• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2014 [Up1: 3DS LTDs, Wii U LTDs, Tomodachi]

FBI Watch List has me dead.

4398251+_e7f592573fd2eaed85a9d5726bb535b5.jpeg

So.if im not mistaken. Ms said the battle starts next month right? Its also Japan release month?

This will be a juicy September. I can already see a whole 10k sold in Osaka alone.

Lol but when TGS actually? End of the month?

I'm not one of the group who thinks Nintendo will make a hybrid system, giving up on having two revenue streams.

No one should be part of that group; a hybrid would be a very suicidal move on the big N's part.
At this point it's pretty clear that we're going to see a few ("high" to low end/home to portable) Nintendo branded machines that are very similar to each other terms of their internal architecture, aesthetic, marketing, and branding.
They really wanna nip this drought thing in the bud while also being incredibly independent, and this is probably the best way to do that.

So.if im not mistaken. Ms said the battle starts next month right? Its also Japan release month?

This will be a juicy September. I can already see a whole 10k sold in Osaka alone.

Lol but when TGS actually? End of the month?

Ha.

Xbox sold 123,929 systems in its opening week in Japan, and 472,992 lifetime sales.

Xbox 360 sold 62,135 systems in its opening week in Japan, and 1,614,619 lifetime sales.

...Xbox One isn't going anywhere in that region. :p

vin-buc

Nintendo? Yes, probably so. Nintendo absolutely needs to have a healthy console in the marketplace for their company to survive.

Microsoft? That would be very tricky without providing BC with XBO games. There was a TON of R&D dollars and marketing deals and game development and everything involved in the XBO and this is from a company that really doesn't need the XBO as it is seen as a money-losing boat anchor compared to the revenue generated from their other ventures.

There is not the same level of desperation at MS over a struggling XBO as there is at Nintendo over a struggling Wii-U. Gaming is pretty much all that Nintendo does.

This is probably correct - but they should at least work on a major redesign/size reduction of the box ASAP. A sleek SMALL box could change its image and fit with Phil's E3 mantra of the "New Xbox". It must be tough being twice the volumetric size of your direct competitor yet a lot less powerful than your direct competitor.

BigDug13

This is probably correct - but they should at least work on a major redesign/size reduction of the box ASAP. A sleek SMALL box could change its image and fit with Phil's E3 mantra of the "New Xbox". It must be tough being twice the volumetric size of your direct competitor yet a lot less powerful than your direct competitor.

It's tough though. I think DDR3 plus ESRAM has equal heating issues as GDDR5, maybe even more so.

ethomaz

Banned
True. But they did say battle starts the next 4 months do they even have anything against destiny outside the madden bundle in sept?
They talked about US (NPD to be fair)... they never said the battle will start WW.

But you know... PS4 will mostly crush it in US, UK, Japan, WW, etc in September... Destiny is the biggest PS4 seller of this year.

vin-buc

Another interesting factor are the standalone kinect units that should be going on sale this fall. They have to be dealt with. Black Friday bundle?

They talked about US (NPD to be fair)... they never said the battle will start WW.

But you know... PS4 will mostly crush it in US, UK, Japan, WW, etc in September... Destiny is the biggest PS4 seller of this year.

They really said the battle is going to start? Where did they say that?

Krakn3Dfx

Wait, is someone going to say Madden will put XB1 over the top in September over Destiny, the most pre-ordered game in the history of all the games?

I look forward to seeing that set of numbers.
mrw-my-year-old-truck-started-on-the-first-try-in-sub-zero-temperatures-79831.gif

Madden is gonna sell more on PS4.
Mark these words.

Eh you would have to qualify that as there is a madden XB1 bundle that includes the game at no extra cost [$399]

So XB1 will sell less retail standalone because of that but more overall most likely than if they didn't have the bundle

So PS4 retail standalone versus XB1 retail standalone or versus XB1 retail standalone plus bundle?

This has been a trend for a while.

For example:

May:

57K 360 + 77K XBO < 197K PS4
134K Xbox family < 197K PS4

June:

62K 360 + 197K XBO < 269K PS4 sales
259K Xbox family < 269K PS4

Even so the fact that the 360/Xbox One combined is less than the PS4 and the PS4 alone (with this happening for some time according to your post) is monumental. We went through eight years of the 360 doubling the PS3's numbers and leading the entire industry every month in North America like some kind of unstoppable force that was never ever going to recede.

And now the PS4 is dominating the entire Xbox platform and business in both North America and even more so worldwide just over a year and a half later? Sony's turnaround is miraculous.

Also forgive me I'm coming into the thread quite late. Are we still waiting on hard numbers?

Top Bottom