• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2013 [Up2: 3DS Minimum, AC:NL, LM2/NSMBU LTDs, Xbox 360]

Petrae

Wii U will have healthy sales in August thanks to Pikmin.

Sorry, no. Niche IP doesn't translate to sudden unit sales boost. The best possible scenario for WiiU is "healthy sales relative to WiiU sales history"-- which says little about the actual health of the platform.

Busaiku

Atlus must be really happy with 3DS.
If even Etrian Odyssey IV is the best selling in the franchise, Shin Megami Tensei IV is huge for them.

AniHawk

17 to 32 is a pretty big gap.

the vita's performing worse now than it ever did in japan. or even worse than the wii u ever performed.

i still think that it can be turned around. it's like the system's a ghost. sony needs to drop the price, get some games out there, and advertise it some more. and none of that 'if you own a vita, people will want to kill you' shit. make an ad that makes the device look fun and like something you would want to own.

Mr Swine

Banned
the vita's performing worse now than it ever did in japan. or even worse than the wii u ever performed.

i still think that it can be turned around. it's like the system's a ghost. sony needs to drop the price, get some games out there, and advertise it some more. and none of that 'if you own a vita, people will want to kill you' shit. make an ad that makes the device look fun and like something you would want to own.

Sony needs to drop the price to $149, memory cards to half its price and release a lot of western games each month to come out of the grave. Even the Wii U is selling better than it and it costs more than Vita :/

20k units for Wii U is straight up an apocalyptic scenario for Nintendo this gen. I don't see how this platform can go on dragging itself for the next 5 years.

SmokyDave

with a creamsugar post its a bit of a leap to even hope for that
I doubt the 17k number was chosen at random. 16,xxx seems likely.

I'm hoping for a large price drop not long after the PS4 releases, so I can grab one for remote play. Maybe it'll see some resurgence.
I have a funny feeling that when they're being fire-sold a lot of people will pick one up and then post LTTP threads about how great the device is. By then it'll be too late :(

Boke1879

wii u still does, it still has price cut and decent releases cards to play

Nintendo really squandered a whole year with the Wii U. It had a year on the market all by itself. Right now what would a price drop do against the Xb1 and PS4? Next year it might have a chance. Hell I plan on getting one next year, but it's not looking good. We'll see though.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The Wii U has to be close enough to the low-30s to make creamsugar question whether or not it broke the record this month. If it were low-20s, I don't think he would hesitate to just say "new record." But that's just, like, my opinion.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's pretty sad that even the ps3 at $600 never got as low as the wii u is now.

The PS3 had software, with the promise of a lot more down the road from 3rd parties. People could justify splurging for its expensive entry cost if they really wanted to buy into the Sony brand.

Honestly, if Wii U is at ~30k this month I'd be surprised. The first and second quarter 2013 has been the Long Walk into the Cursed Earth for the system with almost no content and nearly total silence from 3rd parties outside of Ubisoft.

Freki

Going by the posts until now this is roughly the picture for July:

3DS - 150,000
360 - 107,000
PS3 - 79,000
Wii ~ 35.000
3DS ~ 31.000
WiiU ~ 29.000
Vita ~ 16.000

Mory Dunz

wii u still does, it still has price cut and decent releases cards to play

I don't even know anymore....

What does fighting chance mean btw?
Winning?
Somehow reaching 50 Million worldwide?
Reaching N64? Reaching GC\?

Well, at least when I'll but it I'll enjoy it because it will have some of my favorite games. (Probably when Smash comes out.)

I have a plan for Nintendo. Scrap the system, release Wii 2 fall of 14 and pretend the Wii U really was just a tablet add on for the Wii.

I think it might just work.

29,000 isn't good, but I'm glad it wasn't lower. Sub-20K would've been disastrous.

Those nine...thousand... consumers really make the difference...

Muzy72

Banned
Why is it that the 2 consoles I'm rooting for are selling worse than the fucking DS? That's downright depressing :(

Never understood Minecraft's popularity. Even little kids know about it. They want Minecraft birthday themed parties now, $250 Minecraft fondant cakes, Minecraft colors during the parties. Crazy!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
SMTIV shouldn't have been on the 3DS in the first place.

u jello m8?

terrible WiiU sales, but it still has some cards to play.

Vita is just...well. There really are no words for how bad it is. Selling the same amount it does in japan in one week?

erased-from-existence-o.gif

Top Bottom