• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2017 (We also have platform charts)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Overall Results:

January retail game sales are down 4% year over year.

Hardware was down 19% year over year.

Console and Handheld game sales were up 14% year over year.

Physical and Steam PC software sales (for AAA games) were down 12% year over year.

Software Results:

January 2016:
  1. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  2. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  3. Grand Theft Auto V
  4. Battlefield 1
  5. NBA 2K17
  6. Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
  7. Madden NFL 17
  8. Watch Dogs 2
  9. Overwatch*
  10. FIFA 17
*Does not include Battle.net sales

Notes:
- ”Video games software spending increased by 14 percent to $313 million," NPD analyst Sam Naji said in a statement. ”This was due in large part to the stronger comparison this January with the release of Capcom's Resident Evil 7: Biohazard."

January Hardware:

PS4: #1
XB1: Best January Ever
NES Classic: #3 (excluding handhelds)

Notes:
- ”The PlayStation 4 was the best-selling hardware (in units sold) during January 2017," said Naji. ”And for the fourth consecutive month, PlayStation 4 Slim System 500GB Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Bundle was the top-selling PS4 sku in terms of units sold."

Other Information:

Here are some more charts:

SGDPTJ5.jpg

VmqBS2j.jpg

GunBR

Tales is in the PS4 top 10 and Yakuza no?

I know that we can't expect huge (or even good) sales from Yakuza, but Tales is also a niche game.

Orayn

January retail game sales are down 4% year over year.

Hardware was down 19% year over year.

Console and Handheld game sales were down 14% year over year.

Physical and Steam PC software sales (for AAA games) were down 12% year over year.

The industry's dyin', Cloud.

Kind of kidding but not really.

sense

interesting to see the uncharted bundle move more units than the infinite warfare bundle. thought cod would be a more popular choice among mainstream audience.

Aki-at

No Yakuza in top ten, America you have failed us yet again :(

I wasn't even expecting it even in the top 20 but surprised to see Tales managed top ten.

On Demand

Banned
Why so early?

Is the all platform/model charts still based on revenue like the top ten, or unit sales?

______

Nevermind. Just saw the "dollar sales" note.

Pointless.

Tales is in the PS4 top 10 and Yakuza no?

I know that we can't expect huge (or even good) sales from Yakuza, but Tales is also a niche game.

I'm pretty sure Tales has historically always sold better than Yakuza. Symphonia broke a million and I don't think any of the Yakuzas have managed that.

Plus weren't there issues with Yakuza 0 having low shipments and selling out in a lot of places?

interesting to see the uncharted bundle move more units than the infinite warfare bundle. thought cod would be a more popular choice among mainstream audience.
Some on Gaf figured it would be more of a draw as well.

I think that people are just really down on Infinite Warfare.

Icolin

Banned
Great to see RE7 at the top. Fantastic revitalization of the franchise, and hopefully RE8 will go in the same direction.

Aki-at

I'm pretty sure Tales has historically always sold better than Yakuza. Symphonia broke a million and I don't think any of the Yakuzas have managed that.

Plus weren't there issues with Yakuza 0 having low shipments and selling out in a lot of places?

Isn't that global sales? First two Yakuza (Or at least 2) managed over a million sales thanks to Japan and Asia.

Bruno MB

Cumulative sales of the best selling Yakuza title barely match Tales of Zestiria launch month sales.

The fact that Tales of Berseria is above Final Fantasy XV (PlayStation 4 chart) gives me hopes that it sold on par with the previous entry.

Top Bottom