• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2013 [Up2: 3DS Minimum, AC:NL, LM2/NSMBU LTDs, Xbox 360]

Dalthien

The handheld market is not reverting to GBA levels. I don't think some people here realize exactly how well the GBA sold. Looking it back it was an insane risk to launch the DS because no matter what they said they couldn't go back to the gba when they stop developing games for it, so they essentially killed a record breaking platform. It makes me wonder where the hell that company is at right now

Yeah, it pretty much is reverting to GBA levels. Through 9 quarters, the GBA was at 33.81M, and the 3DS is at 32.48M after 10 quarters. As pointed out,the GBA was a lot cheaper, and Ruby/Sapphire had already been released within those first 9 quarters. There are regional differences in the sales (3DS is weaker in the US, stronger elsewhere), but the worldwide numbers are similar.

In addition, for as badly as the Vita is selling, it will still do better than the NGage+Wonderswan pulled in that generation. It's still pretty much the same market overall.

Yeah, it pretty much is reverting to GBA levels. Through 9 quarters, the GBA was at 33.81M, and the 3DS is at 32.48M after 10 quarters. As pointed out,the GBA was a lot cheaper, and Ruby/Sapphire had already been released within those first 9 quarters. There are regional differences in the sales (3DS is weaker in the US, stronger elsewhere), but the worldwide numbers are similar.

In addition, for as badly as the Vita is selling, it will still do better than the NGage+Wonderswan pulled in that generation. It's still pretty much the same market overall.

Software numbers are probaly way worse for 3DS though.

Dalthien

Software numbers are probaly way worse for 3DS though.

GBA through 9 quarters was 108.9M (with Pokemon)
3DS through 10 quarters is 106.04M (without Pokemon)

It's very similar.

And again - as bad as the Vita is doing, it's still selling a whole lot more software than the NGage+Wonderswan did that gen.

GBA through 9 quarters was 108.9M (with Pokemon)
3DS through 10 quarters is 106.04M (without Pokemon)

It's very similar.

And again - as bad as the Vita is doing, it's still selling a whole lot more software than the NGage+Wonderswan did that gen.

Oh. That is pretty low for GBA. It seems that PSP actually wasn't that bad software wise during its early years (133.6 million for first ten quarters).

edit: Didn't see that there was one quarter difference in your GBA and DS numbers.... so 3DS is somewhat worse.

I guess smt5 will be on the 3ds at the end of its lifespan.

Sorry i was talking specifically the us because in japan the 3ds will blow away gba sales. In the US however, it is significantly behind and yes the 99 price was big in that but that's nintendo's fault for designing an expensive handheld.

Ouch, well pokemon, zelda, monster hunter,and mario party should be a nice boost there

Not sure that even with those 3DS will actually catch the pace of DS software. DS was in beast mode after those 10 quarters. it actually doubled its software totals during following four quarters. ( to 369.61 million)

Why? The DS had the touch generations evergreens and nsmb was also a beast. It was why i found the psp piracy excuse a lame attempt to excuse mediocre sales
PSP was not even that bad in software front in the beginning. 133.6 million for first ten quarters which is actually more than 3DS....

Not sure that even with those 3DS will actually catch the pace of DS software. DS was in beast mode after those 10 quarters. it actually doubled its software totals during following four quarters. ( to 369.61 million)

Of course not, but 3ds is matched with the psp right now which doesn't look great when its the only relevant handheld

PSP was not even that bad in software front in the beginning. 133.6 million for first ten quarters which is actually more than 3DS....
I'm inclined to agree. Even with these big hitters, the handheld market isn't what it was during the DS' heyday. In fact, I think the dedicated portable console market has peaked.

It would be nice to see Nintendo reducing the price of the 3DS further though. The close they can bring it to the £/$100 mark, the better.

I'm inclined to agree. Even with these big hitters, the handheld market isn't what it was during the DS' heyday. In fact, I think the dedicated portable console market has peaked.

It would be nice to see Nintendo reducing the price of the 3DS further though. The close they can bring it to the £/$100 mark, the better.

There will certainly be a price drop after the fy is over. Regular should be 129 and XL159

Direct numbers from Nintendos financial reports so yes.
Thank you!
Yeah. With that line up it should at least pass PSPs software pace.
Well they still have the Console Redesign card to play, along side with a traditional but cheaper model. But thats material for 2014 and beyond XD
To clarify, they include just digital sales of retail titles. They don't include sales for digital only titles.
I was going to ask that. Makes things interesting but at the same time a lot more complex.

Myshkin

data point

Checked my local Walmart in Florida. The Wii-U now has almost an entire panel to itself, including a hardware unit in box. This is up from earlier. It seems to have cut into 360 space, which used to have 2 whole panels. No working demo units of anything. There is a screen playing a Wii-U ad, and another playing a SEN ad.

[And XL colors are black, blue, red, pink - if you're wondering about the pink!]

I thought these Dreamcast comparisons were foolish some months ago, but now? That has definitely changed.

um I think the difference was even more in favor of the dreamcast previously. Somone with the numbers would be good but this might be the closest the wiiu has come to selling as "well" as the dreamcast?

um I think the difference was even more in favor of the dreamcast previously. Somone with the numbers would be good but this might be the closest the wiiu has come to selling as "well" as the dreamcast?

The Dreamcast had a better launch, but sales have been neck-and-neck since January.

January 2000 - July 2000 sales, Dreamcast: ~355k

January 2013 - July 2013 sales, Wii U: ~332k

This is not the closest month they have had. Wii U even outsold the Dreamcast in a few months.

data point

Checked my local Walmart in Florida. The Wii-U now has almost an entire panel to itself, including a hardware unit in box. This is up from earlier. It seems to have cut into 360 space, which used to have 2 whole panels. No working demo units of anything. There is a screen playing a Wii-U ad, and another playing a SEN ad.

[And XL colors are black, blue, red, pink - if you're wondering about the pink!]

Yeah i haven't seen an expansion, but it certainly hasn't declined as fast as you would think for a console selling so badly with software not moving.

antonz

I thought everyone was buying a DS to play pirated games for free. That's what I read a lot at least.

The DS was a software selling monster for most of its life. It was the last 2 years or so where Sales plummeted to near non existent levels in regions like Europe where R4 cards etc were massively popular.

What's even worse is that Nintendo was the King of the world before releasing the wiiu. Yet, the dreamcast sold better.

Sega was burned by lots of gamers since the 32x and saturn, had a bad image and the ps2 hype was huge.

Keep in mind that in 1999-2000, the market was smaller.

It's unbelievable how nintendo fucked up. I think they are done in the home console market.

The DS was a software selling monster for most of its life. It was the last 2 years or so where Sales plummeted to near non existent levels in regions like Europe where R4 cards etc were massively popular.

Well even with DS it needs to me remembered that is was software selling monster only as an handheld. It is actually pretty surprising at least to me how much more software home consoles tend to sell. PS3 has actually a chance to overtake DS in software shipments.

Only 8 of those 9 quarters had the GBA available worldwide though. So even with dramatically less time available worldwide and ignoring the fact that we're giving the 3DS a huge handicap of an entire additional quarter of tracking it still loses. That's not a difference to ignore man.

So Wii-U is exchanging blows with Dreamcast and losing? As it should. Christ, why did you destroy consumer confidence Sega! You finally got it right again!
Sega was losing way too much money and consumer interest was all over the PS2. One of those strange times were games didn't actually made a difference.

At the least Nintendo made the cycle interesting again, this time at expense of the success of their home console line. They just need to play the patience card, it would be interesting to see how things pan out for them this holliday if they chose not to drop price. I think that would be a risky move that might be of benefit to them and the experiment will prove how plausible their chances are to come up with profits out of the Wii U endevour.

antonz

Well even with DS it needs to me remembered that is was software selling monster only as an handheld. It is actually pretty surprising at least to me how much more software home consoles tend to sell. PS3 has actually a chance to overtake DS in software shipments.

Yeah Handhelds lose out in the end overall since like 2/3 of the development community ignores them. That's why its so important that Handhelds don't lose what they have. I mean once solid supporters like SE are even shifting a lot away from handhelds.

What games did the Dreamcast have that holiday season?

September launch titles:

Airforce Delta, Blue Stinger, Expendable, Flag to Flag, House of the Dead 2, Hydro Thunder, Monaco Grand Prix, Mortal Kombat Gold, NFL 2K, NFL Blitz 2000, Pen Pen Trilcelon, Power Stone, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, TNN Motorsports Hardcore Heat, Tokyo Xtreme Racer, and Trickstyle.

The honest reason is that one day upper NPD management decided "There's no point in sharing data for free, and we get enough publicity as-is from only revealing the Top 10, so why bother anymore?"----so they stopped giving out any kind of numerical data.

I guess all that about Sony not wanting to talk about NPD figures anymore was an urban legend, fanboy drivel and it's all NPD being selfish.

Should Sony be concnerned when the PS4 inevitably sells worse than the PS3 and PS2?

Yes they should, on the plus side they're expected to dominate worldwide over xbox quite convincibgly like this gen.

i am talking about the casual market. not just the audience the wii brought in, but the one that usually buys inexpensive or valuable hardware (the ps2's fanbase and the 360's late fanbase as well).

consider the 3ds the canary in the goldmine. if something very definite is happening one once incredibly stable and successful part of the market (even when the ds was facing a huge uphill battle, the psp and the gba kept on trucking), it probably doesn't mean that everything else is just hunky dory.
I'd again disagree, in that I think you're conflating two different markets into one.

Despite the handheld and home console markets being both ostensibly part of the wider gaming industry, I do not see, for instance, competition from Angry Birds for the hearts and minds of children and young people's market, the bread and butter of the handheld market - essentially its equivalent "casual market", as some sort of weather vane for the part of the home console market, the "casual market" that buys annualized COD, Madden and FIFA.

I do not see the overlap between the 25 year old male buying these franchises and smart device only gaming, because again, I do not see them as good substitutes. When they do become good substitutes then I can most certainly see them eating into this particular market much more. But I don't think we're there yet.

I can also foresee issues in the future whereby these younger audiences now fully associate gaming with such devices, but I don't think we're there yet either.
Yeah, it pretty much is reverting to GBA levels. ... There are regional differences in the sales (3DS is weaker in the US, stronger elsewhere), but the worldwide numbers are similar.
We're talking about the US handheld market though, and whether or not it's in decline or reverting to GBA levels. Where it frankly seems far more like the former, and software is much lower as well as far as I'm aware.

It is too expensive, I agree.
Sega was losing way too much money and consumer interest was all over the PS2. One of those strange times were games didn't actually made a difference.

At the least Nintendo made the cycle interesting again, this time at expense of the success of their home console line. They just need to play the patience card, it would be interesting to see how things pan out for them this holliday if they chose not to drop price. I think that would be a risky move that might be of benefit to them and the experiment will prove how plausible their chances are to come up with profits out of the Wii U endevour.
I think the various comments from senior management have made it clear they don't really plan to drop the price. They're betting on bundles being enough to move the needle it seems.

RPGamer92

Banned
I guess all that about Sony not wanting to talk about NPD figures anymore was an urban legend, fanboy drivel and it's all NPD being selfish.

Yes they should, on the plus side they're expected to dominate worldwide over xbox quite convincibgly like this gen.
Wasn't that back when PS3 was selling like shit though?

kswiston

Wasn't that back when PS3 was selling like shit though?

We were still getting full hardware numbers, and numbers for the top 10 (ungrouped) software titles in early 2010. At that point, the PS3 was only slightly behind the 360 on a month to month basis. We received way more numbers when the PS3 was actually in the selling like shit range.

LOCK

I feel I should note that the Nikkei said the following:

And that Iwata said the following:

Unless they intend to try to shove an IBM CPU and AMD GPU into a handheld (lol), chances are they're interested in using mobile parts for both their handhelds and consoles, while upclocking/using more powerful ones in their consoles.

---

Take your pick, sans the on screen buttons:
I can see them making games that will be for both. Maybe their next handheld will be a less bulky Wii U Gamepad that can be used as a controller for their next console. Buy a game and it comes with the console and handheld versions together.

It would be sweet.

September launch titles:

Airforce Delta, Blue Stinger, Expendable, Flag to Flag, House of the Dead 2, Hydro Thunder, Monaco Grand Prix, Mortal Kombat Gold, NFL 2K, NFL Blitz 2000, Pen Pen Trilcelon, Power Stone, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, TNN Motorsports Hardcore Heat, Tokyo Xtreme Racer and Trickstyle

If you were to line up the Dreamcast release with the Wii-U release, arguably, the Dreamcast actually had a better library of games in its first ten months than the Wii-U does now.

Daingurse

If you were to line up the Dreamcast release with the Wii-U release, arguably, the Dreamcast actually had a better library of games in its first ten months than the Wii-U does now.

Arguably?

ibinQD8JF4amKW.gif

I don't think it's too bold to say definitively.

Arguably?

ibinQD8JF4amKW.gif

I don't think it's too bold to say definitively.

I said arguably because I don't have a list of the games released in the first ten months for both consoles. But it certainly did feel that way, The Dreamcast's first party line-up trumped NIntendo's in that time frame. Sega didn't even have EA on their side (well NIntendo doesn't really either). and they still managed to release some really solid sports games that sold really well on the machine.

Top Bottom