• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2015 [PS4 #1, Nintendo Numbers, XB1 Minimum]

Foshy

From Nintendo:

Nintendo games and systems closed 2014 with strong momentum, and that has carried over into 2015. Some Nintendo highlights from the January NPD report include:

· Sales of Wii U hardware and software increased by nearly 30 percent and nearly 45 percent, respectively, over the same month last year.

mh
Wii U: 49K
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100765652&postcount=2801

so about 65k

No, there hasn't been a PS4 bundle anywhere other than overpriced on Ebay or Amazon since December.

oh alright. wasn't sure.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Also wonder how much hardware sales were down because of the 3DS. How many people were looking to buy one when the new one is out in Feb

Ascenion

Not sure why the price increase would affect sales really for XB1. It was only 399 for like a week and anyone who didn't want to buy it due to the increase would have just bought it the next week for 349. I don't see where it would cause a real loss of sales.

I would imagine it killed momentum. Say all your friends got an Xbox one for Christmas and now you want one, but the price shot up. You'd likely hold off until it dropped again since now that seems to have become a trend so obvious the uninformed consumer can pick up on it. They basically killed their momentum for what reason I don't know.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Sales of Wii U hardware and software increased by nearly 30 percent and nearly 45 percent, respectively, over the same month last year.

It liveeesss!!!!!

Super Smash Wii U & 3DS 180k + Pokemon 150k. That's a solid result! Good on Ninty. Where my amiibo data at?

Toki767

Hardware is down.

"While software sales were up hardware was down big time from $239.6 million to $185.5 million."

That makes it sound like Xbox One in January 2015 didn't outsell Xbox One in January 2014 by that much. Definitely interested to see the number.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Not sure why the price increase would affect sales really for XB1. It was only 399 for like a week and anyone who didn't want to buy it due to the increase would have just bought it the next week for 349. I don't see where it would cause a real loss of sales.

MS has created uncertainty with their constant bundles and price drops. Going back up to drop two weeks later pretty much killed their momentum.

VinFTW

Expected hardware sales, do we know the difference?

Kind of shocked by software sales, wonder what's going on there. Good for XBO.

Think they need some more appealing bundles rather than just a base console w/ a price drop to stay competitive with the PS4.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yeah, I was taken aback when I saw GTA 5 selling better on Xbone than PS4. Any Theories on this?

recent new xbone owners in the us. also we don't know how much more ps4 actually sold yet nor do we know actual numbers on software sales...might have been pretty close in both regards.

there's not that big of a difference in install bases. and the larger pre-holiday ps4 install base probably already bought these games back in November and October.

ZhugeEX

Banned
From Nintendo:

Nintendo games and systems closed 2014 with strong momentum, and that has carried over into 2015. Some Nintendo highlights from the January NPD report include:

· Sales of Wii U hardware and software increased by nearly 30 percent and nearly 45 percent, respectively, over the same month last year.

· Super Smash Bros. for Wii U added more than 90,000 combined physical and digital units to bring its lifetime total to more than 1.4 million total units in the U.S.

· Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire sold more than 150,000 combined physical and digital units, bringing their combined lifetime total to more than 2.7 million total units in the United States alone.

· Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS sold more than 90,000 combined physical and digital units in its fifth month on the market, bringing its lifetime total to more than 2.1 million total units in the United States alone.

On Feb. 13, Nintendo will launch the New Nintendo 3DS XL system with four unique SKUs to choose from. The new system will launch alongside two highly anticipated titles: The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Exactly one month later on March 13, portable gaming fans will be able to play Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.

In just a few days on Feb. 20, Wii U fans will get the chance to experience Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. A few months later in May, gamers will get the chance to play one of the more anticipated titles of the year in Splatoon.

*Data regarding physical sales of games are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers, unless otherwise stated, are specific to the United States only.

I wish they'd give an update on Hyrule Warriors. That game is my life!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, we have a more detailed PR from Nintendo, good.

Don't the SSB numbers mean the game sold basically the same on both 3DS and Wii U this month?

”PlayStation 4 was the top selling console in January, it and remains the cumulative leader in the U.S., according to NPD data,” an SCEA spokesperson told GamesBeat. “Since launch in November 2013, 18.5 million PS4 units and 81.8 million software units have been sold through to consumers worldwide.”
Under 100k PS4s worldwide in January confirmed? :p

An updated number would have been nice.

BokehKing

Banned
I wonder how long it'll be before MS can take a month again. November with Halo/CoD? Sounds familiar.

Halo/Cod/Tomb Raider
All Bundled
Plus probably $299 (basing it off the fact it was $350 plus free shit last november)

If they don't win November/December then............that's a problem

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So when is MS gonna stop foolin' themselves with the "limited time only" $350 price and just make it permanent?

Road

I get Wii U at 64k for January 2015.

Edit: slow.

Back to the usual.

Honestly, with the Xbone at $50 less and a free game, what is Microsofts next plan of attack?

Because Sony will not have another bad holiday for the PS4 again. 1886 was supposed to be their holiday game, but when that got delayed, they were left with their pants around their ankles. Won't happen in holiday 2015.

The Order 1886 wouldn't have change absolutely nothing on holiday 2014.

The entire reason the PS4 lost was due to the aggressive pricing strategy from Microsoft. And Sony will lose every holiday season if they don't fight the price war with the same intensity as Microsoft.

· Super Smash Bros. for Wii U added more than 90,000 combined physical and digital units to bring its lifetime total to more than 1.4 million total units in the U.S.

So Smash was 90k on Wii U physical+ digital and NPD lists Wii U version before 3DS version which would mean that nr. 6 on top 10 list has <180k sales ?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Shouldn't the OP be updated to reflect that Xbox One sold over 140k this month? The tweet said MS had a record January for X1 sales so that means over 140k.

Derpyduck

Banned
Must be that highly contagious redefining flu going around at the Polygon office.

All you're doing is giving him fuel now. He's right, people here saying it was only a week are wrong.

Holiday consoles need games.

PS4s need games too. Mine for example received a lot of games over the holidays. The main difference between the two consoles thus far has been the hire attach rate on Xbox One.

BokehKing

Banned
The Order 1886 wouldn't have change absolutely nothing on holiday 2014.

The entire reason the PS4 lost was due to the aggressive pricing strategy from Microsoft. And Sony will lose every holiday season if they don't fight the price war with the same intensity as Microsoft.

do they have to fight the price war though?
Microsoft had to drop the price (alot) and give away free shit, just to win
Now that all that 'free free free' stuff is gone, and it's just sitting at $350...it didn't win...

Microsoft has to do things to sell the system, Sony just has to exist in order to sell their system.

I still predict Microsoft to win next november with another fire sale.
But lets not act like the Uncharted Bundle won't do numbers

This is probably a narrow win for Sony on hardware. The software being so mixed tells a story of very small margins and reflects the fact that both consoles were near-equal LTD at the end of 2014.

Yeah, I was taken aback when I saw GTA 5 selling better on Xbone than PS4. Any Theories on this?
A little surprising, but far from shocking. Hardware numbers in the US are very close for now, is all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So the Wii U is up YOY?! Adds to my theory that 2015 will be the Wii U's peak year.

Post Mario Kart will be the biggest challenge, since it was pretty dire up until that launched.

Not that it wasn't dire afterwards, but decidedly less so.

Reviews of Dying Light seemed a bit low and some suspected because reviewers had to pay for their copies that they underscored the game. It is good to see Dying Light selling well despite the scores.

Top Bottom