• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2014 [Up1: 3DS LTDs, Wii U LTDs, Tomodachi]

Toki767

Grimløck;125460866 said:
that can't be right. that top hat wearing junior told me that his reports stated that the bone was ahead this month.

He's currently busy in that other thread trying to convince himself that Microsoft wasn't trying to deceive people.

Game Guru

This is who I was referring to SwiftDeath btw and I have seen a few others with this argument. If this opinion is based on NPD software figures, which doesn't track digital revenue, then it is highly flawed surely, because generally, everyone in the industry is predicting digital revenue to increase massively each year. With a quick search (and this perhaps contradicts my point about indie digital revenue growing faster than AAAA title digital revenue), EA's Peter Moore expects digital revenues to overtake physical revenues in 2 YEARS.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...al-revenues-to-overtake-physical-in-two-years

So his opinion must be based off data that shows digital revenues are increasing year-to-year massively whilst retail is declining (at what rate it's hard to know).

So basically, my point is that it is highly flawed to use NPD software sales as evidence of a declining console industry when NPD don't track digital. In this month's NPD results, for example, a 15% decline in retail software sales could be made up and then some by growth in digital revenue's yoy growth.

What do people think? Have I totally missed something obvious in this or what?

I think Ubisoft said that 10% of Watch_Dog's eighth generation sales on consoles were digital. This is compared to 70% of PC sales. I think the big issue with consoles and handhelds adopting digital is that they are too dependent on retail for hardware sales. If people are moving to digital primarily, it makes more sense to support PC and mobile.

The bolded are their problems. Maybe that's not 75%, but that sounds about right. Even things that aren't inherently bad like "focus on kids/families" are considered their problem since that target market seems to be taken by the mobile market, which makes it seem like they're not actually targetting anyone (hi, Wii U).

Yes, I am ridiculously pessimistic, but you can blame Nintendo for that.

I'm not so sure... Many mobile developers and even Apple themselves are frustrated at the current mobile market, which is generally full of F2P Skinner Boxes that end up popular due to the luck of becoming viral. Just because Nintendo will be more niche compared to the mobile market doesn't mean crap if the majority of developers just can't make any money on mobile. If indies and Japan end up making more and steady income off of the more niche Nintendo fanbase over the more popular mobile platforms then they will make games for Nintendo platforms over mobile platforms.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Xbox family < PS4
WiiU + XB1 < PS4 + PS3

A4itwgV.gif

Ty4on

To me it seems like the XB1 did better than expected (GAF predictions). If the split is 240-140 for PS4 and XB1 the PS4 wouldn't need help from the PS3 beating the XB1 and WiiU.

DryvBy

This post would have been fighting words an hour ago. Funny, I had completely forgotten about that meltdown until folks brought it up again. Hmmm, lets get back to being forgotten.

Sorry. I had a rough couple of months. Death in my family, turning the big 3-0, missed out on a promotion Tuesday, plus a bunch of other whiny things. I can't explain how my day went from another depressing dull day to getting a system I wanted for solely playing with my wife on rainy days. Just in that good mood tonight. Was glad one person couldn't rain on my parade here.

I'm completely OT so back to posting normally now. When's the estimate on them posting the close enough numbers for total sales? I want to see if I was right. First time voting on these results.

Reading that PR is like a Bizarro world last gen. Sony are now trumpeting their success and using pretty much exactly the same words MS were using. MS just mumbles some vague one liner.

I don't agree with this. I would think there would be a large group of them who would just wait for Halo to come out to get it.

It's similar to saying that the bulk of GT and Uncharted fans already have a PS4 which I don't agree with either (or would say).
Yea, but that group is obviously not so interested in graphics upgrades or are price sensitive. Otherwise they'd have bought an XB1 already. I can see that group buying an XB1 for Halo 5, but have a harder time seeing them buying the console for a graphical upgrade to a game they are already playing.

The one flaw to that theory is the number of people who haven't played one of the earlier Halo games. To them Halo MCC would count as a new game.

I honestly don't think so. The game should do really well in November and December. And in terms of the months after, I think Halo MMC will still sell decently -- even possibly after Halo 5 comes out. I don't think Halo MMC will be impacted by a new entry in its series the same way Titanfall (1) will.
I agree with this. If fact I can see the people who waited for Halo 5 to buy an XB1 will probably pick up Halo MMC around that time too. This is especially true since it will cost less by then.

Top Bottom