• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2014 [Up1: 3DS LTDs, Wii U LTDs, Tomodachi]

Boke1879

I kind of... don't like this.

Eh Sony will remaster games they KNOW will sell and has an audience. GTA V remaster will sell well based on name alone.

Metro Redux is a remaster done right and should get all the support.

I don't see other remasters fairing too well though.

Xando

Impressive for TLOUR.

Quite a few pubs will be licking their chops with more remasters.
The only remasters that will be as succesfull as TLOUR will probably be GTA V and MCC. Cant see any other remaster do much, especially with the big multiplatforms about to come out.

So PS4 + XBO should be around/less than 384K.

And Wii U should be around/less than 81K.

Depending upon how loosely PR is rounding. I.e. being up 58% would probably still be considered being up "nearly 60%" and would be around 74K. Likewise Callahan's "close to 80%" could be something like 78%.

Hmm, software down, but wonder if software will be up next month with quite a few releases coming for current gen.

Dire

Impressive for TLOUR.

Quite a few pubs will be licking their chops with more remasters.

Have actual numbers been released?

While Minecraft is selling well it's not exactly a hugely hyped title that just had its [re]release launch. It would have been fairly absurd to expect TLOU to lose to it or pretty much anything else on this list.

Put another way, stick me in a 200m dash against a fatcamp and I'm gonna win. Doesn't mean I'm destined for the olympics!

Yeah, but I think there were more factors that helped TLOU than hurt it (ND's reputation, PS3 momentum, zombies being popular again, marketing etc.)

I think you're reaching here regarding the Wii U, if the 81k number is true.

How so?

The numbers are better than last year. (if true) And in a month with little to no retail games pushing said number. I'm not saying it's a miracle but I'm just saying it's improvement from last year. Any positive 'momentum' at this point is a welcome sight.

This is good and all but you're forgetting the part where PS4 is trending between Wii and PS2 levels.

And not every developer is SquareEnix.

but you also have to account that the wii and even teh ps2 were supply constrained for very long. How long was it until the wii supply=demand? it was a LONG time i remember that

Cess007

I'm sure some publisher will try to cash in this remasters, but they may learn that it only works if the game it's actually really, really good (or includes massive improvements/extra content). Otherwise, i don't think they would get much success imo.

Ok, but surely big AAAA titles from the likes of Ubisoft aren't going to see digital sales increase massively compared to indie titles from indie devs' digital revenue.

Aren't indies getting more important for the industry each year ergo digital revenue increasing yoy at a faster rate than AAAA titles?

So my point would be that NPD doesn't track this grpwing spurce of revenue and just the naturally declining retail revenue stream.

Hmm but I haven't seen any objective evidence that suggests the surge in indie revenue on consoles is making up for the declining retail sales so to me it's a nice theory that I don't particularly subscribe to but each their own?

Game Guru

81K is acceptable in comparison to how the Wii U has previously done since it's double the sales of last year. Yeah, it won't outdo the GameCube, but Nintendo, at least, isn't treating it like Sony is treating the Vita in the US.

Quite frankly as far as North America is concerned, things have probably settled onto PS4 in first, XB1 in second, 3DS in third, Wii U in fourth, and Vita in fifth and there is no changing that.

shandy706

July is typically a quiet month for software sales, representing about 5 percent of annual sales,” said Callahan. “Typically, EA’s NCAA Football launches in July, and often ranks as the top game. As that title is no longer being produced,...- NPD

I read that...and instantly lost any other interest in this NPD. Why did you have to remind me.

SUCKS SO MUCH.

LH-cry.gif

rain-crying.gif

We're still getting new IP tho. The Tomorrow Children just came out of nowhere and fascinated me, Cuphead looks great, Rime is looking good, we're getting stuff like Sunset and The Order, and who knows what else.

I think the remakes will slow down once cross-gen dies off.

We're still getting new IP tho. The Tomorrow Children just came out of nowhere and fascinated me, Cuphead looks great, Rime is looking good, we're getting stuff like Sunset and The Order, and who knows what else.

I think the remakes will slow down once cross-gen dies off.

Cuphead and Rime... so good looking!

udivision

Hm, I wonder how many WW million sellers they possibly have left. Seems like software is all they have right now:
- Smash
- A Pokemon Stadium esque if it exists (maybe)
- Kirby (Maybe....depending on Japan mostly)
- Zelda

Am I missing anything.

I'm going to say no to Yoshi, and Xenoblade, and Captain Toad. But I'm just guessing.

It's a shame Xenoblade X has no chance, especially because it doesn't look like a cheap game.

Sami+

I think it's fine for games that never came out on PC, or were exclusive to a specific console. Supply constrained games like Xenoblade and entire collections like Uncharted would be really nice IMO.

Depends on the game though. Not all remasters will get the same attention as TloU, GTAV or MCC
Sure, at the same time though, the profit vs expense margin is probably lucrative enough that many would go for it, like we saw last gen. Not every remaster will sell as much or be as big, but the development costs also are nowhere as high, making the choice pretty straightforward.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Why? There have been so many people on this thread praising TLOU, which they would not have been able to play were it not for the remaster. I'm all for good games reaching as wide an audience as possible.

Because it gives some publishers an excuse to be lazy I guess. I didn't mind PS2 remasters because those games were coming into HD for the first time but PS3 -> PS4 is kind of unnecessary.

81K is acceptable in comparison to how the Wii U has previously done since it's double the sales of last year. Yeah, it won't outdo the GameCube, but Nintendo, at least, isn't treating it like Sony is treating the Vita in the US.

Quite frankly as far as North America is concerned, things have probably settled onto PS4 in first, XB1 in second, 3DS in third, Wii U in fourth, and Vita in fifth and there is no changing that.
I'm pretty sure legacy platforms come in above Vita...

As to being acceptable, it's a matter of lowered expectations I guess. But for context, this is (at best) still worse than the worst $599 PS3 number, despite the release of the biggest game the platform will likely have. And it's about a third or more less than the equivalent month GCN sales. It's a far cry better than the 29K or so it did last year though.

Damn Titanfall dissapearing from chart.

Biggest flop since Haze?

Still a lot of Titanfall salt around. It seems a lot of people want to believe it was a failure SO MUCH that they completely ignore all the facts..

As we're posting in the NPD a good place to start would be the best sellers on amazon.com in 2014, titanfall recently overtook PS4 watch dogs to become the third highest selling video game this year.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames

So it sold better on Xbox one than watch dogs could on the ps4 platform with a bigger user base... poor flop

Also take into account that this doesn't even take into consideration the bundles also sold on amazon, bundles for the first month in the whole US were leaked by creamsugar to be around 200k+, I'd imagine that number has at least doubled, just in the US since. Floppy wop.

Next up user cream sugar leaked some numbers suggesting it's launch month in the US it sold over a million copies. For reference, the leaked figures for infamous were around 500k. lol flop

There's tons more evidence out there but I'll just include one more piece as we're talking about TLOU:

This is from the PAL Chart thread Week 31 here on Neogaf.

Biggest launches of 2014 in the UK:

01 (NE) WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 388,000 / NEW
02 (NE) TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 127,015 / NEW
03 (NE) WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 82,050 / NEW
04 (NE) INFAMOUS: SECOND SON (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT) - 69,666 / NEW
05 (NE) THE LAST OF US: REMASTERED (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT) -

Comfortably over double TLOU and nearly double Second son. Again against competition on a platform with a bigger user base. Flip Flop.

EA must be wiping their teary eyes with $100 bills over the huge failure that is floptanfall.

This isn't taking into account the 360 version or the PC versions which both seem to be doing well, you can check amazon charts for the 360 game. Obviously most PC sales are digital.

If anyone doubts this you can check for yourself. I'm on a tablet and can't find creamsugars posts, if someone else could that'd be great.

Valentus you must either believe that every game launched in 2014 is a giant flop or it's time to dust off that dictionary and flip to F.

Now move those goal posts.

Mory Dunz

Well, to be fair, they didn't really have a choice. They couldn't afford not to try to get as much software sold as possible on the Wii U.

That being said, I'll still be buying a lot games in this next year.

It's making me wonder if we'll see fewer new IPs this gen if devs are spending their resources pumping out reboots.
I think you're overestimating the amount of resources required for these remastered games (not reboots). It doesn't take as much time away as you think. Actually, they bring in additional revenue for (relatively) less effort. More income for devs means more resources at their disposal.

Hmm but I haven't seen any objective evidence that suggests the surge in indie revenue on consoles is making up for the declining retail sales so to me it's a nice theory that I don't particularly subscribe to but each their own?

Sorry for the typos on my phone.

Cool I'm gonna do some research into this when I get back shortly.

Thanks.

So why so much concern software sales down compared to last year when we all (should) know that digital sales are growing hugely each year whilst retail is declining naturally?

Whats the ballpark percentage for the growth in digital revenue year to year? 15-30%?

Overall spending on software is growing and has been for a few years now.

How so?

The numbers are better than last year. (if true) And in a month with little to no retail games pushing said number. I'm not saying it's a miracle but I'm just saying it's improvement from last year. Any positive 'momentum' at this point is a welcome sight.
I'd figure at this point Wii U would have a library that'd have the system doing better than 81k in a slow month, since that means they won't be doing anything more than 300k in say November (I'm just guessing here).

They're better than last year but they're still not healthy.

but you also have to account that the wii and even teh ps2 were supply constrained for very long. How long was it until the wii supply=demand? it was a LONG time i remember that
Well how long was it before PS2 supply=demand? I don't think PS4 is going to have a Wii-like effect...it might actually be better if it doesn't.

Something closer to PS1/PS2 sales trends is healthier and seeing as they're still just warming up on the 1st-party front and most big games aren't dropping 'till next year and later, let alone Morpheus, I think it might be possible.

Mory Dunz

It's a shame Xenoblade X has no chance, especially because it doesn't look like a cheap game.

There's no way Smash would made up its budget had it only been on the Wii U.

Maybe Xenoblade X can have a horrible version to come out on the 3DS later. For the sequel.

I'm pretty sure legacy platforms come in above Vita...

As to being acceptable, it's a matter of lowered expectations I guess. But for context, this is (at best) still worse than the worst $599 PS3 number, despite the release of the biggest game the platform will likely have. And it's about a third or more less than the equivalent month GCN sales. It's a far cry better than the 29K or so it did last year though.

mario kart is probably the biggest seller overall, but i would think smash and zelda have bigger debuts and push more systems. mario kart is more like most mario games... good consistent long term sellers, but not huge system movers

Xenon

Because it gives some publishers an excuse to be lazy I guess. I didn't mind PS2 remasters because those games were coming into HD for the first time but PS3 -> PS4 is kind of unnecessary.

I wonder what percentage were double dips.

Top Bottom