• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2014 [Up1: 3DS LTDs, Wii U LTDs, Tomodachi]

Hmm, that's earlier than I thought. Fair enough. But wasn't Walking Dead pretty popular by then? I'm just figuring there's some crossover between the people who'd like Walking Dead and also enjoy TLOU.

I was wrong, but to rebutt your point, popularity in franchise doesn't always translate to sales in another. Even and especially if its a different and well made take on the same idea.

Welfare

So in thread we've learned:
- Surprise Birthday Presents are bad
- 81K is suddenly acceptable
- The DS is back.

Feel like I'm missing something.

Every reasonable Nintendo fnas needs this engraved somewhere so as to not forget it,

Vita rising
and SmokyDave too

Trogdor1123

I was going to pick up a Vita this month but found out it doesn't support TV out. Between no TV out and the expensive proprietary memory cards, I had to buy a PSP 3000 for my tactics ogre fix instead. I am disappointed as I wanted to buy a Vita.

If these trends continue.... EHHHHHHH!

Sad that they don't show the needed alacrity to accompany the situation they are in. Nor does it seem like they are prepared for the changing market. So maybe desperation is a bad word choice. I just have no confidence in them as a company anymore.

I will enjoy the shit out of their games, and I will buy the ones I want, but I have zero expectations of them being around for very long. Which saddens me. I just haven't seen the response to the situation they are in that should be expected out of them.

1. Did you not watch their E3 direct and other subsequent announcements?
Have you not watched the various tournaments or witnessed the turnaround in sales and perception of their various platforms?

2. QOL

truth411

Especially since it had a budget of what was it, 60,000,000?

Selling 5 million of just uncharted 2 for example, especially since it is first party, puts massive profits for the series. Hundreds of millions made on the series no doubt. That is success.

If memory serves me correctly, Uncharted 2 only cost 20 million to make. They had there fundamental game engine made with Uncharted 1.

Duxxy3

So in thread we've learned:
- Surprise Birthday Presents are bad
- 81K is suddenly acceptable
- The DS is back.
- Vita's monthly has surpassed its Japanese weekly sales.

Feel like I'm missing something.
EDIT:
Oh yeah.
- Gies is a resident psychic.

Every reasonable Nintendo fnas needs this engraved somewhere so as to not forget it,

I'm convinced that the 3DS is the least needed successor of all time. The DS would be well over 200 million if Nintendo kept creating games for it, and kept making systems.

xaszatm

Banned
I think people often overestimate how well a giant franchise like Kart will do even on a flopping console.
It's obviously selling well and it moved a few consoles (like most reasonable people have predicted), but it was never going to "save" the WiiU. The odd hardware design, half-serving marketing, confusing branding, mismatched software ecosystem, and 8 month long 2013 drought are powerful forces that have deeply wounded this system. There is almost no coming back from mistakes like that in this industry.

In addition, Mario Kart tend to be rolling hits. The game obviously is doing well and continue to do between average and well for a while, but it won't "save" the console.

That being said, I do think winning the race is no longer a concern for Nintendo at this point. I think the goal now is to bring the Wii U back to profits. This still is (unfortunately) an extremely difficult goal but by no means does it seem impossible. If Nintendo can keep this steady rise it might eventually break even. That's really all we can expect from the Wii U at this point. Now granted I could be wrong and Smash Wii U or another Nintendo game will suddenly convert the non-believers to the one true religion but I'm not holding my breath.

PS3 wasn't supplied constrained. I remember seeing them on shelves as early as January and February of 2007. I'm sure 360 had a similar situation in 2006 as well.

im almost positive the first numerous months of the ps3 were supply constrained, and even longer for the 360. I very well could be wrong though, and even if they werent they were both being hugely outsold by the wii, which this comparison seems to ignore.

I was wrong, but to rebutt your point, popularity in franchise doesn't always translate to sales in another. Even and especially if its a different and well made take on the same idea.
Yeah, but I think there were more factors that helped TLOU than hurt it (ND's reputation, PS3 momentum, zombies being popular again, marketing etc.)

Have you not watched the various tournaments or witnessed the turnaround in sales and perception of their various platforms?

2. QOL
I think you're reaching here regarding the Wii U, if the 81k number is true.

RPGamer92

Banned
im almost positive the first numerous months of the ps3 were supply constrained, and even longer for the 360. I very well could be wrong though, and even if they were they were both being hugely outsold by the wii, which this comparison seems to ignore.
I vividly remember seeing quite a few PS3s on shelves in early 2007. And this was a store in big mall at that. Could've been an outlier though.

No retail only

Thanks.

So why so much concern software sales down compared to last year when we all (should) know that digital sales are growing hugely each year whilst retail is declining naturally?

Whats the ballpark percentage for the growth in digital revenue year to year? 15-30%?

No Gamecrate numbers means that it's back to business as usual in this thread.

PS4/TLOU:R being No1 is awesome.

*Subscribed for later viewing at ungodly hours of the day*

Sony is crushing it this gen.

Wow.

Sony has done a really nice job with the PS4 this gen; SCE knew exactly who the PS's audience was, and they catered to their every need with PS4's design/software ecosystem/marketing/branding/etc.
It almost feels as though the PS3-disaster had never occurred and they continued kicking butt after the PS2. They really do deserve the success they've achieved.

Too bad Nintendo and MS weren't as competent....
Nintendo's WiiU blunders are especially heart wrenching to me since I enjoy AAA-"AA" casual/family-oriented console software, and now that stuff doesn't have an incredibly healthy home to go to.

PS3 wasn't supplied constrained. I remember seeing them on shelves as early as January and February of 2007. I'm sure 360 had a similar situation in 2006 as well.
Nope. 360's were very hard to find in the beginning of 2006. I myself had to join Sam's Club, it was the only way I could get one in my area.

Thanks.

So why so much concern software sales down compared to last year when we all (should) know that digital sales are growing hugely each year whilst retail is declining naturally?

Whats the ballpark percentage for the growth in digital revenue year to year? 15-30%?

Ubisoft's quarterly reflected something like 10% - 12% digital sales on current gen consoles. I'm pretty sure digital was 5 - 7% on consoles in earlier years so the growth really isn't that fast

Mory Dunz

In addition, Mario Kart tend to be rolling hits. The game obviously is doing well and continue to do between average and well for a while, but it won't "save" the console.

That being said, I do think winning the race is no longer a concern for Nintendo at this point. I think the goal now is to bring the Wii U back to profits. This still is (unfortunately) an extremely difficult goal but by no means does it seem impossible. If Nintendo can keep this steady rise it might eventually break even. That's really all we can expect from the Wii U at this point. Now granted I could be wrong and Smash Wii U or another Nintendo game will suddenly convert the non-believers to the one true religion but I'm not holding my breath.

Hm, I wonder how many WW million sellers they possibly have left. Seems like software is all they have right now:
- Smash
- A Pokemon Stadium esque if it exists (maybe)
- Kirby (Maybe....depending on Japan mostly)
- Zelda

Am I missing anything.

I'm going to say no to Yoshi, and Xenoblade, and Captain Toad. But I'm just guessing.

Dire

Holy shit. Here I thought consoles were in decline and these might the last console generation. This is amazing, really.

Ignoring the biggest player in last gen for a gen vs gen comparison is amazing? Well I suppose it is, but not in the way you're implying.

That number is also heavily inflated because of the launch. Sales post-launch have been on a steady decline relative to last gen. This is an ever present issue of this gen - but one that will inevitably fade. Unless there is some genuine demand for these consoles we may end up falling below last gen as early as this holiday season. The fact such an unprecedentedly enormous launch could be erased after just one year goes to show a more accurate picture of the state of sales.

tebunker

Banned

2. QOL

No dude, that's not moving with alacrity or realizing the market is changing faster than the company is moving.

I am excited for all of those games, but that is pretty much just them pleasing the people that jumped on board with them for the Wii U before they move on. Personally I feel like they are a year behind. They were caught flat footed and still haven't shown they can run. Maybe they fix that going forward, but I haven't seen it yet.

QOL has nothing to do with gaming, and honestly I can see why they will add more things like that.

Honestly I would just like to see them stop being such an ultra conservative company. They can still do all of the things they do great and more by allowing their people the freedom to grow and get out and do it.

I vividly remember seeing quite a few PS3s on shelves in early 2007. And this was a store in big mall at that. Could've been an outlier though.

hm very possible, either way i def remember that it was selling like crap once it wasnt supply constrained. 360 i could of sworn was supply constrained longer, and this still all is irrelevant since the wii was outselling them both (and both combined if i remember correctly)

Ignoring the biggest player in last gen for a gen vs gen comparison is amazing? Well I suppose it is, but not in the way you're implying.

That number is also heavily inflated because of the launch. Sales post-launch have been on a steady decline relative to last gen. This is an ever present issue of this gen - but one that will inevitably fade. Unless there is some genuine demand for these consoles we may end up falling below last gen as early as this holiday season. The fact such an unprecedentedly enormous launch could be erased after just one year goes to show a more accurate picture of the state of sales.
This is good and all but you're forgetting the part where PS4 is trending between Wii and PS2 levels.

And not every developer is SquareEnix.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I kind of... don't like this.

Why? There have been so many people on this thread praising TLOU, which they would not have been able to play were it not for the remaster. I'm all for good games reaching as wide an audience as possible.

Ubisoft's quarterly reflected something like 10% - 12% digital sales on current gen consoles. I'm pretty sure digital was 5 - 7% on consoles in earlier years so the growth really isn't that fast

Ok, but surely big AAAA titles from the likes of Ubisoft aren't going to see digital sales increase massively compared to indie titles from indie devs' digital revenue.

Aren't indies getting more important for the industry each year ergo digital revenue increasing yoy at a faster rate than AAAA titles?

So my point would be that NPD doesn't track this grpwing spurce of revenue and just the naturally declining retail revenue stream.

Top Bottom