• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2015 [PS4 #1, Nintendo Numbers, XB1 Minimum]

Feichaw

I forgot this was supposed to be released today. I'm surprised that SSB for Wii U outsold the 3DS version. Wasn't expecting that.

Do we already know something about Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
So what is eating up Console sales? Are people building PCs for LoL and Dota 2? Is it smartphones and tablets? Both?

Is there data for smartphone / tablet sales in January?

Xenus

That's a sure thing as you can tell how these machines are made up hardware wise. Last gen dragged on well beyond it's welcome. These machines are designed price efficiently and will drop in manufacturing costs quickly, the consumer is more adjusted (conditioned) to new hardware hitting soon, and overall technology (hardware and software wise) will evolve pretty fast I think. Throw in the inevitable UHD/4K take over in time, new hardware will be needed.

In fact, we may see new hardware sooner than in the past this time. If that's the case, we'll probably get one more generation of "traditional" consoles while the world plays catch up with infrastructures for streaming. Good, effective hardware is cheap, and I can't see even Sony putting in something "exotic" into their next machine, kind of like how the most "exotic" thing in the PS4 is it's RAM.

I think it'll be shorter then last but not really shorter then normal. Big leap I see nextgen is HBMC and the like. Could potentially push bandwidth over 1TB/s and if we get the usual 8x the amount of RAM that couls be glorious. Not sure we have the sotrage tech to keep that beast fed though.

Yeah I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't fly off shelves either, but I listed it since I could at least see it appeal to someone who liked L4D as opposed to someone who bought a PS4 at launch like The Order.

That and the list of alternative titles isn't a long one. I was really hopeful for Evolve too. But since 2K picked it up for the cost of a bag of chips in the THQ fire sale it looks like someone there wanted to use this as some kind of DLC testing ground. Might have backfired on them, who knows. It's a shame, the market needed it to do well.

My fingers are crossed for the other titles you mentioned...

I have no doubt that the jump back up to $399 was leading to such low sales that they had no choice but to make the "deal" a little closer to permanent.

All around disappointing sales even by Jan standards for all three. But that's kind of to be expected given their lives so far this gen. WiiU completely in the gutter, PS4 and One hovering around Xbox and between Xbox and GCN units. Both seem to have fairly exceptional holiday months overall though.

Just a strange damn generation so far.

sense

If I am understanding the above correctly, one should expect the launch month at 500k? Wouldn't that be on par to Infamous: Second Son where it did well it's first month only to disappear the next month after.

I don't have much faith in the title, but I could be mistaken. You are much more connected to retail than I am though.

lets puts things in perspective here first. when you say you don't have high hopes, what do you expect the sales to be in the US in February? i am looking for a ballpark as to what your barometer is for success and failure?

i am guessing like 400k in the US for february npd. I would say selling like 1-1.5 million worldwide in the first month would be a success for a new ip on one system.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No gen should be that long again. Also people over analyze single months too much. Big picture is that the X1 and PS4 install base is still higher than at this time last gen.

Also I think MS ruined the value of both consoles during the holidays. People I'd wager are thinking Sony will respond soon as well.

I guess I don't get this argument on its own. Not saying there isn't some merit to it, but there are approximately 15 million more people in our country now than there were at that time. Plus, our economy is better.

ascii42

what were the price points of the consoles listed in the January 2008?
Average transaction price would be helpful here, since there were multiple SKUs available. Since I don't have that, this is from memory:
Wii: $250
X360: $350
PS3: $400
PS2: $129
NDS: $129
PSP: $199

Derpyduck

Banned
Last I checked that bundle was officially OOS on Amazon, and I think some people were saying sales for the bundle were slowing down even before the price went back up.

The new bundle is just the system and a controller, nothing else. It's basically the Kinectless model from last year but $50 less.

When you think about it, $50 off in and of itself isn't really a big deal between which console you pick up. MS removed all the real incentives but they couldn't realistically keep them either; they'd lose too much money. Most price-conscious people wait until the holidays to shop for consoles anyway.

Where are you getting this info from? Amazon has had the AC bundle since the game released. It's not out of stock now. It's just not listed by default from Amazon because Amazon's resellers are selling it for less than they are and including free shipping.

Last I checked that bundle was officially OOS on Amazon, and I think some people were saying sales for the bundle were slowing down even before the price went back up.

The new bundle is just the system and a controller, nothing else. It's basically the Kinectless model from last year but $50 less.

When you think about it, $50 off in and of itself isn't really a big deal between which console you pick up. MS removed all the real incentives but they couldn't realistically keep them either; they'd lose too much money. Most price-conscious people wait until the holidays to shop for consoles anyway.

I didn't realize that. I thought all the bundles were standard now with those 2 games, like Ps4 is now with tlour.

and yeah, $50 inherently isn't a big deal but putting it next to a product that is $50 more, it does mean something, you know. and referring to the last thing you said, I think that's why phil spencer (I think) said the real race is september, october, november, december.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Even with the excuse of the price bump back to $399 for some days, i still think that the xbox one number is dreadful for microsoft.

Man, the console is at least 100 bucks less than january last year, and they only sold ~12k more consoles.

P.S: The Ps4 number isn't great either, but at least the console is the same price as 12 months ago, and the sales of last january were inflated by the holidays shortage.

That and the list of alternative titles isn't a long one. I was really hopeful for Evolve too. But since 2K picked it up for the cost of a bag of chips in the THQ fire sale it looks like someone there wanted to use this as some kind of DLC testing ground. Might have backfired on them, who knows. It's a shame, the market needed it to do well.

My fingers are crossed for the other titles you mentioned...

Evolve won't bomb dont worry. It just may not set the charts on fire. If Dying Light is uner 500k but over 400k thats probably a good guesstimate range for Evolve. Give or take a bit.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So what is eating up Console sales? Are people building PCs for LoL and Dota 2? Is it smartphones and tablets? Both?

Is there data for smartphone / tablet sales in January?

WTF? Why is everyone freaking out over a single month of hardly any games debuting and comparing that to a launch window month in one territory?

Just last month people were celebrating over Sony getting to 18.5 million, and the holidays went exceptionally well for everyone. Now all of sudden everyone is doomed and the console gen is going to be cut short?

This mood whipslash every single time weak numbers come out really tires me out

Krakn3Dfx

I imagine with the PS4 being the only console with some big titles coming out between now and almost all the way to the holidays, PSQuad will hold the lead again up until November unless something major happens.

Just checking in: I saw on previous pages guesses of the Vita at 16k or 39% of 100k (so 39k) for January. What was the consensus guess?

I didn't realize cream had a Xenoblade avatar. Would have saved me time.

Not really quite sure if selling just 180,000 is good for Smash 4 just 3-4 months after release. Then again it is January. I wonder if it'll be able to add another million the end of the year.

Also, we don't have handheld numbers this time around?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
A quick gander at the release charts suggests software sales won't make great year over year comparisons for the first half without some surprise hits.

Last year had Watch Dogs and Titanfall.

Do not be afraid. Bloodbourne has at least 900 million internet preorders.

Evolve won't bomb dont worry. It just may not set the charts on fire. If Dying Light is uner 500k but over 400k thats probably a good guesstimate range for Evolve. Give or take a bit.

Oh. Well that's actually pretty good then. Was the benchmarking too aggressive?

The whole idea of "Fewer/Bigger" relies on those fewer actually delivering. Basically, the risk of slates getting smaller with bigger bets is that more of those big bets have to deliver than they did before.

That said, no way am I buying that game with that DLC strategy. It's pretty gross.

Do not be afraid. Bloodbourne has at least 900 million internet preorders.

Have you seen Call of Bloodborne?

MS should just be content with the fact that the machine is selling fine and being number 2 doesn't mean you're losing.

If the division is profitable nobody gives a fuck if you come in "1st place"

Also, the xbox brand is too big so you don't have to worry about being in 2nd place has something that's going to diminish brand value.

Hate to bust out car analogies, but everybody knows BMW is the best german car manufacturer, yet people still buy Mercs and Audi's.

Curufinwe

WTF? Why is everyone freaking out over a single month of hardly any games debuting and comparing that to a launch window month in one territory?

Just last month people were celebrating over Sony getting to 18.5 million, and the holidays went exceptionally well for everyone. Now all of sudden everyone is doomed and the console gen is going to be cut short?

This mood whipslash every single time weak numbers come out really tires me out

Me too.

Elios83

but we can't use that as an indication for the entire north america can we?

Other online retailers as well, those are the only indicators we have until the next NPD report.
And so far they have worked well and have been accurate so no reason to discount them now.
Microsoft is selling less than PS4 even at 349$ without the help of the extra free games and gift cards and that's a problem for them.
Sony is simply in the phase where they need to prepare for stage two of their PS4 business plan, there really is nothing to see, success must be cultivated, Sony must cut the price and release more quality games if they want PS4 sales to keep their pace, if they rest on their laurels they're in for significant yoy declines.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oh. Well that's actually pretty good then. Was the benchmarking too aggressive?

The whole idea of "Fewer/Bigger" relies on those fewer actually delivering. Basically, the risk of slates getting smaller with bigger bets is that more of those big bets have to deliver than they did before.

That said, no way am I buying that game with that DLC strategy. It's pretty gross.

Oh, I thought you were going to say it needed to do well to prove that the DLCmageddon strategy could successfully raise the MSRP of a game!

MS should just be content with the fact that the machine is selling fine and being number 2 doesn't mean you're losing.

If the division is profitable nobody gives a fuck if you come in "1st place"

Also, the xbox brand is too big so you don't have to worry about being in 2nd place has something that's going to diminish brand value.

Hate to bust out car analogies, but everybody knows BMW is the best german car manufacturer, yet people still buy Mercs and Audi's.

Are BMWs cheaper than those Audis and Mercs and do they come bundled with some extra tires?

Top Bottom