• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2013 [Up2: 3DS Minimum, AC:NL, LM2/NSMBU LTDs, Xbox 360]

qq more

I have a plan for Nintendo. Scrap the system, release Wii 2 fall of 14 and pretend the Wii U really was just a tablet add on for the Wii.

I think it might just work.

What about those that already bought a Wii U? I would be pissed if they scrap a console I bought not too long ago.

Never understood Minecraft's popularity. Even little kids know about it. They want Minecraft birthday themed parties now, $250 Minecraft fondant cakes, Minecraft colors during the parties. Crazy!

It's the new Lego. Doesn't seem so crazy when you look at it like that.

What about those that already bought a Wii U? I would be pissed if they scrap a console I bought not too long ago.

Trade in discount. At least Nintendo would have a chance.

Duxxy3

I have a funny feeling that when they're being fire-sold a lot of people will pick one up and then post LTTP threads about how great the device is. By then it'll be too late :(

I bought my vita w 16gb card, 2 games and other accessories for 160. Unless Sony is cutting the system to that price and that value, I don't think the system is going anywhere.

Loris146

The PS3 had software, with the promise of a lot more down the road from 3rd parties. People could justify splurging for its expensive entry cost if they really wanted to buy into the Sony brand.

Honestly, if Wii U is at ~30k this month I'd be surprised. The first and second quarter 2013 has been the Long Walk into the Cursed Earth for the system with almost no content and nearly total silence from 3rd parties outside of Ubisoft.

What? Are you serious? Motorstorm and Resistance?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Do what?

Great game, should have been on a grander scale like say.. PS3/360 than the 3DS.

Lmao. Have you played SMTIV?

Do you have sn idea of the budget it would take to replicate something like that even on 360 technology?

Atlus isn't Bethesda, duder.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Galaxy 2 and DKCR should have been the Wii's swan songs, and Wii U should have launched with Skyward Sword and Kirby in 2011. Hindsight.

Pociask

So if I understand this correctly, there's a good chance Pikmin 3 could TRIPLE Wii U sales, and the Wii U would still sell less than the 360.

Idonteven...

Sakura

I have a plan for Nintendo. Scrap the system, release Wii 2 fall of 14 and pretend the Wii U really was just a tablet add on for the Wii.

I think it might just work.

Those nine...thousand... consumers really make the difference...

That sounds like an awful plan. They would be really killing a lot of their fanbase off if they just abandon systems after a year of not selling well. It would make me lose confidence in buying Nintendo machines.

AniHawk

vita and wii u sales didn't drop too much from june to july.

vita did 27k in june, right? that's 5.4k a week. 16k for july is 4k a week.

the wii u dropped a similar amount. 42k for june was 8.4k a week. 29k for july is 7.25k.

Miles X

Just did some rough calculations and it'll be very close as to whether 360 overtakes Wii in December NPD, if not then, then January.

Ridley327

Do you have sn idea of the budget it would take to replicate something like that even on 360 technology?

Even Nocturne was a decidedly low-budget affair, but I don't care about that in regards to both that and IV because they're both fantastic.

Sakura

Do what?

Great game, should have been on a grander scale like say.. PS3/360 than the 3DS.

That wouldn't really make any sense for them. The budget to create the game would increase greatly, but sales would likely stay around 70k~100k.

That makes sense. Everything is digital so it makes perfect sense.

Even the toys inside Cracker Jacks at baseball games is a digital download code, LoL!

Everything is a remix and all that.

That sounds like an awful plan. They would be really killing a lot of their fanbase off if they just abandon systems after a year of not selling well. It would make me lose confidence in buying Nintendo machines.

I would rather lose 3 million potential sales, than say... 50 million.

qq more

Trade in discount. At least Nintendo would have a chance.

I fail to see how this would make me feel any better. In the end, my money would still be on a console that gets abandoned right away. Unless the discount would be a lot bigger than I'm imagining right now.

Also, wouldn't Nintendo bleed more money from this?

Its not helping that Walmart appears to be removing WiiU from inventory, same as its overseas counterpart.

Been in my nearby walmart many times and its been out of stock. Went their yesterday and now the shelf was redone with only Wii prices listed. Basically completely removed Wii U areas for hardware.

I think Walmart has 100% removed it from their stores for now. Hell, the white 8gb option isn't even listed on their website anymore. Wondering if they are just finishing off last stock via website and then bam, gone completely.

Effect

Not surprised Wii U sales continue be horrible. There is not a single damn advertisement on TV for the thing. It's not going to sell at all unless they do that. I doubt Pikmin 3 got anything as well. I know there is a commercial but has anyone ever seen it on TV? I haven't.

Come the next several months I expect Microsoft and Sony to ramp up their advertising. I hate saying this, event as Wii U owner, if Nintendo does not advertise heavily during those months as well then Nintendo deserves to have the Wii U fail. If things turn out how I think they will this will indeed by my last Nintendo home console regardless of the games they release for the system going forward. Doesn't matter if they release a even more powerful system next that puts Sony and Microsof to shame. Not going through this again. I'll stick with their hand helds and call it a day.

Talk of them scrapping the system doesn't really fix anything. They'll just refuse to advertise that system as well.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That's like 4k per week for the Vita.

It was never this bad in Japan...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Do you think the budget it would take to replicate something like that even on 360 technology?

No, I haven't played SMT IV, at all.
0Uf7pN3.jpg

If Index wasn't in trouble, I don't see why they couldn't have.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Not in the first 9 months when it was $600

Checking Wikipedia for its releases from November 2006 through say, August 2007, it still had more than what Wii U has had.

I'd think it also mattered that people wouldn't be expecting 3rd parties to utterly abandon it. Plus anticipating Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, etc.

FZZ

Banned
Galaxy 2 and DKCR should have been the Wii's swan songs, and Wii U should have launched with Skyward Sword and Kirby in 2011. Hindsight.

They should've done this and had Minecraft exclusivity in the works, then holiday 2012 they'd have NSMBU.

Seriously the system could've been in a MUCH better scenario than it is today. But oh well, you reap what you sow.

The budget to create the game would increase greatly, but sales would likely stay around 70k~100k.

Would it? because even p4g on Vita was 100k+ after 1 month. The game would have definitely got a lot more attention on consoles. Hell Catherine(a fucking puzzle game) had higher numbers than this.

Metallix87

Would it? because even p4g on Vita was 100k+ after 1 month. The game would have definitely got a lot more attention on consoles. Hell Catherine(a fucking puzzle game) had higher numbers than this.

Persona is a bigger franchise. Let's wait until Persona 3DS comes out before making comparisons like that.

AniHawk

vita and wii u sales didn't drop too much from june to july.

vita did 27k in june, right? that's 5.4k a week. 16k for july is 4k a week.

the wii u dropped a similar amount. 42k for june was 8.4k a week. 29k for july is 7.25k.

to expand on this:

360: june: 28k/w | july: 26.7k/w
ps3: june: 21.6k/w | july: 19.75k/w
3ds: june: 45k/w | july: 35.25k/w

3ds's sales were boosted by the animal crossing bundle. everything else dropped by a very similar amount from month to month, about 1-2k a week.

i know that vita and wii u sales aren't great, but context is important. they aren't in some sort of freefall.

Not surprised Wii U sales continue be horrible. There is not a single damn advertisement on TV for the thing. It's not going to sell at all unless they do that. I doubt Pikmin 3 got anything as well. I know there is a commercial but has anyone ever seen it on TV? I haven't.

Come the next several months I expect Microsoft and Sony to ramp up their advertising. I hate saying this, event as Wii U owner, if Nintendo does not advertise heavily during those months as well then Nintendo deserves to have the Wii U fail. If things turn out how I think they will this will indeed by my last Nintendo home console regardless of the games they release for the system going forward. Doesn't matter if they release a even more powerful system next that puts Sony and Microsof to shame. Not going through this again. I'll stick with their hand helds and call it a day.

Talk of them scrapping the system doesn't really fix anything. They'll just refuse to advertise that system as well.

I saw the Pikmin3 commercial on cartoon network. But in general, yeah it was the first Wii U related commercial I've seen this year I believe.

I doubt the 17k number was chosen at random. 16,xxx seems likely.

I have a funny feeling that when they're being fire-sold a lot of people will pick one up and then post LTTP threads about how great the device is. By then it'll be too late :(

I am waiting for a significant price drop/clearance to use one as a PS4 companion and a PSone classic title player. The system looks nice it's just too damn expensive, especially with the memory card situation.

Wii U is on death's door though. Sub 32K? In it's first year? That is abysmal. Nobody should ever again be allowed to reference 3DS or PS3 to compare their situations.

They should've done this and had Minecraft exclusivity in the works, then holiday 2012 they'd have NSMBU.

Seriously the system could've been in a MUCH better scenario than it is today. But oh well, you reap what you sow.

What would they have used to fill out 2011 and 2012 though? We're just now seeing the release of promised first-party games.

And I don't think it would have been doable for them to release the 3DS and Wii U around the same time.

Top Bottom