 500k already is a very bad sign. We could see market contract to PS2 era in total sales or even less.

Take a look at the history of January sales after release. These are pretty inline for that (well at least the PS4).

It is more scary for XBO because you can find stacks of them in most stores.

Miles X

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You know I was going with a Fall 2015 4DS target since I figured you would have two years after all their biggest games were out, but Fall 2014 at this rate would be preferable.

That said, I don't think they can feasibly be ready by then.

The thing is also down 44.4% year over year in Japan with YTD sales so far.

Just think, Nirolak....

Nintendo 4DS Fall 2014

Lineup:

Super Haggle 2 Win Football Game
Smash Bros port
Steel Diver 2: Holy Shit
Super Luigi Emblem: Waifu HolyBaikal Edition

Taurus

]People see absolute decreases and panic when it's the nature of the market to get huge decreases in January.[/B]

Microsoft / Sony only want to brag when they can demonstrate big numbers for their new consoles, and January is not a "big number" month.

We got a concrete Xbox One number last month, but Sony didn't because it was lower than Xbox's number.
It's not healthy when everything's down yoy.

Amir0x

Banned
Whatever the case, hopes this leads to more proactive changes in XBO so that I can be happy getting it when it's $299.99

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Yes they do. That's actually one of the key reasons why Wii U January 2013 (57K) was so low.

DI9TxWb.gif

Curufinwe

Lol. The return of the family PR. Now, it's Microsoft's turn. Wow. They really fucked up with the X1. Next time, don't release a much weaker and more expensive console. With today's instant social media, no amount of marketing $$$ can save your product.

Their new console is flopping
The resolution's dropping
The crushed blacks are a'popping
The Xbox family

Proxy

A supply constrained PS4 sold nearly 900k during the Christmas period, if these estimates are correct it would mean that it has sold under 300k in January, that's a fall of 600k or 66% to those who prefer percentages. Supply constraints didn't stop Sony pulling big numbers before why would it suddenly start stopping them now?

Because they can only manufacture units so fast? Because Sony flew in portions of their January stock to help bolster December? Oh and on top of that they're also releasing in a major territory in a little over a week.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
300K doesn't seem especially great either.

PS4 was supply constrained and 250k puts it on par with the 360 and PS2 first Januarys. I think that's plenty enough to consider 250k a success.

FourMyle

So if that XBO HW number is right then that means PS4 sold around <286k. Wii U first January: 55k, PS4: <286k, XBO: ~143k

That must sting for all those people who kept saying the Wii U's historic failure was a sign of things to come for the PS4/XBO.

They're ok for Sony, but 280k is not enough for a leading platform in the USA to lift the market.

Sony's number isn't bad, but that Xbone number is a complete and utter disaster. My issue is not with any individual console though, but more the market as a whole. I wonder how much up YoY in terms of hardware sales this January is. I somehow doubt it's even up on 2011 or 2012 though...
Where are you expecting it to lift the market too though?

The market that Sony and Microsoft's consoles serves is reviving due to these launches.
The TTM for Sony+MS consoles was up from 7.3M in October to 8.4M in November.
And again up from that to around 9.06M in December.
We don't have 360 and PS3 numbers but they'd have to sell less than 60K combined for it not to be up again in January.

Historically their systems have hovered around a 10M TTM, probably peaking at 12M at some point during the generation.
They're not going to make up for the loss of the Wii Sports/Rock Band crowd.

Phediuk

The numbers are bad all around and should be troubling to anyone who loves this hobby. There should be more pent up demand for these consoles. Sub 500k already is a very bad sign. We could see market contract to PS2 era in total sales or even less.

It's pretty much guaranteed to be less than the PS2 era. There were over 200 million consoles sold that generation. This generation will be lucky to reach 150m.

Bruno MB

With regards to 3DS, given how poor it did last December why should we be expecting a year-over-year increase for this month? 3DS sales were very predictable, anyway we still don't know the exact number, it could be near 100k which would be terrible.

MS deserves this for not looking at their own sales data throughout the Xbox 360. It was a generation about good hardware power and core gaming first. Their top 20 month to month proved it and here we are where they did everything to push back against that obvious data. Hopefully they can get their ship in order.

jeffers

So if that XBO HW number is right then that means PS4 sold around <286k. Wii U first January: 55k, PS4: <286k, XBO: ~143k

That must sting for all those people who kept saying the Wii U's historic failure was a sign of things to come for the PS4/XBO.

Well someone doesnt understand statistics :p

Pain

Banned
360 and PS3 are still selling well for their age. Besides PS4/XB1 had really good launches.

dr_rus

Well, that happened faster than I anticipated. I thought that PS4's monthly lead will become substantial only after they fix the supply problem.

This means the ad budget for Titanfall will be so huge that we will be sick of seeing it by the time it releases. Doritos and Mountain Dew will never be the same.

Kriken

Pretty lackluster hardware numbers for 3DS, but Nintendo really shot themselves in the foot with no retail releases for the 3DS

KoopaTheCasual

This.... This is really not good at all

Thats no excuse and you know it. Both being below 300k and one being below 150k is fucking awful for this new generation. Im going to hold out because hopefully PS4 would have been much higher if they weren't supply constrained... But if we don't see a pickup, this looks awful.
Exactly where I'm standing. I give PS4 benefit of the doubt because of supply issues, but... Xbox has no excuse. Not a good showing at all.

Top Bottom